[v0.90/v.25]Transparent Pods v1.2.2 for KSP v0.90

nli2work

Hi nli2work,

Your plane mod is really amazing.

I started a new project named "Propellers in Space"

This is a preliminary result of my studies:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The shuttle/plane works stock aerodynamics with DRE installed (from LKO with a shallow reentry path)

Edited by Kirondoll

...and now I'm just noticing the glow effects and moving parts on the engine models. Stellar work. ;) Do only the big engines overheat?

The only possible comments I could make as far as criticism is that the parts don't seem to snap together well in the SPH (the cone and tapered tank start out 'backward' ?). I'm not sure what dynamics affect part snapping / orientation.

The cockpit also seems quite fragile compared to others (lots of utter destruction on failed takeoff rolls where I would usually wind up with a lone cockpit on the runway), but that could also fit with the part theme.

You want them to overheat more often?? LOL. I was afraid I had the heat production too high on them

I'll look at the orientation for next update. I don't think the placement in SPH matters much for FAR/NEAR, the aerodynamic mesh appears to be generated during load after SPH. Dyanimc pressure from what I can tell is a global setting in FAR. Haven't had the chance to experiment with different settings yet.

Cockpit fragility is probably over sight on my part. I'll fix it for next update.

i have an idea about an high altitude turboprop engine:

a normal turboprop is powered by a normal jetrubine, which works on lower power lvls and wit ha gear, the force is trasmitted to the prop. the high altitude turboprop would have two modes: normal turboprop mode to get to 10 (or even 15) kilometers altitude, then it switches to jettrubine only and the fans stop spinning.

i don't know if it is possible to do such animation....

with normal mode, the thrust and fuel consumption is low, on jetmode, the thurst gets higher, but so the need for fuel.

Yeah that's same idea as I've been toying with. I'm figuring out ways I can get the fan blades to stop spinning when switched to different engine mode. If that's not possible within FS I can still figure out some ways around it in design, but would have to sacrifice some visuals. I'd rather not do that if possible.

@nli2work: hah -- nah not so much, but it's fun to have to monitor the throttle and not just throw it on 100% all the time.

Quick question about one of your sample models, the Sanka mkB: What are pair of dark packs just behind the cockpit (above the air intakes). I don't recognize them.

OEGaHMH.jpg

Edited by Beetlecat

pair of dark packs just behind the cockpit

KW batteries ;)

@nil2worn

Those black, "mean", "rough" (i dont know! xD) parts are just too cool, so unlike elaborate spacey-sciencey stock style :D

I only imagine how badass sounds those rotors have to make

KW batteries ;)

Cheers! Of course I recognize them immediately once you mention it.

[Edit] I built a copy of the plane shown above, and wow is that fun to fly! :) A bit of tweaking the weight/surfaces to get proper performance with FAR, but it behaves like a champ. I can even almost land it.

Trouble with the nose gear steering, however. I'll play with it later to see if I can find a conflict culprit.

Edited by Beetlecat
Further praise.

Stupid question I have, but what is the "com/threads/24551"]Requires Firespitter!" text in the OP for? You can click on it, but it just links you to a blank tab. Nice mods, btw! :)

sorry; bad formatting. :) requires Firespitter plugin, as it's not bundled with Retro Future.

i have an idea about an high altitude turboprop engine:

a normal turboprop is powered by a normal jetrubine, which works on lower power lvls and wit ha gear, the force is trasmitted to the prop. the high altitude turboprop would have two modes: normal turboprop mode to get to 10 (or even 15) kilometers altitude, then it switches to jettrubine only and the fans stop spinning.

i don't know if it is possible to do such animation....

with normal mode, the thrust and fuel consumption is low, on jetmode, the thurst gets higher, but so the need for fuel.

Yeah that's same idea as I've been toying with. I'm figuring out ways I can get the fan blades to stop spinning when switched to different engine mode. If that's not possible within FS I can still figure out some ways around it in design, but would have to sacrifice some visuals. I'd rather not do that if possible.

