[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Hi, I've noticed some odd behavior and I don't know if this is normal. I'm using RT2 1.6.7 and KSP 1.0.4. I've created a com sat network at 776.6 km using the tutorial in the RemoteTech docs. I modified my satellites to include two Comms DTS-M1 dishes. One is pointed at the Mun and the other is pointed at Minimus. As I understand it, the satellites should only use the dish for connections if the another satellite is both in range and in the cone of the dish (and in the target's SOI according to the docs but I think this no longer applies in the new version).

The weird thing is that periodically, two neighboring satellites in the network will connect to each other using the dish of one or both even if both dishes of both sats are pointing away from each other due to the position of the Mun and Minimus.

Below are two screenshots. Both show dish connections only as well as the Mun and Minimus. In the first, the cones are hidden and the other has the cones visible. If you look closely in the second image, the only dish connection should be the one between the sat to the left of Kerbin and the one above. If the cones drawn in the map view are intended to be just a simple representation then the dish connections to KSC might be possible but I'm not sure if that would explain the dish connection between the sat to the right of Kerbin and the one above.

screenshot1.png

screenshot2.png

Ahoy! Thanks for the great mod. :)

I am having a little problem though. For some reason I am unable to turn off signal delay. When I first encountered it, I already had a probe near the Moon (playing with RSS) and wanted to deactivate it. I went to the RemoteTech_Settings.cfg and set "EnableSignalDelay" to "False". But somehow it is still active. :( Tried with a newly launched craft, but the problem remains.

Anyone know how I can switch it off?

I had something happen to my probe and the temperature sensor along with other stuff because unresponsive. I noticed this in the log and saw remotetech at the bottom, now sure if its a remotetech issue or FinePrint.Contracts which appears at the top of the stack for Asteroid Day... or something else entirely. Thanks in advance.

[LOG 22:17:01.819] RemoteTech: Changing RnDCommsStream timeout from 0.3 to 0.3031616

[LOG 22:17:01.819] RemoteTech: [Transmitter]: Uploading Data... (Temperature Scan while in space high over Minmus) - 6.67 Mits/sec. Packets to go: 1 - Files to Go: 0

[LOG 22:17:02.122] RemoteTech: [Transmitter]: Uploading Data... (Temperature Scan while in space high over Minmus) - 6.67 Mits/sec. Packets to go: 0 - Files to Go: 0

[LOG 22:17:02.123] [Research & Development]: +3 data on Temperature Scan while in space high over Minmus. +4.5 Science Added. Subject value is 0.00

[LOG 22:17:02.124] [Progress Node Reached]: Science

[EXC 22:17:02.133] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

FinePrint.Contracts.SurveyContract.PossibleDefinitions (.CelestialBody targetBody, Boolean focused)

FinePrint.Contracts.SurveyContract.Generate ()

Contracts.Contract.Generate (System.Type contractType, ContractPrestige difficulty, Int32 seed, State state)

Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContract (Int32 seed, ContractPrestige difficulty, System.Type contractType)

Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContract (System.Int32& seed, ContractPrestige difficulty)

Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContracts (System.Int32& seed, ContractPrestige difficulty, Int32 count)

Contracts.ContractSystem.RefreshContracts ()

Contracts.ContractSystem.OnNodeReached (.ProgressNode node)

EventData`1[ProgressNode].Fire (.ProgressNode data)

ProgressNode.Reach ()

ProgressNode.Complete ()

KSPAchievements.CelestialBodyScience.OnScience (Single science, .ScienceSubject subject, .ProtoVessel pv, Boolean reverseEngineered)

EventData`4[system.Single,ScienceSubject,ProtoVessel,System.Boolean].Fire (Single data0, .ScienceSubject data1, .ProtoVessel data2, Boolean data3)

ResearchAndDevelopment.SubmitScienceData (Single dataAmount, .ScienceSubject subject, Single xmitScalar, .ProtoVessel source, Boolean reverseEngineered)

RnDCommsStream.submitStreamData (.ProtoVessel source)

