1,282 members have voted

1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

It'd be more "kerbal" to just stick a few super short-burning solid boosters (like those landertron mod thingers) on the front and fire them off when you need to stop moving. I think the landertron mod also had the ability to be re-fueled using tiny hex-cans on EVA, like reloading an old cannon by hand.

I'll have to check when I get home, but I think the Landertrons should do exactly this when set to "Short Landing" mode. It was intended for quickly stopping a spaceplane once it touches the ground, but I don't see any reason it couldn't work on a rover. They'll burn until your forward velocity is zero and then turn off automatically.

Can we get an on/off switch for the repulsors instead of having to adjust the height on them to 0, and then having to remember what height they should be set to when you come back to that craft 2 weeks later?

Trust me, Thorbane, it's better this way. I tested a few experimental repulsors that showed the depth of this problem, and it's not pretty. Even the default ones could be devastating when they first started up. We're talking "break the craft and crater the runway" bad.

At the moment they're just comand seats, but integrated into the cage, Darren. When I've got the design a little more fleshed out I'll do a proper IVA with JSI transparent pod so it can be crewed at launch, driven IVA, have props and all that shenanigans. Slow paced as I'm just dabbling and tinkering, but I think it'll turn into something quite cool. Inspiration is the tracked quad from Prometheus :)

What is going wrong when trying to target .net 3.5? Do you have the full (extended) framework installed?

The alternative is just install VS Express, I guess.

I really hate that thought. It feels redundant considering I already have an editing environment that I like. It's really irritating though. I have installed (or tried anyway) all the SDK/framework packages I can find that don't say "it'll destroy you and your computer and make your mother cry" and I still get a report that the .net reference uhh... stuff... cannot be found and that it will simply compile from the GAC (I always feel like I'm gagging myself when I type that... yes, I'm that strange.) and that it "might" not be targetted correctly. the nice thing is that the part of the plugin that was causing exceptions on load in KSP are no longer making exception, so I'm calling it semi-solved. It'd be nice if I could just use a different compilation package that didn't require the .net targeting package, but i'd probably have to start using Monodevelop which kinda defeats the purpose of having an editing environment that you can use effectively already.

I think this whole .net thing has become way too complicated and is now defeating it's own intended purpose with all of these version mismatches and lack of full backwards compatibility. It's only marginally better than the old C++ redistribution packages, of which I have about 60 separate packages of, all named exactly the same, half of them the same version number, just to make sure everything runs smoothly. And even then, smooth is not always produced. I really need a vacation, except that I'm a Asperger Syndrome computer geek who would get more stressed trying to relax somewhere else than just staying home. Maybe I should just take up alcohol. No, I'm not sure what my brain would turn into then... okay, I'll stop talking now. This is depressing... if slightly amuzing at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

Can we get an on/off switch for the repulsors instead of having to adjust the height on them to 0, and then having to remember what height they should be set to when you come back to that craft 2 weeks later?

We might, however, be able to create some sort of memory for what you had your height at, which is saved upon activating a certain action/GUI-option which then proceeds to slowly lower the repulsor height and eventually shut down. Upon loading the craft again, you could simply toggle that option back and have it slowly dial it back up to where it left off. What do you think, lo-fi? Technically, it would be just like lowering the craft manually, then turning the repulsors off. All that really changes in the automation and a little saved variable in the part's persistent state.

I say it like it's a piece of cake (but the cake is a lie... sorry, got carried away there) when I really have no idea where to start, but I have a pretty good idea where we can start on the whole "slowly settle" and "slowly raise" thing. It would be an interesting distraction anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Trust me, Thorbane, it's better this way. I tested a few experimental repulsors that showed the depth of this problem, and it's not pretty. Even the default ones could be devastating when they first started up. We're talking "break the craft and crater the runway" bad.

That's why we need controlled release. I remember back in the day, you launch your new floater (rover just doesn't work when you're repulsing, does it?) and suddenly it lurched toward the sky, crashes down while overwhelming the repulsor's "suspension" and causing all sorts of problems with things that... as Jeb would put it... "go BANG quite spectacularly with absolutely no red buttons being pushed... by me... over there on that console... nope, not one red button has been pushed here... don't judge me because I'm a genius..." well, you get the picture.

Edited by Gaalidas
found a typo several days after the initial post.

Would having them start and stop slowly help?

Would having them start and stop slowly help?

Yeah, that's the short version of what I said above... if you get a headache reading my super-sized posts.

Moving on...

So, lo-fi, I'm seeing your tracks in more and more images in the Spacecraft Exchange forum. The word is getting out, apparently, of your epic quest to reinvent the wheel (literally).

Hey... good stuff... That would be a great catch-phrase for the mod. "Kerbal Foundries: Reinventing the wheel, literally!"

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, those were good days, Madrias. Instant runway destruction on launch!

Willing to accept a pull request, Thorbane ;)

Hah, that reminds me of the lead tech for the sound department in my church. He says "I'm willing to consider any suggestions for something that needs to be done. I'd be quite happy to show them where the ladders are stored, too."

Edited by Gaalidas
didn't like how my excitement over the discovery of a new catch-phrase looked. I'm such a perfectionist.

I noticed something wierd when I tried to use KIS to attach a pair of small tracks to one of the containers. While I was able to attach them, they behaved wierd like they were wobbling independently of the container and anything I put on top of the container floated around with the tracks. It's like there were two independent hitboxes or something. It took many tries to get them to even work, but when I finally DID get them both moving, they stayed stuck to the ground.

