nadseh

[0.23.5] MechJeb and Engineer for all!

I got fed up placing MechJeb and Engineer parts on my vessels so I wrote a small mod using ModuleManager to automatically include a MechJeb computer, Flight Engineer and Build Engineer on any craft that includes a probe core or a command module.

It's quite a simple mod so if you are familiar with ModuleManager you can easily adapt it to add other modules to your crafts, e.g. Protractor.

Download here

Well that is darn decent of you. I'm always including both on just about everything, and it can often be quite difficult to get the aesthetics correct when placing both those parts. Finding someplace for them to not look out-of-place, and to not look unbalanced, can be trying. Thanks, I'll give this a shot.

Does this come with all that is needed, or do I still need mechjeb and engineer to work it?

Does this come with all that is needed, or do I still need mechjeb and engineer to work it?

This is just a config file to add Mechjeb and Engineering capabilities to probe cores and command vessels. You need the actual mods installed if you want this to do anything useful. :)

This is just a config file to add Mechjeb and Engineering capabilities to probe cores and command vessels. You need the actual mods installed if you want this to do anything useful. :)

What he said :)

I will try it :)

I had recently the problem with a vessel made by Rune.

This is purely curiosity, why do you run both? Either one or the other is sufficient.

Since you are probably using MechJeb for some of the autopilot features, and Engineer for the info windows, why not drop engineer and make custom windows in Mechjeb that only display the information that you want visible?

I'm not trying to tell you how to play, but I am trying to help you out since running both of them is really just a waste of memory.

This is purely curiosity, why do you run both? Either one or the other is sufficient.

Since you are probably using MechJeb for some of the autopilot features, and Engineer for the info windows, why not drop engineer and make custom windows in Mechjeb that only display the information that you want visible?

I'm not trying to tell you how to play, but I am trying to help you out since running both of them is really just a waste of memory.

I do indeed use MechJeb for autopilot stuff (generally launching in to planes and for launch windows) but I find Engineer's information display to be far, far nicer. I'm just fussy I guess!

Bit fancier than the one I whipped up a while back after some tinkering.

If you would like to add Protractor support, simply add the following under one of the @PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]] headings, although I think more than one may be a bit redundant.

MODULE

{

name = ProtractorModule

}

For reference, my old config looks like this:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]

{

MODULE

{

name = BuildEngineer

}

MODULE

{

name = FlightEngineer

}

MODULE

{

name = ProtractorModule

}

MODULE

{

name = MechJebCore

}

}

Seems to still work.

Works perfect in 0.24.2 This mod really makes Engineer and Mechjeb great these machines would be located in the command pods in real life.

Thanks

It's a bit out of date for kerbal engineer, buildengineer was removed and set to default in the VAB/SPH.

Bump for support. This is a great mod-of-a-mod.

Works with 24.2 and MM2.3.4 as far as I can tell. I will report back if there are any problems.

I may edit the config to only allow auto mechjeb/engineer on the more advanced pods and probes; reason may dictate that a command pod MKI wouldn't have the space for an on-board flight computer.

That's been my thought too, but I'll add the mercury, which I see as the mk1 archetype, did have a "sequencer".

This still works with MechJeb in KSP 0.25. Haven't tried it with Engineer.

this does not appear to be working at all in .90

Edit: hurr durr, I forgot to install it, it works fine

Edited by jab136

Maybe use MM to increase the cost of all probe cores and command pods with the price of MechJeb (if installed) and KER (if installed) or both (if both are installed)?

anyone tested this with 1.0 yet? I am still waiting on a couple of my other mods to be updated, but it would be nice to know if this was working.

I was actually just looking for engineer, I never use mechjeb, so I was considering not even installing it anymore.

the only module needed fir KE is FlightEngineerModule. A small MM config with a line that adds to your command parts the following will give you want you are looking for:

MODULE

{

name = FlightEngineerModule

}

I was actually just looking for engineer, I never use mechjeb, so I was considering not even installing it anymore.

You just need to create a cfg file with the following code.

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}
}

@PART
{
MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

This adds KER to all parts that have Command (i.e. Pods and Probe cores) wihtout having to use the KER parts

If you dont know how to create a cfg, just open up a empty text file, paste the code, and save it as "whatever".cfg (in the save as box, make sure you change from text file to "all files" Then slap the file in your game data folder.

Does anyone have problems with carrier mode or is it just me. I get all the MJ features on the 1st teer.

i have the same problem, also for some reason kerbal engineer stuff does not show up, which is a pity cause thats the main reason i am using this mod

p.s its career mode, your post confused me for a second

i have the same problem, also for some reason kerbal engineer stuff does not show up, which is a pity cause thats the main reason i am using this mod

p.s its career mode, your post confused me for a second

There is in fact a problem with kerbal engineer, here is a quick dirty fix:

Go to the cfg file and on the third module you should see "name = FlightEngineer". KER changed the module name in the last update so it has to read now "name = FlightEngineerModule". It should look like this:

@PART
{
%MODULE[MechJebCore]
{
MechJebLocalSettings
{
MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }
MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = flightControl }
MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }