[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Like I said, my computer is not meant for gaming. Its a little $300 laptop that a grabbed from Walmart a few years back for keeping in touch with family. I know about the delay for probes an all. But if I want to go further out I have to have at least two satellites around Kerbin and two around the Mun, then I can send one or two out to other planets and that's when I get FPS drop, it drops to a 10 or 12 and no higher. But only when I switch to the probe that's out of Kerbin's SOI. At first I thought, well maybe I installed the mod wrong so I watched a how to on Youtube, followed it to the letter but still got the FPS drop. And its only RemoteTech too. I can only use it when I want to play on sandbox and just mess around.

I just found an fascinatingly coincidental calculation while planning an extension to my network.

So I already have my base constellation set up around Kerbin: 3 sats equally spread around an equatorial orbit with an orbital radius of ~1400km (800km altitude) and each carrying a mid-range omni and a relay dish. Next step in my exploration program is to send an unkerballed rover to the farside of the Mun and for that I obviously need to be able to relay the signal. I like to keep things lite so I decided to aim for a single relay satellite at the Mun end rather than the full three.

The first problem was how to make sure the relay stays above the farside so that I can get full-time coverage of my already-sure-to-be-tediously-longwinded rover mission. If this was the real world then I might consider shoving it into the L2 point and hoping it stays there long enough to complete my mission. But KSP uses a single-body physics approximation so there aren't any Lagrangian points. So instead I settled for putting my relay just beyond the Mun's SOI, so that it's orbiting Kerbin slightly faster than the Mun. This means that eventually it will overshoot the Mun and become useless but I did the calculations and made sure it would be in position long enough to land my rover and have a good look around.

(Interestingly this puts it very close to where the L2 point would be, because L2 is generally found close to the radius of the smaller body's Hill sphere - presumably the real-world basis for calculating KSP's SOIs)

The next problem was to make sure that if I put a relay satellite here it wasn't going to be inside the shadow of my Kerbin constellation. So I drew some diagrams and did the calculations based on the point where my 3 KerbSats would be casting their longest shadow. I used their actual orbits in the calculation and then got lazy (while erring gently on the side of caution) with plotting the signal's path past the Mun (I pretended the Mun was a cube). But the figure I arrived at for the longest signal shadow cast by the Mun was:

2,431,028.1 m...

And the SOI of the Mun (according to KSP wiki)?

2,429,559.1 m

This seems to be more of a happy coincidence than anything derivable (although if someone wants to prove me wrong, I would love to see it) but it seemed like too beautiful a coincidence not to share

I created a .cfg file for the new RLA Stockalike V13 probes. Not sure where to put it so I'll like here for now. If I should put it somewhere else let me know (I guess I could check it into github if the boss wants me to) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9490187/RemoteTech_RLA_Probes.cfg

I've tested it and it seems to work just fine. Let me know if you have any problems with it.

You'll need to create a new .cfg (configuration file) and place it in the Remotetech folder, like the one I posted above. It should be a cut and paste job. Use a plain text file (in Windows use Wordpad or Notepad) or copy an existing .cfg to the desktop and use it as a template. The all you need to do is change the name of the part. This needs to be the name INSIDE the part .cfg file, not the common part name or file name. Make sure you change the file name (something descriptive referencing the mod it works with), attribution, and remove all the old probes when you are done. Then copy and paste the new file it back into RemoteTech folder. The important lines are these:

@PART[probeCoreSphere]:FOR[RemoteTech]
{
%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {
}

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntennaPassive] {
%TechRequired = unmannedTech
%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.3
%PacketSize = 2
%PacketResourceCost = 15.0
}
}
}

If you want to create a Remote Command capable probe core, you need to use slightly different code e.g. the 2.5m Stock stack probe:

@PART[probeStackLarge]:FOR[RemoteTech]
{
%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {
%IsRTCommandStation = true
%RTCommandMinCrew = 6
}

%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.3
%PacketSize = 2
}
}
}

Both examples are from Cilph's stock probe .cfg, which I used to create the one I made.

