[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Hello. I've got a problem with RemoteTech on my game.

I've set tree satellites in a perfect triangular orbit around Kerbin at 800km. All tree have one dish pointing at the KSC and a Communotron-32. The antennas are active and "running". I hoped the three satellites would be connected together, but for some reason the omni links aren't working.

I've done the same design before with a Communotron-16 and it worked fine. Is it a problem with the Communotron-32 ? How can I fix it?

I'm trying to mod some station components to act like the Remote Guidance Unit in your mod (i.e. have over X kerbals on board, reset signal lag times, and act as a command center). However, I can't find where the RGU information is in the mod. According to the wiki, it should be called ProbeStackLarge in the game data files. But in the /GameData/RemoteTech/RemoteTech_Squad_Probes.cfg file, the RGU doesn't have anything that looks like it similar to other probes. Is the information stored somewhere I overlooked, or is it not possible to add this functionality without writing a new .dll file?

this part is what you want:

%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {

%IsRTCommandStation = true

%RTCommandMinCrew = 6

}

@FancyMouse

Wow I can't believe I had missed those lines. Thank you!

@Polnoch

I am using the CTT in my current save and everything has been satisfactory in terms of node placement as long as you go to the Mun before Minmus.

Edited by Tralfagar

@FancyMouse

Wow I can't believe I had missed those lines. Thank you!

@Polnoch

I am using the CTT in my current save and everything has been satisfactory in terms of node placement as long as you go to the Mun before Minmus.

Thank you for answer. But how about place of devices in community tree? Did you check place of devices in next steps, after Mun and Minmus?

Edited by Polnoch

Hello. I've got a problem with RemoteTech on my game.

I've set tree satellites in a perfect triangular orbit around Kerbin at 800km. All tree have one dish pointing at the KSC and a Communotron-32. The antennas are active and "running". I hoped the three satellites would be connected together, but for some reason the omni links aren't working.

I've done the same design before with a Communotron-16 and it worked fine. Is it a problem with the Communotron-32 ? How can I fix it?

UP... I think RemoteTech is broken in my save. Not only the omni won't work correctly, but the RT icons in the tracking station aren't there anymore.

In the log I found this :

[LOG 20:52:47.900] RemoteTech: Loading Flightcomputer from persistent!

[LOG 20:52:47.900] RemoteTech: Save flightconfig after unpacking

[ERR 20:52:47.900] Cannot load PartModule #14 because ConfigNode contains no module name

[WRN 20:52:47.900] PartModule is null.

[LOG 20:52:47.900] RemoteTech: ModuleSPU: OnDestroy

[LOG 20:52:47.900] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntennaPassive: OnDestroy

[WRN 20:52:47.941] [Part]: PartModule ModuleRTDataTransmitter at longAntenna, index 6: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

Looking for ModuleRTDataTransmitter in other indices...

[ERR 20:52:47.941] ...no ModuleRTDataTransmitter module found on part definition. Skipping...

[WRN 20:52:47.941] PartModule is null.

[LOG 20:52:48.780] RemoteTech: SatelliteManager: OnRegister(VesselSatellite(ComSat Mk4 Keostationary B, 68d3410d-bcd3-4c3c-847b-512162146df0))

[LOG 20:52:48.780] RemoteTech: NetworkManager: SatelliteRegister(VesselSatellite(ComSat Mk4 Keostationary B, 68d3410d-bcd3-4c3c-847b-512162146df0))

[LOG 20:52:48.780] RemoteTech: AntennaManager: RegisterProtos(ComSat Mk4 Keostationary B, 68d3410d-bcd3-4c3c-847b-512162146df0)

[LOG 20:52:48.780] RemoteTech: ProtoAntenna(Name: Reflectron KR-7, Guid: 68d3410d-bcd3-4c3c-847b-512162146df0, Dish: 9E+07, Omni: 0, Target: d4cb9a67-6f01-4208-91b3-eba43acdfd4f, CosAngle: 0.976296007119933)

[LOG 20:52:48.780] RemoteTech: AntennaManager: OnRegister(Reflectron KR-7)

[EXC 20:52:48.781] FormatException: Invalid format for Guid.Guid(string).

System.Guid+GuidParser.ParseChar (Char c)

System.Guid+GuidParser.ParseGuid2 ()

System.Guid+GuidParser.Parse ()

System.Guid..ctor (System.String g)

RemoteTech.Modules.ProtoAntenna..ctor (.Vessel v, .ProtoPartSnapshot p, .ProtoPartModuleSnapshot ppms)

RemoteTech.AntennaManager.RegisterProtos (.Vessel v)

RemoteTech.RTCore.Start ()

RemoteTech.RTCoreFlight.Start ()

EDIT : After a tons of tweaking with Persistance, I found the problem...

