[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

I dont have Kopernicus installed.

I'm sure if you post your logs someone will be able to narrow it down for you. I am guessing that there is something else going on. If it is RemoteTech you will help everyone by letting the mod author see what needs to be fixed.

Which Logs are you referring to?

This resource will help get you started: How To Get Support

It's pretty easy and really useful. That will show you how to get your logs, then you can post them here in whatever way is easy for you (post-bin, dropbox link, etc.).

- - - Updated - - -

Hello folks! Just gonna put a request and ask if anyone could produce a RT2 .cfg to get the antenna from asteroid day mod to work with remote tech. Thank you!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83305-1-0-4-RemoteTech-v1-6-7-2015-06-25?p=2053812&viewfull=1#post2053812

This resource will help get you started: How To Get Support

It's pretty easy and really useful. That will show you how to get your logs, then you can post them here in whatever way is easy for you (post-bin, dropbox link, etc.).

- - - Updated - - -

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83305-1-0-4-RemoteTech-v1-6-7-2015-06-25?p=2053812&viewfull=1#post2053812

aha! Thanks very much. Went back a couple of pages but didn't see this.

I feel stupid and I read the manual. I got my network around kerbin working well now going for the mun.

How many dishes/antennas do you need in a 3 sattelite network? I'm guessing three? Two for the other sattelites and one directed at mission control which goes for all the sattelites.

Or do I need 4? Another one aimed at active vessel? Or 5?

I feel stupid and I read the manual. I got my network around kerbin working well now going for the mun.

How many dishes/antennas do you need in a 3 sattelite network? I'm guessing three? Two for the other sattelites and one directed at mission control which goes for all the sattelites.

Or do I need 4? Another one aimed at active vessel? Or 5?

The minimum number would be 2

1 dish pointed at the Active vessel and

either 1 dish pointed to kerbin with enough range and cone angle to contact the other comsats and kerbin surface

Or 1 omni antenna with enough range to contact the other comsats and kerbin surface

Of course early in the career you may need to add antennas to make up for their shorter range

The minimum number would be 2

1 dish pointed at the Active vessel and

either 1 dish pointed to kerbin with enough range and cone angle to contact the other comsats and kerbin surface

Or 1 omni antenna with enough range to contact the other comsats and kerbin surface

Of course early in the career you may need to add antennas to make up for their shorter range

This won't work if a sattelite with two dishes is behind the mun and the landed probe is below, also behind the mun (in perspective to kerbin).

Because the connection will not go through the mun to Kerbin.

Quick question from a RemoteTech newbie: How do you turn on SAS from the flight computer? I see buttons for holding prograde/retrograde, etc, but nothing for simply toggling SAS. In the RT tutorial it just says "the “Toggle SAS†command is optional". Thanks!

Here is a question for you. I want to make a KSO constellation consisting of 6 sats at the equator and 2 polar sats.

The KEO sats are simple affairs, using just the large omni to form a network, while the two polar KSO sats are serviceable stations equipped with the all dishes needed for long range communication. The 2 polar KSO sats (set at 180 degree separation) would send the signal from the target spacecraft/celestial body to the equatorial sats (using an omni), and those would use their omnis to talk to each other, thus relaying the end signal to KSC.

The equator sats will be placed to KEO in a single launch, at 60 degree intervals so that the distance between adjacent sats stays lower than 5Mm. I tried to do the constellation with 4 sats, but the distance seems to be a little more than the large omni can handle.

So, here is the question. Lets assume that all sats are dispensed in a single flight, and that the target separation for each one is about 60 degrees (so that we cover the whole equator with 6 sats). Eccentricity and inclination is planned to be 0 degrees, and the sats are equipped with tweakscaled RCS thrusters for precise maneuvering. If we assume that the apoapsis of the spacecraft that carries them is 2,868.75km, what should the periapsis be so that the spacecraft deploys one sat every orbit? The target separation between the sats is 60 degress, and the number of orbits needed is 6.

Also, is this possible to do with 5 sats @72 degree intervals? If yes, what would the periapsis need to be then?

Any and every help would be vastly appreciated, cheers..C:

Edited by Dante80

Here is a question for you. I want to make a KSO constellation consisting of 6 sats at the equator and 2 polar sats.

The KEO sats are simple affairs, using just the large omni to form a network, while the two polar KSO sats are serviceable stations equipped with the all dishes needed for long range communication. The 2 polar KSO sats (set at 180 degree separation) would send the signal from the target spacecraft/celestial body to the equatorial sats (using an omni), and those would use their omnis to talk to each other, thus relaying the end signal to KSC.

The equator sats will be placed to KEO in a single launch, at 60 degree intervals so that the distance between adjacent sats stays lower than 5Mm. I tried to do the constellation with 4 sats, but the distance seems to be a little more than the large omni can handle.

So, here is the question. Lets assume that all sats are dispensed in a single flight, and that the target separation for each one is about 60 degrees (so that we cover the whole equator with 6 sats). Eccentricity and inclination is planned to be 0 degrees, and the sats are equipped with tweakscaled RCS thrusters for precise maneuvering. If we assume that the apoapsis of the spacecraft that carries them is 2,868.75km, what should the periapsis be so that the spacecraft deploys one sat every orbit? The target separation between the sats is 60 degress, and the number of orbits needed is 6.

Also, is this possible to do with 5 sats @72 degree intervals? If yes, what would the periapsis need to be then?

Any and every help would be vastly appreciated, cheers..C:

I can't say the periapsis value, but it'll need a period which is either 1/6th or 5/6th of the final period (keo in your case). Same rule applies for 5 sats, either 1/5 or 4/5.

about antenna ranges/constelation size you can check out http://ryohpops.github.io/kspRemoteTechPlanner/#/desc which also helps design battery size. I never tried it though.

