[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Took a few days, but finally got the error (and a crash):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ik5ju0sbxjp7b5/KSP.zip?dl=0 This is the ksp.log file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/15xid1dgxr6qby6/output_log.zip?dl=0 This is the output_log.txt file

Hope this helps!

Hi disoculated,

your error seems to be related to https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/issues/139

Please use this dll https://www.dropbox.com/s/7hszm2m6havieyh/RemoteTech2_debug_dll_only.zip to reproduce this again. After your game crashed go to your ksp directory and copy the log file for me. You can find the log: KSP_INSTALL_DIR/KSP_Data/output_log.txt (this file can be huge for this error, please zip this file)

Trying to set delays in the flight computer generally fails, as the keypresses get passed through to KSP and - in particular - if I press backspace my craft will tear itself apart.

I think this has been a long-standing issue, but I can't find the issue on github, nor in this thread... do I just fail at searching? Or am I looking at an actual, me-specific bug?

I'm at the point now where I'd like to specify in the future to do science readings, so my probe can take readings right after getting in to Duna's SOI, then again at Duna periapsis (to nab "low over" science) and again at the same 2 places at Ike.

From what I can tell, the only way to do this is to calculate how many seconds there are from now to the SOI change, and then maybe add a minute or two to make sure you get the reading, and then plug that number of seconds into the delay box. I'm willing to do this (it's not that hard a calculation) but it feels like it should be possible to do thi another way. Like, drop a maneuver node somewhere and then be able to say "do these readings at the time of this maneuver node" or something.

Am I just not seeing this functionality (like i didn't see the cone before) or is it truly not there and I just need to buckle down and do the math each time? Like I said, it's not HARD math but it just seems like something the computer would do for me :)

Trying to set delays in the flight computer generally fails, as the keypresses get passed through to KSP and - in particular - if I press backspace my craft will tear itself apart.

I think this has been a long-standing issue, but I can't find the issue on github, nor in this thread... do I just fail at searching? Or am I looking at an actual, me-specific bug?

I think it might be you-specific. I use flight computer delay all the time, and I've never accidentally triggered action groups or separated my capsule from the rocket that way.

Given that a bug like this could come from just about anywhere, are you using 32- or 64-bit KSP? What mods are installed?

From what I can tell, the only way to do this is to calculate how many seconds there are from now to the SOI change, and then maybe add a minute or two to make sure you get the reading, and then plug that number of seconds into the delay box. I'm willing to do this (it's not that hard a calculation) but it feels like it should be possible to do thi another way. Like, drop a maneuver node somewhere and then be able to say "do these readings at the time of this maneuver node" or something.

Am I just not seeing this functionality (like i didn't see the cone before) or is it truly not there and I just need to buckle down and do the math each time? Like I said, it's not HARD math but it just seems like something the computer would do for me :)

No, it's not there at the moment. The flight computer's features are quite basic. Feel free to write a pull request, that one's a little more reasonable than "I want to duplicate all MechJeb functionality without installing MechJeb". :wink:

That said, the map view should give you the time to both SOI changes and periapsis in real time, so you shouldn't need to do any math: just type "3m 30s" or whatever (THAT's a feature you might have missed).

I think it might be you-specific. I use flight computer delay all the time, and I've never accidentally triggered action groups or separated my capsule from the rocket that way.

Given that a bug like this could come from just about anywhere, are you using 32- or 64-bit KSP? What mods are installed?

32-bit KSP. Mods are, let's see... I'll just paste the list.

01-ModuleManager

20-ART_0.5.1

20-DeadlyReentryCont_v5.3

20-DockingPortAlignment_4.0

20-EditorExtensions_v1.3

20-Engineer-Redux-0.6.2.10

20-EnhancedNavBall_1_3_2

20-EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-7-4

20-ExpPack_0.2.1

20-Extraplanetary_Launchpads_v4.2.3

20-Ferram_Aerospace_Research-v0.14.1.1a

20-FinalFrontier

20-FinePrint-0.58b

20-FTT_0.2.1

20-Interstellar.Lite.v0.12.3

20-Karbonite_0.4.1

20-Karbonite-EPL-Converstion16-7

20-KAS_0.4.8

20-KerbalAlarmClock_2.7.8.2

20-Kerbal_Construction_Time-1.0.2

20-Kerbal_Joint_Reinforcement-v2.4.3.0

20-KPlus_0.2.1

20-KW_Release_Package_v2.6c

20-MKS_0.21.1

20-PreciseNode-1.1.0

20-ProcFairings_3.09

20-Rebalance

20-RemoteTech_2-1.4.1

20-ShipManifest.24.2_3.3.2_09282014

20-StationScience-1.2.1

20-TacLifeSupport_0.10.0.12

20-TextureCompressor_x86

20-TransferWindowPlanner_1.0.1.0

20-US_Core-0.8.4.22

20-US_KAS-0.8.3.12

30-CoolRockets

30-HotRockets

40-KSAEA

70-US_TAC-0.8.3.41

32-bit KSP. Mods are, let's see... I'll just paste the list.

