1,282 members have voted

1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

Nope, actually this issue is to do with the steering code. In all my testing I never tried a craft with just one set of wheels! This is why ecat got the issue when he was mixing them with the stock wheels - he was only using one set of my wheels. Horus, can you confirm what your craft design was like when you had the issue, please? At least I know what it is now, will be somewhere in the placement detection code :/

Horus, can you confirm what your craft design was like when you had the issue, please? At least I know what it is now, will be somewhere in the placement detection code :/

I've posted a LINK to images. Nothing special about test vehicle design. And it fails like that ONLY when KSOS rovers installed as well.

Update: I'll check it now more thoroughly.

Edited by Horus

I'm currently working on a rover body the likes of which KSP has never seen: Air intakes, engine attachment points, nice flat surfaces for wheel/repulsor/track attachment, cargo bay and service hatches with animated doors, built in APU. It has the lot! Stock-ish look to suit the MK2 cockpit, so 1.25m initially and 2.5m will follow. The aim is a rigid, robust chassis to mount different parts in depending what you want to do with it, rather than making a body out of rocket parts with little tolerance for the crashy-crashy-boom-boom, rough and tumble nature of rovers.

This made me shed a tear of happiness!!!!

Also perhaps i'm missing something simple here with the tracks but when i place two track on either side of a rover, the track turn in opposite directions making my rover spin around... for the life of me i can seem to get them to both turn in the same direction.. its obviously something simple, but its late and i still stumped!!

I built a little tracked rover to visit easter eggs/anomalies on the min with. The tracks work much better than wheels.

http://i.imgur.com/lRwrvDc.png

I found the tracks better at not tipping over. I think it's because the steering effectiveness falls off as the roll increases, giving a nice negative feedback loop :) Nice little rover, btw.

I've posted a LINK to images. Nothing special about test vehicle design. And it fails like that ONLY when KSOS rovers installed as well.

Update: I'll check it now more thoroughly.

Thanks, I can confirm that silly things happen when I put the root part in that orientation in vanilla. This really needs fixing. Whether that resolves the issue with KSOS remains to be seen, but it'll be absolute bottom the the pile due to the module manager madness I'll have to plough through to get to the bottom of it :/

EDIT: Thanks for the PM, sounds like a problem with determining the wheels position in the vessel to calculate the steering ratio. The workaround is leave the root part in the default orientation in the SPH until I can beat KSP into giving me sensible, reliable data on where the parts are in the vessel!

Also perhaps i'm missing something simple here with the tracks but when i place two track on either side of a rover, the track turn in opposite directions making my rover spin around... for the life of me i can seem to get them to both turn in the same direction.. its obviously something simple, but its late and i still stumped!!

What orientation is the root part/control module in? Post a few pics, if you would? I take it you're running the latest version and have made sure to uninstall all the old versions of the plugin? 1.6a will have changed this behaviour. The tracks have to detect which direction and side of the vessel they're on to be able to function. This is rather ill defined by the root part and control pod orientation, so there may be particular arrangements I've not tried that foxes the orientation detection code. Try keeping the root part in the default orientation in the SPH. Unless you're doing something really crazy like building it in the VAB?

I might add a manual override to help out in those situations where it's been impossible to cover all the bases. The freeform nature of KSP can be a real nightmare sometimes!

Edited by lo-fi

The anti-gravity seems to not work if a vessel has wheels and antigravity components.

EDIT:

It may also cause the KSO wheels to sink into the ground...

Seems it's the night for bugs! Sorry, no idea what you're on about?

Seems it's the night for bugs! Sorry, no idea what you're on about?

Alright. Build a vessel with wheels and antigravity components, and the antigrav parts don't work- at least, they don't work in my game.

Also, the parts may interfere with these packs:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68429-0-24-2-Kerbin-Shuttle-Orbiter-System-v4-08

I can't replicate that I'm afraid, wheels and repulsors play fine as far as I can test. They don't have any dependencies on each other, nor should they interfere with other parts in a vessel they're placed on.

KSO crops up again....

Yeah, so that thing is really rather cool, especially when kerbtown insists on NOT using any of the toolbar plugins and instead just renders this huge button in the VAB for you to choose a spawn location, and then insists on spawning you under the ground after placing you in the intended spot. Okay, so that's a rather isolated situation I had, but it was annoying. The firespitter version was interesting, except for the fact that when trying to launch a water-craft I discovered what it was actually doing. It was first spawning you at the standard location, then it was moving you to the new location by, for lack of a better word... bumping you... in the general direction on your destination and then smacking you to make you stop. I'm sure it was more technical than that, but the effect was that it was a rather violent procedure. The visual aspect of this was that all the parts of my craft were temporarily turned to their natural orientation and, upon reaching the destination, the parts were re-orienting themselves based on their strength with the nodes they were attached to. It was like it was reassembling itself on the spot. Even worse, when my craft came to a halt it was not on the water, but actually a few meters above it and... get this... it was facing nose down into the water. I lost a lot of crafts that day until I finally gave up and either rolled my craft to the water manually, or used something like hyper-edit to produce a much more reliable effect.

