[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

My probe going to the mun has two dishes on set for kerbin and one set for MIssion Control.

Yet before I get to the mun, I always lose connection. The Dishes all say they have Gm's of range.

Those dishes will also have very narrow cones of effect; in general, the longer the range, the narrower the cone. The one set for Mission Control doesn't always work because half the time Mission Control is on the other side of the planet. The ones set for Kerbin don't usually work because at close range - and the Mun is close for Gm-range dishes - the cone only covers a very narrow slice of the airspace and it's pure chance if a satellite happens to be in that slice.

Indeed since the stock dishes go up to 400Mm I guess you may have installed a mod with still more powerful dishes which may well have still narrower cones.

I figured it out eventually.

Dishes have to be pointing directly at other dishes.

I made the mistake of thinking that dishes would be able to pick omni directionals up at a further distance than omni directionals can pick each other up but a dish can only pick up an omni at the same distance as other omni's.

The cones may reach the mun but they are not wide enough to encompass it's SOI so something in a large orbit or on approach can easily be missed.

It all feels deliberately constrained. Making it harder doesn't always make it more fun or more interesting.

Still.. kept me amused for a couple of days. I networked Kebin and the Mun. Made it so I could send something with just the smallest omni and it would get picked up. Looked at Mimnus and it started looking like more chore than fun. I'm easily bored once I've figured things out.

Still, I'm not about to bad-mouth the mod. It does what it says it does and it does present a few challenges.

I think it's a keeper. Once KSP is more stable and I can play properly again, I'll make sure it's installed.

The cones may reach the mun but they are not wide enough to encompass it's SOI so something in a large orbit or on approach can easily be missed.

It all feels deliberately constrained. Making it harder doesn't always make it more fun or more interesting.

Still.. kept me amused for a couple of days.

if you use the comms dts m1 you can target the mun directly without problems of cone angles being too narrow

I made the mistake of thinking that dishes would be able to pick omni directionals up at a further distance than omni directionals can pick each other up but a dish can only pick up an omni at the same distance as other omni's.

This is true with the Standard range model. It sounds like you want the Root range model, which lets you reach out further to a weak antenna when you're connecting to a stronger antenna.

You will have to edit the settings file. See the entries for RangeModelType and RangeMultiplier, and if you choose the suggested RangeMultiplier=0.5, then you'll also want to look at the table at the bottom of the page.

Quick and (I assume simple) question - I understand that Signal Delays are a thing if you're trying to do live commands. But why does it affect planned manoeuvres?

Example: Planning a manoeuvre to complete a stable orbit Apoapsis - which will be outside of the range of KSC at the start of the game. Sometimes when I try to tell it to perform manoeuvre like this it throws a "delay too high" error.

How do I get around this? Including a Flight Computer on the probe rocket didn't seem to help. :confused:

Example: Planning a manoeuvre to complete a stable orbit Apoapsis - which will be outside of the range of KSC at the start of the game. Sometimes when I try to tell it to perform manoeuvre like this it throws a "delay too high" error.

How do I get around this?

Fast. You need at least half-burn + signal delay time to the node for it to execute (KER includes some views that tell you the half-burn time). You either have to plan your launches to have LoS at AP (possibly suboptimal burns, but thems the breaks), or bask in the glory that is KOS. EDIT: or have good enough reflexes to plan the node between the ascent burn and loss of LoS.

I wish there were a way to hide just my communications satellites (mostly for the sake of finding other missions in the tracking station; they look awesome, of course). Is there a better solution than calling them "rovers" or "debris" something like that?

Edited by kingoftheinternet

Hmm, I'm not sure that belongs in stock. I mean, it's one of those challenges that you have to accept. I feel like it should stay a mod.

To be fair people said the same about a heating system and various other features that are now stock.

I think it'll be fine, but not having a flight computer is bad design choice and likely will cause a lot of frustration. The other issue is what is the incentive for using probes now? Without a life support mod it will be cheaper and easier to send a kerbal.

I'm sorry, I have nothing personal against RoverDude, he seems like a nice guy, but I really wish he wasn't working with Squad because everything he has added to stock is pretty awful.

Well now... that sounded pretty personal :P

I'm sorry, I have nothing personal against RoverDude, he seems like a nice guy, but I really wish he wasn't working with Squad because everything he has added to stock is pretty awful.

Could you repeat louder, because I can't hear your overly authoritative remarks over the sound of me having fun with things RD added to stock.

Nope, not part of Antenna range either...

Hmm still think one or better both teams deserve credits now as this gets stock.

