[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

how do you guys deal with signal delay when trying to land a probe?

You need to use the Nav Computer (it is that little calculator in the top left by the time accelerator). Even with that though, it is hard as all get out. (Especially on non-atmospheric bodies. I've not managed to pull it off yet)

MechJeb. MechJeb & smart parts are essential to RT2 in my book.

And this ^, this 100%

A basic question but what orbit period are y'all using for your geosynchronous sats since .24? I've tried 5h 59m 01s and 5 h 59m 09.4s which are the two values I've read about previously. Neither of them hold my satellites in a GSO though so clearly I have the wrong value.

I'm still using a 6 hour orbital period and so far it seems to be working, though I'll admit I haven't tested it by fast forwarding for years, but i did have a flight returning from minmus (about 14days) and they still seem to be pretty close to where they were when i put the comm sats in geo originally.

As long as you have three or four satellites around Kerban that can see each other and at least one can reach KSC at all times, it does not matter at which height or period they are orbiting, as long as their period is the same.

Hi. I noticed that RemoteTech2 did not take into account probes from other mods. The probes are patched in RemoteTech_Squad_Probes.cfg which contains the same patch copy-pasted for each of the squad probes. I have written a short patch to add RemoteTech2 capability for any new probe (initially intended for CactEye's Smobodobodyne SLIM probe):

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]:HAS[#minimumCrew[0]],!MODULE[ModuleSPU]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleSPU
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleRTAntennaPassive
TechRequired = unmannedTech
OmniRange = 3000

TRANSMITTER
{
PacketInterval = 0.3
PacketSize = 2
PacketResourceCost = 15.0
}
}
}

If RemoteTech2 was to use the previous snippet, the selector would actually only need:

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]:HAS[#minimumCrew[0]]]

Basically, it simply selects parts whose command module does not require any crew, hence probes. Anyone is free to use, modify and redistribute the previous code as they see fit (just in case).

Note: there is one difference for the large stock probe (probeStackLarge) that has "IsRTCommandStation = true"; I guess you need this probe in particular to set up a command control with your six crews; so that should still be added somewhere

Note: there is a file for Mechjeb (RemoteTech_MechJeb.cfg) with the following code:

@PART[mumech_MJ2_AR202]
{
title = MechJeb 2 (AR202 case) (ModuleSPU)

MODULE
{
name = ModuleSPU
}
}

This means that this part does not have an included antenna. If this is intended, there should be a special case for this part. Otherwise, this is covered by the previous code.

Hi, two questions?

1)How about landing a probe on Moho?

2)Is there still this thing where 6+ Kerbals form a command center? If yes, can somebody give me a link or explain it to me? do they need to be in a command pod?

Hi, two questions?

1)How about landing a probe on Moho?

2)Is there still this thing where 6+ Kerbals form a command center? If yes, can somebody give me a link or explain it to me? do they need to be in a command pod?

1) Once communication delay gets beyond a couple of seconds, any powered landing is going to have to be automated. If you can do it on Ike, you can do it on Moho. With precisely timed flight computer commands and RoverDude's airbags, you might be able to pull it off without kOS, but kOS is the best-supported way to do a local autopilot.

2) Yes, a ship with a crew of at least six (across all parts that hold crew) can act as a command center as long as the ship also has a probe core with "IsRTCommandStation = true" set. In stock RT2, that's the 2.5m stack probe core (called the RC-L01?).

Anyone know how to fix the issue with having pink squares on the map where the view buttons should be?

That was a bad install or missing file.

Edit- you have just 1 ModuleManager *.*.* in KSP/GameData/ and is your RT2 folder name ( RemoteTech2 ) in there ?

Edited by Mecripp2

Anyone know how to fix the issue with having pink squares on the map where the view buttons should be?

Sounds like missing or inaccessible image files. Make sure that all of the contents of GameData/RemoteTech2/Textures are present and at that exact path, and that any texture manager you're using (e.g. ATM, TextureReplacer) is keeping anything that looks like a button readable.

Isn't MechJeb subjected to signal delay as well? Has this changed since I last looked?

No, at least it wasn't in 23.5's RT2. It's treated as a Kerbal, but you DO have to have a signal and plan your approach accordingly. That being said, you can pull off some pretty complicated things with KM's altitude triggers & timers from SmartParts, but only with an atmosphere.

