[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Is there a configuration out there for Lack Luster Labs (LLL) antennas. The mod has quite a few but haven't been able to find any RT2 cfg files. I will also repost this on the LLL thread.

By the way, does RT2 integrate well with Kerbal Alarm Clock? I'd like to be able to set a command and leave the vessel on rails, and be returned for it to execute, even if I don't have connection at that time.

nope not yet. planned

nope not yet. planned

I've been thinking today about how RT2 exacerbates the problems with KSP not being able to fully simulate multiple vessels at the same time. Stock KSP is all manual control, so you don't really feel the limitations... however, with RT2, imagine having an orbit around the sun, and wanting to execute a burn delayed by months after the last radio connection...

The ideal solution I've come up with would need RT2 to persist delayed commands for all vessels, and integrate with Kerbal Alarm Clock to switch to those vessels to execute the actions.

The only problem that can happen in this case is when this happens, you are in a critical moment with another vehicle, which would become unloaded / crash if you switched away from it. For that, I think a time-rewind mechanism similar to FMRS would be cool, to execute the actions after you're back at Space Center...

A little strange thing with what i;am trying to achieve, hope some one can help out

ok so while i do like RT a lot to play with adds to game play a lot i do dislike (reason i;am not that good at KSP let alone RT) the constant need to have connection to do anything with probes so a friend created this patch for KSP 0.24.2 and back then RT2 1.4.1 what i does it makes it a bit easier for newbies (ME) to play with RT in other words (you can control probes without connection but will require a connection if you want to transmit data) now the problem is using this same Patch in 0.25 and RT 1.5.1 it doesn't work as intended the problem is you have partial control (you can throttle but cant turn on SAS RCS or using Stage with Space key etc) has something changed in RT 1.5.1 the way it reads the patches? and if yes, how can i solve this problem (to only require connection for data transmitting) hope i;am not asking a lot lol :)

here is the Patch i;am using in 0.24.2 with RT2 1.4.1

@PART[LH_Hermes]

{

MODULE

{

name = ModuleRTAntenna

Mode0DishRange = 0

Mode1DishRange = 800000000000

EnergyCost = 0.90

DishAngle = 5.50

TRANSMITTER

{

PacketInterval = 0.3

PacketSize = 2

PacketResourceCost = 15.0

}

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleSPUPassive

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleRTAntennaPassive

OmniRange = 3000000

TRANSMITTER

{

PacketInterval = 0.3

PacketSize = 2

}

}

}

The ideal solution I've come up with would need RT2 to persist delayed commands for all vessels, and integrate with Kerbal Alarm Clock to switch to those vessels to execute the actions.

The only problem that can happen in this case is when this happens, you are in a critical moment with another vehicle, which would become unloaded / crash if you switched away from it. For that, I think a time-rewind mechanism similar to FMRS would be cool, to execute the actions after you're back at Space Center...

Persistent flight computer is on the to-do list, but it may be a while before we get to it. Unless you're volunteering? ;)

AFAIK Kerbal Alarm Clock no longer supports vessel switching (and I think it remember being buggy when it did exist), and something like FMRS seems like a very roundabout (and, again, potentially buggy) solution.

A little strange thing with what i;am trying to achieve, hope some one can help out

ok so while i do like RT a lot to play with adds to game play a lot i do dislike (reason i;am not that good at KSP let alone RT) the constant need to have connection to do anything with probes so a friend created this patch for KSP 0.24.2 and back then RT2 1.4.1 what i does it makes it a bit easier for newbies (ME) to play with RT in other words (you can control probes without connection but will require a connection if you want to transmit data) now the problem is using this same Patch in 0.25 and RT 1.5.1 it doesn't work as intended the problem is you have partial control (you can throttle but cant turn on SAS RCS or using Stage with Space key etc) has something changed in RT 1.5.1 the way it reads the patches? and if yes, how can i solve this problem (to only require connection for data transmitting) hope i;am not asking a lot lol :)

I think I understood all that, but please use sentences in the future.

The patch seems ok enough, and I don't see why it would cause the behavior you described. However, I don't see what it has to do with probe control -- I assume the "LH_Hermes" is an antenna?

You should be able to get the effect you want just by deleting all the "_Probes.cfg" files (plus RemoteTech_MechJeb.cfg) from your RT install, while leaving the "_Antennas.cfg" files intact.

I think this should be featured in the First page so that others can find it.

I'm actually working on a code change that should make it unnecessary for RSS to overwrite the settings file. At that point I probably will post a list of optional MM files.

I think I understood all that, but please use sentences in the future.

The patch seems ok enough, and I don't see why it would cause the behavior you described. However, I don't see what it has to do with probe control -- I assume the "LH_Hermes" is an antenna?

You should be able to get the effect you want just by deleting all the "_Probes.cfg" files (plus RemoteTech_MechJeb.cfg) from your RT install, while leaving the "_Antennas.cfg" files intact.

