1,282 members have voted

1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

A 7.2 m log can only mean one thing: nullref spam from something. Start KSP, begin flight of whatever is giving you trouble, then immediately close the game as a soon as you can after you're able to control the craft. A new log will be created that's not so huge.

Nothing wrong with pastbin IMO @smjjames

You can plonk the log file in dropbox or anything similar, so long as you can paste a link to it so we can download/read it.

:(

screenshot1_zpsd4ythvf1.png

Could you fix please? I had that while I was doing the race challenge and suddenly BOOM. This craft DID have the repulsors on them.

Also, you said you were going to add the CoM offset thing to fix up the CoM.

I'll get round to it at some point. Though thinking about it, everyone else is likely to complain that it's broken the balance of all the existing stuff, and it's been like that for ages, so maybe it's best left alone :huh:

More dust you say? Well, you're in luck. Many of the parameters in the code can be tailored to fit your style. I will list all the available fields now along with their default values:

• minScrapeSpeed = 0.1
    This is the minimum speed that the craft must be going to produce dust. (float)
  • minDustEnergy = 0.1
    This is the minimum energy rating for the dust calculations. (float)
  • maxDustEnergy = 1
    This is the maximum energy rating for the dust calculations. (float)
  • minDustEmission = 0.1
    This is the minimum emission value. (float)
  • maxDustEmission = 20
    This is the maximum emission value. (float)
  • minDustSize = 0.1
    This is the minimum size of the dust particles. (float)
  • maxDustSize = 1.5
    This is the maximum size for the dust particles. (float)
  • maxDustEnergyDiv = 2
    This is an energy divisor used in the dust calculations. (float)
  • maxDustEmissionMult = 2
    This is an emission multiplier used in the dust calculations. (float)
  • minVelocityMag = 2
    This is the minimum velocity magnitude for the effects to occur. Magnitude refers to both the speed of the vessel and the speed of whatever the vessel is colliding with which, in the case of a planet, will likely be close to if not exactly the same as the standard "speed" rating. (float)
  • dustEffectObject = "Effects/fx_smokeTrail_light"
    This is the actual effect that is used. An alternative that was used for a short time is "fx_smokeTrail_medium" which is now being used for some of the larger parts, though I have yet to test if this makes much of a difference. (string)
  • isRepulsor = false
    Set to "true" if the part you are attaching this effect to is a repulsor. This enables some extra effects that are special for repulsors. (bool)
  • isScrewDrive = false
    Same as the above, but for the screw drive. (bool) (This field is not yet ready for use.)

In a future update to KF I intend to add something more specific to a few parts (mainly the screw drive) to create the effect of sparks flying out occasionally. This feature is not yet ready for the public, or even the rest of the development team, but that will also include a number of configurable fields for just about everything that goes into the calculations.

Before I share what the calculation looks like, so you can get a better idea of how to use these fields, I want to talk about the rather vague particle emission fields from above such as Energy vs. Emission. From what I have gathered from testing the various variables in the particleEmitter class is that Energy represents the apparent "thickness" of the effect and Emission represents the maximum particles to produce per second (not real time, based on the time scale of the simulation which varies quite a bit sometimes.)

Now, using all of these fields to tune the dust can be a challenge when you have no idea how they are used. So, I'm going to display the code that uses these fields below:

maxEnergy = [COLOR=#004085][B]Mathf[/B][/COLOR].[COLOR=#191970][B]Clamp[/B][/COLOR](((speed / [I]maxDustEnergyDiv[/I]) * [I]tweakScaleCorrector[/I]), [I]minDustEnergy[/I], [I]maxDustEnergy[/I]);
maxEmission = [COLOR=#004085][B]Mathf[/B][/COLOR].[COLOR=#191970][B]Clamp[/B][/COLOR]((speed * ([I]maxDustEmissionMult[/I] * [I]tweakScaleCorrector[/I])), [I]minDustEmission[/I], ([I]maxDustEmission[/I] * [I]tweakScaleCorrector[/I]));
maxSize = [COLOR=#004085][B]Mathf[/B][/COLOR].[COLOR=#191970][B]Clamp[/B][/COLOR]((speed * [I]tweakScaleCorrector[/I]), [I]minDustSize[/I], [I]maxDustSize[/I]);

"speed" represents the current vessel speed over the surface of the planet.

