The Barely Remembered Career

ZeroA4

Should I post the craft files of my career?  

1. 1. Should I post the craft files of my career?

• Yes, please
    • No, your ships are not interesting
    • I don't care

I have been playing a career on KSP for a long time now. I have started it on version 0.23 and tried to use a lot of mods. So it has suffered several problems because of the upgrades of KSP and the mods. Those problems made me stop playing this career several times but I keep coming back. Mostly because I did so many things on this career and starting other career feels empty. But I didn't take notes and I am starting to forget things I done. So this is the reason I am writing this now. To rescue my career from my memory. For this motive this is a different mission report. This is a barely remembered mission report. I am digging info from my memory, chats with friends and things left on the various KSP installs that this career has used. Things like screenshots, flags, craft files. There are things missing. Some missions I remember doing but have no remains left.

Although I find some missions very interesting (at least to me) they may not be of much interest for veterans KSP players. My designs are not very especial per si. I usually make simple, functional and somewhat realistic looking crafts. Some missions are lame. My writing is not great thing too. I and not a native English speaker and I am no Scott Manley.

My posts will be edited as I found more things about the missions.

I want to post the original screenshots from the mission and make new ones of the flags and crafts on VAB and SPH.

So this career started on KSP 0.23 and is now on KSP 0.23.5

I use a lot of mods. Core mods to my career are the ones that made things more realistic and difficult or add things to do.

Core Mods:

Deadly Reentry

FAR

Kethane

RemoteTech

SCANsat

I am now playing with TAC Life Support but i did not started with it... most my manned missions were before it.I started with Interstellar but so far it has not add much except made my mapping satellites collect waste heat without having yet unlocked the part to remove it and it makes some changes to the tech tree. I have temporarilly removed it but I would like to add it back. When I started I didn't know about Better than started manned. I think I would have used it.

Tools Mods

KER

PreciseNode

RCSBuild

Science Library

Science Mods

Beastly Science

DMagic Orbital

KDEX

Panda Jager

Useful mods

6S

B9 (with fixes 1st for 0.23 now for 0.23.5)

Firespitter (I removed a lot of parts)

Infernal Robotics

KAS

KAX (Firespitter dependent)

KSPX

RealChute

Smallparts

Not really useful until now but too cool to leave out

Asteroid Cities

KSO

Outrigger Frame

Space Shuttle Engines

Vanguard EVA Parachutes

Edited by ZeroA4

I develop a nomenclature as I need names for my missions and programs. I Role-play that those were Kerbal words that they choose to name things.

Gremlin - The nickname some engineers gave to the the Command Pod Mk1 capsule. The nickname stuck. Both the capsule and the program is called this way

Gizmo - Generic name for satellite (like Sputnik is just Russian for satellite, those Russians are so creative)

Proba - Prototype (From proof in Latin "probatio")

Salvo - Rescue (Directly from Latin "salvÃ…Â")

Volan - Aircraft (From flying in Latin "volans")

Edited by ZeroA4

The Kerbals started using Command Pod Mk1.

During project some engineers nicknamed it Gremlin, the nickname stuck.

The Command Pod Mk1 is called the Gremlin Capsule and all missions using it are part of the Gremlin Program.

Gremlin Proba

Proba is my Kerbal word for prototype

Rumour says it used a Gremlin Capsule and a solid fuel booster and that it got too fast during ascending and exploded. There is no screenshot or craft file of this mission. Nobody remembers the name of the kerbonaut. Nobody talks about it. The government denies that there was such mission.

No screenshot. no craft file.

Gremlin I

Has original screenshot and craft file.

Commander Lenomone Kerman made the first kermanned flight of a rocket. The rocket reached 12km high and landed within the KSC. Some parts exploded upon landing. Commander Lenomone survived and posed for two photos. Rumour says that Lenomone was told the ship could go to the Mun.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Gremlin II and Gremlin Salvo

Has original screenshot and craft file.

The second Gremlin mission was commanded by Huding Kerman. It was the first time a Kerbal reach space in a sub-orbital flight. On descending it was perceived that it would land on water. The pilot used all electric charge of the capsule and managed to land on land near a small bay 30km south of the KSC. Unfortunately upon land the capsule flipped with the hatch faced down. Without electric charge the crew could not free the hatch. The Mission Control decided to send someone there. They put some fins on a Gremlin capsule and send it there. This special Gremlin was called Gremlin Salvo.

All that drama with Gremlin II was because I wanted a flag to mark the landing site. Gremlin Salvo was a lame unrealistic mission (Ok! It was fun.) But I would pay for my sins...

Gremlin III

No original screenshot. Has craft file.

First serious tentative for orbit. Rocket unstable. Landed on water. No photo. No Flag. No registy of who was the pilot.

Gremlin IV

No original screenshot. No craft file.

Re-fly of the same gremlin III craft with minor adjusts. Rocket still unstable. No photo. No Flag. No registy of who was the pilot.

Gremlin V

Someone remebrered of the fins used on Gremlin Salvo. New 2nd stage with fins and more fuel. Rocket still unstable. No photo. No Flag. No registy of who was the pilot.

Gremlin VI

Basicly a re-fly of the Gremlin V with a diferent lightier antenna with shorter ranger. Rocket still unstable. No photo. No Flag. No registy of who was the pilot.

Gremlin VII

No original screenshot. No craft file.

This was the most important mission of the Gremlin Program. The first kerbal in orbit! It was a historic event! And... I landed on water. No flag. With the excitement the kerbals forget to take photos! The party carried on for days! Everybody got very very drunk. No one remember much after this. Not even the name of the Kerbonaut. It is believed it was Kelrick Kerman. But all he says about is "I can neither confirm nor deny that I was the first in orbit"

Karma is a *****

Edited by ZeroA4
More info

As soon as they got the first probe part the Kerbals wanted to do their first satellite.