Holy crap. I think I'll have to ask you to do some testing on your end. I can't vouch for ART, Cool Rockets, Docking Port Alignment, EditorExtensions (sounds invasive; could that be messing with the GUI behavior?), Enhanced NavBall, Exp Pack, FTT, Interstellar, KJR, KPlus, KSAEA, KW Rocketry, PreciseNode, Rebalance, Texture Compressor, Transfer Window Planner, or Universal Storage. You might try seeing if the bug disappears if you delete some of those mods; it's usually easiest if you make a copy of your entire KSP folder, then do any experiments on the copy.

An easier alternative that just occurred to me: if you post (on Gist, pastebin, Dropbox etc.) your KSP_Data/output_log.txt file, I can try to see if there's a graphics error happening somewhere else. KSP tends to react very badly if an error occurs inside a mod's drawing code, so it could be that another mod's getting something wrong in a menu or window or something and that's messing with things when RemoteTech tries to draw its windows.

One question: what are the round numbers in front of each mod?

No, it's not there at the moment. The flight computer's features are quite basic. Feel free to write a pull request, that one's a little more reasonable than "I want to duplicate all MechJeb functionality without installing MechJeb". :wink:

By no means do I want anything close to MechJeb :)

That said, the map view should give you the time to both SOI changes and periapsis in real time, so you shouldn't need to do any math: just type "3m 30s" or whatever (THAT's a feature you might have missed).

I did miss this functionality, and look forward to playing with it. Does it work with days as well and/or does it know between Kerbin days and Earth days? I use Kerbin days in my time scheme.

Honestly, it's pretty much what I want and don't feel anything else would help significantly enough to be worth putting time into, unless you were planning on it anyway.

One question: what are the round numbers in front of each mod?

Installation order for the install script, since some (extensions) used to overwrite parts of others. Not really the case anymore, but eh.

And I kind of figured you'd say that, so I put them all in order as git commits, RT2 first, and bisected them. The actual culprit is...

*drumroll*

...none of them. It still happens, even when unpacking just the RemoteTech2 zip into a completely clean installation. Oh, and this happens in both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Incidentally, there is no output_log.txt file anywhere in my home directory.

Edited by Baughn

Are you on Linux? I've noticed this issue on that platform for both 32 and 64 bit builds.

Ah. Now there's a detail that I'd missed. So it basically happens on any stock + RT game on Linux?

Log confirms that my original hunch was incorrect. Though there's something going on with your ModuleManager install:

[EXC 00:47:14.206] InvalidProgramException: Assembly: ModuleManager.2.2.2 at location: /home/svein/KSP/bin/GameData/ModuleManager.2.2.2.dll is not in the expected assembly. Code has been copied and this will cause problems.

I've seen that in a few other peoples' logs, have no idea what it is. Maybe ask on the MM thread.

Edit: I think I know enough to write a issue on it. It's now posted here.

Edited by Starstrider42

Installation order for the install script, since some (extensions) used to overwrite parts of others. Not really the case anymore, but eh.

And I kind of figured you'd say that, so I put them all in order as git commits, RT2 first, and bisected them. The actual culprit is...

*drumroll*

...none of them. It still happens, even when unpacking just the RemoteTech2 zip into a completely clean installation. Oh, and this happens in both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Incidentally, there is no output_log.txt file anywhere in my home directory.

Thats funny, I don't have a really problem setting a delay it can be a pain as jumping screens back haven't had backpace tear the craft apart and we just about have the same computer running the same OS.

Thats funny, I don't have a really problem setting a delay it can be a pain as jumping screens back haven't had backpace tear the craft apart and we just about have the same computer running the same OS.

It's because backspace activates the "abort" action group, which on my ships is designed to tear the craft apart. It's not supposed to do that; my actual bug is that keypresses get passed through to the underlying KSP code.

While aborting during takeoff is ok, doing so in orbit around Mun is rapidly--or slowly--fatal for the poor Kerbonaut. That said, the action group is empty by default so you wouldn't necessarily notice.

Edited by Baughn

EDIT- Yes on the keypass through but trying to remember if, I use backspace or if, I highlight it with the mouse and punch in what, I needed to change.