Actually, this is similar to how some real life turbo props work. Each Allison T56 on The P-3 Orion and C-130 Hercules produces 750lbs of additional thrust from its respective exhaust.

I replicated this in game with my P-3 Orion clone, by adding four .6m tweakscaled Basic Jet Engines behind 4 of the KAX PT100's. I then used Devons Throttle Manager to limit the jets to 10-15% thrust and the PT-100's to 75%. I can go a bit faster than the real P-3 at full throttle, but she's stable at 15-25% throttle and that allows me about 3.5hrs loiter time at 75% fuel capacity. She needs to go through some trial runs/tweaks though as I just finished designing her last night. I'll update this post later with a link to an image, if I post it in the KAX thread.

Suggestions for Retro-Future:

-JeyTew Variant - w/gear.

-Standard 12Cyl with 10-15% less power, less weight, and a traditional 3-4 blade prop and nose cone. - 2 variants w and w/o gear.

For the standard 12cyl you could just reuse the JeyTew engine body, one of the 3 bladed props, and throw the R-F nose onto it. This engine would serve as a balanced replacement for the overpowered Firespitter Lancaster engine. Currently, the JeyTew is a bit too powerful/heavy for some of my smaller twin engine craft.

Overall...I really love the parts so far, keep up the good work!

Edited by Snacksquatch

Actually, this is similar to how some real life turbo props work. Each Allison T56 on The P-3 Orion and C-130 Hercules produces 750lbs of additional thrust from its respective exhaust.

I replicated this in game with my P-3 Orion clone, by adding four .6m tweakscaled Basic Jet Engines behind 4 of the KAX PT100's. I then used Devons Throttle Manager to limit the jets to 10-15% thrust and the PT-100's to 75%. I can go a bit faster than the real P-3 at full throttle, but she's stable at 15-25% throttle and that allows me about 3.5hrs loiter time at 75% fuel capacity. She needs to go through some trial runs/tweaks though as I just finished designing her last night. I'll update this post later with a link to an image, if I post it in the KAX thread.

Suggestions for Retro-Future:

-JeyTew Variant - w/gear.

-Standard 12Cyl with 10-15% less power, less weight, and a traditional 3-4 blade prop and nose cone. - 2 variants w and w/o gear.

For the standard 12cyl you could just reuse the JeyTew engine body, one of the 3 bladed props, and throw the R-F nose onto it. This engine would serve as a balanced replacement for the overpowered Firespitter Lancaster engine. Currently, the JeyTew is a bit too powerful/heavy for some of my smaller twin engine craft.

Overall...I really love the parts so far, keep up the good work!

Yep I'm getting around to it this week. testing multimode engines with firespitter's modules look very promising so far. :)

Yep I'm getting around to it this week. testing multimode engines with firespitter's modules look very promising so far. :)

:cool: Nice! Really outstanding work so far.

You know what would be awesome? If these parts utilized Stock textures.

A re-texture pack would be a nice option for some of the parts. Sort of like TAC-LS.

The first iteration textures were more stock-alike loosely speaking... light gray on top; black on belly. I'll take a look at it again if it works on all the parts so far I'll include it as alternate texture set.

I have an idea on how to overcome the problem of propfan engines having two separate air intake streams (one for the gas turbine, and another for the propeller blades). It also ties in with the concept of having piston engine bodies.

Get this... Two different parts: a propeller part, and an engine part. The engine part consumes IntakeAir and fuel, and produces RotationalPower, or EnginePower, or something (new resource; I think AJE already has some support for something like this). The propeller part consumes the resource produced by the engine and IntakeAtm (Intake atmosphere. Interstellar/Open Resource System, IIRC, has this resource; it's a label for any atmospheres, with oxygen or not). This has the advantage of having two completely separate air intake resources!

Transparent Pods! links in OP

Awesome! In the OP you mention slowdown with multiple pods within physics distance - even with a few in your video the FPS seems a bit sluggish. Is it the multiple (7000 tri) Kerbals being rendered at once?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.