1,282 members have voted

1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

Hello, Hello, just dropping in to thank you for this absolutely fantastic mod, I downloaded it and have not stopped tinkering like a mad scientist with anti-grav. :D. Attempting to make a hovering mobile sky crane as we speak!

thanks again!

Hello everyone, the mod looks awesome but whenever I try to run it with Active Texture Management the mod freezes the game at the loading screen. I sat there for about 10 minutes waiting for an unspecified part to load with the compressed textures (because that does take a while) but eventually just quit the game. I really want to use the mod but I need ATM more.

Can anybody help me with suggestions?

Cheers dude, that sounds brilliant! Screen shots and videos always welcome here!

- - - Updated - - -

Hello everyone, the mod looks awesome but whenever I try to run it with Active Texture Management the mod freezes the game at the loading screen. I sat there for about 10 minutes waiting for an unspecified part to load with the compressed textures (because that does take a while) but eventually just quit the game. I really want to use the mod but I need ATM more.

Can anybody help me with suggestions?

Two options: Either wait it out (it hasn't crashed, but will take a while) or delete the rover body. I put the larger textures on it, which ATM takes ages to process. Second load will be faster once it has done so, though. Depends if you want to use that part.

Two options: Either wait it out (it hasn't crashed, but will take a while) or delete the rover body. I put the larger textures on it, which ATM takes ages to process. Second load will be faster once it has done so, though. Depends if you want to use that part.

Or a better option: load up the texture and it's accompanying normal map into your favorite image editor (one that can export to the same file format) and resize them to 50% of their standard size. This shouldn't ruin the detail too much, and will probably improve your loading time a ton. If you're still having problems, resize it again by the same factor and you'll be at the texture resolution that most of the stock and modded parts tend to use, which will probably not even cause a noticeable pause.

You've gotta release an update for that, lo-fi, or we'll continue to have this same issue brought up over and over.

- - - Updated - - -

I posted in wrong thread...

I have two words that will change your life, then. A great quote from a guy who I forgot the name of... but he's awesome, so listen up. Are you ready for them? Here they come...

"STOP IT!"

There, you should be cured now. If that doesn't do it, then I'm afraid we might have to lock you in a small box and bury you alive. We're not too sure if that actually helps, but we've had no complaints so far. Come to think of it, we've had no survivors either. Oh well...

- - - Updated - - -

In any case, I'm full of man flu and sort of idly tinkering/musing.

That just sounds so wrong... is "man flu" any worse than "woman flu" or are they pretty much evenly severe?

All done. That ought to stop some of it, at least.

Though I'd rather it was people putting stuff upside down, or running a texture meddling mod that have issues than there being actual problems with the parts! Not bad going, I'd say :) If it settles down for two weeks, I'd be tempted to do a full release. Though I'm still leaning toward keeping Google style perpetual beta. It's not like any of us get paid any more for hitting a download target, after all!

Heres a screenshot of my Mobile Crane WIP

Theres an IR Gantry inside for raising and lowering payloads.

It also uses compressed gas RCS for rotating

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss52/Artymaster/Mobile%20Crane.png' alt='Mobile%20Crane.png'>

Edited by Rapturist

That's what she s..... Anyhow, moving on... :blush:

I found something interesting in the Lazor mod. In the small print of the robotic arm, it says timewarp capable. Now the source is under a restrictive license, but it is there and has some interesting things that happen with joints when entering warp. Experimentation is called for. If I can crack this, then the trailer hitch, robotic arm and rover tie downs become a releasable possibility.

Thinking the mod needs splitting into three parts:

KF:Mobility - for most of the current stuff

KF:Structural - for rover bodies, rollcages and that sort of thing. I've been quietly remodelling the DSR3 for a while now.

KF:Utility - trailer hitch, tie downs, robotic arm and that sort of stuff.

No dependencies between the three, just grab which packs you want.

NB: Yes, I'm still working on things, but it's at a slow pace. This is development stuff. Most of it is just ideas, proofs of concepts and methods at this stage - all of it is ambitious to say the least, so don't expect anything going out for release any time soon. All of it will lead to cool things if I can pull it off, though :)

MoHbuls.png

dYiijgG.png

5RZFAYe.png

So here's some in-action shots, I still have some issues transferring from ocean to land, in some cases the hover isn't high enough and my treads get wrecked so I have to slowly move on to land or water, but as you can see in the last image at the island I had to speed up a bit to get up that sneaky hill but obviously had some tread issues.

Edited by Rapturist
Image link did not work

That's what she s..... Anyhow, moving on... :blush:

I found something interesting in the Lazor mod. In the small print of the robotic arm, it says timewarp capable. Now the source is under a restrictive license, but it is there and has some interesting things that happen with joints when entering warp. Experimentation is called for. If I can crack this, then the trailer hitch, robotic arm and rover tie downs become a releasable possibility.

KF:Structural - for rover bodies, rollcages and that sort of thing. I've been quietly remodelling the DSR3 for a while now.