EDIT- You or me change what backspace does that don't happen to me

Edited by Mecripp2

Ah. Now there's a detail that I'd missed. So it basically happens on any stock + RT game on Linux?

Happens a lot with my Linux game when interacting with MechJeb. Or when typing ship names in the VAB (Interstellar's helper panel comes up frequently). I would assume this is not RT-specific, but rather a KSP Linux bug.

EDIT- Yes on the keypass through but trying to remember if, I use backspace or if, I highlight it with the mouse and punch in what, I needed to change.

EDIT- You or me change what backspace does that don't happen to me

Yep, this is a KSP Linux bug.

Here's some workarounds:

-Play in Windowed mode. Open a text editor, type your numbers in there, copy/paste to KSP.

-Use DELETE instead of BACKSPACE

-Use Cut (CTRL+X) instead of BACKSPACE

-Re-bind the abort action to something other than BACKSPACE

-Use different action groups for abort, or use Action Groups Extended to add other action groups besides the 1-0 keys.

Are there any known mod windows where the keypresses don't pass through? We might see how they avoided the bug and copy it for RemoteTech.

None that I've encountered yet. Even the stock dialogue windows (like the craft name field in VAB) allow keypresses through.

Hello again, got a question for you if you don't mind. Hopefully far less controversial than my last time popping in. Is RT2 actually doing anything relating to science transmission other than just checking you have a connection to KSC? I'm curious if it's safe to modify the values inside TRANSMITTER to give the antennas progression without breaking anything in how RT2 handles science transmission. I'm assuming it's just a copy/paste of the regular DataTransmitter module just bundled into the RTAntenna module and there's no changes being made based on distance or anything, but I figured I'd ask to be sure.

As I'm asking this I just thought about the RTAntennaPassive module on all probes. Would that stop any changes to TRANSMITTER in antennas from actually having any effect anytime a probe core is present?

Hi everyone, I'm having kind of an issue trying to connect a probe to a relay satellite.

I detailed the problem in its own thread, specifically this post.

Basically, I have a probe connected to my stationary network. I have a relay connected to the network, but as soon as I switch the probe to that relay, I lose connection, although they both have power, they are not eclipsed, are pointed at each other and are well within range. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. :(

UPDATE: Turns out, I am just bad. The network wasn't setup right, I was missing a connection between two relays.

Edited by Ippo

Hello again, got a question for you if you don't mind. Hopefully far less controversial than my last time popping in. Is RT2 actually doing anything relating to science transmission other than just checking you have a connection to KSC? I'm curious if it's safe to modify the values inside TRANSMITTER to give the antennas progression without breaking anything in how RT2 handles science transmission. I'm assuming it's just a copy/paste of the regular DataTransmitter module just bundled into the RTAntenna module and there's no changes being made based on distance or anything, but I figured I'd ask to be sure.

As I'm asking this I just thought about the RTAntennaPassive module on all probes. Would that stop any changes to TRANSMITTER in antennas from actually having any effect anytime a probe core is present?

Sorry about the controversy. To follow up on that, we agreed to rename the folders, DLL and everything to RemoteTech. That should be the most robust solution in the long term. (But I'm warning everybody right now: please remove your RemoteTech2 folder before installing the next update, which will be released Soon, or the recent dev builds.)

For your new question, as far as I know the TRANSMITTER node is equivalent to the normal ModuleDataTransmitter, except for checking if there's a connection. Cilph told me at one point that the all-identical values were placeholders and that they weren't chosen for any particular reason, so you should be fine changing them.

That said, I did try custom values in my previous (0.23-0.23.5) career save. While they had the intended effect, I had a hard time getting something that was both plausible and balanced. I wish you better luck.

Edited by Starstrider42

Hi everyone, I'm having kind of an issue trying to connect a probe to a relay satellite.

I detailed the problem in its own thread, specifically this post.

Basically, I have a probe connected to my stationary network. I have a relay connected to the network, but as soon as I switch the probe to that relay, I lose connection, although they both have power, they are not eclipsed, are pointed at each other and are well within range. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. :(

This post (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83305?p=1447900#post1447900) sounds like it might be the same problem you're having. Basically, there's a bug where having both an active vessel connection and a planet-based connection to the same target seems to cancel out???

I'm working on making cones more consistent at the moment; I'll see if this bug still exists when I'm done.

This post (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83305?p=1447900#post1447900) sounds like it might be the same problem you're having. Basically, there's a bug where having both an active vessel connection and a planet-based connection to the same target seems to cancel out???

I'm working on making cones more consistent at the moment; I'll see if this bug still exists when I'm done.

Thanks, but MeCripp found the problem: I am dumb and forgot to link two satellites. It looked right, but it wasn't :)