[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Thank you, and yes I have tried turning them on

- - - Updated - - -

thank you , I will give it a try.

- - - Updated - - -

Sooooo obv. I'm not the brightest crayon in the box when it comes to KSP and RT LOL that worked stupendously. problem resolved. thank you thank you thank you

Alright, this might sound really stupid, but: why are the antennas so big? New Horizons runs with a 2.4 meter dish. The Voyagers - 3.7 m.

Yes, I know I can reconfigure the settings, and I plan to do so, but before that I'd like to hear your opinion. And I wouldn't be surprised if it were merely for the sake of balancing.

The KR-14 is about 2.5m and the ComTech 1 is about 3.7m. I'm not sure what dishes you're using but, that is consistent with your New Horizons and Voyager examples. Compare them to the fairing bases. The GX-128 is definitely a whopper, but it isn't needed really since the ComTech 1 goes far enough for the whole system.

7364A00DE31343FC7C9F0E45315B8B2A4CF93BCB

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Sooooo obv. I'm not the brightest crayon in the box when it comes to KSP and RT LOL that worked stupendously. problem resolved. thank you thank you thank you

You're welcome. We all started somewhere. Make sure you read through the player guide.

Edited by Alshain

- - - Updated - - -

And once you are feeling confident about your understanding of RemoteTech, take a look at the RangeModelType setting; I strongly suggest the use of the Root range model for a little more realism.

Hey guys, sorry for the hassle but I'm having some trouble with getting a connection and I'm not sure why.

Right now I have 4 satellites in a high orbit above Kerbin connected (through some satellites in a lower orbits) to the Command Centre, these 4 satellites each have a Reflectron KR-14 aimed towards a probe near Duna with a KR-14 as well.

The Duna probe's KR-14 is aimed towards Kerbin, and each of the satellites orbiting Kerbin have their KR-14's set to Active Vessel.

I thought this'd give a decent connection but... it didn't. So far I've tried setting the satellites KR-14's to target Duna (where it says that the beam covers 0 targets) and I set them to target the probe itself (says it's well within range and that the status is OK) but no dice.

Here's an album which shows my network, excuse the mess, during the long trip to Duna some of the satellites went out of sync:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Any ideas on what I've done wrong?

Hello!

Is there a way to predict if a certain point in my orbit has LOS to at least one satellite that connects to KSC (And account for time passed going to that point in my orbit)? If not consider it as a suggestion, it sounds quite easy to put in. Maybe just place an invisible craft at the point where the user wants to see if it has LOS to KSC and check if it has LOS to a satellite or KSC. This would be really useful, no more annoying failures caused by maneuver nodes not being in LOS.

I'm sending a probe to go and orbit Duna and i have a Mid Course Correction that i have to really make. Though needs some reasonable degree of precision and i don't want the flight computer messing it up. Please, this is my first Duna bound mission (I have been playing KSP 0.17 and i still haven't done interplanetary travel. I'm that pathetic, this is my chance.)

Is there a way to predict if a certain point in my orbit has LOS to at least one satellite that connects to KSC

Yes, you can do this with http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/36476-WIN-KSP-Trajectory-Optimization-Tool-v0-12-2-Mission-Architect-Update!

I can provide details later once I'm home if you can't figure it out, it can appear complicated at first glance

Hey guys, sorry for the hassle but I'm having some trouble with getting a connection and I'm not sure why.

Right now I have 4 satellites in a high orbit above Kerbin connected (through some satellites in a lower orbits) to the Command Centre, these 4 satellites each have a Reflectron KR-14 aimed towards a probe near Duna with a KR-14 as well.

The Duna probe's KR-14 is aimed towards Kerbin, and each of the satellites orbiting Kerbin have their KR-14's set to Active Vessel.

I thought this'd give a decent connection but... it didn't. So far I've tried setting the satellites KR-14's to target Duna (where it says that the beam covers 0 targets) and I set them to target the probe itself (says it's well within range and that the status is OK) but no dice.

Here's an album which shows my network, excuse the mess, during the long trip to Duna some of the satellites went out of sync:

http://imgur.com/a/q6VYD

Any ideas on what I've done wrong?

The KR-14 is a bit on the large side for Duna. The larger the dish, the narrower the cone, so you have to be further away to encompass all of your satellite's orbit. What I suspect is happening is the probe's cone does not cover the satellites orbit around Kerbin completely. Ideally for Duna you would use an 88-88, it has less range but a larger cone so you can be closer to Kerbin with it and still cover the satellites. All is not lost though, aim directly at a satellite and the cone will have to cover it, but you lose communications when that satellite goes behind the planet. If you can't communicate at all right now, try to wait for your satellites to orbit into the path of the cone and you should get it back.

I can't really tell for sure. I see several cones coming back in the shots of Kerbin and some are narrower than others. The screenshots are just very crowded I'm afraid (and not well labeled or captioned).

The player guide has recommendations for which dishes to use where. Inevitably, your Kerbin Deep Space Network will likely look something like this. The #1 thing to remember about dishes is that bigger does not mean better, i.e. you can't just use the largest dish to cover everything.

