[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

I don't recall ever seeing this feature being abstracted out. It's always been a thing since I started with 0.23. You have the ability to see dish cones in the Tracking Station so yea, check and make sure your cone will cover the area you need to stay in contact with the satellite, otherwise point directly at the satellite until you are farther out. You can change dish assignments from the Tracking Station when it's able to keep the satellite within its cone

lhrxebq.png

So, then I'm assuming by this crude and vague imagery, that I'm in the right line of sight, and the wrong range.

That doesn't explain at all why the dish was unable to connect to Kerbin from within Kerbin's immediate SOI (like within the Mun's orbit, or within Minmus').

So, then I'm assuming by this crude and vague imagery, that I'm in the right line of sight, and the wrong range.

I'll admit it would be nice to be able to view dish cones individually, since having a lot of them can really make it hard to see what cone is what sometimes. But in this case it's perfectly clear that your 88-88 cone (practically still a line) isn't wide enough to cover anything on Kerbin at this distance.

That doesn't explain at all why the dish was unable to connect to Kerbin from within Kerbin's immediate SOI (like within the Mun's orbit, or within Minmus').

Sure it does, again - too narrow. Even if it does manage to sweep across KSC or an orbiting satellite, the connection will probably be too brief to notice or do anything with. You'll just have to stick to pointing directly at something (satellite or ground station) until you get farther away from Kerbin. Just check the dish UI - in recent versions it will tell you what satellites/stations are within the cone of your dish when you go to point it at a body

I'll admit it would be nice to be able to view dish cones individually, since having a lot of them can really make it hard to see what cone is what sometimes. But in this case it's perfectly clear that your 88-88 cone (practically still a line) isn't wide enough to cover anything on Kerbin at this distance.

Okay, this must be a new feature for the 88-88. Any idea when its cone broadens out?

Sure it does, again - too narrow. Even if it does manage to sweep across KSC or an orbiting satellite, the connection will probably be too brief to notice or do anything with. You'll just have to stick to pointing directly at something (satellite or ground station) until you get farther away from Kerbin. Just check the dish UI - in recent versions it will tell you what satellites/stations are within the cone of your dish when you go to point it at a body

Did not realize that, I'll have to try that out. Unfortunately, my direct line is far too short ranged for the satellite, which is now beyond connection range. It's still pointed at Kerbin, so maybe I can hope that the cone will broaden or I'll just wind up scrapping the mission.

Btw, Peppie, is there a reason why the Reflectron GX-128 is in Advanced Science Tech while using Community Tech Tree? All the other antennae are under the Electronics branch, seems like that would be a good place for the highest-end antenna.

EDIT: Okay, I finally unlocked a higher gain antenna and put it up. It was either that, or my probe having flown far enough for the cone angle (seriously, there needs to be a more informative way to know this) to pick up a connection. So, I'm curious what the "x.xxMm beam covers 21 targets" info means.

ONO0qsx.png

Edited by jordanjay29

Okay, this must be a new feature for the 88-88. Any idea when its cone broadens out?

As I described above, the Player's Guide says:

Cone Diameter 0.06°

Cone covers Kerbin at 1,100,000 km

Cone covers keosynchronous orbit at 6,600,000 km

Sure, you could just wait until you are far enough away for the cone to open up, OR you could just point at a specific target, such as KSC or a specific satellite.

You DO NOT need to point at Kerbin.

The reason for pointing at Kerbin or some other celestial body is so that your connection is not dependent on line of sight to that specific target. I also use the short range dish, the DTS-M1, targeted at Kerbin on my keosynchronous comm sats to provide total comms coverage of low orbit.

Oh, and once you have a handle on cone targets vs. point targets, you will want to look at switching your RangeModelType to the Root Range model. I think it makes your antennae feel more realistic, because you can use a big dish to reach out to an omni at a much longer range than with omni to omni - more like real life.

As I described above, the Player's Guide says:

Cone Diameter 0.06°

Cone covers Kerbin at 1,100,000 km

Cone covers keosynchronous orbit at 6,600,000 km

Sure, you could just wait until you are far enough away for the cone to open up, OR you could just point at a specific target, such as KSC or a specific satellite.

You DO NOT need to point at Kerbin.

