1,282 members have voted

1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

That begs the question, how does one effectively slow down when "landing" means still having no friction with the ground in which to stop with? With these repulsors in use so much, it's a wonder that off-shore boat doesn't get smacked in the face more often. Guess that's why I'm in the design office and he's out defying death on a daily basis.

Gutted the shock cones don't move, so I wrote a plugin to do just that. Will be released at some point.

Just an FYI: KineTechAnimation (used by B9 on the SABRE intakes) animates intakes based on velocity and altitude.. don't know what you were planning, but that exists.. Wouldn't want to reinvent teh wheel but on the other hand, it'd be nice to have a properly updated version of it.

Cheers for the heads up, I hadn't heard of that. It's pretty much what I've done, but In the grand scheme of things, it was a pretty simple few minutes work.

Maybe I ought to roll all the little util modules I've made that aren't KF specific into a general use plugin. The texture animator seems to have been received quite well, and it can't hurt to have these things available for those who don't code (though I highly recommend more people get involved).

That begs the question, how does one effectively slow down when "landing" means still having no friction with the ground in which to stop with? With these repulsors in use so much, it's a wonder that off-shore boat doesn't get smacked in the face more often. Guess that's why I'm in the design office and he's out defying death on a daily basis.

My method for slowing down with repulsors involves deploying air brakes to slow a little, then dropping my actual landing gear and shutting the repulsors down. No more destroyed gear on landing, no more whacking the wingtips into the dirt, and no more violent unplanned disassemblies.

They aren't to be used as primary landing gear, they're meant to supplement the primary landing gear.

use B9 Airbrakes or Firesplitter one

Bah, too easy. I'm thinking a giant airbag strapped to a brick wall at the end of the runway mounted on some really big rotatrons that can be contacted via radio to deploy only when the landing aircraft needs to stop. Yeah, that's a much better idea that this "airbrake" idea. Are we Kerbals or not?

lo-fi, you are one of a kind. I find something that I world like to have, and I do a search through all of the mods available at the time for that functionality. You see something you'd like to have, and before even looking to see if it's been done, you fire up your development software and pump out a new plugin like it was throwing a TV dinner into the nuke-box and calling it a balanced meal. Completely and utterly nuts!

Edited by Gaalidas

Haha! Funnily enough, I seem to do the same IRL too. I wanted at 12hp Hoover... I built one. I want a small hovercraft, so I'm making one. I just don't seem to be able to stop myself!

Give me tools and I make stuff; I guess its that simple :)

A wall of airbags would be hilarious, though now I have an idea for aircraft carrier arrester wires...

Would definitely eat a small animal for breakfast given half the chance... The damn thing is brutal, it scares the bejesus out of me at full chat. Designed for picking horse poo up off the field as I got fed up doing it the boring way with rake and barrow.

No, the most Kerbal way to stop a speeding repulsorcraft is to strap an RT-10 to the nose and use it for braking thrust. Or perhaps breaking thrust...

I've been (shamefully) flying around Kerbin, which means I'm unable to test many of your parts, Lo-Fi. Repulsors work great for landing, and a reconfig'd APU allowed me to have power without that horrible and heavy oxidizer, but other than that, I've been flying, which means tracks and repulsors and rover bodies don't get used as much. Sure, I've made a DSR fly. Impressive though that may be, it's not really a great airplane body. Reasonable visibility, sure, but there's no matching tail boom, no place to put a nice set of propellers. It does, however, carry a lot of very brave Kerbals on expeditions to the north pole of Kerbin.

As for the truck version, I have a good bit of fun with that one, but I've found the best use for it in my space program is to strap the biggest nuclear reactor to it that I can, drive/fly it out somewhere, and leave it there to beam power into space for my thermal probes. Of course, that doesn't stop Jeb from strapping RT-10's and repulsors to one and firing it across the hillsides.

Thankfully the DSR's are all very heavy duty. DSR2 doesn't get used as much (yes, I still have it, even though it's not as refined as DSR3) as DSR3 and 3C managed to be more versatile, but there may still be one or two of them hiding somewhere on Kerbin.

