[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Open the flight computer and click the >> in the lower right. Set the signal delay to 60s, throttle to 100%, burn duration, heading/pitch, then hit burn. Also, you could look into kOS and I think that mechjeb also skips signal delay (presumably because it's basically a flight computer)

Don't forget to set your antennas on an action group and activate them too after a time too!

The problem with the signal delay is that it is not an absolute time from the launch, but relative to the time you send the command. If I want my probe to perform 3 commands within a 20 second window it will be very hard to do this with the signal delay. This becomes even harder when you have to take signal delay due to distance into account. Creating a second field in the flight computer (or manipulating the current one) to perform commands at a fixed time from T would make queueing a lot easier.

I rather stick with RemoteTech than involving other mods for just one piece of functionality :)

does anyone here knows about a good mod to use with RemoteTech to make it possible to go "Unmanned First" and "manned" later?

I've tried BTSM but it doesn't mix well with the mods I would like to use

Funny that's kind of how Better than Wolves didn't play well with other minecraft mods for a long time (not sure if it still does)

Hey guys, thanks for answering about the development being made, I'll patiently wait then, its like I have the resources for lots of probes yet.

Have you guys something about the compatibility with KCT is simulations? Or a cheaty option to disable the requirements momentarily?

As for the compatible mods:

Dmagic orbital science and Scansat are great ones to use with this, giving lot of purpose for probes and satellites,

Sounding rockets are a good one for early unmanned rockets to begin with, after a couple of techs unlocked I always go with unmanned first.

Having a life support too, makes more importantly to go with probes as they will not perish so easily...

The problem with the signal delay is that it is not an absolute time from the launch, but relative to the time you send the command. If I want my probe to perform 3 commands within a 20 second window it will be very hard to do this with the signal delay. This becomes even harder when you have to take signal delay due to distance into account. Creating a second field in the flight computer (or manipulating the current one) to perform commands at a fixed time from T would make queueing a lot easier.

I rather stick with RemoteTech than involving other mods for just one piece of functionality :)

I know it works for nodes, guessing it works for all queued actions: when you open up the flight computer and >> to expand it, you can queue the first action for like 3 minutes out... then if you hit the arrow next to it, it will set the signal delay to just after that node. Put in your next action, hit the > after that action, it'll set the signal delay to after that action...

Give yourself the extra minute or two to queue up everything, then you'll actually have a real countdown to launch: launch when signal delay is 60s :)

Also, I've been playing with 323 for awhile and had few issues. The bold text thing is annoying but not game breaking. Getting like 1 crash every 3 or 4 hours, which is acceptable to me (and I'm playing with a dozen mods, half of which aren't 1.0.2 compatible). I have a full comms network around Kerbin and a partial around Minmus. working on putting one up around the Mun, then it's time to start working toward Duna.

The above problem is essentially why I gave up on bothering with the RT flight computer. There's just no point in trying to use it to queue up a list of actions to occur at a specified future time because the timer is relative to when you manage to finish typing in the parameters and click the commit button. So the time it took to type the actions in affects when they go off. In order to get two commands to fire back-to-back, you have to put a long delay on the first one, commit it, then get the second one set up, and give it a shorter delay than the first one had. then wait ... wait.... wait.... and hit the button......NOW. That just seems utterly ridiculous when presumably the probe HAS a clock on board and can be told to trigger something based on that clock time. The only limitation should be that the command can't go off any earlier than the time it takes to get the signal to the probe. If you set a fixed time that isn't far enough in the future, then it won't go off when you said, and instead goes off once the signal arrives.

This was half of why I gave up on the RT flight computer. The other half was the UI inconistency where SOME fields you MUST press enter after typing for the change to take effect and other fields you must NOT press enter because enter commits the command rather than just the one field you're on. That was such a pain. I have no idea if that's been fixed - this was quite some time ago and I just haven't bothered using it since. kOS is just easier.

- - - Updated - - -

The bold text thing is annoying but not game breaking.

For me it is, not because of the text, but because the text bug is accompanied by a massive drop in framerate, down to less than 10 FPS.

And the boldface text isn't *really* bold, but rather it's the same text being printed again and again on top of itself, which in some cases has made it an unreadable blotch. That probably accounts for the poor FPS - something is printing that text again and again waaaay too many times per update.

Does this dev build of Remote tech work as required in the current version of KSP, or does this still contain serious bug/bugtesting that need addressing? I'd test it out myself but I really don't have the time as it's late as hell here (also I have stuff to do tomorrow and I'll only be able to play in about 19 hours - and I'd prefer to have the answer by then ;-))

https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/releases

Does this dev build of Remote tech work as required in the current version of KSP, or does this still contain serious bug/bugtesting that need addressing? I'd test it out myself but I really don't have the time as it's late as hell here (also I have stuff to do tomorrow and I'll only be able to play in about 19 hours - and I'd prefer to have the answer by then ;-))

I've been using it since Dev build 323. Other than the popup dialogs scrambled text, I haven't had any serious issues with it.

I downloaded one of these two days ago and it has been working in my career mode just fine so far.

The above problem is essentially why I gave up on bothering with the RT flight computer. There's just no point in trying to use it to queue up a list of actions to occur at a specified future time because the timer is relative to when you manage to finish typing in the parameters and click the commit button. So the time it took to type the actions in affects when they go off. In order to get two commands to fire back-to-back, you have to put a long delay on the first one, commit it, then get the second one set up, and give it a shorter delay than the first one had. then wait ... wait.... wait.... and hit the button......NOW. That just seems utterly ridiculous when presumably the probe HAS a clock on board and can be told to trigger something based on that clock time. The only limitation should be that the command can't go off any earlier than the time it takes to get the signal to the probe. If you set a fixed time that isn't far enough in the future, then it won't go off when you said, and instead goes off once the signal arrives.

