[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

@toxicfrog

I've never tried it and would love a better explanation from someone smarter than I, but you could use KER to get the suicide burn info, and program it into the computer, plus a little extra padding, all while holding surface-retrograde.

This is just to touch down without exploding. Good luck landing on all four legs and staying that way with the flight computer.

@toxicfrog

I've never tried it and would love a better explanation from someone smarter than I, but you could use KER to get the suicide burn info, and program it into the computer, plus a little extra padding, all while holding surface-retrograde.

That sounds really, really dangerous, since "a little extra padding" on the suicide burn will catapult you back up off the ground at high speed. And RTFC has no "burn to zero v" command or similar.

How are people using RT performing landings on distant planets? The transmission delay means you can't land by hand, but the RT flight computer doesn't have a sophisticated landing guidance system like MechJeb. The best way I've thought of is to set up a node at periapsis that leaves the probe falling straight down, and program in that node followed by a downward burn to keep descent steady -- but that's extremely wasteful of fuel, and there's a lot of room for error in "straight down", since the orbit prediction doesn't take into account the planet's rotation.

How are other people doing it?

If you're exploring a planet for science, you're best off using a manned ship. If you're doing multiple landings with drones, like in setting up a colony, it is best to start off by placing a large probe core RC-L01 Remote guidance unit on a ship with 6+ kerbals. This becomes a Remote Control center with zero communications delay to probes around the planet the RCC is orbiting.

I'm trying to create an MM patch to make all dish antennas into omnis just so I don't have to edit all the cfgs LOL:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna]:HAS[#Mode0DishRange[*],#Mode1DishRange[*]]]:FINAL
{
@MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna]
{
@Mode0OmniRange = #$Mode0DishRange$
@Mode1OmniRange = #$Mode1DishRange$
!Mode0DishRange = delete
!Mode1DishRange = delete
}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna]:HAS[~Mode0DishRange[],#Mode1DishRange[*]]]:FINAL
{
@MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna]
{
@Mode0OmniRange = 0
!Mode1DishRange = delete
}
}

It edits the right antennas, but doesn't add the omni ranges. Any ideas?

I'm trying to create an MM patch to make all dish antennas into omnis just so I don't have to edit all the cfgs LOL:

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna]:HAS[#Mode0DishRange
[*],#Mode1DishRange
[*]]]:FINAL
{
@MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna]
{
@Mode0OmniRange = #$Mode0DishRange$
!Mode0DishRange = delete
!Mode1DishRange = delete
}
}

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna]:HAS[~Mode0DishRange[],#Mode1DishRange
[*]]]:FINAL
{
@MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna]
{
@Mode0OmniRange = 0
!Mode1DishRange = delete
}
}

It edits the right antennas, but doesn't add the omni ranges. Any ideas?

have you tried using % instead of @ ?

@ works only if the line is in the part you are editing, % works regardless

edit:

I mean, on "Mode0OmniRange" and "Mode1OmniRange"

The transmission delay means you can't land by hand, but the RT flight computer doesn't have a sophisticated landing guidance system like MechJeb.

That indeed a intereseting question, and I think the best answer is to use custom script auto-pilot like kOS or the other one.

But due to complexity of them I've never managed to get even to orbit... Unless, there are some are pre-maid scripts that serve well for several cases.

ORRRR you can do like me and disable the delay, if only for moment in time. If the operational limits prevent you to safely using, its ok.

But using an scripted auto pilot is indeed awesome, start it up, sit back and enjoy the sight.

have you tried using % instead of @ ?

@ works only if the line is in the part you are editing, % works regardless

edit:

I mean, on "Mode0OmniRange" and "Mode1OmniRange"

Thanks for the fresh set of eyes LOL!

Those are my preferred choices:

A) Use Landertrons for automatic suicide burns

B) Disable Time Delay in the RT options

C) Use remote guidance from close by, eg with SETI-CTT you only need 2 kerbals in the command vessel

Using an autopilot like KOS you can write a "landing" program.

I have kOS installed, but have not really tried it out. How well does it play with RT? Still trying to learn the language in my sandbox game. Haven't tested it on RT probes yet.

Well, everyone is aware there's an issue here. Let's not fetishize hardness over playability and realism. In real life - real life! - this is not a problem. A probe can recover from loss of contact. In fact, it could wake up from a completely unexpected power-down event, deploy it's antenna(s), and point them at Earth and look for signal. This is something that's literally harder in RemoteTech than for real life probes. :)

I totally get why the RT devs didn't want my solution - but they know it's an issue, they're just addressing it in a different way.

I was simply giving the way I see RT as it is and offering some advice on ways to keep from ending up with an expensive interplanetary rock.

If you're exploring a planet for science, you're best off using a manned ship. If you're doing multiple landings with drones, like in setting up a colony, it is best to start off by placing a large probe core RC-L01 Remote guidance unit on a ship with 6+ kerbals. This becomes a Remote Control center with zero communications delay to probes around the planet the RCC is orbiting.