Edited by KombatWombat

You'll need to create a new .cfg (configuration file) and place it in the Remotetech folder, like the one I posted above. It should be a cut and paste job. Use a plain text file (in Windows use Wordpad or Notepad) or copy an existing .cfg to the desktop and use it as a template. The all you need to do is change the name of the part. This needs to be the name INSIDE the part .cfg file, not the common part name or file name. Make sure you change the file name (something descriptive referencing the mod it works with), attribution, and remove all the old probes when you are done. Then copy and paste the new file it back into RemoteTech folder. The important lines are these:

@PART[probeCoreSphere]:FOR[RemoteTech]
{
%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {
}

%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.3
%PacketSize = 2
}
}
}

If you want to create a Remote Command capable probe core, you need to use slightly different code e.g. the 2.5m Stock stack probe:

@PART[probeStackLarge]:FOR[RemoteTech]
{
%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {
%IsRTCommandStation = true
%RTCommandMinCrew = 6
}

%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.3
%PacketSize = 2
}
}
}

Both examples are from Cilph's stock probe .cfg, which I used to create the on I made.

Awesome,thank you very much :)

I have a problem:

My comm DTS-M! (mediumdishanetna) doesnt transmit data, i tried to fix it like i fix the problem on Communotron 16 (and added that capability to Communotorn 32, but i was unbale toi do it, so i let it like it was before.

Could someone make a cfg file or something that let me use the DTS-M1 to transmit Data (add Module Data Transmitter)?

I have a problem:

My comm DTS-M! (mediumdishanetna) doesnt transmit data, i tried to fix it like i fix the problem on Communotron 16 (and added that capability to Communotorn 32, but i was unbale toi do it, so i let it like it was before.

Could someone make a cfg file or something that let me use the DTS-M1 to transmit Data (add Module Data Transmitter)?

The Communitron 16 and the DTS-M1 should already be usable for data transmission.

From the MM patches, I can see that RemoteTech deletes the stock ModuleDataTransmitter from stock antennae. I can also see this is done to allow RemoteTech to handle connectivity, because it also adds data transmitter values to the stock antennae. This is done in the ModuleRTAntenna, which is added by the same patch.

Are you sure you have RemoteTech installed correctly? I am just guessing, but I think you might get the symptoms you describe by installing RT but not installing the DLL, which is required to enable RemoteTech.

The Communitron 16 and the DTS-M1 should already be usable for data transmission.

From the MM patches, I can see that RemoteTech deletes the stock ModuleDataTransmitter from stock antennae. I can also see this is done to allow RemoteTech to handle connectivity, because it also adds data transmitter values to the stock antennae. This is done in the ModuleRTAntenna, which is added by the same patch.

Are you sure you have RemoteTech installed correctly? I am just guessing, but I think you might get the symptoms you describe by installing RT but not installing the DLL, which is required to enable RemoteTech.

im pretty sure its a problem that occurs, even with RT installed correctly. i have a 60gm antenna, i think, regardless, its status on direct connection with mission control is ok, and yet when i try to transfer orbital data, it simply doesent work. everything should work, i have a data connection, etc. any idea?

Hey all,

I have a probe core on my lander that isn't connected to my sat network, although I think it should be. I am using the root range model. Network is in Keosync with a DTS-M1 pointed at Kerbin. Network is fully powered and is working fine otherwise. Lander has power and a DP-10 Omni on-board. Connection range should be 2800 km, but as you can see in the screenshots, I am not connecting. Distance in these screenshots is close (2791 km), but should still connect.

Thoughts?

Screenshots here: http://1drv.ms/1LB63Cp

I'm having the same problem as stellarator. None of my dishes are transmitting data. I haven't tried doing yet on this save but I have been able to do it on other saves before this. I've looked into the mm cfgs and it looks like all the info is still there. The RT2 folder is in the GameData folder and in no others. I have a really long mod list but as far as I am tracking none of them conflict with RT2. Does any one have any idea what's going on?

The flight computer has this unfortunate tendency to put the ship into an out-of-control spin under some circumstances. The problem seems to always be associated with changes in the structure of the vessel (e.g. docking, undocking, using the Claw), but it's not a temporary glitch after the change; it persists even if I change the focus, or save and reload. It's driving me bananas at the moment because it's making unmanned asteroid redirect missions all but impossible: the bug kicks in very reliably when capturing an asteroid, and as a result I can't get the asteroid to hold attitude long enough for a burn.

