1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

Good work! I'll be trying out later :D

I have some ideas to improve collider behaviour - maybe one day I'll get enough time to implement!

Glad you like what I've done already, some of that was bloody hard work to make robust enough for KSP and its still not perfect

Tracks are set to come out next, I'm seriously pleased with them :D

Good thing that BahamutoD's Armory got an update including a tank turret!

Good thing that BahamutoD's Armory got an update including a tank turret!

I'm just finishing off the tracks, then I'm going to play :D I love his work, it's always top-notch.

Why don't you release the smaller antigravity repulsors? If they were textured like the accordion ones, that would be AWESOME!

Surface mount is on the way for low profile installs, and, as you say, a smaller version would be easy. Time is my enemy! I'll get round to it eventually :)

In case anyone hasn't seen it from the RBI track thread:

:D

I've just released into the dev repo. If they behave, I'll have the alpha turned around fairly quickly.

Those weapons he's come up with are just awesome. I've narrowly resisted the temptation to strap some Gatlings onto that little rover and cause devastation around the KSC... Getting the parts out to test won the day today.

Has something gone wrong with the tracks? It's taking longer than I expected for them to come out.

Yep..... I have a life. Don't remember specifying a release window!

Don't you think that's just a tad disrespectful? I do this for free, in my spare time, because I choose to do the same as a lot of other people who's work I've enjoyed and release what I make back into the KSP community at large. And you're complaining it's taking longer than you 'expect' after less than 24 hours has passed...

As it happens, I'm taking a bit of time to finesse a few important features like resource consumption before I send out into the wild, or I'll have a whole other group of people complaining about that. I'd also dearly like to solve the bug that makes the editor icon ridiculously tiny.

Go sit on the naughty step and think about what you've done.

//rant over.

Well to be fair, I was expecting a same day release for the tracks. As that is what I got out of your post aboot the tracks and releasing it. But then again you were very very vague and I may have just assumed that you were going to try for a same day release.

Understood, though you weren't bugging about it.. and there's something of a difference between 'I'm excited to get hold of this part, any idea when you'll be releasing?' and 'Well? Where is it?'.

Which is why the reply was a polite (though somewhat disgruntled ) reminder that things can (and do) take time.

Understood, though you weren't bugging about it.. and there's something of a difference between 'I'm excited to get hold of this part, any idea when you'll be releasing?' and 'Well? Where is it?'.

Which is why the reply was a polite (though somewhat disgruntled ) reminder that things can (and do) take time.

I didn't mean to be mean in my post, I was just expecting the tracks to come out yesterday or today as they seemed to be working and ready for release in the video.

I didn't mean to be mean in my post, I was just expecting the tracks to come out yesterday or today as they seemed to be working and ready for release in the video.

Yes, 1 track appears to be functional.

So that somehow means that they all work and this has absolutely no bugs in it?

I fail to see what logic you're trying to use here.

Yes, 1 track appears to be functional.

So that somehow means that they all work and this has absolutely no bugs in it?

I fail to see what logic you're trying to use here.

I meant that the track in the video that pair seemed to work. I'm pretty sure a pair of tracks on a vehicle are it's tracks. I am seeing you are making me look like an idiot and that makes me angry.

I meant that the track in the video that pair seemed to work.

Speaking from experience, that's pretty much all that can be deduced from the video. Yes, one pair of tracks seem to (barely) work ok in one specific situation. What about a different craft? Un/redocking? More than one set of tracks? Maybe the Ackerman steering isn't working/implemented on these tracks? In short, there's a lot that can delay a release and being one of the (almost) full-time testers, I can say that these kind of things are legitimate reasons to delay a release.

Speaking from experience, that's pretty much all that can be deduced from the video. Yes, one pair of tracks seem to (barely) work ok in one specific situation. What about a different craft? Un/redocking? More than one set of tracks? Maybe the Ackerman steering isn't working/implemented on these tracks? In short, there's a lot that can delay a release and being one of the (almost) full-time testers, I can say that these kind of things are legitimate reasons to delay a release.

