Multiplayer time warp theory

Why can't you ghost into the future? If I'm in orbit around duna at 100 km by 120 km, the game can calculate where I would be in x amount of time assuming the player performs no actions between now and then that's what it has to do then just display a ghosted version of the ship (slightly transparent maybe) at that time and place. Honestly it's exactually what KMP does, or did more accuratly. It's been done.

Bolded section added by me.

You can't predict what a player may or may not do even an instant into the future, so there's no point trying to place a ghost of their ship several minutes our hours or days into the future. You would end up with ships warping all over the place, appearing and disappearing, shifting positions by anywhere from fractions of a millimeter to millions of kilometers. Map view would become filled with useless flickering noise. Flight view would be a psychadelic mess. it would be like playing a MMORPG in which every other player has a ping of anywhere from several minutes to several years.

You can, on the other hand, ghost their position in the past, since that never changes.

Edited by allmhuran

• 7 years later...