RnDCommsStream.StreamData (Single dataAmount, .ProtoVessel source)

RemoteTech.Modules.ModuleRTDataTransmitter+<Transmit>c__Iterator0.MoveNext ()

[LOG 22:17:03.051] [Research & Development]: +3 data on Temperature Scan while in space high over Minmus. +0.0 Science Added. Subject value is 0.00

[LOG 22:17:16.785] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Minmus

[LOG 22:17:16.790] Maneuver Mode enabled

[LOG 22:17:16.792] Clouds: Volume Enabled=False

[LOG 22:17:27.083] kOS:, caught Event from alarm Ex-Minmus, event type Created

[LOG 22:18:31.645] kOS:, caught Event from alarm Ex-Minmus, event type Deleted

[LOG 22:18:39.409] kOS:, caught Event from alarm Ex-Minmus, event type Created

[LOG 22:19:02.357] kOS:, caught Event from alarm Ex-Minmus, event type Deleted

[LOG 22:19:07.369] kOS:, caught Event from alarm Ex-Minmus, event type Created

[LOG 22:21:33.433] Camera Mode: AUTO

[LOG 22:21:56.415] Flight State Captured

[LOG 22:21:56.428] Saving Achievements Tree...

[ERR 22:21:56.429] Input is null

[ERR 22:21:56.429] Input is null

Hi guys, i love the mod. Makes the game more realistic and challenging.

I have an idea for a new feature: it would be cool to be able to remotely control an unmanned probe if the is an manned vessel within the range of the omni antenna (i.e. a communotron 16 or communotron 32).

What do you think about it guys?

I had something happen to my probe and the temperature sensor along with other stuff because unresponsive. I noticed this in the log and saw remotetech at the bottom, now sure if its a remotetech issue or FinePrint.Contracts which appears at the top of the stack for Asteroid Day... or something else entirely. Thanks in advance.

I suspect any attempt to assist you with this issue will require more information, such as the information described here. Clearly, you have a number of mods, so that info will be pretty important to any attempt to analyze your problem.

Hi guys, i love the mod. Makes the game more realistic and challenging.

I have an idea for a new feature: it would be cool to be able to remotely control an unmanned probe if the is an manned vessel within the range of the omni antenna (i.e. a communotron 16 or communotron 32).

What do you think about it guys?

I agree with this :) I had something happen to me in orbit around Minmus using a manned pod to set up a 4 probe network. I forgot to extend my solar panels on one of the probes and it will now be useless until I set up my relay to connect my Minmus network to my Kerbin network. My command pod was connected to the probe and I was hoping I would at least have basic functionality. I would understand if "flying" the probe would be impossible, but it would be cool to do simple things like extend panels and such with a connection to a manned pod only.

Why did you not accept the pull request fromthe guy with the remote tech fx? Or adding it as an option in the settings, to make it possible to activate and orient antennas without connection? I agree with his argument that it is more realistic. It is so annoying to loose communication.

I want to play without quickloading. it destroys fun to get used to quickloading but i am just so bad in memorization.

and by the way, thanks for this awesomeness mod :) <3

best regards

So I got this all set up and 3 sattelites in geosynchronous orbit, have 4 dishes on each satelite plus an antenna. Now I have a problem. Whenever I fly a spacecraft I have to mannually connect to 1 of my 3 satcoms.. If I select active vessel it wont connect.. How do I make sure it always connect to an active vessel?

Hey all, love the mod, having a problem with it, curious if anyone knows anything:

Some of my ships - not all - have an issue where I tall them to orient to a maneuver node through the flight computer, they just start spinning wildly. I've tried setting "Control from here" to different parts, but that doesn't help. Any idea what's happening?

I am also seeing this, quite excessively as well. Control of certain ships becomes absolutely impossible as soon as the bug is triggered - which is usually by the use of the flight computer. Will try to look for causes tomorrow.

