How did you first Mün landing go?

Hades514

Unnamed probe. Simple probe core with jetisonable decent stage and RCS tanks/thrusters. Success (followed tutorial online)

Muna 1, Manned attempt. Apollo style. Failure, inadiquate fuel. Lander crashed on surface.

LOONY 9 and 10 landing practice, success.

KURVEYOR 1 THRU 8 Unmanned. 6 Successes, 2 failures. First probes with science aboard. Later probes used mechjeb for landing, which resulted in one failure. The other failure was under manual control. These used the real surveyor flight plan, ascent to parking orbit then straight to moon's surface.

Muna 2, Manned. Apollo style. Failure, inadequate fuel. Lander soft landed and returned/docked with CSM, could not return to kerbin.

Diana 1, Manned. UR700 style. Aborted due to tipping over.

Diana 2, Manned. UR700 style with legs on outriggers. Success, precarious landing, stabilized by folding one leg back in, and locking the suspension on the opposite side.

Diana landings suspended.

SPARTA (Science Platform and Automated Roving Terrain Accessment) probes launched with rover to hunt for level ground to land on.

Diana launches resumed.

Diana 3 and 4 success.

Surprisingly well, all things considered. My first Mun orbiter mission didn't go so well, as I didn't have enough fuel to get back, and my Mun impactor probe managed to miss entirely, but when I finally got around to doing a landing mission it actually went smoothly. I wasn't using any mods or guides, so I did have to figure out most of it as I went along, but I was fairly lucky. Of course, the Mun was flatter then :P

OMG, I have found my first mun landing!!!

I searched for it in my old KSP folders and didn't find it because I made a screenshot with windows. Because I didn't know how to do a screen in KSP back then.

So without further ado:

Sunday March 18th 2012

jJJps1J.jpg

By the way this is how we launched planes back in the days. ;-)

J0XPLwk.png

Edited by blspblackdeath

My first Mun landing was kind of a disaster because I didn't bring a parachute. I was really happy when I landed but when I realised I forgot the parachute I went back into orbit and sent a rescue craft. But they were in 90 degree inclination and i had no idea how to redezvous. So I crashed them. Then I stopped playing KSP for a while and watched Scott Manley play instead of me for months. My second Mun landing was Apollo style- with an orbiter, undocking, docking etc. It was amazing.

I think that I got it touched it down in one piece (couple of years ago now) but because it was fairly tall (massively overcompensated) and with the old legs always getting caught on the terrain it ended up tipping over.

That didn't matter though. Just getting down onto the surface was enough after hours of wondering how the hell I was going to manage a landing.

1st mun landing? crash and burn. I was watching the stock altimeter which shows ASL, not realizing my true altitude was off by 2km. to add insult to injury, I had surface info window from mechjeb open at the time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.