1,282 members have voted

1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

The code is actually simpler than the normal method by a long shot, it took about ten minutes to set that up. However, it needs a lot of work, so that won't stay the case for long! It's all in the private dev repo - grab yourself a GitHub account and I'll hook you up.

EDIT: I'll probably abandon the stock steering completely in the not-too-distant future, as I've done with the new mode. Ackerman correction is on the way too.

Edited by lo-fi

Are you planning on releasing all of these in one mod, or as a series of individual modules? The repulsors are cool, but they're *very* sci-fi. Yes, for people who don't think they fit in their game, there's the not-very-difficult option of just deleting the unwanted parts. But for convenience sake it may be better to release them in logically distinct groups like a "Realistic Pack" and a "Sci-Fi Pack". Or even breaking it down further, "Treads", "Rover Wheels", "Repulsors", etc.

Keeping them all together and you risk feature creep. Don't become like Lazor System :-p beautiful code, beautiful features, horribly over-bundled and feature-creep'd.

That's a good point actually.

To be honest, I'm a deleter of unused parts, and I share your feelings about parts I don't want bundled with ones I do. I'd like to say I'll be releasing as separate parts individually, but when they rely on a plugin, you can't really distribute them effectively unless it's as a single pack. People get wrong versions, out of step with the plugin, multiple copies of the plugin... It's a minefield, and you can rely on one thing: instructions won't be read properly.

Would be possible to separate the wheels and repulsors into discrete packs as you suggest with a plugin for each, I suppose. Might be a good way to go. Either way, that's a long way off!

I personally think the best idea would be to release the plugin separately from the wheels / repulsors / treads, as this has two advantages:

- Since there is only one potential source for the plugin, it is easier for people to update (rather than having conflicting versions bundled with each parts pack)

- For other add-on authors who wish to make use of your plugin (such as myself) for our own wheels, it's easier for us to convince users to download just a plugin as a dependency.

Of course, do take my thoughts with a grain of salt :)

That's a good point actually.

To be honest, I'm a deleter of unused parts, and I share your feelings about parts I don't want bundled with ones I do. I'd like to say I'll be releasing as separate parts individually, but when they rely on a plugin, you can't really distribute them effectively unless it's as a single pack. People get wrong versions, out of step with the plugin, multiple copies of the plugin... It's a minefield, and you can rely on one thing: instructions won't be read properly.

Would be possible to separate the wheels and repulsors into discrete packs as you suggest with a plugin for each, I suppose. Might be a good way to go. Either way, that's a long way off!

Cool beans. I figured it was a long way off, I just thought I'd bring it up now. Because I'm pushy :-p

Sumghai's suggestion is a very good one. The base-and-extensions system is both user-friendly and developer-friendly, IMO.

Speaking of which, you're making a truly incredible mod. I love the suspensions. Keep up the good work, I can't wait for a release ^_^

Additionally, having spoken about releasing different packs and being suggested the "Realistic" and "Sci-Fi" pack names, I would also like to suggest a balancing and realism pass on the part cfgs in the end of the development period.

Let them be fun now, while people are testing them, but running 70m/s on an alien world is as stupid, as it is unrealistic.

I understand that for each person the "Realism" boundaries are different. Some want 1:1 Kerbin:Earth, some want additional planets, some want wheels that can go over an obstacle at 50m/s and not budge.

So maybe it is a good idea to have 2 different packs as out-of-the box default solutions. Then if people still don't like those they can fine tune the cfgs themselves. Fine tuning is better than doing it from scratch though. So a "Realistic" pack, where wheels behave more "naturally" when subjected to stress - less strength, less springs. And then a sci-fi cfg pack for all those who love to have racers on the Mun.

That's a no I'm afraid, they'll come out as they come out. If you want to modify your .cfg's I'm not here to stop you, but I'm not about to recreate (and maintain!) the TR-2L nasties! I'll come up with something reasonable, but its never going to please everybody. As Sirkut said, I believe: it's a game with little green aliens and 1/10 scale planets. I learned to suspend disbelief long ago.

Be great if you've got some ideas, Sumghai :)

^Thanks for chiming in, a few minutes saved here and there soon adds up into more bug whacking.

See OP for alpha release link. Repulsors are up, along with the two wheels. ElectricCharge consumption and action groups implemented.

^Thanks for chiming in, a few minutes saved here and there soon adds up into more bug whacking.

See OP for alpha release link. Repulsors are up, along with the two wheels. ElectricCharge consumption and action groups implemented.

All my yes.

See my sig and take my rep.

I messed up the linking into the public repo. Will be back shortly once I sort, I made a real mess :/

EDIT: It hasn't changed much, but I also realised some of my classes were not linked either.

Edited by lo-fi

So I tried the fabulous repulsors I've barely been able to wait for and they are super!

The only thing I've found so far is that the height tweakable in flight doesn't work/do anything. Other than that an the occasional model glitch (probably a stock feature in KSP) they are splendid. Simply awesome work you've done there.

Although I did like the model from the video in the OP more :P