I am also seeing this, quite excessively as well. Control of certain ships becomes absolutely impossible as soon as the bug is triggered - which is usually by the use of the flight computer. Will try to look for causes tomorrow.

are you using MechJeb? I have had same problem till i realised that my MechJeb was set to Prograde (or Retrograde) hold at same time as RemoteTech flight computer was set to Maneuver Node hold. They fight then with each other till you disable one of them.

So I got this all set up and 3 sattelites in geosynchronous orbit, have 4 dishes on each satelite plus an antenna. Now I have a problem. Whenever I fly a spacecraft I have to mannually connect to 1 of my 3 satcoms.. If I select active vessel it wont connect.. How do I make sure it always connect to an active vessel?

"Active vessel" means "the vessel you are now flying", not "a vessel that is active".

Use an omni close in to Kerbin and a dish pointed at Kerbin further out.

are you using MechJeb? I have had same problem till i realised that my MechJeb was set to Prograde (or Retrograde) hold at same time as RemoteTech flight computer was set to Maneuver Node hold. They fight then with each other till you disable one of them.

Mechjeb is installed, but I checked multiple times for it being active in any way. The issue also occurred on ships built without mechjeb in the first place.

Just wanted to stop by and show off my latest creation. Only after I launched it did I realize I should have included another pair of DTS-M1 for the Mun and Minmus, ah well... next time.

vqFmcMg.jpg

The antennas in your relay network have to be set to active vessel. And each must be connected to mission control somehow, direct or indirect.

But while controling your active vessel you must set its dish always to connect to one of them.

And this is what annoys me, I would like to have an option to point it to 'any connected vessel' with connection to Mission Control. Which only works when the vessel is active, such that I can control it

The antennas in your relay network have to be set to active vessel. And each must be connected to mission control somehow, direct or indirect.

Incorrect. Your antennas are not required to be set to active vessel, that just assigns the center of it's cone to the active vessel. For example, if you have a vessel in orbit of the Mun, and you target a DTS-M1 at the Mun (not the vessel) then as long as the vessel is within that antenna's cone, it will communicate even if the antenna is just pointed in the general direction. The problem with Active vessel is if the vessel is moving in a large orbit, the cone could shift out of communication range of some other satellite that is needed to complete the relay. For that reason it is often better to have an appropriately sized antenna pointed directly at the planet which will likely pick up all but the largest orbits.

But while controling your active vessel you must set its dish always to connect to one of them.

Also incorrect, just like with the Mun I can have a dish pointed directly at Kerbin, anything within it's cone will communicate. Think of the target as where to aim the antenna NOT what to communicate with. It will communicate with anything in range and in it's line of sight/cone regardless of what it is targeting.

And this is what annoys me, I would like to have an option to point it to 'any connected vessel' with connection to Mission Control. Which only works when the vessel is active, such that I can control it

Aiming it at a planet will point it at any connected vessel in it's line of sight cone and in range. Since a picture is worth 1000 words, in the screenshot below I have a Kerbin satellite aimed directly at Eve, not it's satellites. You can see the cone covers all of Eve and a sizable orbit, much larger than the satellites are in. Because the cone is big enough all 3 satellites can communicate with Kerbin provided they aren't blocked by Eve (Keep in mind the antennas on the Eve satellites are pointed back at Kerbin of course). However notice that Gilly is not inside the cone and therefore nothing in orbit of Gilly will be able to communicate directly back to Kerbin, they can however relay back to Eve first.

None of my satellites are set to active target because I rarely need to communicate with probes in transit. I usually can get their encounter set up before I lose the Kerbin satellites and then I don't need communications again till I reach the planet. If you find you have to do mid-course corrections however, you might need active target.

If you look close you can also see a directional antenna on the surface pointed directly at a satellite. The problem with that is once the satellite moves out of sight, it can't communicate at all. However that probe did it's job so I just don't care about it anymore.

