[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Here's what I do: Once I have a ring of satellites set as close to the same period as I can get with the thrust limiters on the engines and Mechjeb/KER readouts, I hand-edit the save file to give them all the same semimajor axis.

I wouldn't mind a mod that would allow me to right-click the probe core and say "copy the SMA of my target", but to get around rounding error when the vessel goes on rails you would have to do the orbit editing after the player switches away from the vessel. Are there any existing mods that adjust the orbits of inactive vessels?

i have always just accepted that it's not going to be perfect and i just put extra nodes in the network and use omni's to keep them linked, rather then dishes

Hey Everyone,

I have done some googling and searching on various threads on the KSP forums, but I can not figure out why this issue is happening.

I have placed a com network around Kerbin, Mun, Minmus, and Duna. Using Kerbal Engineer I am able to get my orbital periods to mach down to .1 second.

Here is my issue. My satellites around the Mun and Minmus seem to speed up on their own. I can have on of the satellites set as an active vessel and watch the orbital period slowly change. After 10 Kerbal years, the networks around Mun, and Minmus are out of sync. Kerbin, and Duna are holding up just fine.

I know this isn't a remote tech problem, in fact it may not even be a problem at all. Anyone know how to combat this?

Thanks,

Zach R

Edit: Added some Pics http://imgur.com/a/2trtX#0

Edited by zredmon
goggling to googling

What I would like to have the option is to somehow be able to click on another satellite's as a target to make sure that I infact have achieved the same plane/orbit/cirumfrence...whatever. OR...when I get really really close to an orbit of a satellite I have picked, to have a little "cheat" button so I can click it and it will actually adjust my orbit to exactly match the other sats orbit.

That way once its on rails, its a done deal.

Already proposed: https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/issues/115. We've yet to reach the consensus on how the option should work so that it's both user-friendly and easy to keep bug-free. Won't be in the next update, but it's on our radar.

For now, my preferred way of "cheating" is to edit the save file so that all satellites have the same semimajor axis: http://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/tutorials/keo/#save-file-tweaking. I haven't done the long-range games other people have, but the network stays reasonably stable for at least a couple of years, even if you go back into the game and load the satellites for something.

I have placed a com network around Kerbin, Mun, Minmus, and Duna. Using Kerbal Engineer I am able to get my orbital periods to mach down to .1 second.

Here is my issue. My satellites around the Mun and Minmus seem to speed up on their own. I can have on of the satellites set as an active vessel and watch the orbital period slowly change. After 10 Kerbal years, the networks around Mun, and Minmus are out of sync. Kerbin, and Duna are holding up just fine.

It might be a rounding error in the KSP engine. Squad has stated repeatedly that precision maneuvering is not the gameplay style they were going for.

However, a period change of three seconds per minute is HUGE. You might be running into some form of the kraken drive or something.

Do the periods stay fixed if you leave the vessels unloaded?

Already proposed: https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/issues/115. We've yet to reach the consensus on how the option should work so that it's both user-friendly and easy to keep bug-free. Won't be in the next update, but it's on our radar.

Just a thought, "Set orbit +/- 45/60/90/180* degrees of target craft." Only works if you're close to the target's orbit (FinePrint checks this so I know it's possible) and within - say - 5 degrees of already being there (I *think* that's simple math). Won't work for Molniya orbits and 5 seconds of thought on it hurts my brain but it should work fine for simple circular orbits.

It might be a rounding error in the KSP engine. Squad has stated repeatedly that precision maneuvering is not the gameplay style they were going for.

However, a period change of three seconds per minute is HUGE. You might be running into some form of the kraken drive or something.

Do the periods stay fixed if you leave the vessels unloaded?

The periods do seem to move slightly if the vessel is unloaded. We are talking fractions of what they are if the vessel is loaded though. My guess would be since the vessel is unloaded calculations are happening less frequently.

I have also notices that this only happens if i am orbiting a moon. My nodes around Kerbin and Duna are not affected.

Can anyone point me to the the original RT dish pack? There was one in particular that looked like a 4 petal flower and was very sci-fi / futuristic looking. I'd like to have that one back if possible?

Sent you a PM if you need help let me know.

EDIT- You 2 drtedastro

Edited by Mecripp2

I propose this....

You become the ship you want to "cheat on". In Map Mode you right click on a sat where you want to "Cheat From".

And you queue this up in a "list".

You go back to Space Center ( So now everything is on the rails) and then you click a little execute button that becomes visible in the list.

Make it so #1 :-)

I'm just glad its on the list somewhere.

Thanks, and Cheers'

I propose this....[...]

i'd like to humbly suggest that Hyperedit already has a lot of orbit editing tools, and this mod should focus on what it already does very well, that is, communications and control.

BMW doesn't make petrol, even thou every single one of it's products needs it.

Actually, some changes in orbit is somewhat realistic.

A full n-body physics, if it ever gets completed, would definitely mess up orbits over time. A sattelite needs some sort of orbital correction mechanism, RCS or something similar.

As for driving it, I guess some kind of autopilot like kOS could be used.

Hello. Is there any comparability of RemoteTech with MechJeb mod? Since it is quite frustrating when signal disappears and so does the programmed autopilot command of getting into orbit. I can't get even the 1st satellite on RSS orbit.

Hello. Is there any comparability of RemoteTech with MechJeb mod? Since it is quite frustrating when signal disappears and so does the programmed autopilot command of getting into orbit. I can't get even the 1st satellite on RSS orbit.

There is integration with kOS if you want to do unmanned missions. It is a little more involved but there are simple ascent scripts that people have built.

Hi there!

I'm having quite a bit of trouble updating my RemoteTech2 module manager script to add support in my mod.

Here is an example:

@PART[Vega_Antenna_B]:FOR[RemoteTech]
{
!MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter] {}

@MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric]
{
%allowManualControl = false
}

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna] {
%Mode0DishRange = 0
%Mode1DishRange = 200000000000
%EnergyCost = 2.80
%MaxQ = 6000
%DishAngle = 0.015

%DeployFxModules = 0

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.3
%PacketSize = 2
%PacketResourceCost = 15.0
}
}

%MODULE[ModuleSPUPassive] {}
}

I'm not sure what has gone wrong, but now if the user does not have Remote Tech installed, the antenna will not function at all (no animation, won't send science).

I can test this by moving the moduleManager script out of the GameData directory, the antennas return to normal working order.

I've tried changed NEEDS to FOR, but that sadly has not worked.

Hey guys! :)

Maybe I am too dumb for mods (i normaly do not use any!, but this one looks too good ^^), but my remote tech does not work :(

I want to play career with it (of course ;) ), but the parts do not appear in the tech tree... and in sandbox mode i do not need omni antennas to control an unmaned probe (even very far away from KSC), furthermore i cannot set a target for a dish. the only sign of the mod is the gui in map view and the new parts, but no functions.... :( EDIT: I also do not get a "working connection"-icon in the top left corner

I just copied the content of the .zip into the gamedata folder, was that wrong? how is it done then?

thanks for any help :)

EDIT: just found out, that when i copy the "tech required" line (along with the rest) found in the RemoteTech_Antennas.cfg into the .cfg file of the part (antenna) (without the "%" at the beginning of every line), the parts appear in the tech tree... but remote tech itself does still not work... do i have to copy all these things in RemoteTech_Antennas.cfg to the cfg files of the parts??? that would be very very bad!

Edited by stoani96

Hey guys! :)

Maybe I am too dumb for mods (i normaly do not use any!, but this one looks too good ^^), but my remote tech does not work :(

I want to play career with it (of course ;) ), but the parts do not appear in the tech tree... and in sandbox mode i do not need omni antennas to control an unmaned probe (even very far away from KSC), furthermore i cannot set a target for a dish. the only sign of the mod is the gui in map view and the new parts, but no functions.... :( EDIT: I also do not get a "working connection"-icon in the top left corner

I just copied the content of the .zip into the gamedata folder, was that wrong? how is it done then?

thanks for any help :)

EDIT: just found out, that when i copy the "tech required" line (along with the rest) found in the RemoteTech_Antennas.cfg into the .cfg file of the part (antenna) (without the "%" at the beginning of every line), the parts appear in the tech tree... but remote tech itself does still not work... do i have to copy all these things in RemoteTech_Antennas.cfg to the cfg files of the parts??? that would be very very bad!

Do you have ModuleManager.*.*.* installed ?