"tweakScaleCorrector" represents the current scale value produced from the TweakScale mod. If Tweakscale is not installed, or there is an error produced, then this variable will initialize as its default of 1.

In the Clamp methods, the various inputs are Expression, Minimum, and Maximum respectively. This effectively clamps whatever the expression puts out to the values specified or calculated in the min/max parameters.

Hopefully this gives you all a better idea of how things are done right now. I hope to expose even more to the configs as time goes on and new features are added. I also still intend on making a version of the module that will work on non-KF wheels (as if any of us would go back after seeing these ones.)

Ain't seen nothin' yet ;)

With all the behind the scenes stuff sorted, there are loads of parts to churn out now. The rollcage should be next, once the IVA and texturing is finished.

Thank you Gaalidas! This mod is out of control, so much awesome stuff. :sticktongue:

This is just the beginning. You ain't seen "out of control" yet. Well, actually, you probably have if you've looked at Smokescreen... but we're more chaotic in that we're covering multiple subjects at the same time, where Smokescreen is just about particles. Still, I'm nowhere near the level of customization control that that mod provides. Still, I intend that anything I write for KSP will, in the end, be able to be overridden in almost every way possible at the part config level. It's an ambitious goal, but I think I've made excellent progress as it is.

lo-fi... I wouldn't say all the "behind the scenes" stuff is out of the way. I've got some cool stuff going into the code soon. In fact, I already committed my changes to allow changing the interval by which the slider and action groups can change the ride height, and I have plans to add specific levels as action group options as well. So, in theory, if you wanted to hit one button and go from a height of 20 to a height of 80, you could accomplish that. Lots more little convenience stuff like that in the works.

Edited by Gaalidas

First off, I wanted to way that this mod is awesome and that this finally made rovers fun to drive. My KSP stress reliever lately has been taking a 22 ton rover off sweet jumps and jousting buildings.

Some of the Kerbals have been expressing concerns about Jeb's unhealthy enthusiasm for this.

6HYXGaG.png

I did have some questions about the K.F.L.E.R.B. though. It's awesome but is a bit hard to integrate with other components. The K&K colonization elements kinds of sort of fit the front and aft nodes. (as seen above) but I keep seeing screenshots of it being used with some sort of roll-cage cockpit. Is that something from a different mod or is it a beta item that hasn't been included in the library yet?

I did find one small bug, the rear attachment node is a tiny, tiny bit low. If you put a procedural tank in that spot that is fit to the port diameter, there is a small gap above and a small overlap at the bottom.

If work is still ongoing on this part, I would like to make a few feature requests:

- A separate version or a switchable variant that gets rid of the air intakes and instead uses those side lobes for a ton of reaction wheel control (say 200+). It's always tricky to maintain fore/aft balance when using vertical thrusters. (in this case, a pair of the K&K colony thrusters) Even if it's balanced in the VAB, things can get out of wack pretty fast as the CoG moves with fuel usage. Having a lot of reaction wheel command authority really helps to counteract this but my rovers are now studded in reaction wheels and it looks kind of dumb. It doesn't have to have a visual change but if there were one, I was thinking that the side lobes would lose the yellow intake grids and gain a series of circular lumps along their length.

- Fore/aft RCS ports! 0-G maneuvering requires adding some fore/aft thrusters and doing so tends to mess up the cool lines of the body.

- More powerful thrusters - given the mass of the rovers that get made with this part, 1 kN thrusters are a little wimpy. Maybe bump them up to 2? I went into the part definition and edited this and 2 seemed to be pretty good for maneuverability without being overpowered.

- At least one bottom node - making it simpler to attach this part radially onto rockets.

- Some sort of vertical bipropellant (or NTR if I'm wishing for a magic pony) thrusters that can be plugged into the fore/aft of the craft. Or if Santa comes early this year, integrated into the main lander body? I'm using the K&K "Meerkat" thrusters right now and it works but it's really janky. Also, being able to lower part count and having fewer tanks to juggle would be nice.

