[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Ok, I've just started using Remote Tech, is it safe to update an existing 1.6.4 version? I won't lose my satellite connections, will I? Is that stored information stored in persistence or in the RemoteTech folder?

Ok, I've just started using Remote Tech, is it safe to update an existing 1.6.4 version? I won't lose my satellite connections, will I? Is that stored information stored in persistence or in the RemoteTech folder?

It's in the persistence file. You'll be fine.

I'm having some trouble trying to circularise this vessel using RemoteTech's flight computer.

daY7fTX.png

I plan a node, tell the flight computer to follow node prograde and to execute the node, and the computer begins the burn. Towards the end of the burn as the flight computer is throttling down, the node escapes off to one side. The flight computer attempts to catch it, but turning with the ascent stage is a bit of a pig, so it then throttles up again to try to compensate and get back to the node. So I end up with a rocket at full throttle swinging around trying to catch a wayward node. It flames out in a stable orbit, but usually with an apoapsis somewhere near the Mun. :)

I realise that it's happening because I don't have enough control authority with that large stage hanging off the bottom, and adding another set of reaction wheels will fix it in this instance. But is there an on-demand way to change how burns are executed? Perhaps by limiting the max throttle, or tweaking the limits for when it decides it's close enough to a node?

- - - Updated - - -

I've just tested manually thrust-limiting the Skipper to around 40%, and that ended with a perfect burn. I'd still be curious to know of any ways to make this process nicer just using remotetech.

I'm having some trouble trying to circularise this vessel using RemoteTech's flight computer.

http://i.imgur.com/daY7fTX.png

I plan a node, tell the flight computer to follow node prograde and to execute the node, and the computer begins the burn. Towards the end of the burn as the flight computer is throttling down, the node escapes off to one side. The flight computer attempts to catch it, but turning with the ascent stage is a bit of a pig, so it then throttles up again to try to compensate and get back to the node. So I end up with a rocket at full throttle swinging around trying to catch a wayward node. It flames out in a stable orbit, but usually with an apoapsis somewhere near the Mun. :)

I realise that it's happening because I don't have enough control authority with that large stage hanging off the bottom, and adding another set of reaction wheels will fix it in this instance. But is there an on-demand way to change how burns are executed? Perhaps by limiting the max throttle, or tweaking the limits for when it decides it's close enough to a node?

- - - Updated - - -

I've just tested manually thrust-limiting the Skipper to around 40%, and that ended with a perfect burn. I'd still be curious to know of any ways to make this process nicer just using remotetech.

What I usually do is, I point the craft at the manouvre node but I don'u use the RT computer, I use SAS and keep the craft pointed to the fix position, that way even if at the end of the burn the manouvre node wiggles around

The craft will stay in position and end the burn there.

I point the craft at the manouvre node but I don'u use the RT computer, I use SAS and keep the craft pointed to the fix position

If your uncrewed craft are in radio contact for the duration of all of your burns, then your space program is much better organised than mine. ;-)

If your uncrewed craft are in radio contact for the duration of all of your burns, then your space program is much better organised than mine. ;-)

hmmm does the SAS disable itself if RT signal is lost?

I've never notice that and I'm a bit OCD about comsats so I usually have 100% signal coverage :D

It seems strange that SAS would disable itself tho

Using 1.6.5 Remote Tech. Having an issue with the flight computer and science experiments:

Wanted to grab low space science from the back side of the Mun when I had no LOS with Kerbin. I added a signal delay of ~1 hour to occur around periapsis, then proceeded to add the following experiments to the queue: Mystery Goo, Science Jr., Thermometer, Telemetry Analysis (from Science Revisited Revisited) and Magnetometer (from DMagic). At periapsis, the experiments activated properly and I saved the reports to be transmitted once I achieved LOS with Kerbin again. Afterwards, I noticed almost nothing works on my spacecraft. I cannot review the data on my science experiments, I cannot transmit data, I'm unable to activate RCS/SAS, I cannot close the service bays, cannot shut down my engine, cannot activate staging, etc. The only things that work are pitch/yaw/roll, throttle (engines thrust properly), and I am able to change my antenna's target on a Comms DTS-M1. It's not a comms connection issue, since I definitely have LOS and it says Connected. I've tried quicksaving and reloading, tried going to the KSC and back, even tried restarting the game.

