1,282 members have voted

1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

I know I am no programmer, (HAve messed with programing/robotics games though sometimes but not enough to be "Good" necessarily) though this does remind me vaguely of when I worked with some robotics stuff on Garrysmod Wiremod, and a few other robotics games, where you could counteract a jitter like that using a Delta V situation, where it would reduce/increase the amount of force dependent on how much, or how little it over/undershot, so that way it would get less and less and eventually become 'stable' according to the game, and visibility, even though it was not necessarily, just the oscillations are too small to notice/render and would make it be smooth and precise, and the way you set it up would affect how aggressive the effect was, I suppose like a PID situation or something, like the PID control alterations in the LUa code I have seen on creations from "From the Depths" and like the blocks the game itself includes to help prevent over-oscillating if you want it...

....I doubt this was helpful or insightful, but it does remind me of it considering the 'unending ocilations' and the fact that Those can 'fix' or at least make it less of a problem in other situatiosn/games/things.. But I don't know if it helps at all here...

Edited by Ryusho
Editing minor info.

4 hours ago, Ryusho said:

I know I am no programmer, (HAve messed with programing/robotics games though sometimes but not enough to be "Good" necessarily) though this does remind me vaguely of when I worked with some robotics stuff on Garrysmod Wiremod, and a few other robotics games, where you could counteract a jitter like that using a Delta V situation, where it would reduce/increase the amount of force dependent on how much, or how little it over/undershot,

The trouble is we don't know where the static rest position is (and it will change with vehicle orientation) so there's no knowing if a given movement is an overshoot or not.

On 7/16/2016 at 1:34 PM, damerell said:

The trouble is we don't know where the static rest position is (and it will change with vehicle orientation) so there's no knowing if a given movement is an overshoot or not.

.That would definately cause an issue..., like I said, I'm no programmer, and the stuff I made, it's 'rest' value changed depending on where something moved, since it was to make it look at a target/object, so it would have t hat for its reference for its static rest position, but yeah, if you don't know the static rest position is or have a way to figure it out, that would indeed make such not work...or work well/right

Really would love for it to work on 1.1.3 I am going to downgrade KSP only to use this mod plz make it work and if I were to remove everything except the cfg's and mu's needed for the repulsors would it work for 1.1.3??      Anywho plzz make it twerk:D

48 minutes ago, TARDISES said:

SOMEONE hasn't read the last few pages.

They are TRYING to get it to work with 1.1.x.

The problem is unity 5.

I know I know I just wanted to know when meanwhile I'll install KSP 1.0.5:sticktongue:

Just now, Mako453 said:

I know I know I just wanted to know when meanwhile I'll install KSP 1.0.5:sticktongue:

50 minutes ago, TARDISES said:

SOMEONE hasn't read the last few pages.

They are TRYING to get it to work with 1.1.x.

The problem is unity 5.

That sum1 is me :lol:

12 hours ago, Mako453 said:

That sum1 is me :lol:

And once you've read the last few pages you'll know what people who ask that question get ...

hqdefault.jpg

:)

Edited by timmers_uk
add more happiness

2 hours ago, timmers_uk said:

And once you've read the last few pages you'll know what people who ask that question get ...

hqdefault.jpg

:)

Yesterday I found out it works marvelous on 1.1.3 only thing is u can't really modify the height but it adjusts itself depending on what u have under the craft other than the repulsors I still haven't checked if I can put what side the long tank tracks are on but I play KSP every day whilst working on my own mods KSP MODS I'll post them as soon as I'm done :D:rolleyes:

7 hours ago, Mako453 said:

Yesterday I found out it works marvelous on 1.1.3 only thing is u can't really modify the height but it adjusts itself depending on what u have under the craft other than the repulsors I still haven't checked if I can put what side the long tank tracks are on but I play KSP every day whilst working on my own mods KSP MODS I'll post them as soon as I'm done :D:rolleyes:

You sure your talking about the right mod there dude? THey don't  work at all in 1.1.3 from what 99% of people seem to of said, except for the Rover Body part.

21 hours ago, Ryusho said:

You sure your talking about the right mod there dude? THey don't  work at all in 1.1.3 from what 99% of people seem to of said, except for the Rover Body part.

