[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

You can try and replace the null antenna target with a station GUID from the RSS RemoteTech_Settings.cfg file but be careful what station you choose: depending on the distance of the spacecraft from Earth, you may need to set an antenna target towards a communication site that has enough range to reach it.

Possible GUIDs you can try. This refers to the Goldstone DNS station:

5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc112

This one to the Madrid DNS station:

5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc113

And this one to the Canberra DNS station:

5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc114

This method also applies to all available GUIDs listed.

Edited by Phineas Freak

Is there no "antenna code" that refer to any comm site on earth/kerbin? Normally when I active my dishes I just set the target to "earth", but I suppose that with the distances involved from mercury/mars (my current probe targets) any site will let me speak to the probe, even with a tiny cone width?

3 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

Yes, the code that you refer is the GUID (unique for each station).

If your spacecrafts are that far away, you should not have any problems with the antenna beamwidth.

I think he is asking if there is a code/guid for "Earth Conal" rather than "A Specific Station".

I suppose launching a probecore with an antenna into orbit would work? Then I can just copy whatever ID is stored for that antenna in the save onto my other probes?

Edit. Just an update in case anyone else has the same problem, I tried launching another satellite into orbit and then write down the ID of that craft. Went over to my Mars probe and quicsaved. After opening the quicksave in notepad and searching for the antennatarget of my dummy satellite I got the following string

4b657262-696e-4b65-7262-696e4b657262

Which I then copied onto the mars probe, saved the document and hit F9 in game. After reloading the satellite correctly had its target set as "Kerbin" and I can now issue commands to the probe.

Edited by Tardigrade89

Discovering RemoteTech this evening: really I love this awesome mod, add a ton of realism about probes communications.

I'm a douche (:lol:) because I've installed RemoteTech after I've previously launched two survey probes (career mode). Both probe have Communotron 88-88 antenna + MechJeb AR202 module. One is orbiting Kerbin (polar @ 150x150 km) mainly for ore scanning (SCANsat Altimetry Sensor + M4435 Narrow-Band Scanner), the second - less important - orbiting Mun on specific orbit (required to complete an old contract).

Houston we've a problem! now I can't control both (outdated) probes!!! have permanent "No connection" message - can't acquire signal... :lol: In fact, it's normal (I suppose) because these probes don't have required antennas (such Reflectron DP-10 or equivalent) I precise all are unlocked in R&D tree.

Okay, one possible (exciting) challenge is to update the probe(s) in space (using KIS & KAS addons also), to add required antennas, after orbital rendezvous, EVA by engineer... but in career mode, lauching spacecraft is expensive, unfortunately!

Dominique (greetings from Chartres, France)

Edited by DomiKamu

1 hour ago, blu3wolf said:

You could temporarily install RemoteTech XF, which allows you to adjust antenna targeting even without a connection. Then uninstall it afterwards.

Thanks about this tip blu3wolf! I'll try this ASAP.

EDIT: doesn't work (don't have button to enable antennas when I do right click). Don't matter, I've destroyed these probes from tracking station!

Edited by DomiKamu

Got a small issue, I don't seem to be able to transmit any science data back from manned craft. In fact from ANY craft. Keep getting told I have no comms device on this vessel, problem is I do two huge ones in fact attached, powered and linked to my Kerbin relay network and well in range.

Funny thing is that this science error started happening to me all of a sudden. I'll check for more details later but I guess it's only happening in my Mks academy which is like the stock lab. It's full of science and can't transmit anything. I'll try uninstalling science alert and getting the latest remote Tech. BTW I'm still in 1.0.4

19 hours ago, Cheesywotsit said:

Got a small issue, I don't seem to be able to transmit any science data back from manned craft. In fact from ANY craft. Keep getting told I have no comms device on this vessel, problem is I do two huge ones in fact attached, powered and linked to my Kerbin relay network and well in range.

I've got similar problem, can't launch an empty command pod with probe and antenna attached, even though it's connected and throttle works, can't stage and get "no connection" message when I try to do anything. No science alert installed.

Edit: Adding 'Unmanned' to command pod config file seems to work.

Edited by russiannuke
Fixed? for now anyway

Okay so after very much head scratching, removing, reinstall mods and testing testing testing it seems my mistake was rather too simple, turns out I have two relay networks, my early network called Gnat in a Kerbinsync orbit, which had a range of to around just outside Kerbin system and my newer second network called Spider. Which was a Kerbol wide network. Now I assumed or at least I was pretty sure that I placed everything correctly, and that I interlinked the two networks, a double safety should Kerbinsync orbit fail on either of the networks, a total of ten probes surely at least one would be in LOS of mission control? Turns out though that I hadn't. My Spider network was self contained and slowly over time the probe sitting over Mission control had moved out of LOS. Hence failure of the comm device.

I installed Remote XF, adjusted my probes and now it all seems to be working, so, uh yeah user error here.

To make it clear, problems with RemoteTech are RemoteTech bugs.
Far too many peaople have problems with it and no "SinceAlert" installed.
After deinstalling RemoteTech all is going well, on the other hand RemoteTech makes the game more intersting and difficult.

Bad to miss this formerly good mod.

It seems like i have a issue too with remote tech :(

So fare when i try to do a survey for ore, its not showing up on my overlay (both in the probe, and in the tracking (the tracking seem to be a kerbal issue though))

When i remove remote tech it seem to work just fine, i even get the "toggle overlay" option on the m700.