EDIT:

Ok, derp moment for me, lol. Might help if I reset the signal delay to 0. Disregard the above. Sorry!

Edited by stevehead
my derpiness

A minor quibble but follow node and prograde are two very different things.

I meant prograde to the node (even though winding up retrograde to it would have been quite a surprise). There were a few glasses of wine involved in my rocketry last night, apologies for messing that bit up.

I have 1.6.5 on KSP 1.0.2. It seems my Stayputnik Mk 1 is not using the internal antenna. If I add an omni to it it has a connection, but even on the launch pad, no extra antenna means no connection.

[Edit]: Additional information. I was looking in the ships file at the Stayputnik, compared to another different saved game with a hex probe (which works), and noticed this difference:

In Stayputnik:

MODULE

{

name = ModuleSPU

isEnabled = True

IsRTPowered = True

IsRTSignalProcessor = True

IsRTCommandStation = False

RTCommandMinCrew = 6

In probeCoreHex:

MODULE

{

name = ModuleSPU

isEnabled = True

IsRTPowered = True

IsRTSignalProcessor = True

IsRTCommandStation = True <-- !!

RTCommandMinCrew = 2

Also, I notice that the probeCoreHex has a ModuleRTAntenna (in addition to ModuleRTAntennaPassive) while the Stayputnik only has the ModuleRTAntennaPassive.

Edited by radinator

I meant prograde to the node (even though winding up retrograde to it would have been quite a surprise). There were a few glasses of wine involved in my rocketry last night, apologies for messing that bit up.

That's just it, there is no prograde to the node. Prograde is facing your direction of travel, the open green circle. The node's facing is the blue marker. They sometimes happen to face the same way when raising peri/apoapsis, but they are distinct and different directions.

I've noticed that, when using the root range mode, plus the suggested 0.5 range modifier, the target selection menu fails to account for the root, and generates false "out of range" warnings.

It makes it necessary to switch to each vessel, check what antennas are there, and calculate all the ranges manually. You can then select one of the targets wrongfully identified as out of range, and connections are established normally, but that menu generates confusion.

I guess it may be tricky to have the menu calculate the root range, but it could at least check if root and 0.5 range modifier are both in use, and display true range with an asterisk, or something like that.

I've also noticed that, if using the on-board computer to pilot a cumbersome vessel (think kerbodyne tanks with Rhino engine, and no RCS), when performing a node maneuver, if the "wobble" makes the vessel spin away from the correct node burn direction, sometimes the throttle controls will stop responding, and the only way to regain control is to go to vessel view and deactivate the engine through the right-click menu, before resetting the on-board computer.

Edited by Deimos_F

That's just it, there is no prograde to the node. Prograde is facing your direction of travel, the open green circle. The node's facing is the blue marker. They sometimes happen to face the same way when raising peri/apoapsis, but they are distinct and different directions.

Actually if you select both "node" and "retrograde" in the flight computer you will end up facing to the cyan marker which is at the exact opposite direction than the blue marker.

That's actually pretty useful if you put the probe upside down for error

And of course if you select node and prograde you'll point to the blue node

If you want to point to the yellow markers you have to select "orbit" and either "prograde" or "retrograde"

Edited by Sigma88

For the love of god till me there is a way to add "activate antenna" to staging. I have launched this satellite 5 times now, and because I'm distracted on the other screen, I keep ....ing staging before activating the antenna!

I totally realize this is my own god damn fault, but my lord this feature would save this scrub a lot of relaunching xD

@Sokar408

RemotetechFX, a replacement for the dll, it adds an option to allow activating antennas without a connection, is bit of a cheaty but a hell lot of usefulness.