I'm talking about Kerbal Foundries and 99% of ppl might be referring to the fact that u can't set action groups or modify parts but the parts appear u can place them and it levitates:rolleyes::sticktongue:

Hello, sorry for very late reply. As you may know from a few posts back, I've been suffering from a lower back injury, which has meant I've not been able to sit still for longer than about half an hour. Not conducive to coding, I'm afraid :( The good news is I've been having some great treatment, so I'm able to start picking it up again. Sorry to those of you who are patiently waiting - it's put me back many weeks. Thank you all for your patience.

Special thanks to those who've stepped in with the fish slapping - I've been most amused :wink:

15 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

Hello, sorry for very late reply. As you may know from a few posts back, I've been suffering from a lower back injury, which has meant I've not been able to sit still for longer than about half an hour. Not conducive to coding, I'm afraid :( The good news is I've been having some great treatment, so I'm able to start picking it up again. Sorry to those of you who are patiently waiting - it's put me back many weeks. Thank you all for your patience.

Special thanks to those who've stepped in with the fish slapping - I've been most amused :wink:

dont worry about it, your feeling somewhat better and thats whats important :) 

On 7/19/2016 at 3:18 PM, Ryusho said:
56 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

Man I got fish slapped now I stink and my cheeks hurt anyway I seem to be the only one who kerbal foundries works for the parts appear only u can't set action groups with them or modify anything of the kerbal foundries tracks in general......:lol::wink:...and get well soon!:confused:

And thank you for your wonderful work.....I bid you good day.

Edited by Mako453
Misspelling

@lo-fi wow... Sorry to hear about the back issues...

I've recently been in that boat: I had anterior AND posterior LIF done all in one shot... $69,000 worth of titanium hardware alone... :P

Unfortunately, my recovery didnt go well, so still have issues...Like wise, i cant sit, stand, walk, or lay down for much longer than an hour at a time...
People see me walking around fine (usually), and think "Yeah...Whatever...:rolleyes:"...
But think about those 4 positions/activities I mentioned... If you are not doing one of those 4 at any one time, what else ARE you doing?... Not much...
People mostly do not realise just how debilitating a back issue can be, even though you LOOK fine 90% of the time...

Anyway, if you havent already, lo-fi, ask for and try to get a good TENS unit, and a good, large electric heating pad... I have a TENS that has the separate "sticky" pads you can place directly on your skin, but that became kind of a PIA all the time, so they gave me a WIDE, soft elastic waist "belt", that has 4 electrodes with velcro, that you can position anywhere on the belt, and that you dont have to mess with every time you use the TENS...

They help A LOT when my back gets close to going out... I try to use those before taking my meds... I have pretty heavy meds, and considering I've been "on" them for over 10yrs, I save them as a last resort...

And as you probably know, PT & regular walking helps... Sometimes I can grab my 4-legged Granny walker, and walk off the spasms & pain before my back completely seizes up...

Hope you recover soon :)

Edited by Stone Blue

1 hour ago, lo-fi said:

As you may know from a few posts back, I've been suffering from a lower back injury, which has meant I've not been able to sit still for longer than about half an hour. Not conducive to coding, I'm afraid :( The good news is I've been having some great treatment, so I'm able to start picking it up again. Sorry to those of you who are patiently waiting - it's put me back many weeks. Thank you all for your patience.

[edited by adsii1970 for relevant content]

Your health is more important than this game or any mod. Take things slow, do what your doctor says, and don't overdo it.

22 minutes ago, V8jester said:

@lo-fi we're all just glad to hear you're on the mend. KF in all its glory can wait. You need to take care of you before you can take care of the rest of us. Feel better man, and thanks for everything you do.

Yes, I agree with this. Don't worry about those who whine about KF not being updated three weeks ago. Too many people have no idea that it takes time to code the mods and have less understanding that there are a lot of people that have a life outside of the virtual world...

1 minute ago, Stone Blue said:

@lo-fi wow... Sorry to hear about the back issues...

