Fastest Surfumnavigation of Kerbin

"Surfumnavigation" = Surface+Circumnavigation

Hi, folks! You may remember me from Kerbaltek Aerospace - the home of HyperEdit..., or not.

I did a quick search and didn't find a challenge specifically for stock craft getting around the surface of Kerbin, so here's mine. If I missed another, please lemme know. Also, tell me if and why this isn't good or whatever.

Rules (input welcome):

1. Valid submissions will include:

1. A direct download link to the actual craft file used for the attempt. This challenge is all about ship-building skills.
    2. A departure screenshot showing the entire ship on the KSC runway with the MET clock past zero.
    3. A midway screenshot showing the entire ship passing the large straights between continents (anyone know the names?).
    4. An arrival screenshot showing the entire ship on the runway with the surface speed at zero.
    5. An arrival screenshot of the flight log, showing distance traveled to be at least 3770km.

6. Surface only.
      1. No lift-generating parts that aren't positioned vertically or otherwise unable to create lift.
      2. Ship must contact the surface most of the time.

[*]Stock only, except for guidance.

1. No add-ons that affect performance.
  2. Guidance computers are allowed - like MechJeb.

[*]Take one live Kerbal all the way around Kerbin.

[*]No refueling.

[*]No parts can be dropped, lost, or added.

[*]Depart from and arrive at the KSC runway, coming to a full stop.

I look forward to seeing the creations built for this, and I wish everyone luck!

Edited by Ezriilc
Updated rules and title.

A word of caution to anyone trying this, without refueling you're looking at 20+ hours assuming a constant speed of 60m/s which is pretty fast for a ship large enough to carry the fuel. I recommend a boat with wheels, rather than a rover that can float, otherwise you're going to be upwards of 50 hours. Kerbin has a circumference of 3770km, so bear that in mind before you commit to this challenge. Also, action group your engines so that the engines on the right side can be toggled independently of the engines on the left, that will help a lot with steering such a gargantuan beast.

Edited by Himynameisjake

A word of caution to anyone trying this, without refueling you're looking at 20+ hours assuming a constant speed of 60km/s which is pretty fast for a ship large enough to carry the fuel. I recommend a boat with wheels, rather than a rover that can float, otherwise you're going to be upwards of 50 hours. Kerbin has a circumference of 3770km, so bear that in mind before you commit to this challenge. Also, action group your engines so that the engines on the right side can be toggled independently of the engines on the left, that will help a lot with steering such a gargantuan beast.

All excellent advice! Time warp helps a great deal... if the ship can handle it.

I think you mean "60m/s" - meters, not kilometers. My current ship goes about that, maybe a bit faster :sealed:.

A word of caution to anyone trying this, without refueling you're looking at 20+ hours assuming a constant speed of 60km/s which is pretty fast for a ship large enough to carry the fuel.

Yeah, I'll say.

I suppose that time-warp is kinda required for this one. I guess I assumed that.

Are there any size limitations? Is there any particular direction we need to go, or do we just need to cover a minimum of "3770km ground distance covered" in the flight log?

That's a good question, and one I put to you. What makes more sense? I thought it might be cool to just require the pilot to pass through a certain target area near the opposite side of the planet from the KSC, but then couldn't think of a way to verify that beyond the honor system.

I guess ground distance covered is the easiest, yea?

EDIT: What about both? A screenshot of the ship passing the large straights between continents (don't know the names), and one of the flight log showing at least 3770km or whatever. Sound good?

Edited by Ezriilc

That's a good question, and one I put to you. What makes more sense? I thought it might be cool to just require the pilot to pass through a certain target area near the opposite side of the planet from the KSC, but then couldn't think of a way to verify that beyond the honor system.

I guess ground distance covered is the easiest, yea?

EDIT: What about both? A screenshot of the ship passing the large straights between continents (don't know the names), and one of the flight log showing at least 3770km or whatever. Sound good?

Should probably be more specific, since people will just find a flat bit of ground and automate something to go that distance. In your challenge post it says circumnavigation - which means around the planet. I think a simple heading straight off the runway, with deviations only allowed to avoid physical obstructions that are impassible like steep mountains. You should probably specify if the vessel can intentionally lose/gain parts along the way.

Should probably be more specific, since people will just find a flat bit of ground and automate something to go that distance.
Thus the addition of a screenie from the straights, but I'm also expecting to rely on honesty somewhat. There's no reward here other than personal pride, so cheating is kinda silly.

EDIT: Even the flat-ground automation you speak of would be interesting to me. Anything that can go a long distance really fast sorta fits the bill, but you do make a point.

I think a simple heading straight off the runway, with deviations only allowed to avoid physical obstructions that are impassible like steep mountains.
How would we verify all that?
You should probably specify if the vessel can intentionally lose/gain parts along the way.
I think rule 5, "No refueling", covers it - no?