NB: Yes, I'm still working on things, but it's at a slow pace. This is development stuff. Most of it is just ideas, proofs of concepts and methods at this stage - all of it is ambitious to say the least, so don't expect anything going out for release any time soon. All of it will lead to cool things if I can pull it off, though :)

That's interesting. I'm going to have to go take a look at that mod for coding inspiration as well. Lazor definitely had some pretty neat stuff, it was just a bit too cluttered for my taste... and the arms moved too slow... I'm not that demanding am I? Don't answer that one...

Interestingly enough, I was looking through the DLL files running in KSP today (using ILSpy, awesome little utility) and I came across the utility plugin released with that tug ship with those engines you worked on, and it that utility DLL is a module named "Hitch" or something along those lines. I wonder if one of your WIP modules got trapped in there. Anyway... I agree that you probably should start separating things out into different files. While it's great having everything available in a single plugin, we also don't want this mod to end up being "that mod with the wheels/tracks and a plethora of other things with little in common."

Fix it so it wont crash my good game and I may download it. That's pretty much why this mod is not used by many.

I'm sorry, but what?

Far as I know, it's pretty stable (if a bit heavy) and it's pretty popular.

KF:Structural - for rover bodies, rollcages and that sort of thing. I've been quietly remodeling the DSR3 for a while now.

I personally don't use the hover parts anymore nor do I think I'd do much good with anything that would be in 'utility'. The rover body, also, I'm not a big fan of.

The wheels and the tracks is what interests me the most.

I very much doubt that the tracks/wheels would even be separated from the repuslors, since they're all sorta connected in function and part type. I'm unsure if I'd even ever use the DSR bodies. They're a bit lacking in the modularity that you get when using parts that aren't necessarily build for rovers.

Of course, together or apart the plugin really doesn't do enough to really bog anything down on your system, and you're all free to remove parts you don't want from the installation. For this reason alone, asking someone to fix their mod so it doesn't crash your individual computer because of an over-sized texture, one of which comes in an easily editable format is, in my opinion, absolutely ridiculous. Heck, I'm dug in pretty deep with this mod and I don't even run everything in my game the way it comes. Every single freakin' texture and part config that goes into my Gamedata folder gets combed though to ensure that performance on my end is maximized. This includes resizing, often by hand, every texture that I download. However, I do not recommend you go nuts like that. I'm just a bit over-sensitive about my mod installs.

You should see what I do when installing mods for games like Skyrim. Lets just say every single record in one of those mods, and every texture, model, and script gets a very fine sweep before it ever gets loaded into the game. That includes comparing changed records against every other mod currently installed and building compatibility patches if necessary. I'm just a bit nuts that way. At least for KSP I can do half of the stuff I do with automated batch files.

http://i.imgur.com/MoHbuls.png

http://i.imgur.com/dYiijgG.png

http://i.imgur.com/5RZFAYe.png

So here's some in-action shots, I still have some issues transferring from ocean to land, in some cases the hover isn't high enough and my treads get wrecked so I have to slowly move on to land or water, but as you can see in the last image at the island I had to speed up a bit to get up that sneaky hill but obviously had some tread issues.

What are those propellers?

That's interesting. I'm going to have to go take a look at that mod for coding inspiration as well. Lazor definitely had some pretty neat stuff, it was just a bit too cluttered for my taste... and the arms moved too slow... I'm not that demanding am I? Don't answer that one...

Interestingly enough, I was looking through the DLL files running in KSP today (using ILSpy, awesome little utility) and I came across the utility plugin released with that tug ship with those engines you worked on, and it that utility DLL is a module named "Hitch" or something along those lines. I wonder if one of your WIP modules got trapped in there. Anyway... I agree that you probably should start separating things out into different files. While it's great having everything available in a single plugin, we also don't want this mod to end up being "that mod with the wheels/tracks and a plethora of other things with little in common."

That's pretty much my thinking. The tug mistakenly got bundled with my development plugin originally, which included the early hitch module

Sounds like you already did download and install it.

The diffuse textures are rather large at the moment, so it's best to use Active Texture Management and let it finish compressing them, or reduce the texture sizes yourself like Gaalidas suggested here.

Agreed, it's a bit heavy. Things ought to improve greatly with some model nodes for texture sharing, though you'll find the rover body texture much improved in 1.8c (if you use it). This will also fix the ATM first time loading hang.

Ignore Warrodasdhsdf3903902389023, it is a troll. Spammed posts here there and everywhere "It's broke, fix it, waaaa, waaaa, waaaa". Never produced anything I can work with, so I'm not giving it the time of day any more. Honestly, it's idiots like that that make you wonder why you bother sometimes!

Ah, very cool! They look pretty badass too. You could maybe try mounting the repulsors lower down, or use the surface mount version underneath the hull to give you a little more clearance under the tracks.

Wonderful mod and huge thanks for all the work that must have gone into this!

That being said, is there an easy to miss option that deactivates the very helpful "this way up" arrows in flight, or are they inseparable from the textures?