Umm, i figured out how to use it, you need to set the time to spawn and the height you spawn at just right, then if you have buoyancy parts dont set the buoyancy too high, cause it will bounce or push the stress on connections too high. Works for me 9 out of 10 times without disassembly or explosions :).

Best regards

Cheers, did a quick test on the mole tracks.

Do you see the suspension bumping on shifting directions? Thats with basic settings and a pretty light loadout. Could you raise the start value for spring strength to 2 and the maximum to 4 or even 5 if possible?. And there is no adjustment dialogue on right-click in live view, just in VAB / SPH.

Edited by Haifi

Umm, i figured out how to use it, you need to set the time to spawn and the height you spawn at just right, then if you have buoyancy parts dont set the buoyancy too high, cause it will bounce or push the stress on connections too high. Works for me 9 out of 10 times without disassembly or explosions :).

Best regards

Hey, I'm glad it works for you. I'm hoping squad gets around to giving us multiple launch sites eventually somewhere down the line.

Okay, did a quick test on the mole tracks.

Do you see the suspension bumping on shifting directions? Thats with basic settings and a pretty light loadout. Could you raise the start value for spring strength to 2 and the maximum to 4 or even 5 if possible?. And there is no adjustment dialogue on right-click in live view, just in VAB / SPH.

That's funny, I was about to respond to your post when I discovered that when I got it into my reply in a quote there's a bunch of text that is not showing in the post itself. All it shows in your post below the video is: "Do you see the suspension bumping on shifting directions? And there is no adjustment dialogue on right-click."

Either way, my original comment is no longer applicable.

EDIT: Okay, now it's all appearing as it should. Am I just more nuts than I thought I was?

Edited by Gaalidas

Sounds like I may need to boot up KSP DevBox x64 and start bashing on repulsors, wheels, and KSO until something breaks or cries for mercy.

Please! Though avoid using only two of my wheels on a craft or putting the root part in a weird orientation for the moment, I'll work on fixing that and you can try to break later :)

Cheers, did a quick test on the mole tracks.

Ah, I forgot! The defaults are in the part.cfg in AlphaModuleTrack. I'd actually suggest some more damping may help there, though and there should be plenty of room for that. I'll update the tweakable ranges shortly.

There is a unity limitation preventing changes to spring and damper when the collider is grounded, so i disable in flight to save the 'why isn't this doing anything' confusion. Believe me, I've beaten my head against this one for hours to no avail :/

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm really having a lot of fun with this mod! I'd like to present the TC Landcruiser Mk1X. It's a test craft equipped with all sorts of telemetry equipment (not really) for research into high speed land based transportation. Capable of speeds in excess of 300 mph (FAR, surface speed setting), and possibly more if able to go full bore on a flat expanse.

YIfNWKZ.png

While I don't have a braking solution that allows me to command a full stop without swinging around and burning retrograde, I am using airbrakes which helps to slow down to negotiate hilly terrain. I'm curious, for those of you who've been playing around with this mod, what are some of your steering and braking solutions? Pics would be nice along with the description. Thanks! :D

Edited by jonrd463

FpuNoNB.jpg

Where is the .cfg setting for max spring strength? And is there a place where the spring strength is defined for each wheel, because my cargo rovers are bottoming out their suspension with wheels that look like should be able to handle it.

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm really having a lot of fun with this mod! I'd like to present the TC Landcruiser Mk1X. It's a test craft equipped with all sorts of telemetry equipment (not really) for research into high speed land based transportation. Capable of speeds in excess of 300 mph (FAR, surface speed setting), and possibly more if able to go full bore on a flat expanse.

http://i.imgur.com/YIfNWKZ.png

While I don't have a braking solution that allows me to command a full stop without swinging around and burning retrograde, I am using airbrakes which helps to slow down to negotiate hilly terrain. I'm curious, for those of you who've been playing around with this mod, what are some of your steering and braking solutions? Pics would be nice along with the description. Thanks! :D

For my slow and braking solution I place forward facing rockets, carry oxidizer and use action keys to turn on or off the engines, I also have smaller rockets on the sides to help me turn on some craft. HOWEVER! the turning rockets are VERY hard to adjust so that they don't spin me out of control. Most often I use a HUGE vertical stabilizer for steering, or RCS/SAS for steering.

I tend to do similar to Damaske, though mostly RCS.

Regarding other issues: I've nailed the disappearing wheel problem, that one was easy. But there is still a problem if the root part is placed in a non-default orientation. I do have a potential solution, but it's going to take some time to code and test. For the moment, just make sure you place the root part in the default orientation in the SPH until I've got the proper fix ready. Please note that the root part is not necessarily the first command pod, it is the first part you place.

Who knows what's going on with KSOS (if anything). I have enough to do making sure things work 100% in vanilla without getting into mod compatibility just yet!

Spring strength tweakables will be adjusted shortly.

Not practical as it throws the craft around far too violently at higher ride heights if switched on suddenly. Use action groups or tweakables to set to 0 to turn them off.