Well, back to making a sport of gliding across Kerbin's skies. If you're up to one of my crazy requests, I wouldn't mind some glider parts, so I can avoid using these touchy little physics free parts, and stuff I've dragged up from 0.18. And things I've had to config bash. I mean, the Stock Expansion Pack from Lack Luster Labs is nice (contains a pleasant little probe-sized cockpit), but there's just not enough visibility from the pilot seat, and I'd like to be able to cruise in a glider that gives me the ability to have an awesome view, and also allows me to land without fear of "Where's the runway?"

If you do take up the challenge, don't worry too much about propulsion. I generally use a rescaled Firespitter folding prop, or a config-edited engine designed to consume electricity. Solar panels are cheap, after all.

Haha! Funnily enough, I seem to do the same IRL too. I wanted at 12hp Hoover... I built one.

If you didn't use a two-stroke chainsaw motor, I'll be very disappointed! :sticktongue:

Edited by Voculus

If you didn't use a two-strike chainsaw motor, I'll be very disappointed! :sticktongue:

Ha! Not enough grunt ;) 344cc 4-stroke Briggs block, absolutely thrashed. You've never heard one work so hard!

You keep handing me these crazy ideas, Madrias!

Haha! Funnily enough, I seem to do the same IRL too. I wanted at 12hp Hoover... I built one. I want a small hovercraft, so I'm making one. I just don't seem to be able to stop myself!

Give me tools and I make stuff; I guess its that simple :)

A wall of airbags would be hilarious, though now I have an idea for aircraft carrier arrester wires...

That's what you can't stop me from doing. I upchuck crazy ideas like a bad illness, and those ideas drive your type of mind into an "I can do that!" mode.

Wait, what? Firespitter is available for 0.25?

I dunno. The one for 0.24.2 seems to work, you just need to click away the incompatible mods thing. Everything appears to work just fine.

Ha! Not enough grunt ;) 344cc 4-stroke Briggs block, absolutely thrashed. You've never heard one work so hard!

You keep handing me these crazy ideas, Madrias!

It's not often I find myself having a modder's ear as a place to drop ideas. I've wanted to have an ability to fly a glider in KSP for a while, but I keep being hindered by cockpits that say "All you can see are your gauges. Have fun." I want to see the sky. I don't mind looking downward to see my gauges. That, and I've got the basic ideas for the parts in mind.

Glider nose contains SAS and avionics, so you fly straight at all times. Cockpit, you've seen my basic design. Tail boom should be... don't know how long, but contains batteries. Big folding/retracting glider wing for storage in a cargo bay, perhaps containing built in solar panels. Simple control surfaces for the tail, although a pre-built assembly would be nice (containing rudder and elevator along with the horizontal and vertical stabilizers, so that it's one piece, attached by a node). Landing gear that tuck away into the body of the plane. As for an engine, something that sits up high, behind the wing, with a folding propeller on it, running off electricity. And stick the radio antenna in the tail boom. It's just the way I've thought of the glider. I've made a hack-job of a design that is about the size I want, but one, the colors really don't match up, and two, the cockpit doesn't have enough ground visibility to IVA fly with it.

That's what you can't stop me from doing. I upchuck crazy ideas like a bad illness, and those ideas drive your type of mind into an "I can do that!" mode.

I see we both have that affliction. My only fatal flaw is I can't put it into action, so I have to go about dumping the ideas somewhere and hoping they get picked up on.

What's going on with FS, is it not being updated??

Cheers cremasterstroke :) A few textures left to do, plus a few bits of debugging stuff to strip from the plugin, then 1.8 will appear some point soon. I'm afraid Spanner has been out of action lately so no movement on the rover bodies, I've been seriously busy IRL the last couple of weeks and Justin is busy with a lot of texturing work for other projects too. The good news is that I'm pretty happy with the plugin, and rigging new parts is easier than it's ever been.