The official unoffical "help a fellow plugin developer" thread

2 hours ago, AliceTheGorgon said:

I don't suppose there's any simple way to display a message box in the middle of the screen with some text and a close button?

PopupDialog.SpawnPopupDialog(new Vector2(0.5f, 0.5f), new Vector2(0.5f, 0.5f), "Title", "Text", "OK", false, HighLogic.UISkin);

Has anyone got any idea of how to make a vessel rendezvous with another vessel, and then set the velocity relative to the target at ~50m/s. Rendezvous in kind of like the in-game cheat rendezvous which sets the vessel 150m away from the target.

Help please?

Edited by JuhaJGamer

On 1/9/2017 at 10:34 AM, JuhaJGamer said:

Has anyone got any idea of how to make a vessel rendezvous with another vessel, and then set the velocity relative to the target at ~50m/s. Rendezvous in kind of like the in-game cheat rendezvous which sets the vessel 150m away from the target.

Now, I don't know much about plugin work (read: I'm a complete neophyte), but it seems like you could do it in two steps:
1. Rendezvous: Either trigger the stock debug tool, or copy the data from one to the other via save-file or vessel data.
2. Velocity: Add a velocity to the vessel. Probably done through the vessel data and some trig.

2 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Now, I don't know much about plugin work (read: I'm a complete neophyte), but it seems like you could do it in two steps:
1. Rendezvous: Either trigger the stock debug tool, or copy the data from one to the other via save-file or vessel data.
2. Velocity: Add a velocity to the vessel. Probably done through the vessel data and some trig.

Ok, these are the two methods that I have tried. Directly editing the "quicksave" file takes time. There could be more vessels of the same name. And after that you must load it which may give you a quick fps-spike. The stock debug tool I cant find. Anywhere. No docs, no classes, no functions, It's like it doesn't exist. Velocity, I learned it actually today so that's great 

4 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

@JuhaJGamer
Some things that might be useful:

Vessel.obt_velocity 
Vessel.SetPosition()
Vessel.GetWorldPos3D()
And the Vector3d and Orbit classes.

Vessel.obt_velocity is of the type Vector3d. for some reason VS2015 wants KSPUtil for this (KSP cant recognise KSPUtil.dll anymore, because it was all moved to Assembly-CSharp.dll)

Just now, JuhaJGamer said:

Vessel.obt_velocity is of the type Vector3d. for some reason VS2015 wants KSPUtil for this (KSP cant recognise KSPUtil.dll anymore, because it was all moved to Assembly-CSharp.dll)

It was moved back into Assembly-CSharp.  Remove the reference to KSPUtil and make sure your reference to Assembly-CSharp points to an up-to-date DLL

3 minutes ago, blowfish said:

It was moved back into Assembly-CSharp.  Remove the reference to KSPUtil and make sure your reference to Assembly-CSharp points to an up-to-date DLL

I have the newest version of KSP and its Assembly-CSharp. VS still insists on the KSPUtil refrence

http://imgur.com/gallery/GJlMq

Edited by JuhaJGamer
Pic

4 minutes ago, JuhaJGamer said:

I have the newest version of KSP and its Assembly-CSharp. VS still insists on the KSPUtil refrence

Might try quitting and re-starting Visual Studio.  Also verify that when you click on the Assembly-CSharp reference, it actually points to where you think it should (it'll show the path in the bottom right pane)

1 minute ago, blowfish said:

Might try quitting and re-starting Visual Studio.  Also verify that when you click on the Assembly-CSharp reference, it actually points to where you think it should (it'll show the path in the bottom right pane)

Tried it. It points to "J:\Ohjelmat\Pelit\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll" which is my KSP Install. It is up-to-date(Steam) and rebooting VS didn't really help. 

4 minutes ago, JuhaJGamer said:

Tried it. It points to "J:\Ohjelmat\Pelit\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll" which is my KSP Install. It is up-to-date(Steam) and rebooting VS didn't really help. 

Okay, maybe try removing the Assembly-CSharp reference and re-adding it.  Also, if you open the .csproj file in a text editor, can you find KSPUtil in it anywhere?

31 minutes ago, blowfish said:

Okay, maybe try removing the Assembly-CSharp reference and re-adding it.  Also, if you open the .csproj file in a text editor, can you find KSPUtil in it anywhere?

None of this helped, even rebooted my computer(dont know why I did that tbh.)

hello?

Have you tried right clicking on that dependency and clicking "remove"?