The reason for pointing at Kerbin or some other celestial body is so that your connection is not dependent on line of sight to that specific target. I also use the short range dish, the DTS-M1, targeted at Kerbin on my keosynchronous comm sats to provide total comms coverage of low orbit.

Oh, and once you have a handle on cone targets vs. point targets, you will want to look at switching your RangeModelType to the Root Range model. I think it makes your antennae feel more realistic, because you can use a big dish to reach out to an omni at a much longer range than with omni to omni - more like real life.

I've always pointed dishes at Kerbin in general when I'm going to be travelling beyond LKO just for the reason you cited. I've just never run into a cone angle issue like this before, or at least never so glaringly obvious.

Mind you, this feels somewhat of a new mod since I haven't played KSP properly since 0.25, and as I recall it took RT quite a while to become compatible with that version, and I may have missed the opportunity to play it then. So I might be 3-4 versions behind in my head.

I've always pointed dishes at Kerbin in general when I'm going to be travelling beyond LKO just for the reason you cited. I've just never run into a cone angle issue like this before, or at least never so glaringly obvious.

Mind you, this feels somewhat of a new mod since I haven't played KSP properly since 0.25, and as I recall it took RT quite a while to become compatible with that version, and I may have missed the opportunity to play it then. So I might be 3-4 versions behind in my head.

I don't think I started using RT until 0.25. :) As I recall, that was shortly after some older antennae got deprecated in favor of newer ones. If so, I understand why that would throw you.

Anyway, if your outbound craft doesn't have any burns planned until it has 1.1Mm of separation from Kerbin, then the loss of signal won't matter all that much. Better, If the craft is equatorial to Kerbin, then I believe you should still get a window of connectivity each Kerbin day as KSC passes through the cone.

RemoteTech is not yet compatible with either of the two full-featured autopilot mods, MechJeb and kOS. Mix at your own risk.

Can someone tell me what issues RT has with MechJeb?

Same issue with KOS I assume?

I can't speak with experience for kOS. It's possible programs will run on their own, but you'll be unable to enter terminal commands without a connection, just a guess though.

I can't speak with experience for kOS. It's possible programs will run on their own, but you'll be unable to enter terminal commands without a connection, just a guess though.

OK Thanks!

Same issue with KOS I assume?

Pretty much, for example if you have no connection to KSC and try to copy to 0. you will get an error, so be sure if you're saving log data to the KSC archive or something while your program is running you check for a connection first!

I mean without remote tech. What's the tweak in the cfg that allows this?

You can use this:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]]:Final
{
@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]
{
%DeployFxModules = 1
%ProgressFxModules = 1
}
}

It wont play animation when you transmit data,but you can manually set the state of antenna.

you remember in early RT when you could access the entire relay network and control what was pointing at what without having to switch ships? can you still do that?

Yea, satellite dish icon in the Tracking Station, lower left.

Yea, satellite dish icon in the Tracking Station, lower left.

hey thanks for your reply (had never noticed that!) but what I meant was, access to your satellite network while you are controlling an active vessel. Jumping out and returning to the tracking station just to re-target a single dish isn't really any more convenient than switching ships. I remember the old days fondly when you could re-focus any of your dishes (provided they were connected) while you were in control of any active vessel that was connected to that network.

When I press f12 it gives me a screenshot... is there another command?

Go to GameData/RemoteTech/RemoteTech_Settings.cfg, open it with text editor,find:

RemoteTechSettings
{

SpeedOfLight = 3E+08Map // change for less ore more delay
EnableSignalDelay = True // change to False for no delay

}

hey thanks for your reply (had never noticed that!) but what I meant was' date=' access to your satellite network while you are controlling an active vessel. Jumping out and returning to the tracking station just to re-target a single dish isn't really any more convenient than switching ships. I remember the old days fondly when you could re-focus any of your dishes (provided they were connected) while you were in control of any active vessel that was connected to that network.[/quote']

In the old days of RT1 this was done with a window. One of the main design limitations set for RT2 was to tie RT functuinality to the stock UI as much as possible, to the point where only the flight computer window was needed (since no stock equivalent existed at the time, and even now the SAS mode switching functionality of the stock UI is a bit too simple).

When in map view, you do have access to a list of all dishes on your ship from a small menu, and in the tracking station that menu will give you access to any dish of whatever ship you are focusing.