Here is a very crude drawing of what I mean (yay MS Paint).

yhoXCEE.png

pjvlwiO.png

Edited by Alshain

The KR-14 is a bit on the large side for Duna. The larger the dish, the narrower the cone, so you have to be further away to encompass all of your satellite's orbit. What I suspect is happening is the probe's cone does not cover the satellites orbit around Kerbin completely. Ideally for Duna you would use an 88-88, it has less range but a larger cone so you can be closer to Kerbin with it and still cover the satellites. All is not lost though, aim directly at a satellite and the cone will have to cover it, but you lose communications when that satellite goes behind the planet. If you can't communicate at all right now, try to wait for your satellites to orbit into the path of the cone and you should get it back.

I can't really tell for sure. I see several cones coming back in the shots of Kerbin and some are narrower than others. The screenshots are just very crowded I'm afraid (and not well labeled or captioned).

The player guide has recommendations for which dishes to use where. Inevitably, your Kerbin Deep Space Network will likely look something like this. The #1 thing to remember about dishes is that bigger does not mean better, i.e. you can't just use the largest dish to cover everything.

Here is a very crude drawing of what I mean (yay MS Paint).

http://i.imgur.com/yhoXCEE.png

http://i.imgur.com/pjvlwiO.png

Ah okay, that might be it. Thanks for the help, I'll quickly revert to an older save and try changing the dish on my probe to an 88-88.

Didn't really give much thought to the cone size before xD

I just started using remotetech, it's pretty fun and straightforward, but there's something I was wondering about... does remotetech account for solar interference? The obvious place for a comsat is KSO, and since Kerbin has an inclination of 0, that means every satellite in KSO should transit the sun every single day. Even inclined orbits will transit the sun twice a year. Does remotetech have solar outages?

I just started using remotetech, it's pretty fun and straightforward, but there's something I was wondering about... does remotetech account for solar interference? The obvious place for a comsat is KSO, and since Kerbin has an inclination of 0, that means every satellite in KSO should transit the sun every single day. Even inclined orbits will transit the sun twice a year. Does remotetech have solar outages?

I don't think so. But I'm also not for implementing the idea now - there are even more basic scenario that is broken (not the mod's problem - battery not tracked for inactive vessel, so technically you don't need to account for night time battery, just leave a satellite with positive charge and it will work forever), so implementing this one doesn't give too much benefit.

Not entirely sure what you mean. The sun occludes transmission the same as any planet. There is no solar flare signal degradation or anything like that. Signals can fly through the corona or the atmosphere of a planet just as clear as space too.

However, simply transiting the sun may not occlude from your target. The only way signal would be blocked by the sun is if your target was on the other side of the sun from Kerbin.

Edited by Alshain

However, simply transiting the sun may not occlude from your target. The only way signal would be blocked by the sun is if your target was on the other side of the sun from Kerbin.

I believe Kermen's point is that when a satellite is transiting the sun, you have to literally stare directly into the sun to receive the signal on Kerbin. Even if that doesn't outright fry your radio antenna, it seems pretty implausible that you could dig the signal out of that background.

I believe Kermen's point is that when a satellite is transiting the sun, you have to literally stare directly into the sun to receive the signal on Kerbin. Even if that doesn't outright fry your radio antenna, it seems pretty implausible that you could dig the signal out of that background.

No, it doesn't simulate solar radiation. Given that there is no axial tilt in the game, I don't think it should. It would just irritate people.

Edited by Alshain

No, it doesn't simulate solar radiation. Given that there is no axial tilt in the game, I don't think it should. It would just irritate people.

Well it doesn't have to be simulating radiation. Just as simple as how KSP currently deal with eclipses. Shouldn't irritate people as it should only occur for a small period of time. However, as I said above, some more basic relevant scenarios (your axial tilt example isn't related IMO) are broken so that we probably aren't at the point of caring about this one.

Well it doesn't have to be simulating radiation. Just as simple as how KSP currently deal with eclipses. Shouldn't irritate people as it should only occur for a small period of time. However, as I said above, some more basic relevant scenarios (your axial tilt example isn't related IMO) are broken so that we probably aren't at the point of caring about this one.

1. What you are suggesting is simulating solar radiation. Solar radiation is what causes sun fade. So if you simulate sun fade, you are simulating solar radiation's effects.

2. Axial tilt is most definitely related. A Geosync satellite would not transit the sun near as often as a Keosync satellite because Earth's equator isn't on the same plane as it's orbit around the sun, while Kerbin's is (that is if planet size/gravity/sync orbit was not a factor). A sat in Keosync orbit would have sun fade every day of the year, as mentioned. A sat in Geosync orbit would have sun fade every day during two small windows of the year, the rest of the year, none at all.

Edited by Alshain

So, I'd like to use Squad's new Asteroid Day antenna with RT. I was thinking of setting its stats to about in-between RTGigaDish1 and RTGigaDish2,does that seem right? Other suggestions? Has it been done already?:)

Edited by Artfact

1. What you are suggesting is simulating solar radiation. Solar radiation is what causes sun fade. So if you simulate sun fade, you are simulating solar radiation's effects.

2. Axial tilt is most definitely related. A Geosync satellite would not transit the sun near as often as a Keosync satellite because Earth's equator isn't on the same plane as it's orbit around the sun, while Kerbin's is (that is if planet size/gravity/sync orbit was not a factor). A sat in Keosync orbit would have sun fade every day of the year, as mentioned. A sat in Geosync orbit would have sun fade every day during two small windows of the year, the rest of the year, none at all.

You don't need to actually simulate solar radiation to achieve sun fade feature. You think KSP simulates eclipses? Do a quick calculation of how much area Mun blocks Sun viewing from Kerbin and then that number can cause energy flow to zero during the eclipse? I wouldn't call that simulation. It's just a small feature, without simulating. And I have no objection of doing the same thing for this idea as well.

And agree that axial tilt is in fact related - I wasn't paying too much attention that we're all dealing with equatorial orbits. However, the Keosync problem is easily solvable by placing the satellite not vertically above KSC, but leave some angles, in which case whenever you have one satellite faded, there's always another working.

At this point, I start to appreciate this idea. Simple but lets me think for a while and a little more design consideration - exact good experience that RT has been bringing me. And it's not stock anyway - I'll be happy if we have this feature.

Edited by FancyMouse

You don't need to actually simulate solar radiation to achieve sun fade feature. You think KSP simulates eclipses? Do a quick calculation of how much area Mun blocks Sun viewing from Kerbin and then that number can cause energy flow to zero during the eclipse? I wouldn't call that simulation. It's just a small feature, without simulating. And I have no objection of doing the same thing for this idea as well.

You aren't getting the point. It's synonymous. It's entirely the same thing. If you simulate sun fade, you are simulating effects of solar radiation and visa versa. You are getting hung up on semantics.

And the Keosync problem is easily solvable by placing the satellite not vertically above KSC, but leave some angles, in which case whenever you have one satellite faded, there's always another working.

So basically no more 3 satellite networks. What is the point, to get you to launch another satellite? You can do that anyway. I'm sorry I just don't see the benefit of adding this.

Edited by Alshain

You aren't getting the point. It's synonymous. It's entirely the same thing. If you simulate sun fade, you are simulating effects of solar radiation and visa versa. You are getting hung up on semantics.

It would be simulation of sun fade, not simulation of sun radiation. They don't have to come together, and the latter does indeed imply the former but not necessarily the other way around - fine I agree I'm nitpicking, but that's how I think.

So basically no more 3 satellite networks. What is the point, to get you to launch another satellite? You can do that anyway. I'm sorry I just don't see the benefit of adding this.

Why? I thought keeping (the tangent plane of) KSC parallel to one edge of the equilateral triangle should make 3-satellite network still work, no?

EDIT: realized - personally my decision was always 4 so I didn't quite remember why I didn't choose 3. Radius of Kerbin does make this setup impossible.

EDITEDIT: bad at math at night - it is actually possible. Ignore all what I edited.

Edited by FancyMouse

I don't think this will affect the game as much as you think. Worst case scenarion your KSO will have some degree of inclination to keep it off the sun the majority of the time.

That said, I don't feel this feature would improve RT to be honest, if it was to be added I'd like there was an option to turn it off. like there is an option currently to turn off signal delay

Why? I thought keeping (the tangent plane of) KSC parallel to one edge of the equilateral triangle should make 3-satellite network still work, no?

Yeah, that would work if all your networks were synchronous, but only if all your networks were synchronous.

I don't think this will affect the game as much as you think. Worst case scenarion your KSO will have some degree of inclination to keep it off the sun the majority of the time.

That said, I don't feel this feature would improve RT to be honest, if it was to be added I'd like there was an option to turn it off. like there is an option currently to turn off signal delay

Totally agree. Initially I said I don't care too much about it exactly because I don't think it affects too much.

Yeah, that would work if all your networks were synchronous, but only if all your networks were synchronous.

It will work as long as it's a network. If it doesn't work, then it means the connection between two satellites of the network will be already blocked by Kerbin. The higher you are, the more tolerant about the angle. In extreme case where altitude = radius, you'll have to keep the parallel setup, but then your connection between satellites is touching surface anyway.

I guess my point is, when you get high enough, it will be no worse than the situation with axial tilt - you only suffer it from a certain setup of satellites and it happens rarely among periods. And in particular a good Keosync network can avoid the problem at all.

Edited by FancyMouse

It will work as long as it's a network. If it doesn't work, then it means the connection between two satellites of the network will be already blocked by Kerbin. The higher you are, the more tolerant about the angle. In extreme case where altitude = radius, you'll have to keep the parallel setup, but then your connection between satellites is touching surface anyway.

No, if it is not a synchronous orbit, they have the chance of orbiting around so that two of them are behind the planet while the other is in sun fade. I don't put all of my networks in synchronous orbit, especially early career. Like I said, I don't think this adds benefit to the system and in fact would just be an irritation. But if it could be disabled I wouldn't care.