In a separate topic, I'm trying to help upgrade RP-0.  Looks like there was some old code like this:

protected double ResourceRate()
        {
            if (part.Modules.Contains("ModuleCommand"))
            {
                ModuleCommand mC = (ModuleCommand)part.Modules["ModuleCommand"];
                foreach(ModuleResource r in mC.inputResources)
                {
                    if(r.name.Equals("ElectricCharge"))
                    {
                        commandChargeResource = r;
                        if (enabledkW < 0)
                            enabledkW = (float)r.rate;
                        return r.rate;
                    }
                }
            }
            return -1;
        }

However, ModuleCommand no longer has inputResources.  I can do mC.part.resources, and filter where mC.flowMode is FlowMode.In, but 1) I don't know if that's the right way to do it, and 2) those objects still don't have a rate field.  Suggestions?

12 hours ago, rsparkyc said:

However, ModuleCommand no longer has inputResources.  I can do mC.part.resources, and filter where mC.flowMode is FlowMode.In, but 1) I don't know if that's the right way to do it, and 2) those objects still don't have a rate field.  Suggestions?

The ModuleCommand has a resHandler of type ModuleResourceHandler. It contains the inputResources.

So :

{
            ModuleCommand mC = part.FindModuleImplementing<ModuleCommand>()
            if (mC != null)
            {                
                foreach(ModuleResource r in mC.resHandler.inputResources)
                {
                    if(r.id == PartResourceLibrary.ElectricityHashcode)
                    {
                        if (enabledkW < 0)
                        return r.rate;
                    }
                }
            }
            return -1;
        }

5 hours ago, sarbian said:

The ModuleCommand has a resHandler of type ModuleResourceHandler. It contains the inputResources.

So :

{
            ModuleCommand mC = part.FindModuleImplementing<ModuleCommand>()
            if (mC != null)
            {                
                foreach(ModuleResource r in mC.resHandler.inputResources)
                {
                    if(r.id == PartResourceLibrary.ElectricityHashcode)
                    {
                        if (enabledkW < 0)
                        return r.rate;
                    }
                }
            }
            return -1;
        }

Gotta love one line changes :)

Are Bill and Val hardcoded into KSP somewhere? I'm trying to update KerbalRenamer, but get a NRE after I try to update their names:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at regexKSP.IconChanger.changeKerbalIcon (KSP.UI.CrewListItem cic) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at regexKSP.IconChanger.BuildCrewAssignmentDialogue () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at CallbackUtil+<DelayedCallback>c__IteratorEC.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

You can see what I'm doing here: https://github.com/rsparkyc/KerbalRenamer/blob/JebBillBobValRename/Renamer/Renamer.cs#L137

Hello,

I'm new to ksp modding, but have done quite a lot of personnal mods in other games, in various technical environnements.

A simple question : are there some ground explanations on the principles behind ksp code?

Obviously, in modding there is always some thinking and trial-and-error needed find things out (and forum help :p), especially for the most obscure and rarely used stuff.

On the other hand, I spent time digging in the various classes in Assembly-CSharp.dll, https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/api/, the wiki, ... and I found no entry-level explanations.

For example : are there any high level explanations of the logic of the flight model ?

Vessel class has quite a lot of 3dvectors (acceleration, gravitic_acceleration, angular velocity, east...), some are probably computed from others and / or taking other factors into account (atmosphere and so on).

Obviously, describing the complete logic is a daunting (if not impossible without the source code) task, yet, I'm sure the community has a working knowledge of it.

I don't mind doing research, for now I understand already quite a lot (not counting the flight model :p), there are a lot of mod sources code available to help, but if something exist, it would help.

1 hour ago, JeanLucJ said:

For example : are there any high level explanations of the logic of the flight model ?

Vessel class has quite a lot of 3dvectors (acceleration, gravitic_acceleration, angular velocity, east...), some are probably computed from others and / or taking other factors into account (atmosphere and so on).

No, there are no documentation of the inner working of most stuff. The best doc is usually the community API wiki, a few post laying around and IRC talks.

As for your example most of the flight model is done in the FlightIntegrator

I have a trouble updating the contents of a PopupDialog.

I have a PopupDialog monitorWindow field in my class, which I create and fill with a MultiOptionDialog. It works ok. Then I use this code in Update():

if ((monitorWindow != null) && (monitorWindow.isActiveAndEnabled))
	monitorWindow.dialogToDisplay = new MultiOptionDialog("a dynamically generated message here", "Health Monitor", HighLogic.UISkin);

However, the message doesn't update on-screen. I don't see monitorWindow.Update() or anything like that. I could destroy the window and create a new one, but doing it every tick or every frame sounds bad.

UPD: The only way to update the popup window I found is to destroy and draw it again every Update. But then it becomes undraggable because it always spawns in the same location and I couldn't figure out how to access window's position.

Edited by garwel