Since RemoteTech was the primary reason a lot of us set up complex communication networks in the first place, it actually makes a lot of sense to wonder if this mod could also be extended to mapping. ISA maps and Scan sat never really satisfied me and Majjir, creator of Kethane mod thought at some point about making his own before ScanSat came out. His grid display has a sleek esthetic and would give useful info (biomes, and anomalies) displayed directly on planet for easier landing and exploration. Since RemoteTech shows communications cones, it could do the same for mapping and dev already knows how to display things in map view so half the work is done.

Anyone knows how to retain the antenna and dish animations of remote tech without the actual remote tech plugin functionality?

I saw Mr. Scott Manley unfolding the big remote tech dish in the Interstellar Quest video of exploring Jool and I am sure he wasn't using the actual communications part of the mod.

Where is the option to disable the signal delay ?

Is it compatible with Real Solar System (like, Earth to Pluto) ?

Find RemoteTech_Settings.cfg in your remoteTech folder. Open it with notepad++ or similar program (I suggest avoiding standard notepad).

Find "EnableSignalDelay = True" on 6th line and change to false.

The delay works considering distance so it'll only make delay bigger but it should look more like real life delay than it currently does. If it's too harcore for you, I'm not sure but you might be able to change delay by playing around with "SpeedOfLight = 3E+08" value on 3rd line.

Anyone knows how to retain the antenna and dish animations of remote tech without the actual remote tech plugin functionality?

I saw Mr. Scott Manley unfolding the big remote tech dish in the Interstellar Quest video of exploring Jool and I am sure he wasn't using the actual communications part of the mod.

You would have to remove the CFG files also that would give stock part back to working but RT2 part you will have to make a CFG to add the stock

MODULE

{

name = ModuleDataTransmitter

packetInterval = 0.4

packetSize = 2

packetResourceCost = 10.0

requiredResource = ElectricCharge

}

If you need help you can pm me. Edited by Mecripp2

I'm encountering a bug that effectively stalls my career at LKO; for some reason my relay satellites disappear the moment I switch back to KSC, leaving only a bugged engine and bugging Kerbin as well... I've already made a post about this bug here - I've posted screenshots and output log for some more literate KSP players to check. I'd greatly appreciate any help available...

Hi All,

Not sure if this is me or a bug....

Been playing KSP using the Dark MultiPlayer (DMP) with a couple of friends. We are trying to establish a base on Mun using MKS (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79588http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79588), TAC and Remote Tech.

Seeing some strange behaviour from Remote Tech - namely that when I launch an unmanned probe I get not connection to KSC and no matter where I put the craft it ALWAYS appears to be under local control. Is this a DMP known issue or something else.

Cheers

So I have looked through all the posts since the release of .24 for anyone who has had the problem with RT2 not transmitting the correct amount of science data. So far I have seen a few posts about it on this forum, as well as the bug report forum on Github. However, no one has been able to answer definitively as to whether there is a fix, or explanation as to the root of this issue. I know for me it works fine in x32, but not in x64. 1st world problem I know, but it would be really nice to be able to use this mod on x64. I have tried 1.4.0, build-develop-32, and RC 1.4.1, all of them have the same issue on my x64 game. I have tried it with zero mods, and with a bunch of mods, all the same result. Any discussion on this would be appreciated.

Seeing some strange behaviour from Remote Tech - namely that when I launch an unmanned probe I get not connection to KSC and no matter where I put the craft it ALWAYS appears to be under local control. Is this a DMP known issue or something else.

It's probably because whatever remote core you're using isn't supported by RT2. You need to add an SPU module to the part (see the probe configs in the RT2 folder for examples). Unless you've successfully used this remote core before without local control?

So I have looked through all the posts since the release of .24 for anyone who has had the problem with RT2 not transmitting the correct amount of science data. So far I have seen a few posts about it on this forum, as well as the bug report forum on Github. However, no one has been able to answer definitively as to whether there is a fix, or explanation as to the root of this issue. ... Any discussion on this would be appreciated.

Had the same issue and just sucked it up and downgraded to a 32bit install. For now at least I can keep playing with what I feel is one of several must have mods.