Mind you that they didn't have batteries or solar panels yet. The mission needed to put the satellite in orbit before losing signal with the KSC and before running out of electric charge. The Stayputnik internal electric charge!

Gizmo I

Even with so little margin for error the Gizmo I mission managed to put the first satellite on orbit and to make errors. The orbit had a Apoapis too high and a Periapis too low... inside the atmosphere. The Gizmo I became uncontrollable on exhausting it electric charge and exploded upon re-entry after completing just one orbit.

Original craft file. No screenshots.

Gizmo II

The Kerbals knew they could do better. The Apoapis was too high. If they controlled the rocket a little better they could do a proper orbit. But the rocket was too heavy and too powerful. So they made another lighter rocket to launch the same payload and they managed it. Gizmo II archived a stable, almost circular, orbit. It became uncontrollable after exhausting it electric charge.

But it would be useful again... to be continued.

Original craft file. No screenshots.

The Gizmo Program was a short program with only 2 missions. But both were successfully. It created the method to launch a satellite into orbit without needing a relay. But to make proper useful satellites the Kerbals needed batteries and solar panels first and the Gizmo Program did not helped the KSC gain any science points.

Edited by ZeroA4

• 5 weeks later...

With the conclusion of the Gizmo program the Kerbals were left without a goal. Both Gremlin and Gizmo programs ended with success but without gathering much science. The new technologies and equipments developed were not sufficient to a build a manned rocket to the Mun or a useful satellite. What they had were some new science experiments and all those new aerodynamic parts. Several planes prototypes were developed. None had landing gears as that was not researched yet.

VAB Volan Proba

One of the first. Proposed to be build in the VAB. A superficial analysis found several problems and limitations. The project is unbalanced and It would have a limited range. No records exists of it ever being launched. No photos. No debris. Only the project blueprint remain.

SPH Volan Proba

The people on KSC should be spying each other. This very similar project was proposed on the SPH. Has the same problems and limitations and even the same name! No records exists of it ever being launched. No photos. No debris. Only the project blueprint remain.

Volan

The first manned plane proposal. As if the worst problem of the Volan Probas were that they only have energy when the engine is running. No records exists of it ever being launched. No photos. No debris. Only the project blueprint remain.

Proba Volan

It appears that they got tired of trying to balance a minimal plane. Or have realised that to be useful the plane would have to carry scientific equipment. Although no records exists of it ever being launched, It was build and on the runway was discovered that the jet engine do not work that way. No photos. No debris. Only the project blueprint remain.

Volans I

An improved version of the Proba Volan. And by "improved" we mean "more rockets". If the jet engine need some headroom to start. Let's give it that with solid rocket boosters! What could possibly go wrong? The last manned plane proposal of the early volan era. No records exists of it ever being launched. No photos. No debris. Only the project blueprint remain.

Gizmo Volan Proba

a re-purposed unmanned version of the Volans I with a launch tower. Although there is no records of being launched, the next project resolved some of the problems with this design. No photos. No debris. Only the project blueprint remain.

Gizmo Volans

A refinement of the Gizmo Volan Proba. With adjusted solid boosters in a more balanced position and a better staging sequence. The last project of this era. Debris points to at least two launches but there are no official records and no original photos. Only the debris and the project blueprint remain.

The first Volans are not considered a program. None has been officially launched (notwithstanding those debris of Gizmo Volans) nor there is any original photo. With the Gizmo program not generating any science and all this volans not much either the KSC needs a new program badly.

• 1 month later...

By reaching orbit the Gremlin program had achieved its original goal. It has expected to be substituted with something bigger with greater goals. But the budget didn't allow for bigger engines nor bigger capsules. Only some new science experiments. So the program carried on with a new not so great objective of doing sub-orbital flights to gather science.

Gremlin VIII

No original screenshot. Has craft file. Has Flag.

The new objective looks easy. Land on the Nurf Pole. It should be a big enough target. Can't be missed right?

"Here landed the mission that aimed to land on the Nurf Pole." Lenemone Kerman

Gremlin IX

No original screenshot. Has craft file. No flag.

2nd try. Landed on water. Farther away from the ice caps than the last try.

Gremlin X

No original screenshot. Has craft file. Has flag.

3rd try. Landed on grasslands! Even farther away than the last try.

"Landing at the Nurf Pole is harder than we thought." Huding Kerman

Gremlin XI

Has original screenshot. No craft file. Has Flag.

4th try. Landed on grasslands. Somewhat closer to the ice caps than the last try.

How hard can sub-orbital flight be?

"Landing on the Nurf Pole still elude us." Kelrick Kerman

Gremlin XII

Has original screenshot. Has craft file. Has flag.

Finally the Ice Caps!

"Finally we managed to land on the Ice Caps! The number 12 might be lucky after all!" Huding Kerman

Gremlin XIII Desert

Has original screenshot. Has craft file. Has flag.

Hitting the desert was easier!

"13 is not such a bad luck number after all. Perfect mission... err nevermind the landing." Joerod Kerman

Gremlin XIV

No original screenshot. No craft file. No flag. No record of this mission being launched or what was its objectives.

Simply no one remembers it having ever occurred.

Gremlin XV

No original screenshot. Has craft file. No flag. No record of this mission being launched or what was its objectives.

The craft has more boosters but no landing legs. Maybe it was just an unfinished prototype.

Six rockets launches to reach mere two objectives. Two big, visible from space objectives! The Gremlin Program is shut down again before trying to the badlands. Not our brightest moment. On the plus side we now have the science and the technology to finally make some proper satellites!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.