Sorry my english is not my native language :P ....anyway LH_Hermes is a probe and an antenna (Dish) (Lionhead Probes mod) apparently when i try that patch you can use only one ether to set it up to so that it is an Omni antenna or a dish i cant have both while in RT 1.4.1 this worked perfectly good in 1.5.1 i just cant seem to get it to work, i did as instructed deleted Probes.cfg and Mechjeb.cfg leaving Antennas.cfg it was a no go i even tried using only this patch with nothing else (leaving only settings) same thing the probe sits on the launch pad it;s connected i can control it (move it around W,A,S,D) nothing else works staging SAS RCS etc etc

i hope it makes sense

#### update

i tried with a fresh install of ksp + rt 1.5.1 and only the patch and the part and the problem still persists

Edited by dtoxic

Persistent flight computer is on the to-do list, but it may be a while before we get to it. Unless you're volunteering? ;)

AFAIK Kerbal Alarm Clock no longer supports vessel switching (and I think it remember being buggy when it did exist), and something like FMRS seems like a very roundabout (and, again, potentially buggy) solution.

I've been reading a lot of KSP mod codebase today, so I guess I'll look into it, and get back to you. ;) Just persisting the state shouldn't be too much trouble, I guess.

As for vessel switching and roundabout approaches... yea no matter what we do, unless we can run multiple instances of the Unity/KSP physics engine, I'm afraid this might still be the best solution. And while in the software industry, "it's not possible" usually means "it would require me to actively think for more than 10 minutes", there seems to be an awful hard consensus in the modding community and in Squad that this is not something that can be done while using Unity.

I guess a simplified maneuver execution system could be implemented on rails... One that just takes the thrust vector and delta-v, and adjusts the orbit data accordingly (if the vessel has enough delta-v to execute the maneuver of course).

Sorry my english is not my native language :P

Okay sorry, I don't want to sound like a troll, but you are hard to read, and it's not particularly your English - it's quite good actually. It's your lack of structure and complete disregard of capital letters and punctuation.

So here's what we're asking you to do...

Instead of this...

....anyway LH_Hermes is a probe and an antenna (Dish) (Lionhead Probes mod) apparently when i try that patch you can use only one ether to set it up to so that it is an Omni antenna or a dish i cant have both while in RT 1.4.1 this worked perfectly good in 1.5.1 i just cant seem to get it to work, i did as instructed deleted Probes.cfg and Mechjeb.cfg leaving Antennas.cfg it was a no go i even tried using only this patch with nothing else (leaving only settings) same thing the probe sits on the launch pad it;s connected i can control it (move it around W,A,S,D) nothing else works staging SAS RCS etc etc

...you could write like this:

....anyway LH_Hermes is a probe and an antenna (Dish, from Lionhead Probes mod). Apparently, when I try that patch, you can use only one either to set it up to - so that it is an Omni antenna or a dish. I can't have both.

While in RT 1.4.1 this worked perfectly good, in 1.5.1 I just can't seem to get it to work. I did as instructed: deleted Probes.cfg and Mechjeb.cfg, leaving Antennas.cfg. It was a no go.

I even tried using only this patch with nothing else (leaving only settings). Same thing, the probe sits on the launch pad, it's connected, I can control it (move it around W,A,S,D), but nothing else works - staging, SAS, RCS, etc., etc.

See what we mean?

Edited by S1gmoid

Okay sorry, I don't want to sound like a troll, but you are hard to read, and it's not particularly your English - it's quite good actually. It's your lack of structure and complete disregard of capital letters and punctuation.

So here's what we're asking you to do...

Instead of this...

...you could write like this:

See what we mean?

Again sorry, ill do my best to make it better in the future, and thanks for pointing out my writing mistakes I really appreciate it:)

I'm trying to integrate the Leika Mk1, a probe introduced by Goodspeed into RemoteTech, and have not been succesfull yet

I tried to add the following cfg

@PART[LaikaMk1]:AFTER[Goodspeed]

{

%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {

}

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntennaPassive] {

%TechRequired = unmannedTech

%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {

%PacketInterval = 0.3

%PacketSize = 2

%PacketResourceCost = 15.0

}

}

}

what am I doing wrong?

Edited by FreeThinker

I'm trying to integrate the Leika Mk1, a probe introduced by Goodspeed into RemoteTech, and have not been succesfull yet

{

%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {

}

%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {

%PacketInterval = 0.3

%PacketSize = 2

}

}

}

what am I doing wrong?

I think you should remove :AFTER[Goodspeed] and add :FOR[RemoteTech]

{

%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {

}

%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {

%PacketInterval = 0.3

%PacketSize = 2

}

}

}

what am I doing wrong?

This should get anything that as command

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[ModuleSPU]]

{

MODULE[ModuleSPU] {

}

MODULE[ModuleRTAntennaPassive] {

OmniRange = 3000

TRANSMITTER {

PacketInterval = 0.3

PacketSize = 2

}

}

}

Intresting so "AS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand], !MODULE[ModuleSPU]]" tells modulemanager thatany part that contains a ModuleCommand but not already a ModuleSPU add a ModuleSPU ?

That's briliant!

ut my logical question would be then, why isn't this added by default in the cfg list?