So fare i reinstalled all my mods and game, just to make sure.

// Patrick

On 11/27/2015, 9:27:58, evictedSaint said:

[quote name='Tarius']Hello. I have trouble with science transmission in career mode. My lab on Minmus doesn't want to transmit. Link is set up, I see "Transmit 100% complete" but it does not add any of 400+ science that I have in the lab. Before 1.0.5 I played sandbox mode and it worked fine. Now I have no idea what to do.

I had just come in to complain about the same bug. I get up to 100% and then it just...doesn't transmit the science. Sometimes it'll say "data received" but the science is never actually transmitted. The science stays in the mobile lab, and it wont let me try to transfer again without leaving and returning to the ship. My spacecraft can transmit other data from science modules and Kerbin will receive the science just fine. I can confirm that it's a problem localized to the mobile science lab, and only with remote tech.

This is a pretty widely know issue but unfortunately the fix for it gets drowned in all the people reporting the bug. Unfortunately I'm too lazy to go dig it for you right now.

hi i have 2 questions: will it be possible to configure dishes so, inorder to connect, you have to actually, physically point them at the target?  that would be nice, and second: would it be possible to make a MM config that adds all unmanned command parts that DONT have RT: signal proccesor or whatever so that they DO have a signal processor or whatever, so that way parts without RT support will automatically have RT support, and thus require a connection, without unbalancing the mod too much? and will it be able to have it load last, so parts that are already configured with the module dont get it twice? thanks in advance :) 

I'm no expert, but I'll give it a try...

Your first question: I dont believe so... I know the OLD RemoteTech had an awesome, animated antenna dish, that pointed at and tracked its target... From what I gather, something changed in the game engine, WAAYYY back pre-0.20(?), where the "tracking" module was removed, or changed, or whatever... I'm guessing it would be no simple task to get that functionality back, or we probably would have a FEW tracking dishes like that in the current game...

As to adding RT to all command pods, yes, a simple MM .cfg should be able to do that... You could even specify exactly WHAT pods you wanted to add it to, if not all of them... Such a .cfg may already exist...I'm not sure...

Now, I'm sure someone who knows better will chime in if I got that all wrong...lol

4 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

I'm no expert, but I'll give it a try...

Your first question: I dont believe so... I know the OLD RemoteTech had an awesome, animated antenna dish, that pointed at and tracked its target... From what I gather, something changed in the game engine, WAAYYY back pre-0.20(?), where the "tracking" module was removed, or changed, or whatever... I'm guessing it would be no simple task to get that functionality back, or we probably would have a FEW tracking dishes like that in the current game...

As to adding RT to all command pods, yes, a simple MM .cfg should be able to do that... You could even specify exactly WHAT pods you wanted to add it to, if not all of them... Such a .cfg may already exist...I'm not sure...

Now, I'm sure someone who knows better will chime in if I got that all wrong...lol

I might be able to do it, even, but..... i assume someone will come about eventually, and they might be able to make me one.... hopefully :)

@123nick

I checked thru my hoard of mods & configs,  and I found a config that supposedly adds RT to all unmanned command pods/cores.

Its in the below spoiler... Unfortunately, i dont know who authored it, and if I'm wrong in posting it, someone please LMK and I will remove it.

Spoiler

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]:HAS[#minimumCrew[0]],!MODULE[ModuleSPU]]:Final
{    
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleSPU
    }

MODULE
    {
         name = ModuleRTAntennaPassive
        TechRequired = unmannedTech
        OmniRange = 3000

TRANSMITTER
        {
            PacketInterval = 0.3
            PacketSize = 2
            PacketResourceCost = 15.0
        }
    }
}

Also, just for giggles, heres a few pics of the old MacroDish Sr from the original RT... 1st pic is closed, deactivated, pics 2-5 are of it "animating" open...Pic 6, shows the two joints where I think it rotated to track its target... It yawed at the bottom "plate", and IIRC, pitched at the top joint at the back of the dish...

20 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

@123nick

I checked thru my hoard of mods & configs,  and I found a config that supposedly adds RT to all unmanned command pods/cores.

Its in the below spoiler... Unfortunately, i dont know who authored it, and if I'm wrong in posting it, someone please LMK and I will remove it.

Hide contents

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]:HAS[#minimumCrew[0]],!MODULE[ModuleSPU]]:Final
{    
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleSPU
    }

MODULE
    {
         name = ModuleRTAntennaPassive
        TechRequired = unmannedTech
        OmniRange = 3000

TRANSMITTER
        {
            PacketInterval = 0.3
            PacketSize = 2
            PacketResourceCost = 15.0
        }
    }
}

Also, just for giggles, heres a few pics of the old MacroDish Sr from the original RT... 1st pic is closed, deactivated, pics 2-5 are of it "animating" open...Pic 6, shows the two joints where I think it rotated to track its target... It yawed at the bottom "plate", and IIRC, pitched at the top joint at the back of the dish...

thanks! and thats a pretty neat dish, although i was thinking of where you need to orient the entire ship, manually, so the dish was pointing in the right direction. but you probably got the idea :)

Hmm, that DLL Fancymouse created doesn't fix it for me.  It also seems to break lots of things as well (e.g. map view doesn't show anything, antennas say targets are unknown).  I just revert back to the previous dll.

Any word from MOD creator on official fix as yet?