I'll check when I get back, but I haven't had issues with using the relative button (>) when queuing actions after nodes. What I would really like to see is being able to send it commands that will execute when there is no connection: right now the delay is until it sends the signal, not delayed execution (which is what I would much prefer)

Funny that's kind of how Better than Wolves didn't play well with other minecraft mods for a long time (not sure if it still does)

Ha. Flowerchild, the developer of BTSM and Better Than Wolves specifically and intentionally makes his mods interact poorly with other mods. Kind of his thing.

For the record, I admire him for it. It's insurance on his creative vision, I think.

For me the overlapping text bug isn't minor. It's blocking my progress in my career game because I don't want to do probe work without RT, and whenever this bug manifests, my framerate becomes intolerable - in the single digits.

1.0 or 0.90? Also what mods are key for you?

I was thinking to start a new career in 1.0 with remote tech, scansat, something to build stations, and some life support mod.

Plus stuff like smart parts and some more quality of life mods.

It doesnt really matter if the mods are not yet 1.0 ready. I can wait

For me the overlapping text bug isn't minor. It's blocking my progress in my career game because I don't want to do probe work without RT, and whenever this bug manifests, my framerate becomes intolerable - in the single digits.

Is the overlapping text bug something like this?

qsuWaEx.png

If it is, I will be happy, since I now know it's not my game corrupted, or some other mod problem*...

But also, it makes the campaign unplayable for me (low frame rates, and problems/delays when clicking the right click menu buttons).

I'm at a point where it doesn't make much sense advancing without probes. And I will feel like cheating if I use probes without r.tech.

So :(

Edited by idulort
*wording

And I will feel like cheating if I use probes without r.tech.

I know that feeling. After SCANsat's dev version got updated to 1.0 I couldn't resist and I played a bit, but without RemoteTech I feel like there are no goals.

Is the overlapping text bug something like this?

http://i.imgur.com/qsuWaEx.png

If it is, I will be happy, since I now know it's not my game corrupted, or some other mod problem*...

But also, it makes the campaign unplayable for me (low frame rates, and problems/delays when clicking the right click menu buttons).

I'm at a point where it doesn't make much sense advancing without probes. And I will feel like cheating if I use probes without r.tech.

So :(

Yes, that's it.

And it's being worked on: https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/issues/388

I know that feeling. After SCANsat's dev version got updated to 1.0 I couldn't resist and I played a bit, but without RemoteTech I feel like there are no goals.

Welcome to my world folks, same feeling

does anyone here knows about a good mod to use with RemoteTech to make it possible to go "Unmanned First" and "manned" later?

I've tried BTSM but it doesn't mix well with the mods I would like to use

Ha. Flowerchild, the developer of BTSM and Better Than Wolves specifically and intentionally makes his mods interact poorly with other mods. Kind of his thing.

For the record, I admire him for it. It's insurance on his creative vision, I think.

I've played BTSM a lot and consider it an essential upgrade to KSP to make a career that's challenging and fun and much better than stock career.

FC's goal with BTSM is to make a KSP career with challenging gameplay that he likes. He supports only a few mods to add needed or helpful features (Deadly Reentry, Precise Node, Chatterer). Beyond that, the shear complexity of mod interaction would make FC's work crazy, so I think it's completely understandable.

MisterFister, it's not that FlowerChild makes his mods interact poorly, it's that his work is focused on his mods and he doesn't care about unsupported mods.

BTSM and BTW are total conversion mods, like Europa Barbarorum for Rome Total War (and now v2 for Medieval 2 Total War) or the Subsim.com community fixes to Silent Hunter 5. They do so many changes that its almost impossible to add other independent mods without creating a massive mess.

Adding many other mods, especially parts or science/funds adding mods, to BTSM will often break its gameplay which is the entire point of BTSM.

I mod BTSM beyond what FC supports and I work to make sure I as much as possible respect the spirit of BTSM so my play conditions are similar to other BTSM players. Many others do too.

Also what mods are key for you?

I was thinking to start a new career in 1.0 with remote tech, scansat, something to build stations, and some life support mod.

Plus stuff like smart parts and some more quality of life mods.

It doesnt really matter if the mods are not yet 1.0 ready. I can wait

I meant to ask sooner, what do you mean by "quality of life mods?" I personally follow hundreds of mods, so I can think of a few examples, I'm curious what you were referring to. You mean like Chatterer, Scatterer, EVE, PreciseNode, etc.?

I meant to ask sooner, what do you mean by "quality of life mods?" I personally follow hundreds of mods, so I can think of a few examples, I'm curious what you were referring to. You mean like Chatterer, Scatterer, EVE, PreciseNode, etc.?

"quality of life" as in "makes your life easier" like kerbal engineer, precisenode, tac_fuelbalancer, crew manifest... stuff like that :D

I also have hyperedit and mechjeb, but I don't really use them that much. Hyperedit is there because I may want to test something and mechjeb because after the 1 millionth identical launch to build the space station I'm more interested in doing the approach and docking rather than the launch itself. But I try not to use those too much.

edit

forgot some:

the toolbar,

distant object enhancer

KAS

flight indicators

enhancednavball

navyfish docking thinghy

kerbal alarm clock

I think you get the point :D

edit2

I hope this is not considered spam :D