That's all that lo-fi has released of the tracks other than the video of when they were early in development. Really judging by the post were the video first appeared (The caterpillar tracks thread electronicfox made) the tracks were nearly ready to be released at the time and very little needed to be done. No serious bugs were mentioned.

As has been discussed, one video does not a part make...

Functional, yes. The dynamics are just about right and they are usable. However, what you can't see is that the track and wheel animation stopped when they left the floor, they weren't draining battery, the input method would inexplicably 'stick' occasionally and there were no tweakables. Some bugs, some annoyances, some enhancements. There is always something else that needs thinking about.

I have yet to test docking, more than two tracks on a vehicle etc.... Having said that, I have yet to find anything show stopping.

Just updated the dev repo, think I have ironed the worst of it out. You'll need to delete all previous track directories before updating to the latest version, and the usual caveats about fresh save/craft apply.

If nothing nasty is found and I can whip up a quick texture for the white bits I'll consider putting out to alpha :)

That's all that lo-fi has released of the tracks other than the video of when they were early in development. Really judging by the post were the video first appeared (The caterpillar tracks thread electronicfox made) the tracks were nearly ready to be released at the time and very little needed to be done. No serious bugs were mentioned.

There were still some rather serious bugs and control issues with the tracks before I let them loose in the world. Chances are they'd have all been resolved fairly quickly had RL responsibilities not gotten in the way. But responsibilities did rear their ugly head and we had very little/no time to devote to them any more. (But I figured there was no reason that nobody else couldnt continue the work if they wanted to).

I meant that the track in the video that pair seemed to work. I'm pretty sure a pair of tracks on a vehicle are it's tracks. I am seeing you are making me look like an idiot and that makes me angry.

I'm just visiting this post and I see a budding argument, well Mike I'm on your side, What you said earlier wasn't nasty at-all, you where simply wondering when they'd come out, people often misunderstand though...

But responsibilities did rear their ugly head...

Hey now, just because these "responsibilities" (myth, no confirmed sightings can be verified by science) are aesthetically lacking in their appearance does not mean we can just go around calling them ugly with complete disregard to their feelings. They're not ugly, they're just aesthetically challenged.

...there's a lot that can delay a release and being one of the (almost) full-time testers, I can say that these kind of things are legitimate reasons to delay a release.

I like the almost-full-time-tester bit there. I'm on the list, but I have yet to successfully launch KSP since the big update, both 32-bit and 64-bit. It's pretty messed up right now.

Edited by Gaalidas

Hey now, just because these "responsibilities" (myth, no confirmed sightings can be verified by science) are aesthetically lacking in their appearance does not mean we can just go around calling them ugly with complete disregard to their feelings. They're not ugly, they're just aesthetically challenged.

I am sorry my shallow views of responsibilities offend you, but they are my own views and they ain't changing.

I leave you guys alone for five minutes... :P

My weekend starts here: No pc, limited internet. Just a steam engine, several tons of coal and thousands of gallons of water to be evaporated. I can't wait!

I haven't bothered with .24 yet. I don't play career, so I thought I'd let the bugs get wrangled out before updating. Plugin is currently compiled for 23.5, but reported to work in .24.

If any of the guys with access to the resting repo have some spare time I'd appreciate some feedback on the tracks. My testing has been very limited.

EDIT: please use the Git bug tracker, it is so much easier than forum posts to keep track of :)

Have a great weekend!

Edited by lo-fi

I am sorry my shallow views of responsibilities offend you, but they are my own views and they ain't changing.

No offense here, just defending the unconfirmed-existent beings known to a few of us as "responsibilities." If their existence is proven, they may be offended.

Is there a way to reduce the amount of electricity the repulsors require? I opened the CFG file and yikes! The only thing I found regarding resource consumption was electric charge, and it was set at zero. I'm having difficulty making a light, compact hover-mobile that's not half RTGs and solar panels by weight! :sticktongue:

Is there a way to reduce the amount of electricity the repulsors require? I opened the CFG file and yikes! The only thing I found regarding resource consumption was electric charge, and it was set at zero. I'm having difficulty making a light, compact hover-mobile that's not half RTGs and solar panels by weight! :sticktongue:

Try Near Future Electrical's small fission reactors.