How did you first Mün landing go?

Hades514

As the title says, how did it go?

I'll start off with mine. Mine went horrible. I was descending with the poodle engine and the 2 man lander can. The poodle smashed into the ground blowing my ship to pieces. The lander can had a Rockomax Coupler (The one that's small at the top and big at the bottom) and a parachute. The rest of the lander is scattered around the capsule.

So, how about yours?

Yeah not so well, I had built a rudimentary lander with a horizontally based fuel tank as the basis, looked similar to a millipede. My vertical velocity was fine, but I was traveling along the surface at about 40m/s when one of the landing legs clipped a bulge and sent me spinning in a cartwheeling effect. lost a few legs and the engine so poor Jeb was stranded.

I quickly built up the tech I needed to send out a rescue mission. And he is now safely at home. Will never forget the thrill of the first landing though,

Well, the first Mun trip (...in 0.12?) had no landing provisions, and was just lowering my orbit until I hit a hill at ~500 m/s.

For the first real landing (in 0.13, natch)? Mis-estimated the suicide burn requirements, and impacted the surface at ~100-200 m/s.

The first successful landing saw a similar death upon Kerbin return. (The craft was under-chuted)

Later missions were generally without incident. (Provided I didn't make the mistake of dropping down on the night side)

It was right after the Mun was added. No stock landing gear, used winglets instead. No maneuver nodes. No quicksave/quickload. Each attempt (and there were many) required a new launch, transfer and deorbit. When I finally stuck the landing I was exhilarated. I don't think I've had quite the same sense of accomplishment from doing anything else since.

Pretty much perfect, as I took too much fuel so I could be very cautious, so I think I landed at about 1.5m/s. The problem was on the way back, as I didn't place any solar panels on the craft and ran out of battery. I had to make a grabber ship with girders and landing gear to go get it and bring it back to Kerbin :)

I know that I managed to land upright after several lethal crashings. It was before there was EVA.

But I didn't find any picture of it. Sadly.

But because of this threat I turned on my old laptop and found pictures of my early landings.

hzqO8Qh.png

IXShCnz.png

UsX7Eud.png

But as a bonus another milestone. My first ever rendezvous:

0TrnkpM.png

hc5sfcl.png

I know there is Mechjeb on the crafts. but it was before it could do automatic rendezvous.

Edited by blspblackdeath

My story story is strange.

I vaguely remember sending out an Apollo-style spacecraft to land on the Mun. I believe the landing was a success, but after that all I can remember is that the crew was killed during reentry. It must have happened, but if it did, why can I hardly remember it?

Oh well, the best first landing I have proof of happening was somewhat of a success. I was desperate to get a Kerbal on the Mun, so I literally took just a Mark 1 pod, a quarter-sized Rockmax tank and a nuclear engine to land. The tank exploded, and Bill was stranded there for months until I finally got around to sending a rescue mission, which ended when Bill accidentally flew into a hill.

My first attempt resulted in me running out of fuel, doing a flyby, and being flung into solar orbit (which, as I recall, they are still in)

My second attempt resulted in a collision. EVERYTHING exploded. Huge milestone, at least, "Getting something to hit something other than kerbin"

My third, (or fourth, can't remember) attempt resulted in a safe landing, with no fuel left, I rescued the kerbal later on, when I had learnt more things, such as "Learning to not strand your kerbals for 3 years on a moon" and other exciting things like "Packing more thrust onto something so it can actually return"

(if only I had known minmus had less gravity, then I would have tried that first..)

My first mun landing was.... surprisingly uneventful. I had made about ten orbital flights around Kerbin, from there went straight for a mun landing vs a flyby. built a rigid legged probe, landed fine. second landing had an unmanned rover. third flight was my first manned landing (and return).

Didn't get a screenshot of my first landing, but here's the second landing with the rover. Looking back, its funny how inefficient my beginning designs were.

screenshot0_zpsddf1a084.png

First Manned landing (Bill Kerman)

screenshot38_zpsbd68a2cb.png

Edited by Werwolf

If I remember correctly my first attempted landing was in the tutorial. Crashed horribly.

My first "real" landing ended up with me using waaaaaaaaay too much fuel on the powered landing (had to try like 3-4 times because I made a poor lander design which kept falling over) resulting in not being able to make it back to Kerbin. Terminated the flight, terminated the flag because I wanted my Mün landing to be a proper one dammit!

third attempt was the successful one. Made it there and back again with a full load of science.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.