[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Two issues I've got with this orbiter and lander combination that's heading towards Duna. The combination is heading towards an 18 km pericenter above Duna, so the plan is to release the lander, raise the orbiter and perform the insertion burn. First, when I separate the two, I can only give commands (e.g. hold prograde) to the lander, not the orbiter. I've tried changing it up with the "Control from here" option, but that doesn't seem to work. Secondly, once the two have decoupled and after the separation has increased to 3000 m, the lander loses connection, even though the orbiter and lander each have a Communotron 32. So what I want is for the orbiter to also act as a relay satellite, similar to the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. I tried having my DSN probe target Duna instead of the orbiter (which has the dishes), as explained in the guide, but that doesn't make any difference.

u7QUopE.png

Any tips for landing unmanned probe on Eve? My plan is to set up my satellite network and then land the delivery vehicle to complete my exploration contract. The problem is of course breakable antennas.

I'm going to have 3 satellites with C32s and C88-88s at about 2000km. Obviously no omni is going to work for Eve because I would have to retract it and then lose communications and game over. However if I put a dish on then I have to redirect one of the 88-88's to my active vessel instead of Kerbin, or I could redesign the sats to have multiple dishes for a more permanent solution in case I want to send more probes.

I'm curious what have other done for Eve? For Duna and Kerbin, I didn't really bother with unmanned probes that land, but I don't want to send a Kerbal to Eve obviously.

Edited by Alshain

Any tips for landing unmanned probe on Eve? My plan is to set up my satellite network and then land the delivery vehicle to complete my exploration contract. The problem is of course breakable antennas.

I'm going to have 3 satellites with C32s and C88-88s at about 2000km. Obviously no omni is going to work for Eve because I would have to retract it and then lose communications and game over. However if I put a dish on then I have to redirect one of the 88-88's to my active vessel instead of Kerbin, or I could redesign the sats to have multiple dishes for a more permanent solution in case I want to send more probes.

I'm curious what have other done for Eve? For Duna and Kerbin, I didn't really bother with unmanned probes that land, but I don't want to send a Kerbal to Eve obviously.

you can have the satellites in a synchronous orbit (10373.195 km) with a omni and set the dish of the lander to point to whichever satellite is over the horizon where you are landing, alternatively if you have the satellites on a different orbit you will need to change the target of the lander's dish during descent.

another way is to set up an automatic descent either using the remotetech flight computer or using some other mods like kOS or smartparts.

with this method you'll be disabling the antenna during descent (hoping you set it up correctly) and then enabling it again when you are safe on the ground.

I can expand on this if you are interested

One question--are you playing with Root Range Model? If so, and presuming you are set on the altitude of 2000km of your satellite network constellation, you could include DTS-M1 dishes on your sats with their dishes pointed towards Eve and a DP-10 on your lander. The root range model gives your lander a 2800km range when paired with the DTS-M1, which should be sufficient if my quick geometry calcs are correct.

Sigma88 also has a great point in that if you use KOS to set your landing profile you can have your Communotron 16 deploy after atmospheric entry when it is safe to do so. If you do that, and again, if you are using root range, your C-16 will easily be able to communicate with your existing C-32s.

Good luck!

PS - If you don't play with Root Range, check it out... http://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/guide/settings/#alternative-rules

Edited by eightiesboi

Nah, I'm playing in Standard mode. I ended up putting two 88-88's on each sattelite. One for active vessel and one for mission control (overkill, I know but I needed the low collapsible profile), plus the omni. Then I put a KR-7 on the lander. I figured that would just make it easier if I wanted to do more surface missions in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, new problem. I can't figure out why this isn't working. I have 2 satellites on either side of Kerbin in synchronous orbit. They have the GX 128 antennas set to active vessel (second picture). I sent my EVE probe out with a 88-88 active and aimed at Mission Control but just outside of Kerbin's SOI I lost communications (first picture). Battery is fine, the Mun & Minmus do not appear to be in the way, what did I do wrong? Please tell me I didn't lose this unit, I'm almost broke. One of the GX-128 has clear sight straight to mission control, the other hops around a lower network.

089EFB43BABE5ACB2807E99656B057B38688C0AB

CC3BA5E73B2AB30D85B65DF1223839529944AE2D

F67919D765090D66E09F92E2A00A321C8B5BD795

I sent my EVE probe out with a 88-88 active and aimed at Mission Control but just outside of Kerbin's SOI I lost communications (first picture).

Well, if you really have the antenna pointed at Mission Control (instead of Kerbin or one of your relay sats), AND you aren't using the Root Range model, then you are limited by the max range of the special KSC omni, at 75,000 km. You need to either target one of the specific sats with the big dishes, or you need to target Kerbin and wait for distance to cause your cone to spread.

(Even with Root Range and the suggested RangeMultiplier of 0.5, you would run out of range well before the max range of the 88-88, so you would want to target Kerbin eventually anyway.)

Well, if you really have the antenna pointed at Mission Control (instead of Kerbin or one of your relay sats), AND you aren't using the Root Range model, then you are limited by the max range of the special KSC omni, at 75,000 km. You need to either target one of the specific sats with the big dishes, or you need to target Kerbin and wait for distance to cause your cone to spread.