I might actually be annoyed enough to try to fix this. Before I sink too much time into it, though, is it a known issue? Any guesses where the problem might lie?

For you folks having trouble sending data: perhaps you might try copying your install of KSP to another directory. In that copy, include RT and ModuleManager but no other mods. See if RemoteTech works for you there.

If it does work, then try adding your other mods back in. (If you have a lot, I suggest adding them in chunks.) You will want to narrow things down to figure out which one is breaking RT.

Once you find one that seems to break RT, make sure to run with just that mod, RT, and MM, and see if you can confirm the conflict.

Hi:

I've put together a config which adds ModuleSPU and ModuleRTAntennaPassive to the new RLA-Stockalike probe cores. I can't vouch for correctness, but it seems to work for me.

In case it's useful for somebody else, here it is. Please feel free to use & abuse in any way you see fit.

RemoteTech_RLA_Stockalike_Probes.cfg

@PART[RLA_small_probe_4sides]:AFTER[RLA_Stockalike]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]
{
%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {}

%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.3
%PacketSize = 2
}
}
}

@PART[RLA_small_probe_4sides_gold]:AFTER[RLA_Stockalike]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]
{
%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {}

%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.3
%PacketSize = 2
}
}
}

@PART[RLA_small_probe_6sides_gold]:AFTER[RLA_Stockalike]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]
{
%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {}

%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.3
%PacketSize = 2
}
}
}

@PART[RLA_small_probe_8sides_gold]:AFTER[RLA_Stockalike]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]
{
%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {}

%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.3
%PacketSize = 2
}
}
}

@PART[RLA_small_probe_24sides]:AFTER[RLA_Stockalike]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]
{
%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {}

%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.3
%PacketSize = 2
}
}
}

@PART[RLA_small_probe_24sides_gold]:AFTER[RLA_Stockalike]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]
{
%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {}

%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.3
%PacketSize = 2
}
}
}

@PART[RLA_small_probe_QBE_gold]:AFTER[RLA_Stockalike]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]
{
%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {}

%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.3
%PacketSize = 2
}
}
}

The flight computer has this unfortunate tendency to put the ship into an out-of-control spin under some circumstances. The problem seems to always be associated with changes in the structure of the vessel (e.g. docking, undocking, using the Claw), but it's not a temporary glitch after the change; it persists even if I change the focus, or save and reload. It's driving me bananas at the moment because it's making unmanned asteroid redirect missions all but impossible: the bug kicks in very reliably when capturing an asteroid, and as a result I can't get the asteroid to hold attitude long enough for a burn.

I might actually be annoyed enough to try to fix this. Before I sink too much time into it, though, is it a known issue? Any guesses where the problem might lie?

From what I see, I guess it's problem with multiple vessel in physics range which confuses flight computers.

Two workarounds I'm using:

1. Change the save file, find the problematic vessel, and delete the whole flightcomputer section content in the probe of that vessel. This works for me every time, but may not be easy if you're not familiar with save file editing.

2. Just wait for other vessels unload, change scene, and then flight computer should go back normally. This is easier, but may or may not applicable depending on your orbit and what you want to do.

I actually don't see the problem with asteroids. I saw it sometimes when I'm doing maneuvers right after a split a ship into a bunch (all of them are individually controllable).

From what I see, I guess it's problem with multiple vessel in physics range which confuses flight computers.

Two workarounds I'm using:

1. Change the save file, find the problematic vessel, and delete the whole flightcomputer section content in the probe of that vessel. This works for me every time, but may not be easy if you're not familiar with save file editing.

2. Just wait for other vessels unload, change scene, and then flight computer should go back normally. This is easier, but may or may not applicable depending on your orbit and what you want to do.

I actually don't see the problem with asteroids. I saw it sometimes when I'm doing maneuvers right after a split a ship into a bunch (all of them are individually controllable).

Hmm. Maybe there are two separate problems at work here? I've had trouble after splitting a ship as you describe (although part of that is a bug where inactive ships in physics range use the active ship's target instead of their own), but I definitely haven't had more than one ship in physics range when I've had the asteroid problem.