- A set of items sized for the cargo bay - fuel tanks, KIS containers and crew modules.

Thanks again for the awesome mod, I've been having a blast driving around. Often quite literally.

Some nice ideas, thank you. I'll certainly fix the node placement, but not something I'm actively developing. Remodeling I'm not keen on - it was such a lot of work to texture as it is!

Reaction wheels are a good idea, though, and I think the thrusters got nerfed when the atmosphere curves changed, now I think about it.

I designed it to hold 1.25m payloads, so hadn't really planned any specific cargo, but that might be fun if something special comes up.

The cockpit is from the space tug, which you'll find on KerbalStuff with a quick Google. The IVA is incomplete as yet, though.

I still think we need to cut the rover body up into a front, open-ended middle (with a shorter version of the middle for modular cargo bay construction), and a rear, but definitely not a priority right now. This mod is mostly about the "parts that move stuff over other stuff." Anything else provided is more or less an afterthought.

I've already been in touch with the author. Looks like RoverDude is working on it with him! This is going to be truly awesome! :D

For anyone that missed it:

I think ultimately the structural parts will need moving into a separate mod, Gaalidas.

So, quick question: What's "ModuleWaterSlider", and what does it do? Because for some reason, it's blowing up a probe that has NO KerbalFoundries parts on it at all! I know, it doesn't make any sense to me either, but here is a copy/paste of the (I believe) relevant section of my output log where the trouble begins:

HECS2.ProbeCore collided into ModuleWaterSlider.Collider - relative velocity: 360.5763 - impact momentum: 360.6

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)HECS2.ProbeCore Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)
Input is null

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)
Input is null

[HECS2.ProbeCore]: Deactivated

[04:00:38]: HECS-2 Probe Core crashed into ModuleWaterSlider.Collider.

[Kerbal Foundries - ModuleWaterSlider]: WaterSlider start.

[Kerbal Foundries - ModuleWaterSlider]: Setting size to zero and returning.

Etc., spam, etc., you get the idea...

Hopefully this information helps. I had a really good Asteroid intercept mission going, and I've tried several permutations of this mission in order to try to get around the problem, and this explosion ALWAYS happens in the vicinity (within ~1,000 km, fwiw) of the asteroid, not before then. But then, if I 'revert to launch' to try to restart the mission, the entire rocket stack immediately starts undergoing R.U.D. That's 'Rapid Unplanned Disassembly' for the slow ones in the back. :) And then the game usually crashes at this point, running out of memory, but that happens to me all the time, it's nothing specific to this problem, so anyway...

Oh, uh, other important info: Sandbox mode, latest version of KSP (1.0.4), newest version of Kerbal Foundries, the one that just came out the other day, let's see, what else... I think that's all the major stuff.

Look forward to hearing if anyone else is having this issue.

Later! :D

Is there a bugfix out now?

Constantly, Ships explode after loading from quicksave or tracking station. Or, even better, out of the blue, the heatshield colides into the pod. And everytime comes the cause "ModuleWaterSlider collided into... <something>" Very very strange because i didn't even started to use "Kerbal Foundries"-Parts on my Career yet.

If i delete the mod, everything is fine. :/ The only solution right now is using Alt-F12 and cheating.

I read that this is part of the hover-parts, but deleting only them makes no difference because the code is in the plugin.

Maybe you can make a seperate download without the hover-features?

Is there a bugfix out now?

Constantly, Ships explode after loading from quicksave or tracking station. Or, even better, out of the blue, the heatshield colides into the pod. And everytime comes the cause "ModuleWaterSlider collided into... <something>" Very very strange because i didn't even started to use "Kerbal Foundries"-Parts on my Career yet.

If i delete the mod, everything is fine. :/ The only solution right now is using Alt-F12 and cheating.

I read that this is part of the hover-parts, but deleting only them makes no difference because the code is in the plugin.

Maybe you can make a seperate download without the hover-features?

Try version 1.9b, theres a bugfix in there. I haven't run into the bug with it, yet.

I have had some 'collides with the surface' while in midair wierdness, but I suspect that was KSP and not the mod.