E2C163165DF39DA13A9F185F5F76D63F89CCF660

Edited by Alshain

Incorrect. Your antennas are not required to be set to active vessel, that just assigns the center of it's cone to the active vessel. For example, if you have a vessel in orbit of the Mun, and you target a DTS-M1 at the Mun (not the vessel) then as long as the vessel is within that antenna's cone, it will communicate even if the antenna is just pointed in the general direction.

okay, but it makes things a lot easier, because you can switch between stuff in completely different direction in the solar system without touching any of your relay satellites

The problem with Active vessel is if the vessel is moving in a large orbit, the cone could shift out of communication range of some other satellite that is needed to complete the relay. For that reason it is often better to have an appropriately sized antenna pointed directly at the planet which will likely pick up all but the largest orbits.

I do not completely understand, your way building the network seems to be a different approach. I just connect the relay sats within each other with some small antennas and a big dish to point at the active vessel

Also incorrect, just like with the Mun I can have a dish pointed directly at Kerbin, anything within it's cone will communicate. Think of the target as where to aim the antenna NOT what to communicate with. It will communicate with anything in range and in it's line of sight/cone regardless of what it is targeting.

yes, for the mun that might work, but not in some weired orbit around kerbin (ex. pe 90km ap 5mm)

also not if you are far away like duna, because the longer range dishes do not have that big of a cone. If you point it to Ike, you hit nothing but a small fraction of its orbit.

And to my wish about that, In this weired orbit I have to be really careful, where I point my antenna, since there is this giant round thing called kerbin in the way and I can only point it to one of the relay sattelites (unless I carry a lot of these antennas) and none of the omnis with enough range survive reentry, so at reentry I must select the correct one or there will be no parachute deployment

Aiming it at a planet will point it at any connected vessel in it's line of sight cone and in range. Since a picture is worth 1000 words, in the screenshot below I have a Kerbin satellite aimed directly at Eve, not it's satellites. You can see the cone covers all of Eve and a sizable orbit, much larger than the satellites are in. Because the cone is big enough all 3 satellites can communicate with Kerbin provided they aren't blocked by Eve (Keep in mind the antennas on the Eve satellites are pointed back at Kerbin of course). However notice that Gilly is not inside the cone and therefore nothing in orbit of Gilly will be able to communicate directly back to Kerbin, they can however relay back to Eve first.

which dishes do you use? The ones I have, have a needle-like cone...

None of my satellites are set to active target because I rarely need to communicate with probes in transit. I usually can get their encounter set up before I lose the Kerbin satellites and then I don't need communications again till I reach the planet. If you find you have to do mid-course corrections however, you might need active target.

yes, I want to do mid course correction, because my encounters glitch away so often (which is kind of realistic)

If you look close you can also see a directional antenna on the surface pointed directly at a satellite. The problem with that is once the satellite moves out of sight, it can't communicate at all. However that probe did it's job so I just don't care about it anymore.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/457463646582105873/E2C163165DF39DA13A9F185F5F76D63F89CCF660/

what I do, I am to lazy to build a a network around other planets, I just connect to kerbin directly so I set two long range satellites to kerbin

Edited by nablabla

My game crashed two or three times this weekend when I had a probe set to execute a maneuver node (on different occasions). The game would crash just as the ship began to burn. I've got a number of mods, but it seems like RT might have something to do with it so I'm starting here. If I upload the crash report is there some way to tell what might be going on? Which file do I need to upload, and what's an easy site to load it to? Thanks.

Just wanted to stop by and show off my latest creation. Only after I launched it did I realize I should have included another pair of DTS-M1 for the Mun and Minmus, ah well... next time.

http://i.imgur.com/vqFmcMg.jpg

A little off topic...what mods are you using for kerbin's effects? It looks like astronomers pack from .24 or .25 which was always my favorite...His newer one looks thinner and I look the deep blues and massive amounts of clouds. Thanks!

A little off topic...what mods are you using for kerbin's effects? It looks like astronomers pack from .24 or .25 which was always my favorite...His newer one looks thinner and I look the deep blues and massive amounts of clouds. Thanks!

Astronomer's Pack v3 Beta. He scaled back quite a bit from Interstellar I think. This is a lot more like Edge of Oblivion which was my favorite too.