1,282 members have voted

1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

Quick note: the tiny wheel part name is KF_TonyWheelALPHA - was it supposed to be Tiny?

EDIT: Also, this shows up in my logs. Meaningful? :

[EXC 21:56:40.556] TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExtensionAttribute' from assembly 'TextureAnimator'.

System.MonoCustomAttrs.GetCustomAttributesBase (ICustomAttributeProvider obj, System.Type attributeType)

System.MonoCustomAttrs.GetCustomAttributes (ICustomAttributeProvider obj, System.Type attributeType, Boolean inherit)

System.MonoType.GetCustomAttributes (System.Type attributeType, Boolean inherit)

KConfigDocumentationGenerator.GenerateAssemblyDocumentation (System.Reflection.Assembly assembly)

KConfigDocumentationGenerator.Generate ()

KConfigDocumentationGenerator.OnLevelWasLoaded (Int32 level)

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

Hehe! Yeah, it is supposed to be tiny, but then we realised it has mafia connections... The names will get refactored for beta - no point in keeping the alpha suffix, so I'll sort some point soon.

Good catch on texture animator, must be a .90 thing. I'll see what's going on. Good stuff, keep it up! :)

As promised here is the video :)

The sound is messed up, so best play with volume turned down.

Hes got some really unbelieving facial expression there doesnt he?

Best regards

Edited by Haifi

In relation to the texture animator thingie, I was getting similar errors back in .25, but totally forgot to say anything. I need to be smacked for that.

on the note of the buoyancy thing, I have yet to try it but I would think it might work better using the buoyancy plugin that was released a while back (buried by the forums by now) which had the goal of rewriting the water interaction in KSP, thus eliminating the insta-death, and improving the way parts interact with it. Doubtful that it would affect any of our water repulsion stuff, but it might improve the water-interaction of some of the parts that have the propeller module and these rovers that float....sorta...

If I can get past my real dislike of the new controls in the SPH, I'll give it a go later. I just noticed that as you rotate the camera over the top of your craft, it acts like it's hitting a wall above you and shifts your camera in a weird way that is totally unintuitive. As well, the default placement for a brand new part on a brand new craft is at a different elvel than the default camera position, requiring one to shift their camera vertically to even see the first part. Very annoying.

Edited by Gaalidas

Yep, noticed that as well, Gaalidas. Just another reason I hate 0.90's decision to frak up the editor. Here's hoping that 0.9x brings back .25's basic editor, just with some cool features tacked on.

I don't get the TypeLoadException from textureanimator. Which version KSP version you running?

0.90, Windows 32-bit version, but running on Win 8.1 x64 enterprise. Lots of other mods, too...

EDIT: I'm eagerly awaiting (hoping for) a renewed version of the hangar extender... sigh.

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

As promised here is the video :)

The sound is messed up, so best play with volume turned down.

Hes got some really unbelieving facial expression there doesnt he?

Best regards

I can't quite believe how well that works! Seems a similar wheel is definitely in order ;)

0.90, Windows 32-bit version, but running on Win 8.1 x64 enterprise. Lots of other mods, too...

EDIT: I'm eagerly awaiting (hoping for) a renewed version of the hangar extender... sigh.

OK, exactly the same setup as me, then. Could you post me a whole output_log? It shows every sign that another mod has over-ridden something, but it's such a simple util (and not strictly anything to do with KF actually) that I just can't see what it might be.

In relation to the texture animator thingie, I was getting similar errors back in .25, but totally forgot to say anything. I need to be smacked for that.

on the note of the buoyancy thing, I have yet to try it but I would think it might work better using the buoyancy plugin that was released a while back (buried by the forums by now) which had the goal of rewriting the water interaction in KSP, thus eliminating the insta-death, and improving the way parts interact with it. Doubtful that it would affect any of our water repulsion stuff, but it might improve the water-interaction of some of the parts that have the propeller module and these rovers that float....sorta...

If I can get past my real dislike of the new controls in the SPH, I'll give it a go later. I just noticed that as you rotate the camera over the top of your craft, it acts like it's hitting a wall above you and shifts your camera in a weird way that is totally unintuitive. As well, the default placement for a brand new part on a brand new craft is at a different elvel than the default camera position, requiring one to shift their camera vertically to even see the first part. Very annoying.

Hmmm, I knew someone was working on some kind of floatation code, but I lost track of it. Let me know if you remember what you were thinking of, it's probably worth a look,

Yep, noticed that as well, Gaalidas. Just another reason I hate 0.90's decision to frak up the editor. Here's hoping that 0.9x brings back .25's basic editor, just with some cool features tacked on.

Sometimes you have to wonder what happens in QA...

Hype train is raising steam, Mike ;)

Not sure what's going on there tbh... Those DLL's don't actually belong with KF, so I've removed.

