[0.23.5] MechJeb and Engineer for all!

nadseh

I got fed up placing MechJeb and Engineer parts on my vessels so I wrote a small mod using ModuleManager to automatically include a MechJeb computer, Flight Engineer and Build Engineer on any craft that includes a probe core or a command module.

It's quite a simple mod so if you are familiar with ModuleManager you can easily adapt it to add other modules to your crafts, e.g. Protractor.

Download here

Well that is darn decent of you. I'm always including both on just about everything, and it can often be quite difficult to get the aesthetics correct when placing both those parts. Finding someplace for them to not look out-of-place, and to not look unbalanced, can be trying. Thanks, I'll give this a shot.

Does this come with all that is needed, or do I still need mechjeb and engineer to work it?

This is just a config file to add Mechjeb and Engineering capabilities to probe cores and command vessels. You need the actual mods installed if you want this to do anything useful. :)

This is just a config file to add Mechjeb and Engineering capabilities to probe cores and command vessels. You need the actual mods installed if you want this to do anything useful. :)

What he said :)

This is purely curiosity, why do you run both? Either one or the other is sufficient.

Since you are probably using MechJeb for some of the autopilot features, and Engineer for the info windows, why not drop engineer and make custom windows in Mechjeb that only display the information that you want visible?

I'm not trying to tell you how to play, but I am trying to help you out since running both of them is really just a waste of memory.

This is purely curiosity, why do you run both? Either one or the other is sufficient.

Since you are probably using MechJeb for some of the autopilot features, and Engineer for the info windows, why not drop engineer and make custom windows in Mechjeb that only display the information that you want visible?

I'm not trying to tell you how to play, but I am trying to help you out since running both of them is really just a waste of memory.

I do indeed use MechJeb for autopilot stuff (generally launching in to planes and for launch windows) but I find Engineer's information display to be far, far nicer. I'm just fussy I guess!

Bit fancier than the one I whipped up a while back after some tinkering.

If you would like to add Protractor support, simply add the following under one of the @PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]] headings, although I think more than one may be a bit redundant.

MODULE

{

name = ProtractorModule

}

For reference, my old config looks like this:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]

{

MODULE

{

name = BuildEngineer

}

MODULE

{

name = FlightEngineer

}

MODULE

{

name = ProtractorModule

}

MODULE

{

name = MechJebCore

}

}

Seems to still work.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Bump for support. This is a great mod-of-a-mod.

Works with 24.2 and MM2.3.4 as far as I can tell. I will report back if there are any problems.

I may edit the config to only allow auto mechjeb/engineer on the more advanced pods and probes; reason may dictate that a command pod MKI wouldn't have the space for an on-board flight computer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
I was actually just looking for engineer, I never use mechjeb, so I was considering not even installing it anymore.

You just need to create a cfg file with the following code.

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}
}

@PART
{
MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

This adds KER to all parts that have Command (i.e. Pods and Probe cores) wihtout having to use the KER parts

If you dont know how to create a cfg, just open up a empty text file, paste the code, and save it as "whatever".cfg (in the save as box, make sure you change from text file to "all files" Then slap the file in your game data folder.

i have the same problem, also for some reason kerbal engineer stuff does not show up, which is a pity cause thats the main reason i am using this mod

p.s its career mode, your post confused me for a second

i have the same problem, also for some reason kerbal engineer stuff does not show up, which is a pity cause thats the main reason i am using this mod

p.s its career mode, your post confused me for a second

There is in fact a problem with kerbal engineer, here is a quick dirty fix:

Go to the cfg file and on the third module you should see "name = FlightEngineer". KER changed the module name in the last update so it has to read now "name = FlightEngineerModule". It should look like this:

@PART
{
%MODULE[MechJebCore]
{
MechJebLocalSettings
{
MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }
MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = flightControl }
MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = fieldScience }
MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
}
}
}

@PART
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}
}

@PART
{
MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineerModule
}
}

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.