[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

What do I need to make a craft become the controler?

I want to do this mission

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Piloted_Orbital_Station

Old remote tech had a part you'd attach to make this happen. I've noticed my kerbin stations with antennas aren't used as the base for all my other probes, so figured it won't work around another planet either.

4 hours ago, SirusKing said:

Is there a way to set a command on the flight computer to close, do something, then re-activate a comms dish? You can only deactivate them while they are active.

Tedious but you can send the commands using different delays. For example when I'm about to aerocapture, I toggle the antenna (using action group) with ~5 minutes delay, and then toggle it now which shuts down the antenna. Then it will extend again 5 minutes later which is presumably after leaving the atmosphere.

Hi, all.

Does anyone know whether RemoteTech will work with Laythe Space Program? I'm using both and I am unable to get a connection. On the other hand, this is the first time I've ever tried RT, so I can't tell if I'm using it wrong (very likely) or if it's tied to Kerbin's SoI, rather than to the location of the KSC.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

2 hours ago, Perry Apsis said:

Hi, all.

Does anyone know whether RemoteTech will work with Laythe Space Program? I'm using both and I am unable to get a connection. On the other hand, this is the first time I've ever tried RT, so I can't tell if I'm using it wrong (very likely) or if it's tied to Kerbin's SoI, rather than to the location of the KSC.

I've been interested in these alternate starting locations so decided to test this myself as well.

And you're right. RT doesn't work with Laythe Space Program out of the box. Or rather it does work but the Ground Station is still on Kerbin (or Bin in this case) so making connection might be somewhat challenging.

The fix would be to move ground station to Laythe. Ground stations are defined in RemoteTech_Settings.cfg but figuring out the right parameters is beyond me.

2 hours ago, Perry Apsis said:

Hi, all.

28 minutes ago, Varsi said:

I've been interested in these alternate starting locations so decided to test this myself as well.

And you're right. RT doesn't work with Laythe Space Program out of the box. Or rather it does work but the Ground Station is still on Kerbin (or Bin in this case) so making connection might be somewhat challenging.

The fix would be to move ground station to Laythe. Ground stations are defined in RemoteTech_Settings.cfg but figuring out the right parameters is beyond me.

Ok... It wasn't actually that hard. Here are the values I changed in RemoteTech_Settings.cfg.

Latitude = -0.008611111111111111
Longitude = -166.9688888888889
Height = 450
Body = 16

I got slightly confused by the body id not being 9. The correct way to do this would be to create MM patch so these changes would stay even if you update Remote Tech but what are the chances of that happening since It's not even fixed for 1.0.5 yet? ;)

18 hours ago, FancyMouse said:

Tedious but you can send the commands using different delays. For example when I'm about to aerocapture, I toggle the antenna (using action group) with ~5 minutes delay, and then toggle it now which shuts down the antenna. Then it will extend again 5 minutes later which is presumably after leaving the atmosphere.

The problem is, the Dishes don't have toggles, they have "activate" and "deactivate", and I can't set a command to activate it later without deactivating and losing signal + flight computer control.

1 hour ago, SirusKing said:

The problem is, the Dishes don't have toggles, they have "activate" and "deactivate", and I can't set a command to activate it later without deactivating and losing signal + flight computer control.

Two options:

1. Have two antennas, keep one active and set command for the second one, then shutdown the first one to execute the commands.

2. Use Action Group Extended mod to edit action group on the fly (which allows you to command "activate" even it's already activated).

I'm so used to option 2 that I didn't even remember whether dishes have toggle or not (because it wouldn't matter)

10 hours ago, Varsi said:

Ok... It wasn't actually that hard. Here are the values I changed in RemoteTech_Settings.cfg.

Latitude = -0.008611111111111111
Longitude = -166.9688888888889
Height = 450
Body = 16

I got slightly confused by the body id not being 9. The correct way to do this would be to create MM patch so these changes would stay even if you update Remote Tech but what are the chances of that happening since It's not even fixed for 1.0.5 yet? ;)

Varsi, that's terrific. Thanks so much for working that out.

Does v1.6.9 work with 1.0.4? I want to fix issues with kOS that are fixed in 1.6.9, but when I try to install 1.6.9 it acts like RemoteTech isn't installed. I'm also playing with other mods, including RSS/RO, if that helps.

Thanks!

Edit: tested on a clean install with only RemoteTech, still doesn't work

Edited by zfurman

Hi, all. I wonder if someone could help me understand what I am missing. I had an unmanned ship that worked fine when it was in direct contact with the KSC, but became uncontrollable when it was connected through a chain of communication satellites.

FsQ9pSJ.png

"Double Rescue" has a reflectron DP10, and is within 500km of the comm sat prograde from it. The comm sat has a  KR-7 pointed back at the Double Rescue. As soon as the ship lost direct contact with the KSC, I lost control of the ship. Granted, the connection is going the long way around the planet, but it sure seems to be connected. I'm new to RT, so I'm guessing I'm missing something simple. 

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Is there a way to switch on and off the delay function (for example, when I want to perform a landing on a distant planet) while in the game? Rather then going to the config file, changing the numbers and restarting the game?

thanks!

Hey guys, I have a problem, maybe someone can help me here.

Look 

zt3PqV0.png

I wanted to connect them using communotrons, that's why there are so many of them but that's not the point.

All of those satelites have comms dts-m1 targeted at Kerbin as you see they are connecting from opposite side of orbit, the problem is that my space station is not getting any signal/or I don't know how to set up dishes, I know that I can target specific satellite to get connection but sattelites visibility will change so It won't always get connection, how can I set it up to target "opposite" of Kerbin without targeting specific sattelite?

@Dant3s I don't think such an option is available in remote tech. You can only target specific objects, like the earth, satalites etc. And the antenna will connect to everything that is both in range and within its beam and its line of sight. It's not possible to set up something that switches between various targets, depending on whats in line of sight.

However, I suggest putting an omni antenna on your station. It will connect to everything thats in range and LoS automaticly, and for kerbin orbits, the omni antenna's have enough range to connect to satalites.

Right clicking an antenna shows you the range. You can check how much range you by being in control of your space station and setting one of your sats as target. It will be able to tell you the distance towards your target, and hence you can figure out what omni antenna you will need.

Also, check here: https://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/guide/settings/ for more info on antenna ranges, depending on your settings.

Good luck!

@Dant3s if you have MultipleAntennaMultiplier set to 1.0 in settings, multiple omni antenna's will count as 1 bigger antenna. For example, if you need 1Gm range, but your biggets omni antenna only has 500Mm (0.5Gm), you can take 2 antenna, and it will function as one, getting you the 1Gm range you need.

1 hour ago, Dant3s said:

So, I could add 10 of omni antennas and it will have 10x bigger range?

yep, if Multiple antenna multiplier is set to 1.

With 2 of the smallest omni antenna's I can reach the entire Earth-Moon system. But I play realism overhaul, not stock, so I don't really know what the ranges are in the Kerbin-Mun system :).

Edited by CitizenVeen

One thing I am really missing on RemoteTech and I would suspect add for interesting gameplay:

If you have a manned ship in range of one of your drones, while out of range from the KSC, the drone is still impossible to control. You would expect it to be controllable from the manned ship if both vessels have an active antenna, with the comms delay being no longer than the delay between these two ships.

Imagine a manned mission to Duna with an unmanned rover which is controlled from the manned station in orbit. You would have less difficulty landing the rover since the delay time is a lot shorter from Duna orbit than it is from KSC, with Jeb piloting the rover from orbit.

The same would hold for transmitting science from any science-gathering vessel to a nearby lab in orbit.

This would add for some interesting gameplay and an extra reason to add manned ships to accompany unmanned ones, or for rescue missions to pick up derelict vessels which are out of communication range. You can send a manned mission to revive a rover which does not have enough range to reach the KSC, or send a manned crew to conduct complicated maneuvers which would be virtually unpilotable from the KSC because of signal delay. For example, flying aircraft.

51 minutes ago, Stoney3K said:

One thing I am really missing on RemoteTech and I would suspect add for interesting gameplay:

If you have a manned ship in range of one of your drones, while out of range from the KSC, the drone is still impossible to control. You would expect it to be controllable from the manned ship if both vessels have an active antenna, with the comms delay being no longer than the delay between these two ships.

Imagine a manned mission to Duna with an unmanned rover which is controlled from the manned station in orbit. You would have less difficulty landing the rover since the delay time is a lot shorter from Duna orbit than it is from KSC, with Jeb piloting the rover from orbit.

The same would hold for transmitting science from any science-gathering vessel to a nearby lab in orbit.

This would add for some interesting gameplay and an extra reason to add manned ships to accompany unmanned ones, or for rescue missions to pick up derelict vessels which are out of communication range. You can send a manned mission to revive a rover which does not have enough range to reach the KSC, or send a manned crew to conduct complicated maneuvers which would be virtually unpilotable from the KSC because of signal delay. For example, flying aircraft.

Yes this is really needed, but may actually already be a feature I just dont know how to use. 

3 hours ago, Stoney3K said:

2 hours ago, eberkain said:

Yes this is really needed, but may actually already be a feature I just dont know how to use. 

Actually, YES, it IS already implemented in the mod... You need to place the large RC-L01 (I think thats the name), remote probe core on your manned vessel... Then it requires at LEAST 6 crew members on the manned vessel...(I'm not sure if they all have to Engineers, Pilots, etc, or not...)

Basically, this gives you a "mobile" KSC...

See: https://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/#command-stations

and : https://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/guide/parts/#probe-cores

Edited by Stone Blue

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

Actually, YES, it IS already implemented in the mod... You need to place the large RC-L01 (I think thats the name), remote probe core on your manned vessel... Then it requires at LEAST 6 crew members on the manned vessel...(I'm not sure if they all have to Engineers, Pilots, etc, or not...)

Basically, this gives you a "mobile" KSC...

See: https://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/#command-stations

and : https://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/guide/parts/#probe-cores

As always you are awesomely helpful.