(Even with Root Range and the suggested RangeMultiplier of 0.5, you would run out of range well before the max range of the 88-88, so you would want to target Kerbin eventually anyway.)

So it won't automatically find a relay path back to Mission Control?

Edit: Apparently it does find a path automatically, because as I got further away I reconnected. I see what you mean by cone now, I was not aware of that functionality but as my big satellites orbit with Kerbins rotation, they come in and out of the cone and I lose connection again. I'm guessing by the time I get to EVE all will be good (though I'm a little concerned about where Kerbin will be, may be blocked by the sun), which will be fine, I have nothing else to do with it till then.

92425B95103AAD380971F8B95C1217888BB538F2

Edited by Alshain

try learning how to use the mod as u not using it right.

I have a glitch with this mod that happens on occasion, where no matter what you try to transmit it just won't do anything. It won't transmit, and it won't say "no comm device" or whatever, and its when you have a stable connection. It usually goes away after a visit to the space center, or if quit/restart the game. I'm not sure that's what he's experiencing though.

Edited by callmewoof

So it won't automatically find a relay path back to Mission Control?

Edit: Apparently it does find a path automatically, because as I got further away I reconnected. I see what you mean by cone now, I was not aware of that functionality but as my big satellites orbit with Kerbins rotation, they come in and out of the cone and I lose connection again. I'm guessing by the time I get to EVE all will be good (though I'm a little concerned about where Kerbin will be, may be blocked by the sun), which will be fine, I have nothing else to do with it till then.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/39751186271262230/92425B95103AAD380971F8B95C1217888BB538F2/

You really

really

really

will want to read the RemoteTech Player's Guide.

For instance, it will tell you the reach of all the antennae, and for the dishes, it includes entries for "Cone covers Kerbin at" and "Cone covers keosynchronous orbit at."

This mod has a lot of capabilities and options, and that guide should help you understand them.

I have a glitch with this mod that happens on occasion, where no matter what you try to transmit it just won't do anything. It won't transmit, and it won't say "no comm device" or whatever, and its when you have a stable connection. It usually goes away after a visit to the space center, or if quit/restart the game. I'm not sure that's what he's experiencing though.

I just got something like this too, except it allowed me to transmit only for no data to be sent, so I have a probe that has all its science gear used up to no gain.:mad:

I just got something like this too, except it allowed me to transmit only for no data to be sent, so I have a probe that has all its science gear used up to no gain.:mad:

Do you also use 'ScienceAlert' ?

Do you also use 'ScienceAlert' ?

I have this error and I use it, yeah. Conflict perhaps? I do know the unsent data is valid since it still shows full science value if I keep/send it even if I reset and relog the experiment.

I have this error and I use it, yeah. Conflict perhaps? I do know the unsent data is valid since it still shows full science value if I keep/send it even if I reset and relog the experiment.

yep unfortunately :/ i'll look into it at this weekend

You really

really

really

will want to read the RemoteTech Player's Guide.

For instance, it will tell you the reach of all the antennae, and for the dishes, it includes entries for "Cone covers Kerbin at" and "Cone covers keosynchronous orbit at."

I'm having trouble figuring out certain aspects of this mod. I love it and want to get it to work but the help available is really confusing, especially if I use the referenced Player's Guide. For example:

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica Neue]Reflectron DP-10
[/FONT][/COLOR]My in-game range description "0.00m/1.20Mm"
The Player's Guide range: 500km
In that same item page it says: Any line of sight to KSC Mission Control, if below 150 km altitude

Ok... so... it has a range of 120km? 500km? But only 150km? Which is it? Another conflict of information:

Comms DTS-M1 - Range 50,000km
Reflectron KR-7 - Range 90,000km
Mentioned multiple times on several guide pages: KSC Mission Control - Range 75,000km

So is this legit? 75,000km for KSC? I could put a ring of Comms DTS-M1's at their maximum range, pointed at the planet, and another satellite on those same relays pointed to active vessel, and I'd be able to cover basically the entire kerbin system? I mean, i guess that's ok, but then how about this:

Tutorial for setting up a medium-altitude relay network says "[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica Neue]The requirement that the satellites be connected by Communotron 16’s forces the altitude of the satellites to be at least 250 km (below which the satellites are below each others’ horizons) and at most 1160 km (above which the satellites are out of range of each other)".[/FONT][/COLOR]

But wait! The parts page and the in-game description both give a number of 2500k. These are Omni, so why on earth would I need to be in a smaller range than 1160km of another omni? I should be able to practically go out to a ring of 24XXkm and relay through pure omni. And along those lines, I wouldn't need to give them satellites to point towards the Mun or Minmus, because remember it says that KSC has an omni of 75,000k. So I would just send a probe out to Minmus with a DTS-M1 (50,000km) pointed back at the planet (not counting rotation).

I understand that maybe I'm just not getting it, or maybe the player's guide or tutorials are out of date in some places, but this is all very confusing. So as much as I'd love to say that reading the guide solves everything, it doesn't. Can someone explain? I'm at my wits end trying to make sense of the everything. Thanks in advance! (Please understand the tone of this message is "Please help me I love this mod but I suck", not "Grr this mod has mistakes or is bad!")