Ok so I did some testing. The base game shows the ability to transmit data but when I install RT and only RT it removes it. I've tried with both the MM that is packaged with it and the most up to date MM. Any ideas on whats going on?

This is a snip from a .cfg for the RT antennas from the MM files in the RT-

@PART[RTLongAntenna2]:FOR[RemoteTech]

{

%TechRequired = largeElectrics

@MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric]

{

%allowManualControl = false

}

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna] {

%Mode0OmniRange = 0

%Mode1OmniRange = 5000000

%MaxQ = 3000

%EnergyCost = 0.6

%DeployFxModules = 0

%TRANSMITTER {

%PacketInterval = 0.3

%PacketSize = 2

}

}

%MODULE[ModuleSPUPassive] {}

}

It shows that the Transmitter is there

This is the .cfg for the Communotron 88-88.

PART

{

name = commDish

module = Part

author = NovaSilisko

mesh = model.mu

scale = 1

rescaleFactor = 1

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0

TechRequired = electronics

entryCost = 3400

cost = 1100

category = Science

subcategory = 0

title = Communotron 88-88

manufacturer = Ionic Symphonic Protonic Electronics

description = The Communotron High-Gain Antenna, model 88-88 allows for long-range, high-speed communication.

attachRules = 1,1,0,0,0

mass = 0.025

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.2

minimum_drag = 0.2

angularDrag = 2

crashTolerance = 7

maxTemp = 2000 // = 3000

PhysicsSignificance = 1

bulkheadProfiles = size0, srf

MODULE

{

name = ModuleAnimateGeneric

animationName = dish

isOneShot = false

startEventGUIName = Extend

endEventGUIName = Retract

actionGUIName = Toggle Antenna

allowAnimationWhileShielded = False

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleDataTransmitter

packetInterval = 0.10

packetSize = 2

packetResourceCost = 20.0

requiredResource = ElectricCharge

DeployFxModules = 0

}

}

It has the name as ModuleDataTransmitter. Could the problem be that the MM file has it named wrong?

Edited by uncle natzer

Having a weird issue in RSS with remote tech where sometimes there is a link to ground station, yet probe says it is out of electric charge and there is no connection. The strange thing is, there is plenty of charge, and the connection comes back at 5X timewarp, but is broken as soon as I return to regular speed:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

edit: found out the reason, looks like each avionics package needs its own electric charge, problem solved.

Edited by GuardianofBlind

Ok so I did some testing. The base game shows the ability to transmit data but when I install RT and only RT it removes it. I've tried with both the MM that is packaged with it and the most up to date MM. Any ideas on whats going on?

This is a snip from a .cfg for the RT antennas from the MM files in the RT-

<SNIP SNIPPED>

It has the name as ModuleDataTransmitter. Could the problem be that the MM file has it named wrong?

If you look at RemoteTech_Squad_Antennas.cfg, you will see that for each Squad antenna, the ModuleDataTransmitter is removed. This module as the info enabling the stock method of data communications.

As you noted, RT uses ModuleRTAntenna, which includes the TRANSMITTER portion, containing the PacketInterval, PacketSize, and PacketResourceCost, which you will note are quite similar to the values included in the stock ModuleDataTransmitter.

I haven't seen the code, but I'm betting that ModuleDataTransmitter has to be removed to disable the stock data transmission on the antenna, which doesn't care about range or LOS.

Instead, RemoteTech.dll is using the values included in ModuleRTAntenna to enable RT's antenna behaviors for each part, including data transmission.

I should also point out that RT works correctly for most people, including me. The symptoms you describe make me believe that you have an install problem, not an RT bug.

Edited by Gryphon

I have MM and the RT folder placed into the GameData folder, not placed into any others. I have no problems with any other mods I have installed. All other aspects of RT works correctly. Could it have something to do with scanning for ore? I ran into the problem with the large ore scanning dish, I don't remember the name.

Is there any way to limit the player's ability of turning the power on and off when there's no connection to the KSC?

Would be awesome to add KSC connection check to the Kerbal Engineer mod...

Are there any addons to add bigger antennae to reach Outer Planets and Transneidonian (Transkeptunian) objects?

Great mod!