Le Grande World Cup Discussion Thread!

BagelRabbit

We've got a healthy thread going about the Kerbal Cup... but what about the real World Cup?!

This is a thread talking about the World Cup, and the teams that are taking part in it!

(Food for thought: Brazil just tied with Mexico, what does this mean for the teams?)

One note: Please no "Soccer or Football?" linguistic discussions.

Personally, I'm a fan teams other than the US winning, just because...

YES! What GLORY! This is unbelievable! We'll treasure this forever!
LOL, what? That's nice.

Hey, when does [American] football start?

I know I'm generalizing, but I think that a lot of other countries around the world would appreciate a World Cup victory far more than Americans.

Honestly, I don't know who I'm rooting for. But watching people play the world's favorite pastime is a good thing to do for me.

Let's see...

Netherlands' 5-1 could be considered **** in a court.

Colombia's 3-0 was pretty badass too.

USA scored their first goal since the foundation of their football team... :P

It's been a pretty good World cup, but you can't ignore what's happening outside of the stadium. There's people starving to death while international hotel and restaurant companies make millions out of this event.

Netherlands' 5-1 could be considered **** in a court.

And afterwards, a direct neighbor of the Netherlands beat a direct neighbor of Spain with the exact same 4 goals difference. It is a dark time for the iberian peninsula...

World+Cup+recently_c995ad_5185496.jpg

USA! USA! USA! USA!

Patience, grasshopper... We'll get to you after we're done with Ghana. >:]

As a german, i enjoyed the game against portugal very much. A week ago everyone was afraid that the german team is in a bad state, but now everyone is sure we can win the world cup.

As a German, I was very disappointed by the way they completely stopped trying during the second half. I know it was an intentional tactical decision and I know it worked out to a flawless victory, but it wasn't fun to watch. The first half was orders of magnitude more entertaining.

Well Ireland didn't qualify, but my girlfriend is Dutch. I don't know if that means I should want them to do well, or really badly!

Also, Squad are Mexican, do I want Mexico to do really well, because Squad deserve to be happy, or do I want them to get knocked out early, so they can get back to making KSP even more amazing?

I might just stick to the tried and tested strategy of "underdog and anyone but England"!

It's been a super world cup so far though, very few bad games. My money's probably on the Germans now. The Dutch have been the best team I've seen so far (I know Germany won by the same margin, but they were playing against ten men, and Spain are the world champions), but I think they'll bottle it at some point. I'm predicting a semi final exit for them. Possibly a Germany-Italy final (although I haven't looked at the draw to see how likely/possible that is given the groups they're in)

Mexico did very well yesterday against Brazil! (Or was Brazil that played bad?)

I've seen Brazil play much better... I've seen Mexico play much worse. It was pretty obvious though, that Brazil was the better team (IMHO). They just couldn't get their act together and shoot the ball past the Mexican goalie, who did a really top-notch job.

Well it looks like England are heading home, unless Italy win their next two games and England beat Costa Rica next Tuesday. Oh, and then we have to get, or Uruguay or Costa Rica have to lose 4 on goal difference to go through. In shorter terms, its quite unlikely!

It's a very awkward world championships this one. About all the major countries underperform and the 2 iberian countries thus [Port] and [ESP] seem to be in a state of catastrophy.

I'm dutch so I very enjoyed the match against spain. Actually saying that I'm in joy is a understatement. Even although we won against Australia it was a very bad match for the Netherlands.

Furthermore the FIFA are a band of fraudsters, criminals and will do anything for the country with the highest biddings and threats to get them through to the next round. But I still like the tournament and besides a emphatic victory by my home country I wouldn't be surprized they'd be send home in the last 16 against either mexico or brazil or (surprise country) seeing how bad they can play at times.

Yeah, I guess we could be that! :D Well England are out, although, one of our main aims of the last 6 years has now been achieved. We are now as good as Spain!

We can now at least console ourselves with the fact we're not as bad as the swiss. EDIT; And seconds after I say that, they score the first of two goals.

Edited by Kryten

Ecuador vs. Honduras, 2-1 respectively... but it should have been 3-2 IMHO.

Many yellow cards, and the refs weren't at their best. Also, much pushing, shoving and even tackling! Take that, American Football!

Also, there was a substitution in overtime, with less than two minutes in the game, interestingly enough.

What an interesting match! I'm surprised only five yellow cards were given. :sticktongue:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.