For the love of god till me there is a way to add "activate antenna" to staging. I have launched this satellite 5 times now, and because I'm distracted on the other screen, I keep ....ing staging before activating the antenna!

Smart Parts will let you activate an action group either via staging (use the timer part) or at a specific altitude (use the altitude part). I use it to blow open my fairings and extend antennas/solar panels at the same time.

@callmewolf there are too many questions to address at once.

Have in mind that omni means any direction, but not through kerbins body

About the constellations, distance is limitEd by satellite to satellite distance, if you get it automatically KSC will be within range.

I'm having trouble figuring out certain aspects of this mod. I love it and want to get it to work but the help available is really confusing, especially if I use the referenced Player's Guide. For example:
Ok... so... it has a range of 120km? 500km? But only 150km? Which is it? Another conflict of information:

I'm not sure what you have going on there. I just loaded up KSP with the default settings file, and when I look at this part in the R&D Center or in the VAB it shows Range: 0.00m / 500km

I am not sure what the guide is saying for this part, though. I hadn't noticed that before, but I'd ignore it in this case.

So is this legit? 75,000km for KSC? I could put a ring of Comms DTS-M1's at their maximum range, pointed at the planet, and another satellite on those same relays pointed to active vessel, and I'd be able to cover basically the entire kerbin system?

I believe so. I prefer just 3 in equatorial keosynchronous orbit. Each has a DTS-M1 pointed at Kerbin, so two of them pick up KSC, but they get pretty good coverage of low orbit. I also have two dishes to reach both of the other comsats. Then I have additional dishes reaching out to the moons and further into the Kerbol system. Also, I personally prefer to avoid using "active vessel" targeting.

But wait! The parts page and the in-game description both give a number of 2500k. These are Omni, so why on earth would I need to be in a smaller range than 1160km of another omni? I should be able to practically go out to a ring of 24XXkm and relay through pure omni. And along those lines, I wouldn't need to give them satellites to point towards the Mun or Minmus, because remember it says that KSC has an omni of 75,000k. So I would just send a probe out to Minmus with a DTS-M1 (50,000km) pointed back at the planet (not counting rotation).

It's triangles! Two legs of the triangle are the distance between the center of Kerbin and each of the satellites (with a length of altitude + Kerbin's radius), while the third side is the distance between the satellites. This part of the tutorial is talking about the first two legs, not the third.

Yes, you can send up a single ship with a DTS-M1 and get control out to 50000km - at least when you don't have Kerbin or a moon between your ship and KSC. But just Kerbin's rotation alone means you lose signal for 3 hours at a time.

Does that all make sense?

Edited by Gryphon

I see 500km in game, are you sure you are looking at the right antenna?

So is this legit? 75,000km for KSC? I could put a ring of Comms DTS-M1's at their maximum range, pointed at the planet, and another satellite on those same relays pointed to active vessel, and I'd be able to cover basically the entire kerbin system? I mean, i guess that's ok, but then how about this:

Except behind the Mun or Minmus. Also, the dish antennas are more expensive, heavier, and consume more power so there are advantages to not doing this.

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica Neue]Reflectron DP-10
[/FONT][/COLOR]My in-game range description "0.00m/1.20Mm"
The Player's Guide range: 500km
In that same item page it says: Any line of sight to KSC Mission Control, if below 150 km altitude

Ok... so... it has a range of 120km? 500km? But only 150km? Which is it?

500km is the range of the DP-10 in stock RemoteTech. The "1.20 Mm" that you're seeing in-game works out to 1200km, so you may have installed another mod that increases the range. I'd look first at any rescaled-solar-system mods or "rebalance" mods.

The reference to "150km" in the Player's Guide isn't talking about the range of the antenna. What it's saying is that as long as your altitude is 150km or less, you'll lose line of sight to KSC over the horizon before you exceed the DP-10's 500km range. Some people have found that useful to know, although it could be better worded.

Hey guys, not sure where else to ask this so thought i'd just do it in this thread. Been playing with this great MOD for a while and one thing that gets a bit annoying is after any long time-warps, like those required for interplanetary trips, the satellites around kerbin all end up bunched up.

Now I've used VOID to set their orbital period within decimal points of each other but is there any other trick that I can use to keep the satellites in their right locations? Or is having to re-adjust the network just something I'll have to get used to?

Hey guys, not sure where else to ask this so thought i'd just do it in this thread. Been playing with this great MOD for a while and one thing that gets a bit annoying is after any long time-warps, like those required for interplanetary trips, the satellites around kerbin all end up bunched up.

Now I've used VOID to set their orbital period within decimal points of each other but is there any other trick that I can use to keep the satellites in their right locations? Or is having to re-adjust the network just something I'll have to get used to?

It's a little cheaty, but you can edit the persistent file. Once you have your network built, you can edit the file to set your altitude & sma, eccentricity etc, and it will stay exactly as long as you never select the ship. I do this with my geostationary comm sats, once they are in place, I don't have any reason to touch them again, so put them on rails and they never move.