Sometimes "RTAntennaTarget = " is blank. That apparently throws an exception in RT.

I have no idea why some lines are blank.

I'm going to open an issue on GitHub

Edited by OzoneGrif

Thank you for answer. But how about place of devices in community tree? Did you check place of devices in next steps, after Mun and Minmus?

I'm just setting up a Minmus base and already have more than enough science to unlock the Duna-capable antenna (if not the farside-capable, definitely the near-side one). I think I did about 3 or 4 single biome landings in each with maybe a goo or science lab or just EVA experiments. If I hadn't dawdled, I could have met the first Duna transfer window.

Right now when it comes to rendering connections between vessels in map view, I believe the mod checks for all vessels within range and renders those connections, on a per vessel basis. The problem is, this creates an insane amount of visual cluttering.

Would it be possible to instead have only the minimum possible amount of connections get rendered? It would be more like a tree of connections, instead of having an independent line for each individual "in range" pair generating the insane cluttering.

If a burn is not completed for any reason it gets stuck in computer. This clearly a bug that needs still fixed. After all commands can be removed with this exception of the executing maneuver. Even with communications established there is no way to cancel this unfinished command. Even removing the maneuver node will not clear the bad command. Is there a method of wiping out unfinished executing maneuver commands?

EDIT found solution I picked custom heading and it deleted the unfinished executing maneuver. Recalculating next burn now and off we go :sticktongue:

Edited by nobodyhasthis

Ok - not sure if I am doing something wrong (most likely) or if there is a bug:

I have 3 satellites orbiting kerbin, each has Communitron 32 and 2 88-88. They are in synchronous orbits and constantly linked. I launched my first probe out of the kerbin soi to Moho, it has a communitron 32 and 2 88-88 as well. I targeted kerbin with one 88-88 and aimed the 3 satellites in LKO to the new probe (one 88-88 from each)...as soon as I get out of the kerbin soi and begin the trek to Moho, it says I am no longer linked. I assume that this happened as soon as I left the range of the comm. 32 but I am not sure how else to do it if I am wrong.

Anybody see what I am doing wrong?

All four antennae are active and targeted correctly (or at least correct to how I set them up)...

so what am I doing wrong (or not)?

I assumed that as long as I targeted kerbin then I would be linked, but this appears to not not be the case.

Ok - not sure if I am doing something wrong (most likely) or if there is a bug:

I have 3 satellites orbiting kerbin, each has Communitron 32 and 2 88-88. They are in synchronous orbits and constantly linked. I launched my first probe out of the kerbin soi to Moho, it has a communitron 32 and 2 88-88 as well. I targeted kerbin with one 88-88 and aimed the 3 satellites in LKO to the new probe (one 88-88 from each)...as soon as I get out of the kerbin soi and begin the trek to Moho, it says I am no longer linked. I assume that this happened as soon as I left the range of the comm. 32 but I am not sure how else to do it if I am wrong.

Anybody see what I am doing wrong?

All four antennae are active and targeted correctly (or at least correct to how I set them up)...

so what am I doing wrong (or not)?

I assumed that as long as I targeted kerbin then I would be linked, but this appears to not not be the case.

The 88-88 has too narrow a cone to reach your satellites until you actually get to Moho. Hopefully you don't have to make a correction burn along the way but it will come back as you approach Moho. It might come back sooner. The communication cone expands the further you get from Kerbin. This image kind of depicts what is happening. There will also be a brief period where each satellite orbits into your communication cone and will bring back communications, so setup your correction burn if you need one and when communications come back, execute it with the flight computer controls. It will fire automatically even when you don't have control.

yhoXCEE.png

Edited by Alshain

If a burn is not completed for any reason it gets stuck in computer. This clearly a bug that needs still fixed. After all commands can be removed with this exception of the executing maneuver. Even with communications established there is no way to cancel this unfinished command. Even removing the maneuver node will not clear the bad command. Is there a method of wiping out unfinished executing maneuver commands?

EDIT found solution I picked custom heading and it deleted the unfinished executing maneuver. Recalculating next burn now and off we go :sticktongue:

Don't forget the "kill" button.

Guys. I've either got a bug or I'm dumb. Currently on a mission to Ike. I sent a probe droid cluster, one for science, the other two to set up a relay for 100% coverage of duna/ike. When they got there, I detached the two relay probes, each with 3 communotron dishes (the 40GM range ones). With the 3, I selected "Probe Deep Space Alpha", the other relay, and the science probe which will be sent to ike. Probe deep space alpha is in a 47Mm polar orbit of Kerbin, it has the 45 degree cone pointed at kerbin (which has it's own network), and then it has three of the 40Gm dishes pointed at "active vessel", "duna", and one of the relay probes around duna.