I just deal with the delay. This, admittedly, makes landing on bodies without atmosphere next to impossible, but I've been able to time landings correctly on Duna. When I arrive, the time delay is around 55s. I bring a craft that has 2 orbital satellites and 2 landers. The satellites are in direct communication with the landers (probes) during descent thanks to an omni antenna, and act as relays back to a comms relay station around Minmus. As the lander descends (careful to maintain line of site with the satellites) I use the method someone else on here suggested and set a maneuver node at certain intervals to time my operations. Like so: press button(1), press button(2), press and hold rcs thrust at retrograde for as long as I think necessary(3), release(4).

55s later, signal is received....

landing legs deploy(1), chute opens to act as a drogue(2), thrusters work to further slow my descent to a safe speed(3), thrust cuts and chutes take me the rest of the way (4), land safely deploy 2x6 solar panel and dig in.

While definitely not the easiest way to do this (yes, you could just disable the delay) know that it is possible and you will breathe the biggest sigh of relief upon success. Hope this helps! I haven't used it yet, but after looking into kOS...just use that. :P

satellite:

http://postimg.org/image/9zbg2c4nj/

lander:

http://postimg.org/image/b2vkeapan/

Note, I haven't used RT since the 1.0 release. The above was accomplished with .90 accompanied by FAR and Deadly Reentry (I enjoy a challenge)

Unrelated... how is the current edition of RemoteTech coming along. Has there been an official compatible release with 1.0[2] yet?

you could try to set the antenna to open after X seconds, launch the rocket and wait to get signal when you are outside the atmosphere

That would be the solution but I prefer to reach orbit by a gravity maneuver that requires to control a vessel during the ascent to maintain an arc trajectory.

Just curious, why are RP-10 and Stayputnik separated in tech tree making Stayputnik useless? Is that a mistake or that has been done on purpose?

Just curious, why are RP-10 and Stayputnik separated in tech tree making Stayputnik useless? Is that a mistake or that has been done on purpose?
I didn't noticed that Squad changed the node for the Stayputnik from "Flight Controls" to "Basic Sience" with ksp 1.0, and i'm not sure to change also the node for the db-10 antenna.

I didn't noticed that Squad changed the node for the Stayputnik from "Flight Controls" to "Basic Sience" with ksp 1.0, and i'm not sure to change also the node for the db-10 antenna.

Well, but, to be honest, in KSP terms antennas are related more to science than to Flight Control. So it would be logical for the simple antennae to be in Basic Science. Just to mention.

Edited by Ser

I've just had one of those moments of sudden realization:

Does RemoteTech care at all about each satellite's Electric Charge situation while calculating the network? (while you are controlling something else)

I've been struggling with launching my satellites with enough batteries to last the entire darkness period, which is tricky sometimes.

Do the calculations even care about that?

Have I been wasting thousands on needless payload weight??

Don't you think that even if RemoteTech doesn't care of electric charge when your network is on rails, exploiting that would be a cheat? So your "thousands" are properly invested anyway.

Good evening all. I used remote tech prior to KSP 1.0 and enjoyed it. Just installed it in 1.0 and then built a very basic rocket with no pilot and no telecommunications equipment to launch and then check it installed okay by waiting for the rocket to leave the control of Kerbal Space Centre. Thing is despite ascending to to 100,000m or so I can still control the rocket.

Locking in the VAB all the additional antenna are available but not sure why I have this issue. No doubt it is my fault. Any help would be appreciated.

Don't you think that even if RemoteTech doesn't care of electric charge when your network is on rails, exploiting that would be a cheat? So your "thousands" are properly invested anyway.

Yup, I never payed much attention to it. Considering power conumption would also need to consider power generation which may not be easy to handle.

In any case, I've built a test probe, in Kerbin orbit with no power generation, since I didn't have panels yet, So I may test this now.

Loved Remote Tech prior to KSP 1.0 but I am having loads of trouble with the latest version. Firstly I seem to be able to launch an unmanned probe and fly it to in the region of 190,000m yet it stays connected to the space centre.

I just launched my first satellite to set up a three sat network clicking on my DTS-M1 it allows me to extend but I cannot find anyway to aim it at the space centre like we used to do.

Is remote tech working for KSP 1.0 or am I doing something wrong which is probably more likely.

Appreciate any help.

P.S. My sole satellite is now not he other side of the planet beyond the visual range of the space centre yet I have full control. Odd.

Loved Remote Tech prior to KSP 1.0 but I am having loads of trouble with the latest version. Firstly I seem to be able to launch an unmanned probe and fly it to in the region of 190,000m yet it stays connected to the space centre.

I just launched my first satellite to set up a three sat network clicking on my DTS-M1 it allows me to extend but I cannot find anyway to aim it at the space centre like we used to do.

Is remote tech working for KSP 1.0 or am I doing something wrong which is probably more likely.

Appreciate any help.

P.S. My sole satellite is now not he other side of the planet beyond the visual range of the space centre yet I have full control. Odd.

Sounds like an install issue or another mod without configs. Can we get a screenshot of your GameData folder?

Has ever been attempted/considered to add a special category for comm sats so that they can be hidden in the tracking station list?

Reason: the list becomes very cluttered after a few dozen relay sats are in flight.

No, Squad changed that with v1.0. See http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/OX-4L_1x6_Photovoltaic_Panels

Edit: on the right side by "Retractable"

OK, thanks.

I'm playing with RT for the first time, and wasn't sure where the change had occurred.

Just finished setting up a comm network around the Mun, now to do the same around Minmus

LGG