Edit: if I would do it myself I'd start with a 100x100 orbit, set apo to desired value, and watch KER while I burn to tune period to raise/lower periapsis to get the resonant orbit according to the period, and release a new sat every time I get to apo.

Have in mind that 1/6 resonance will need more dv in the final rcs burn, while 5/6 will be so close to the final orbit that it'll be a breeze in comparison.

Anyway, if your constellation is well built it shouldn't matter if it's keosynch.

Edited by Qigon

tyvm. I will be using redundant RTGs, so battery size is not that important.

From that site, it looks like you can get away with 4 sats in KEO (distance between adjacent sats is shown as 4.905,553 km). Will give it a try..C:

Edit: if I would do it myself I'd start with a 100x100 orbit, set apo to desired value, and watch KER while I burn to tune period to raise/lower periapsis to get the resonant orbit according to the period, and release a new sat every time I get to apo.

I'm launching straight to KΕO apoapsis and then bringing up the periapsis to what needed. You need more Dv that way (as well as a manned pod for the vehicle deploying the sats), but I have tried it a couple of times and its pretty straightforward.

Edited by Dante80

Being a fan of playing hard mode, when I first saw Remote Tech I thought to myself, "This is great, I won't be able to do anything without first setting up a satellite network". I quickly came to realize that RT only affects probes (which I rarely use), not manned missions. What I would love to see is an addon for this mod that uses Custom Barn Kit (or some other way) to disable the players ability to create and use maneuver nodes when contact with KSC is lost. So if you have a manned mission, you'd essentially lose the FlightPlanning upgrade you get with level 2 of the Tracking Station and Mission Control. You'd still be able to manually pilot your ship, but you really need that contact with KSC's experts and tracking station to plan those precise maneuvers. This would really make this mod one of "satellite networks, or else".

I have problem with remote tech 2.

Every time I do a "revert", [+] [-] buttons in the RT Computer stop working, until full KSP restart.

Sometimes, somehow, I mange to make them working again, sporadically.

The rest of the RT Computer, like edit fields and "Custom" button, continue to work as intended.

And little question: How to switch to new mode with retrograde direction without going to prograde direction first? Because when I switch mode, it goes "GRD+" first, then I click "GRD-".

Question: Why, when you create a maneuver node and use the EXEC command from the flight computer, does the satellite/probe not point the craft at the blue maneuver node marker on the navball before executing the manuever? This behavior always messes up my planned orbits/trajectories. Am I missing something?

Question: Why, when you create a maneuver node and use the EXEC command from the flight computer, does the satellite/probe not point the craft at the blue maneuver node marker on the navball before executing the manuever? This behavior always messes up my planned orbits/trajectories. Am I missing something?

You need to command probe to point to the MP manually, some time before burn. There is button on top of RT2C.

Quick question from a RemoteTech newbie: How do you turn on SAS from the flight computer? I see buttons for holding prograde/retrograde, etc, but nothing for simply toggling SAS. In the RT tutorial it just says "the “Toggle SAS†command is optional". Thanks!

Press "T" on the keyboard, same as without RemoteTech. If you have a delay set, it will respect that delay. You may have to cancel any existing directional commands, I don't remember.

Alternatively, "KILL" does the same thing as SAS (stops all movement).

- - - Updated - - -

Press the "NODE" button to aim it at the node, then press "EXEC".

You can't basically

SAS and flight computer seem mutually exclusive, both are mechanisms for controlling and holding the attitude of your ship and thus won't work together.

Tell the flight computer to do anything and then try turning on SAS with T, it flashes briefly on the turns off again.

The only way to toggle SAS back on again after flight computer commands I've found is:

Set the flight computer to "KILL" (if it isn't already it defaults to this state after completing burns etc)

The click the x in the top right hand corner of the KILL command box in the flight computer, it will then read "OFF"

Now you can turn on SAS with T

I think this is also partially deliberate, as has been much debated commands to the flight computer come with a signal delay manual commands and SAS don't.

If for immersion / realism's sake you wanna always have the delay then use the flight computer exclusively, otherwise you can use SAS / manual commands.

Personally I usually do the former but like the option of the latter in case of screw ups / can't be bothered to wait multiple signal delays do perform a very quick easy maneuver.

Edited by Bishop149

Why Does it keep losing connection?

I have a square of 4 sats around kerbin @ 800k in connection mission control.

I have 2 KEO sats around kerbin both with grey lines connected to my probe going to the mun, One of which is always directly above Mission Control.

My probe going to the mun has two dishes on set for kerbin and one set for MIssion Control.

Yet before I get to the mun, I always lose connection.

The Dishes all say they have Gm's of range.

Why Does it keep losing connection?

I have a square of 4 sats around kerbin @ 800k in connection mission control.

I have 2 KEO sats around kerbin both with grey lines connected to my probe going to the mun, One of which is always directly above Mission Control.

My probe going to the mun has two dishes on set for kerbin and one set for MIssion Control.

Yet before I get to the mun, I always lose connection.

The Dishes all say they have Gm's of range.

there could be many different reasons:

1- do you have antennas pointing at the mun? and/or at the active vessel?

2- pointing at the KSC will only work if the KSC is in direct line of sight

3- the antennas that point to kerbin could have a cone angle too narrow to cover your com-sat constellation around kerbin

4- the antennas that point to the mun could have a cone angle too narrow to connect with your probe that is going to the mun

5- if your kerbin comsats have antennas pointed to the mun but not to the active vessel you may lose connection after launch, before you get close to the mun

6- if your kerbin comsats have antennas pointed to the active vessel but not to the mun your probe may lose connection when it goes behind the mun

7- other possible reasons I may have missed

if you describe the network it may be easier to see where it's failing :)