SOMEHOW, I'm losing connection to the active vessel around Ike right now. There's nothing in the way. When I switch to the probe around Kerbin, it HAS connection, and I confirm that the 40GM dish is pointed AT the vessel I want to control (and it says "ok", it's not blocked by anything"). So then I go to the vessel which I just confirmed is in range, and confirm that its dish is pointed at the deep space probe around Kerbin, which it is. And the ship has power. So why on earth is there "no connection"? There's two vessels which each have a 40Gm dish pointed at each other, with nothing in between, both have power, yet there's no connection.

Am I missing something? I've used remote tech for a while and thought I understood how everything worked but I could be wrong. I just don't have any idea what the issue is.

EDIT:

At first I wondered if it's some weird bug that has to do with detaching 3 autonomous probes from one launched vessel. But that can't be right, because I can't even get a direct connection from the original vessel back to Kerbin. It's off and on. Seems to go off for like 30ish minutes every few hours or something.

Thanks for help.

EDIT II:

Figured it out lol. So the deep space probe only had a connection when I was controlling it, because a bunch of satellites had "active vessel", but when I wasn't controlling it, it only worked when it could point to mission control, because I hadn't calibrated my kerbin network to always point at the deep space probe.

Edited by Crixomix

Well I'm wondering why the internal antennae of probes isn't working, isn't the 3km antenna meant to make sure you "have control on launchpad"? So I could active other stuff there?

But as shown I have "no connection" on the launchpad:

T6jeCrw.jpg

For completecy, I do have the antenna global range reduced by half. - But then also set to use the advanced (Additive) antenna formula's.

Well I'm wondering why the internal antennae of probes isn't working, isn't the 3km antenna meant to make sure you "have control on launchpad"? So I could active other stuff there?

But as shown I have "no connection" on the launchpad:

http://i.imgur.com/T6jeCrw.jpg

For completecy, I do have the antenna global range reduced by half. - But then also set to use the advanced (Additive) antenna formula's.

I've had some of this as well; I think its tied to a tech level, is it unmanned exploration? I'm away from my PC to be able to check. I would look in the CFG files, the MM patches to see what the techrequired might indicate. I agree that in any case it is a bit unclear. (To me at least! >< )

Hmmm... The OKTO .cfg in my install of KSP, shows "Electrics" needs to be unlocked...And the RT Squad probes .cfg says the OKTO needs "Unmanned Tech" unlocked, which in turn needs "Precision Engineering", which inturn needs "Electrics" or "Miniaturization", both of which req. "Basic Science", which requires "Survivability", which reqs "Engineering 101"....

I'm pretty sure the tech tree part "upgrade" is just a dummy part to let you know about the upgrade, it doesn't actually control whether the upgrade is applied. The part config files actually determine when a probe gets the upgrade, so it sounds like the part in the tech tree isn't placed accurately. In my install, the upgrade part is listed under Unmanned Tech.

I could be wrong, but also, I believe when you install RT, it adds its own .cfgs, changing/overiding any stock parts settings, (for parts that are listed in the RT .cfg, anyway...)...

Hence, the RT .cfg listing "Unmanned Tech" for the OKTO (two levels above "Electrics")... This is probably just for the RemoteTech/communications SPU MODULE in the .cfg, NOT when the part itself gets unlocked... If I've got it wrong, I'm sure someone who knows will pipe in shortly... :)

EDIT: So I just checked, and in a stock game, with ONLY RT2 installed, the OKTO doesnt show until "Electrics" in the TechTree... ???

EDIT #2:

So I just checked, and it seems changing the RangeMultiplier affects all antennas, EXCEPT KSC Mission Control:

https://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/guide/settings/

Not sure if this has anything to do with the original issue... ??

EDIT #3:

So i just confirmed:

-OKTO doesnt get unlocked till "Electrics"

-W/RT2 installed, it will NOT connect until "Unmanned Tech" is unlocked

-RangeMultiplier set to 0.5, and Mode set to Additive had no effect

So, question to paul23: Are you playing Career/Science, or Sandbox?... If Career/Science, do you indeed have "Unmanned tech" unlocked? If not, I'd say thats the problem... Do you have any other probes unlocked you could test connection with at your current techtree level?

Edited by Stone Blue

^^

Need more info...

Basics:

-Do you have at least a DP-10 antenna?...Is it activated?

-Do you have enough electricity?... I notice you dont have the motor running, so do you have a battery (or another means that is currently generating electricity)?