Devnote Tuesdays: The Temporary "First Contract Edition" Thread

SQUAD

Will we have to purchase another copy in order to get 64-bit on Windows? Can I obtain a Linux copy without purchasing another if I already own a Windows copy?

If you bought through the KSP Store you have access to all versions already. Not sure about Steam.

If you bought through the KSP Store you have access to all versions already. Not sure about Steam.

You can download Steam versions on any type of computer it supports. I'm guessing the 64-bit will be a Steam beta version, sort-of like the last version of KSP is always available on Steam as a beta.

Mike (Mu): [...] The build has been very stable and so have been implementing some of the modders’ requests and making things a little prettier.

I just wanted to highlight this briefly. Ted has been collecting feature requests from modders, and it's fantastic to have them implemented. It makes it a lot easier for us to do what we love. Those who know me know I don't give praise freely, :wink: but I'm quite happy about this.

I just wanted to highlight this briefly. Ted has been collecting feature requests from modders, and it's fantastic to have them implemented. It makes it a lot easier for us to do what we love. Those who know me know I don't give praise freely, :wink: but I'm quite happy about this.

Could it be.. the Module-That-Must-Not-Be-Named problem has been.. dare I say it, solved?

Could it be.. the Module-That-Must-Not-Be-Named problem has been.. dare I say it, solved?

We asked about this a patch or two ago, and we'd hoped that the solution would involve automatic dependency resolution. The solution Mu implemented will resolve dependency load order, but it requires you to manually declare your dependencies and add an attribute to assemblies that are referenced. (Note that this can't be done with third-party dependencies.) It also adds versioning on top, which I think has hurt adoption of the system. The .NET framework already has an assembly naming, versioning and dependency resolution system, so I'm not sure why Mu went with the manual approach. I'm interested in this situation being improved, but as far as I know, nobody's asked for it in 0.24. There are a few other plugin loading issues that I'm told have been fixed, however.

Will the x64 be just the same thing found in the forum thread (released as-is), or will it be tested and at least somewhat debugged before release?

I think it will probably be a lot more stable than the one on the forum.

Yes! Super excited for this update, I've haven't been playing KSP much recently because I was waiting for the update to start a new career. This will be really fun! 64 bits, new aesthetic improvements, modders' requests, contracts, more polished UI -- this will be great. Even though KSP has been my favorite game, of uh, all time, since 0.18, seeing it go through development and becoming even awesome-er is a dream come true for both me and obviously the KSP development team.

Could we get more news about the affiliate program, though? I made an account on the site that we were linked to but I'm not sure what's happening since I made the account. Thanks!

Yes! Super excited for this update.... <snip>

Could we get more news about the affiliate program, though? I made an account on the site that we were linked to but I'm not sure what's happening since I made the account. Thanks!

I want to echo this. More info on the affiliate program, please! :)

I'm so happy to see how things are progressing. Also, I chose the name Space Tycoon for 0.24, since I'm sort of a functional person, and a Space Tycoon is precisely what KSP will be with this new update.

Yeah I was expecting info on that this week as well. Though I hadn't even seen a link to a site. Happen to remember it?

Yeah I was expecting info on that this week as well. Though I hadn't even seen a link to a site. Happen to remember it?

"Bob (Calisker): Recovering from a week in LA at E3 - always a great show and opportunity to see what the industry is excited about. Can’t say I was surprised to see co-op getting a lot of love with new games. Nassault is working on a video but I don’t have much to say about it just yet. Last but not least, if you’re interested in participating in our affiliate program to support your amazing video content for KSP, you can sign up here: http://goo.gl/WKHE8X."

Here you go, I pasted it from last week's devnotes. :)

http://goo.gl/WKHE8X

wait… so no 64 bit for mac users? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO;.;

Don't worry, you Mac and Linux users will get it eventually. (most likely) ;-)

I want to echo this. More info on the affiliate program, please! :)

Also, I chose the name Space Tycoon for 0.24, since I'm sort of a functional person, and a Space Tycoon is precisely what KSP will be with this new update.

I chose "Space Tycoon" as well, it has a nice ring and it fits the KSP theme well.

Edited by Woopert

Actually yeah any word on 64-bit and steam users?

The terms under which I bought KSP state that I am entitled to all future updates that are released for the game (that aren't expansions or sequels). If 0.24, an update, contains a 64-bit version for Windows, my interpretation is that I am entitled to receive a copy of it for free. So, regardless of whether or not Steam supports 64-bit games natively (though I'm pretty certain it does; the *client* is 32-bit, but it definitely should support 64-bit games), Squad needs to provide a way for me to access the x64 version. I know the terms seem to be most often used here to explain why Squad doesn't have to release any sort of updates ever, nor interact with the community to any degree, nor give me all expansions and sequels for free, but there are things that I *am* entitled to: Squad can't release x64 for Windows without somehow giving me (and other Steam users) a copy.

Edited by cpast

Heh, 64 bit is announced after a modder enables it. The irony​.

Also, I'd like to see word from devs on whither or not we're going to have to re-purchase KSP to get access to x64 bit. This is concerning.

Edited by Ravyne
additional question

Also, I'd like to see word from devs on whither or not we're going to have to re-purchase KSP to get access to x64 bit. This is concerning.

Why would anyone assume we would have to re-purchase it? There's no reason why a 64bit exe couldn't be released on Steam as a beta version.

As I mentioned in my post, I'm pretty sure Squad is legally obligated to give all current KSP owners free access to a 64-bit build.

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to assume you'll have to pay. It's as likely as them charging you again for 0.24

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.