Can someone mention how does the RT integration with MechJeb works? You can issue a command only if connected and the autopilot will continue even if connection is lost, correct?

Having trouble with the Communotron 88-88, when pointed at a specific satellite orbiting Kerbin, I can get connection (when in range). But when pointed at Kerbin itself, I lose connection.

I am connecting to satellites configured to point to Active Vessel and this occurs inside and outside of Kerbin SOI.

My concern is that this probe is heading out of Kerbin's SOI, and I don't believe the smaller dishes on the specific satellites have the range I need. I don't have access to stronger antennas yet besides those at Mission Control and the Comm-88-88, so my options are limited.

I should note that other dishes (such as the Reflectron and the folding dish whose name escapes me) will connect to Kerbin in general, using whatever dish is currently pointed its way.

Is my config wrong or is there a bug?

Having trouble with the Communotron 88-88, when pointed at a specific satellite orbiting Kerbin, I can get connection (when in range). But when pointed at Kerbin itself, I lose connection.

I am connecting to satellites configured to point to Active Vessel and this occurs inside and outside of Kerbin SOI.

My concern is that this probe is heading out of Kerbin's SOI, and I don't believe the smaller dishes on the specific satellites have the range I need. I don't have access to stronger antennas yet besides those at Mission Control and the Comm-88-88, so my options are limited.

I should note that other dishes (such as the Reflectron and the folding dish whose name escapes me) will connect to Kerbin in general, using whatever dish is currently pointed its way.

Is my config wrong or is there a bug?

are you sure it's not a "cone angle" problem? you can't possibly cover the whole planet with a 88 from that close

are you sure it's not a "cone angle" problem? you can't possibly cover the whole planet with a 88 from that close

Now there are cone angles to worry about? I thought that was abstracted out so we didn't have to worry about pointing our dish in the direction of the signal at all times?

Also, wouldn't that abate once I reached beyond Kerbin's SOI? I mean, halfway to Duna, you'd think the cone angle issue would be gone.

Help with Flight computer please.

I have created a node with Mechjeb Node editor and it is located on the part of an orbit around Kerbin at 74km that has no communication with the KSC.

I programme the flight computer with m/s delta vee and select the node option and then press execute. All the while in communication.

I get an error which says "signal delay is too high to execute the manauver at the proper time"

Now I am intending the satelite to fire the engine when out of connection. This is hte purpose of the flight computer... but it just doesn't want to do as it's told.

What am I doing wrong ... this has worked before but now isn't.

signal%20delay.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

What am I doing wrong ... this has worked before but now isn't.

Sorry .. got it to go... I removed the node .. re did it in Mechjeb node editor, then closed node editor and typed in new m/s delta vee and pressed "ëxecute"and it worked.... I don't know why it wouldn't work last time... the process seemed the same.

sorry for the short call.

1. The node says +15minutes looks like you got the wrong time... you already passed it

2. Why do you set the dV manually? set the waypoint use Nodebutton then exec and The Computer will do the rest for you ?

Now there are cone angles to worry about? I thought that was abstracted out so we didn't have to worry about pointing our dish in the direction of the signal at all times?

I don't recall ever seeing this feature being abstracted out. It's always been a thing since I started with 0.23. You have the ability to see dish cones in the Tracking Station so yea, check and make sure your cone will cover the area you need to stay in contact with the satellite, otherwise point directly at the satellite until you are farther out. You can change dish assignments from the Tracking Station when it's able to keep the satellite within its cone

Also, wouldn't that abate once I reached beyond Kerbin's SOI? I mean, halfway to Duna, you'd think the cone angle issue would be gone.

If you point at a precise target, like a ship or KSC, you don't have to worry about the cone, just the range. if you point at a celestial body, then the cone matters.

The RemoteTech player guide will give you guidance on what dish antennae are appropriate for a given range from Kerbin, with the "Cone covers Kerbin at" and "Cone covers keosynchronous orbit at" entries.

https://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/guide/parts/#dish-antennas