I tried it with the packrat miniwheels and those worked fine, so, it's something with KF tracks. Haven't tried the wheels yet or tried using KAS on the tracks.

These wheels and tracks are more complicated than the standard ones, and actually respond to each other when part of the same craft, so it's possible that attaching them to a part using the KIS system could interrupt the process by which they initialize themselves.

Hey, like the tag line...

Ummm yeah. You'll probably regret attaching KF wheels or tracks with anything but the editor. What on earth is KIS anyway? I thight it must have been a KAS typo..

It works!

Until the 150 EC battery ran out of charge anyway.

They like to explode when dropped on the ground, so I had to put another container nearby to act as a 'host' while I transferred them over. Aside from them trying to move around like they had no gravity, I had no issues. Had to attach them to another ship in editor since they're twice the volume of the containers.

screenshot13_zpsnhhrc7ej.png

I tested KIS with the tracks on a larger vessel after propping it up first, by detaching them all and then reattaching them, and it worked fine there.

I also tested with the same vehichle without propping it up and it works fine there. My guess is either some sort of interaction with the container mesh or they don't like being placed that close to each other outside of the editor.

Edit: Just realized a moment ago that I hadn't tested them by putting them in containers in editor and then going from there. Which I'm doing now.

Test1: Grabbing out of container and attaching them: They did wobble a bit initially, but otherwise worked fine.

Test2: Propping up ship, then grabbing the tracks out of container: works fine.

Tried putting them on the container again and I believe I know the reason why it didn't work before..... I HAD THE BRAKES ON! XD The container-rover is slightly tilted to the side due to the tracks not quite being aligned, but works perfectly.

I decided to try putting them on a container which has something in it, and bam, it started having that wierd behavior, so, yeah, I guess just don't put them on a container which has stuff in it? At least initially maybe?

Edited by smjjames

I tested KIS with the tracks on a larger vessel after propping it up first, by detaching them all and then reattaching them, and it worked fine there.

I also tested with the same vehichle without propping it up and it works fine there. My guess is either some sort of interaction with the container mesh or they don't like being placed that close to each other outside of the editor.

Edit: Just realized a moment ago that I hadn't tested them by putting them in containers in editor and then going from there. Which I'm doing now.

Test1: Grabbing out of container and attaching them: They did wobble a bit initially, but otherwise worked fine.

Test2: Propping up ship, then grabbing the tracks out of container: works fine.

Tried putting them on the container again and I believe I know the reason why it didn't work before..... I HAD THE BRAKES ON! XD The container-rover is slightly tilted to the side due to the tracks not quite being aligned, but works perfectly.

I decided to try putting them on a container which has something in it, and bam, it started having that wierd behavior, so, yeah, I guess just don't put them on a container which has stuff in it? At least initially maybe?

I have no idea what you're on about, but thanks for the updates ;) a couple of screen grabs will probably help work out what you're up to :)

Can you make the wheels sound less like I'm running a gasoline engine on the Mun? It's sort of silly sounding, not to mention irritating after driving for 30 minutes.

If you can find an appropriate royalty free sound that loops and pitch scales well, I'm open to offers! Hint: it's harder than it sounds

Messing around and i came up with this cute little snow cat, Command pod for reference only.

http://i.imgur.com/JlKZSFi.png

I like that, it's very cool :)

hey lo-fi,

In a new update for MFS I've added vertical and horizontal attachment nodes for wheels. Since all your tracks/wheels have attachment nodes they fit perfectly with this (especially that we now have an offset function) :)

hey lo-fi,

In a new update for MFS I've added vertical and horizontal attachment nodes for wheels. Since all your tracks/wheels have attachment nodes they fit perfectly with this (especially that we now have an offset function) :)

Attach nodes (actually, the accurate term is stack nodes, though that isn't a very good description for them) were my baby. I do hope, eventually, if lo-fi makes a new release I'll add the configs that convert all of the original wheels (the four squad ones) to use KF steering and suspension (where practically available) which includes my stack nodes and adjusted attach nodes. They work rather well, for a stock wheel that is.

On another note, I'm curious about something lo-fi... how exactly did you figure out how to manipulate the stock wheels to work on stock wheels? I'm thinking about trying to figure out how to convert other modded wheels that use the stock module to use your steering at the very least. I'm also wondering how hard it would be to create a part which would only apply the steering properties and not the wheel properties. I'm thinking along the lines of being able to create a set of tracks which would not apply any sort of turning, but then copy that set a few times and attach these "sets" to a steering part which would apply the vessel-aware steering to the sets as if they were a single wheel. in other words, apply steering from the bottom of the intermediate part which would turn it's immediate child as one object. I realize it won't be doable with yor plugin alone likely, but I'm thinking together with an IR part it might be doable. I'm going to look at it later when I have no internet and do some fiddling. I'm on a trip with my family, so internet in intermittent at best.

Attach nodes (actually, the accurate term is stack nodes, though that isn't a very good description for them) were my baby. I do hope, eventually, if lo-fi makes a new release I'll add the configs that convert all of the original wheels (the four squad ones) to use KF steering and suspension (where practically available) which includes my stack nodes and adjusted attach nodes. They work rather well, for a stock wheel that is.

yah, stack nodes and converting original wheels would be nice as well (maybe with making TR-2L wheels unbreakable since they look great but are too fragile :P). Thx for that nodes Gaalidas:)