Who was the first Kerbal/Robot that got to the moon in your game?

RussianCactus

Mine was rather special... Has a loong story to it...

At first, I was trying to design a ship that could get me to the mun, and was not very successful with it. 3 fails in succession, and I quit trying. My friend, at the time, was into designing robots/drones to go around Kerbal. So I got into it, and designed a "Hover drone" which I used to get the the abandoned airport.

After a while, drone designing really did not suit me, and my friend was always able to be more successful that me. So, I got back into Mun expedition, however this time, I asked my friend to design a compact drone to suit a small rocket.

The second i looked at it, I knew it was it. It was a tiny, drone, suited for many different things. 4 wheels, a battery backpack, and solar panels diagonally attached to the back ram of the wheels.

I immediately got to designing a landing craft for the drone, and it worked out great, and for once, I beat my friend at the design.

Next, came the rocket design, and that's really when my friend wanted to challenge me in the race to the mun. Neither of us ever got there, however he was the closest to getting to it (Crashed at 4000m/s)

My rocket was a fancy, drone carrier, and consisted of 4 drone slots. I planned to get close to the muns orbit, and deploy the "Hover drone" to mark out the landing area; however it failed miserably due to the lack of power. So, all I had left at the time, is 1 landing drone.

My friend at the time, was designing a carrier for a rather huge drone. However, due to the carrying problems, he had to abandon the idea and focus on getting a Kerbal on to the mun. This gave me an even bigger time advantage over him.

As he was designing the Mun Lander, I was launching my last drone into space. I took it very slowly, and eventually, got a feeling that I might actually make it. Eventually, after 15 minutes of slow approach, I managed to land the Drone Carrier, deploy the Scout Drone, and for once, beat my friend at KSP.

He made it the next day.

So, the "Scout Drone" was the first operational thing I managed to get onto Mun.

The original three, Jeb, Bob and Bill in the demo from the game (Mun was introduced at that time).

I wanted to have an rocket similar to the R7-design. At last it was big, clumsy and wobbeling like hell. But - i got to mun and back.

I first landed the aptly-named Kerbal Munar Rover in the crater basin at the equator, where a Mun arch was located nearby - in fact, during the landing, the skycrane actually flew right underneath the arch to touchdown.

Around forty Kerbin days later, Jeb/Bob/Bill landed nearby, performed some repairs and upgrades to the Rover, poked around a bit and went home.

The first one who got out and lived was Melmy Kerman.

The first ones who touched it sort of were Jeb, Bob and Bill in the 0.13 demo. The "touch" lasted less than a second.....

Though I like to think of those pre-eva enabled kerbals as bobble-headed-dummies.

Jeb, of course. First on Mun, first on Duna in the next mission, and first on Minmus in the one after that. Also first on Ike, Gilly, Pol, Val, Bop, Laythe, Tylo, Dres, Eeloo, Moho, and Eve thanks to my Grand Tour. Plus, he was the first to land on an asteroid. The only things he's never landed on are Jool and the Sun, and he's working on those. (Landing on the Sun is easy, you just need to go at night.)

Yes, amazingly this means that Jeb never died, even on two separate Eve landings. Everyone else did at one point or another, but Jeb is utterly invincible in my world. It's reached the point where all I design are 1-man ships (other than my space stations, I mean), since there's no point sending anyone but him.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.