EDIT: No. I agree that should be more specific. No parts lost or gained.

Thanks for the input! I'm hip to whatever changes make it fair and fun.

Edited by Ezriilc

I've noticed that the MET clock doesn't start until the ship leaves the ground - either by getting some air, or entering the water. Does anyone know a good way to start the MET without leaving the runway or cycling the landing gear? My gear gets stuck in the runway when I cycle it.

I think we should also require a departure screenshot on the runway with the MET past zero, or something to show that it was started before leaving the runway.

I think rule 5, "No refueling", covers it - no?

EDIT: No. I agree that should be more specific. No parts lost or gained.

Hmm so that means that you can't have drop tanks or stages now. I saw a boat a while back on the forums that did a circumnavigation, it had 6 hulls and asparagus-style fuel lines so it would drop the outer two when they ran out.

I've noticed that the MET clock doesn't start until the ship leaves the ground - either by getting some air, or entering the water. Does anyone know a good way to start the MET without leaving the runway or cycling the landing gear? My gear gets stuck in the runway when I cycle it.

I think we should also require a departure screenshot on the runway with the MET past zero, or something to show that it was started before leaving the runway.

You can start it on launch clamps a few centimeters off the ground, then decouple to start the timer? But only if that doesn't count for the new "no parts lost or gained" rule.

Hmm so that means that you can't have drop tanks or stages now. I saw a boat a while back on the forums that did a circumnavigation, it had 6 hulls and asparagus-style fuel lines so it would drop the outer two when they ran out.
Yea, I thought about that. My original idea pictured a single-stage ship, and that's a bit tougher to build, so... cool?
You can start it on launch clamps a few centimeters off the ground, then decouple to start the timer? But only if that doesn't count for the new "no parts lost or gained" rule.
Good idea. I don't think launch clamps should count as lost parts.

Sorry, 60m/s is fast?

Am I the only one here that's seen the landblaster? 120m/s+, look it up on youtube

No, 60 isn't fast for a small, short-range speed-demon. But it's pretty fast for the beginning of a surfumnavigation trip. ;)

EDIT: I'm currently doing a brisk 74.9m/s as I near the far side of the planet at the straights.

Also, tempting to enter this, even if it IS going to take ages
Please do - I need some competition. Edited by Ezriilc

I'd be shocked if anyone attempted this solely for the challenge as it's rather time consuming.

So I'm learning. Even with the time-warp-4x-tolerant "Kerbaltek - CircNav", it still takes many hours per attempt, and I technically haven't made it even once yet.

My thing is all-stock ship building, so I'm looking for challenges that test those abilities. This one seemed like a good test, in theory anyway. I'll think of something else - maybe.

I have a pretty good idea how I can do this, I may try it this weekend. I could always take my paddle-boat, but it only does about 15 m/s on land and I'm lucky if it gets 4 m/s in the water. I have an idea for something that should be able to do at least a continuous 50 m/s the whole way.

I have a pretty good idea how I can do this, I may try it this weekend. I could always take my paddle-boat, but it only does about 15 m/s on land and I'm lucky if it gets 4 m/s in the water. I have an idea for something that should be able to do at least a continuous 50 m/s the whole way.

Please feel free to steal ideas from my own ships which can be found on the Kerbaltek site, in The Craft Kitchen.

For instance, the "Kerbaltek - CircNav" carries enough fuel to get around the planet (theoretically), and she does 60 m/s right out of the gate. She quickly speeds up as the fuel gets burned off, and eventually goes well over 100. "Kerbaltek - Surfex" is a pretty good ground machine, and may help you there. With other craft, I've been able to get speeds around 75 m/s on surprisingly rough terrain, with the proper suspension, but amphibious is a slightly different matter and this challenge is about efficiency.

My experience tells me that Radial Air Intakes are best for floatation, because they can handle seriously heavy impacts; they provide good buoyancy; and of course they feed air to the engine. Surfex was inspired by their unique properties, and is entirely possible because they allow it to land on water.

Good luck and show us what you come up with! Don't forget, we want to see your .craft file.

I keep thinking about attempting something like this. I did the Polar Challenge which was a land vehicle to the North Pole.

For starting the game clock, you can also run your craft off the edge of the runway fast enough, it also starts the clock.

I wanted to ask about the final picture though. From my experience with the Polar Challenge, if you save/load at all it resets the stat screen (unless they changed it in 0.23.5). Is the intent of the challenge to do it all in one sitting? Because my Polar Challenge took 12 game hours. Even at 3-4x, it took me a while and I couldn't do it all in one straight shot.

Also I'm thinking about building a boat for this one. Are boats allowed? Or only ground vehicles? And I saw the "no adding or losing parts," but what about refuelling?

Thanks!

-Claw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.