I like RemoteTech, i really do. But I hate precisely timing my orbits to keep my Deep Space Network working (2 sites on Kerbin with large dishes, near the equator and 1/3 the way around from KSC). BORING. So I usually install it for a week, get a nice network around Kerbin and the Mun and then...I have to fix orbits...so I uninstall.

Anyway, there HAD to be a better way :D

Javascript is disabled. View full album

A ground-based DSN and LKO relay network. It was easy enough to build, each deployment took ~5 minutes of timewarp there, ~5 minutes of finding a good spot + dropping off the payload (usually from a hover :D) and ~8 minutes back (I spend extra time landing).

A fun and relatively simple way to reduce the agony of maintaining communications in LKO (which is the backbone of how I design my networks). And in carrer mode, each relay station cost ~K11,000 but could be made much cheaper.

http://imgur.com/a/f8CFo

A ground-based DSN and LKO relay network. It was easy enough to build, each deployment took ~5 minutes of timewarp there, ~5 minutes of finding a good spot + dropping off the payload (usually from a hover k_cheesy.gif) and ~8 minutes back (I spend extra time landing).

A fun and relatively simple way to reduce the agony of maintaining communications in LKO (which is the backbone of how I design my networks). And in carrer mode, each relay station cost ~K11,000 but could be made much cheaper.

Weird that you require so little battery power, how can if function durring the night?

Edited by FreeThinker

I'm trying to lower the speed of light to a number that allow me to experience the time delay simililar to real life

As a ruler, I'm using the time delay between the earth and moon which supposed to be 1.3 second. the distance between Kerbin and Mun is 12000 km. So in order to experience a 1.3 delay on the mun I need to lower the speed of light to 9230769 m/s. That's about 1/32 of the speed of light correct?

Edited by FreeThinker

Intresting so "AS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand], !MODULE[ModuleSPU]]" tells modulemanager thatany part that contains a ModuleCommand but not already a ModuleSPU add a ModuleSPU ?

That's briliant!

ut my logical question would be then, why isn't this added by default in the cfg list?

I don't know, I think it would help alot of people and glad you like :).

Is anyone still having the duplication bug? I know it was quashed back in a RT2 build from way back, but I just had a catastrophic failure with a duplicate that pulled in last night. Using RT 1.5.1 and .25.

I'd post a log but I have too many mods to rule out that it was specifically RT...just that it was the same behavior that I used to run across with RT2 back in the days.

That's briliant!

It might need some additional thought and testing around manned modules. Ie. does it make a manned module remote controllable. If it does, we should add electric charge consumption for game balance. If it doesn't, does it cause anything weird to happen.

I'm still new to ModuleManager, maybe there is a way to tell it to only modify unmanned command modules.

By the way, I noticed a bug in the flight computer. If you move a maneuver node after placing it, the flight computer still sets the original heading (which is usually quite wrong) when you hit "NODE". I've already started looking into the persistent computer commands thing, so I'll look around for the cause of this, but if any dev or contributor already knows what causes it and where to look, I'd love some guidance. :D

Edited by S1gmoid

i even tried using only this patch with nothing else (leaving only settings) same thing the probe sits on the launch pad it;s connected i can control it (move it around W,A,S,D) nothing else works staging SAS RCS etc etc

i hope it makes sense

#### update

i tried with a fresh install of ksp + rt 1.5.1 and only the patch and the part and the problem still persists

Ok, then that would seem to be a bug. I've also run into problems with hybrid probe/antennas (https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/issues/213), so we probably need to change something in the code to let these modules play nice with each other.

I guess a simplified maneuver execution system could be implemented on rails... One that just takes the thrust vector and delta-v, and adjusts the orbit data accordingly (if the vessel has enough delta-v to execute the maneuver of course).

Again, is that really necessary? I would think once the flight computer is persistent, requiring that players switch over to their vessel for a few minutes to actually fire up the engines would not be too onerous. After all, you need to do that in stock KSP anyway.

I think you should remove :AFTER[Goodspeed] and add :FOR[RemoteTech]

Please do not use :FOR[RemoteTech] -- as noted above, ModuleManger's :FOR slots are reserved for use by the named mod. That said, you might want to check in KSP.log (search for "[ModuleManager]" as well as for ":AFTER[Goodspeed]") to see if :AFTER[Goodspeed] is actually getting called. MM might be using a different name for the mod.

By the way, I noticed a bug in the flight computer. If you move a maneuver node after placing it, the flight computer still sets the original heading (which is usually quite wrong) when you hit "NODE". I've already started looking into the persistent computer commands thing, so I'll look around for the cause of this, but if any dev or contributor already knows what causes it and where to look, I'd love some guidance. :D

Known limitation; flight computer entries are completely detached from maneuver nodes once created. You might want to talk to Peppie23, who was working on fixing that as part of a new feature: https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/issues/73.

Also, as far as guidance from me goes, the current flight computer has some vestigial code that counts seconds to command execution instead of just storing the scheduled time. If you want FC commands to persist, that code will need to be replaced with a timestamp-based approach.