I've recently been in that boat: I had anterior AND posterior LIF done all in one shot... $69,000 worth of titanium hardware alone... :P

Unfortunately, my recovery didnt go well, so still have issues...Like wise, i cant sit, stand, walk, or lay down for much longer than an hour at a time...
People see me walking around fine (usually), and think "Yeah...Whatever...:rolleyes:"...
But think about those 4 positions/activities I mentioned... If you are not doing one of those 4 at any one time, what else ARE you doing?... Not much...
People mostly do not realise just how debilitating a back issue can be, even though you LOOK fine 90% of the time...

Anyway, if you havent already, lo-fi, ask for and try to get a good TENS unit, and a good, large electric heating pad... They help A LOT when my back gets close to going out... I try to use those before taking my meds... I have pretty heavy meds, and considering I've been "on" them for over 10yrs, I save them as a last resort...

And as you probably know, PT & regular walking helps... Sometimes I can grab my 4-legged Granny walker, and walk off the spasms & pain before my back completely seizes up...

Hope you recovery soon :)

I do not have hardware in my back but in my left knee and on my left femur. I had an accident in the army and broke my leg in two places; I cracked the head of the femur and then had a vertical spit in the exterior of the bone. I sorta followed the doctor's instructions nearly 30 years ago (dang, has 1989 really been that long ago?) and, to be honest, there are still issues and sharp pains. What is really weird, I get a tingly feeling in that bone (has two titanium bands, six screws, a rod, and a plate) right before nearby lightening strikes!

I agree with @Stone Blue, you're better off only using the pain killers when you absolutely need them. I have seen a lot of veterans at the V.A. that have become addicted to pain killers. Now mine is not a back issue, although I did compress L1 through L3 in the same accident, I have found that continuing to do the PT exercises long after the therapy is "over" actually helps. I now walk with only a slight limp on rainy days and have not used a cane in about fifteen years. Oh, and I agree...heating pads are the best medicine...

Best of wishes for a quick and complete recovery!

7 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

What is really weird, I get a tingly feeling in that bone (has two titanium bands, six screws, a rod, and a plate) right before nearby lightening strikes!

Electrostatics are weird, aren't they?

@lo-fi

Kick back and get well man

The latest dev notes mentioned some progress on the wheels front.

Crossing yet another ocean we find Brian (Arsonide) working on the wheels. The version of Vehicle Physics Pro we were using was out of date, and was designed around Unity as it was many versions ago, back in May of last year. Upgrading that will help make wheels much more stable than they have been. This week we managed to get the new version of VPP compiled and in-game in Unity 5.4, and Brian also took the opportunity to rip out most of the workarounds we had in place for wheel issues present in earlier versions of Unity. Basically that means that wheel “blocking” no longer exists, among other things, which should bring joy to many players no doubt. There is still a good deal of work to be done with the upgrade, but things are looking good with wheels.

On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 9:13 AM, gomker said:

@lo-fi

Kick back and get well man

The latest dev notes mentioned some progress on the wheels front.

1 minute ago, TARDISES said:

So the problem with the wheels was not actually entirely the fault of Unity 5, but rather of outdated software?

Two completely separate fronts there.

Some of the stock wheel problems were partially with outdated software (both Unity and VPP), and partially with the terrible wheel-collider implementation;  the outdated software problems will likely be fixed, but the underlying limitations of the terrible wheel-collider system will remain.  But fixing the stock problems through the updated software/packages will not fix KF or other custom wheels.

The problems preventing KF from working are 100% Unity's terrible wheel-collider implementation (both the limitations in place and how terrible it actually is); nothing in stock KSP will improve that situation, even the Unity upgrade to 5.4 will not help.

Just now, TARDISES said:

I'm not doubting that Unity 5 is somewhat to blame, but the outdated software made it nearly impossible to overcome the problem there.

For stock wheels, sure.

For the custom wheel solution we are coming up with -- we are not using any of that 'outdated software';  we are not using any parts of VPP, nor are we using any parts of Unity's wheel system.

So no, the outdated software has nothing to do with KerbalFoundries.

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Sounds like a hell of an op, and a long road to full recovery @Stone Blue :o Hope it goes well.

I've got stuck back in doing short stints, refactoring so I really get a grip on what's what and unpicking the suspension bits I need to remove to get the joints to work.