Thanks, great work with the code tidy, Gaalidas. I've updated my source now; compiles fine, and will look at some of the other suggestions, though I think are mostly in experimental stuff and I've created a variable or two that aren't really used yet or any more.

I was thinking of Better Buoyancy. I just didn't know it at the time.

So, lo-fi, I don't know if this is due to some unforeseen issue woth .90 or if I'm just an unlucky guy today, but I just spent some time fiullding with KSP and, when I went to set up my action groups, I found that the only actions attached to your wheels and tracks were related to cross-feeding (which is probably from some other mod I have, but should definitely not screw up the standard actions available. I don't think my tidy had anything to do with it since I didn't even touch action groups, other than re-adding one action that you reverted over the holidays, which I have now re-checked for errors and found none. So, I dunno what's going on. It's getting a bit too late here for me to be launching KSP again for another check, so you might give it a quick try yourself if you have the time. I'd like to think it's all on my end, which I can deal with in my own time. Otherwise, we're going to have to revert my last few commits.

EDIT: It's worse than I thought. Checking my log, there was an exception that caused the entire DLL to not be loaded. I sure hope I didn't do that... oops...

EDIT2: I really should have just gone to bed, but this thing was bugging me. I may have narrowed it down, but I'm not going to go into detail right now. I'll check back here for any updates tomorrow morning, and if none are present I'll compile again and see if I fixed it.

Edited by Gaalidas

Hmmm, well I've not looked at action groups since updating to .90, nor loaded the game since merging your changes. I can't think of any that should have stopped the dll loading, though.

Edit: working fine after compiling your changes

Edited by lo-fi

Also, a word of warning to the dev guys: I've done a major refactor and re-organise of part names ready for beta - will break saves and craft, I'm afraid. Easy to fix with a find and replace in .craft or persistence file, though. I've not committed the changes yet, will wait until tomorrow.

I realised while updating that the descriptions in most of the parts is lacking, so does anyone fancy having a pop at that? Gaalidas, your zany humour springs to mind ;)

Thanks kerbas_ad_astra, I'll give it a whirl.

Hmmm, well I've not looked at action groups since updating to .90, nor loaded the game since merging your changes. I can't think of any that should have stopped the dll loading, though.

Edit: working fine after compiling your changes

Strange, cause I just tried again and I'm getting this on load:

[ERR 09:26:41.564] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'KerbalFoundries': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'KerbalFoundries.Extensions' from assembly 'KerbalFoundries, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Only thing I can think of is that there's something whacky about the references I'm compiling against. I even tried reverting some of my changes last night and tried to load up the game again this morning with the same results. Well, good to know it's not my changes then. Those are completely uneducated changes, just suggestions by the software.

Weirdly, this is similar to what AccidentalDisassembly was having with the texture animator. What happens if you try the compiled DLL in the dev repo at the moment? I'm beginning to suspect there's some third part mod shenanigans going on here, especially when reflection is mentioned.

I was just coming back to report absolutely no issue with your compile. Rather irritating, though. Seems like I can no longer compile your code locally. Good thing I've pretty much finished with all the things I wanted to add to it.

Considering I don't reference from a local copy, but rather from the KSP directory itself, it should be all updating properly no matter what.

It's a confusing thing, but since it seems to be a local issue I'll fiddle around in my off time. With the success of your compile, at least we know I can make little adjustments here and there without negative impact. For instance last night, while trying to figure out my problem, I discovered an odd case in one of the files (I forget which one presently) where you had two functions with events/actions defined above them. What's nuts about it is that the field labeled "Gear" and attached to the default Gears group was also attached to the function for "brakes" and the other event/action (whichever it was) labelled "brakes" was attached to the function called "Gears." I looked at the content of the functions and those seemed to be in the right place, so I just swapped the function names so it all fit properly. As far as what happens in each instance, considering the functions don't actually get called by name anywhere else in the code, it probably has no impact at all on what actually happens in game. As far as reading code, it's definitely an improvement. I'm going to try and commit that one in a little bit here.

EDIT: Off topic, I've been to a few sessions of my C# class now and it looks like the class won't even cover anything more complicated than single-file, single-function console programs. So, since I started messing around with KSP and your source, I'm already way ahead of most of the class as far as experience with the language. "See Mom? I told you computer games would benefit me someday!"

Edited by Gaalidas

Maaan, all this talk and such and I'm reading it and really wanting to get in on it; if only i could :(

Nah just kidding, even if I wasn't able to test the latest dev versions, glad to still see this up and running for however-long it has been since it came out (long tracks I see you :D)

I forget easily that we're not all in on the deal. Someone has to be the odd-ball out though, and I appreciate you for being that poor unfortunate soul. It makes room for me to be on the inside.

If that doesn't make you feel any better about it, do not fret. I wasn't actually intending to make it easier for you. I'm just talking to hear my head rattle.