How much fuel do you have floating above Kerbin?

Tripzter

Off the top of my head, about 1 1/2 14400 tanks of LFO and 2 and a bit big tanks of monoprop left on my station, plus a jumbo tank of kethane and two Near Future octo-girder tanks of xenon (130,000 units) on a ship docked to it. Normal station capacities are 1 14400 tank (but I have a broken transfer stage providing extra fuel storage atm) and 4 big monoprop tanks.

I've also got this that I chucked into LKO for the sheer hell of it

14220239941_00a110f0e3_o.png

Yes, that's one and three quarter million units of xenon.

you guys are stunning! Now, if Whackjob sir, if you come across this thread, I challenge you to, in one weeks time <from when/if you see my challenge or hear of it/IF you hear of it> to launch into LKO between 71km and 300km as many of the new ARM SLS large tanks as you can and show us that the kraken serves YOU!

Ugh, enough Whackjob worship for one day. Give credit where it is due. Good job OP... and cantab ,holy crap at the Xenon.... LOL

i gave credit to all who posted above me, then challenged the mighty Whackjob, because this strikes me as something Whackjob can only take to a Whackjobian level of extreme, and I for one would love to see it!

Well this is his latest project: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/51828-What-s-the-highest-mass-you-ve-ever-put-into-Kerbin-orbit-with-a-single-ship?p=1224648&viewfull=1#post1224648

When it's full (if it's not already), that's just over 5000 tons of LFO. And I believe the project is to combine several of those sections and land the tower somewhere.

i gave credit to all who posted above me, then challenged the mighty Whackjob, because this strikes me as something Whackjob can only take to a Whackjobian level of extreme, and I for one would love to see it!

I suppose I could. Give me a few days.

I have one gray tank the size of half of the orange one, on my station. Thats for interplanetary purposes usually.

A refueling station above kerbin is useless, because you'd probably spent 1/2 or 1/4 of the fuel docking with it, than you'd need for your trip.

Gotta coma. Alamo, your challenge had an interesting side effect. I came across an engineering issue, which I've apparently solved. I've got stacks of the largest tanks about 2xVAB high. The problem was I couldn't make an engine cluster powerful enough to lift it. So I had to invent a new kind.

By rotating engines inside the lowermost tank, I can fit clusters in and not have it stick fifty feet outside. That's nothing new, I've done that before. But previously, if I used more than six LFB KR-1x2s, the Kraken would shred it the second physics hit. Not to mention the difficulty of running fuel lines from the tank they're inside to them. But I've solved it.

sAwEdBd.png

THAT, my new friend, is my new 12x cluster engine. There are twelve LFB KR-1x2s inside that tank, delivering a thrust of 24,000.

#EDIT: Yeah, why not. Let's take it to the logical next step. Here is one with double that:

6QbImsq.png

24x LFB KR-1x2 for a thrust of 48,000. But does she fly?

wtgDonx.png

omg

Edited by Whackjob

Any idea how much deltaV it has? To make it "really kerbal" I think you need to stick 7 of them together in asparagus config... ;)

But that's merely Kerbal: to be Whackjovian, it must lift that Asparagus launcher to orbit.

-Duxwing

The long thin tank stack by the OP was pretty cool I'd always wondered if it would be possible to build something like that verticaly on Minmus. You'd have to put on each new segment mostly empty then fill them once stacked.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.