EDIT- If not get it and you should be good http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55219-0-25-Module-Manager-2-5-1-%28Oct-08%29-Win64-must-die-edition

EDIT- And the % just tells it to look for it and if not there add it and if there change it.

Edited by Mecripp2

I have 4 Sats in orbit of kerbin, and a Big command station for long range comunications in pole to pole orbit. my moho probe just left SoI of kerbin and iv lost connection, It has the big gold folding dish pointed at kerbin. is there a way for me to regain command? I have my station with the normal unfolding system wide dish pointed at my craft but still nothing.

I have 4 Sats in orbit of kerbin, and a Big command station for long range comunications in pole to pole orbit. my moho probe just left SoI of kerbin and iv lost connection, It has the big gold folding dish pointed at kerbin. is there a way for me to regain command? I have my station with the normal unfolding system wide dish pointed at my craft but still nothing.

If you mean pointing at kerbin body as a target your way to close to use target body and think you can open debug and cheat the RCS and then try to target your dish.

EDIT- Now, I think about it, It might have been EVA fual cheat give's temp connection or use.

Edited by Mecripp2

Hi! I noticed tonight that rockets controlled by the NovaPunch M-38 Unoccupied Guidance System show as 'local control' at all times.

Shameless cutting and pasting to produce the file RemoteTech_NovaPunch_Probes.cfg seems to fix it:

{
%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {
}

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntennaPassive] {
%TechRequired = unmannedTech
%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.3
%PacketSize = 2
%PacketResourceCost = 15.0
}
}
}
@PART[NP_Capsule_Unmanned]:AFTER[NovaPunch2]

Not yet. It's on our wishlist, but it looks like it will be very difficult to get the two mods to play nice. Two possible workarounds for now:

• Remove the RemoteTech_MechJeb.cfg file from your RemoteTech install. This will cause MechJeb to *never* require a connection to mission control, i.e. you can send commands even when you shouldn't. Pick your poison.
  • I assume from your post that you're specifically having trouble with the launch autopilot; if you pick a steeper launch path, you might be able to get your final circularization burn while still in contact (at the cost of more fuel, though).

Starstrider42 - Is the science based upgrade one shot or would it support unlocking multiple capabilities at different nodes? e.g., 3k omni unlocks with unmanned tech, 2500k unlock with advanced electrics, etc.

There is one and only one upgrade. And to make things clear, the upgrade's been in RemoteTech since at least the days of 0.23. Now it's just a little more obvious.

Hi there!

I'm having quite a bit of trouble updating my RemoteTech2 module manager script to add support in my mod.

I'm not sure what has gone wrong, but now if the user does not have Remote Tech installed, the antenna will not function at all (no animation, won't send science).

I can test this by moving the moduleManager script out of the GameData directory, the antennas return to normal working order.

I've tried changed NEEDS to FOR, but that sadly has not worked.

Short answer: that's because !MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter] {} disables stock science, and %allowManualControl = false disables stock animation.

I would think it should work fine if you have @PART[Vega_Antenna_B]:NEEDS[RemoteTech] or @PART[Vega_Antenna_B]:AFTER[RemoteTech] (for the record, never use :FOR[mod] unless it's your own mod; :AFTER[RemoteTech] is less intrusive, and as a nice bonus implies :NEEDS[RemoteTech] because of how the MM handles its modlist).

The only possibility I can think of is if you're putting your patch in a RemoteTech folder -- if somebody who doesn't have RemoteTech installs that, ModuleManger will look at the folder and think RemoteTech is installed when it isn't.

do you think you could make an aerodynaic radome-esque part for long range SSTO craft? storing the solar system wide antennae in a cargo bay is prone to breakage and seems like a waste of another probe sat launch spot.

Sorry, but right now there's nobody in the RemoteTech group who has modeling experience. So unless someone else is willing to step up, we won't be adding new antennas of any sort.

Hi! I noticed tonight that rockets controlled by the NovaPunch M-38 Unoccupied Guidance System show as 'local control' at all times.

Shameless cutting and pasting to produce the file RemoteTech_NovaPunch_Probes.cfg seems to fix it

*Sigh* There's always another probe core. Mind if we add the file to the next release?

Edited by Starstrider42
Clearer MM advice