Reinvention of the wheel does not count ;)

The people that said that were right. Deadly Reentry and Kethane are still way better than the crap we have in stock, and this is being done by the same guy that did the ISRU. I'm sorry, I have nothing personal against RoverDude, he seems like a nice guy, but I really wish he wasn't working with Squad because everything he has added to stock is pretty awful.

Can't really agree with that. ISRU in stock doesn't have a lot of breadth, but it works well as a light ISRU system and is easily extensible by other mods (See MKS/OKS). It is more like a nifty framework which is how Squad should introduce stuff IMHO.

I actually like the heat system. DR is cool and all but I'm liking the simpler stock system. I do however wish that I didn't need a mod to see the temperature of the parts.

Lastly I'm really enjoying the stock Aero as well. FAR was a bit too much for me.

Can't really agree with that. ISRU in stock doesn't have a lot of breadth, but it works well as a light ISRU system and is easily extensible by other mods (See MKS/OKS). It is more like a nifty framework which is how Squad should introduce stuff IMHO.

Also note how both nuDR/nuFAR (I'm sorry but that's how I'm naming these now) seem to be leveraging new stock mechanisms.

Personally, I don't mind if something gets added to stock as long as the ability to mod that something remains. Depending on how Roverdude implements his design, it may provide a basis for enhancements to what the RT devs have already created (i.e., RT gets even better), or it may just be a moot point for those of us that prefer RT after seeing what the stock implementation looks like.

Put another way, I personally use Procedural Fairings. I don't mind that Squad added a version of them to stock, but I continue to prefer the PF mod. Or, for another example, if USI Life Support (by Roverdude) were made part of stock, I think that would generally be a Good Thing, but I would personally continue to use TAC LS, as I prefer the more complex implementation and challenge provided by that mod to the more simplistic design Roverdude created.

Reading the dev notes, it does sound like Squad and Roverdude are creating an RT Lite (haven't played it--just reading the notes) with some unique twists (pilot on-board a vessel can control a unmanned remote rover). Based on just my reading of the blog post, I imagine I will continue to use RT and not the stock system. So, as long as Squad doesn't make it impossible for the system to be modded (and I have to say, it is impressive how mod-friendly KSP seems to be!), I don't think this announcement may mean much for RT users.

And whether Squad credits the RT and Antenna Range devs or not, I personally am grateful for their continued development efforts. I refuse to launch a single unmanned mission without RT. Thank you, devs. :)

Must admit I'm a little offended on your behalf here guys.

Squad decide to Stock a version of the very thing you've been doing admirably for years and don't even deign to give a brief nod in your direction?

It seems bizarre to me that at some point in Squad the following conversion must have been had.

- "So Remote tech is cool, how about we integrate a dumbed down version it into stock?"

- "Shall we ask the chaps at RT if they want to be involved?"

- "Nah, lets talk to the guy that made Karbonite"

In fact its so bizarre I can't credit it, I'm guessing they asked you and you said no, further guessing you're not allowed to talk about it.

Well, you get credit in my head at least chaps.

It seems bizarre to me that at some point in Squad the following conversion must have been had.

- "So Remote tech is cool, how about we integrate a dumbed down version it into stock?"

- "Shall we ask the chaps at RT if they want to be involved?"

- "Nah, lets talk to the guy that made Karbonite"

In fact its so bizarre I can't credit it, I'm guessing they asked you and you said no, further guessing you're not allowed to talk about it.

Do we know for sure that they didn't approach any of the RT devs?

Anyways, I bet the conversation was more like: "Should we hire a group of random people we don't know off the internet (who may or may not be available, willing to work with Squad for what they want to pay, be able to deliver on time, be legal to work for Squad, etc), or just task a guy we already have on contract and has already contributed to stock?"

Isn't this the RT topic? Why isn't this discussion being held in the blog post about the stock feature?

Anyway, is RT planning on replacing this stock mechanic, or using it as a base? I love this mod, it's one of the first mods I used. However, I'm a big fan of not needing a mod when stock takes care of functionality (you guys will always have my credit, still. Cilph and Nathankell are the names I remember, but the whole team deserves many thanks), and I like some mechanics simplier than others. I liked the idea of ISRU, but only actually used it on the stock iteration (the "dumbed down version", as some negatively put it).

Because of that, I'm still undecided whether I like the idea of the new stock feature or not.

Can we have some words on what the RT team is planning to do with this? Did you get caught completely by surprise and are still wondering about it?

Best case the stock additions let the RT team do more and/or frees them from some aspects of unity engine wrangling

Worst case scenario, RT still gets a bunch of new antenna models to adjust to their own taste

I do hope there is constructive dialogue between the Remote Technologies Group and RoverDude regarding the feature though