1,282 members have voted

1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

@lo-fi  I've updated the 'dev' branch with the merged in friction code.  It is still very much a WIP, but might be far enough along to start testing/verifying other concepts.  I added a rough correction factor for the suspension force application, but that might need a bit of tuning as well; was working much better than without it, but still seems a bit off.

7 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Will the hypnodrive be returning?

Once we've got this new collider nailed, everything previously released with be returning in its new improved form.

6 hours ago, V8jester said:

And did you ever get around to reshaping around the Kerbal hands?

IIRC, I found something incredibly annoying.... male and femaie Kerbals sit in different positions. It drove me insane until I realised :mad: 

1 hour ago, Shadowmage said:

@lo-fi  I've updated the 'dev' branch with the merged in friction code.  It is still very much a WIP, but might be far enough along to start testing/verifying other concepts.  I added a rough correction factor for the suspension force application, but that might need a bit of tuning as well; was working much better than without it, but still seems a bit off.

Awesome, taking a look now :)

Anyone catching the Perseids meteor shower? Was epic around my way last night.

1 hour ago, lo-fi said:

IIRC, I found something incredibly annoying.... male and femaie Kerbals sit in different positions. It drove me insane until I realised :mad: 

That's so cool!

Now I am excited 

" an idea for a canadarm that will rock the KSP world's socks off if I can make it work "

Thats awesome if it had a similar interface to control it like the old Romfarer arms had it would be total win 

z8KpXnC.jpg

Edited by Virtualgenius

@lo-fi, do you need an additional tester? Since I got time around these few days I could help in. :)

Ps. Not sure if I want to have tester status for the Offical KSP thingy.( I already have 1 for rimworld!)

Edited by Joshwoo70
Days!

7 minutes ago, damerell said:

I'm sure as soon as lo-fi and Shadowmage have something other people can usefully test, they will let us know.

I second this. Not good to poke the Bears.

Be patient. And make another bag of popcorn.

1 hour ago, V8jester said:

bag of popcorn

Microwaved popcorn is... Well, let's just say I don't eat it.  I've been doing stove-popped lately, and can't get enough of it.

As for the wheels, I'm just keeping relaxed on this.  I'm in no great hurry.

We're a good way away from testing, I'm afraid.... More the quietly poking things, hoping they do something and don't explode sort of stage. 

And popcorn? I'm with Madrias: fresh off the stove or nothing (unless it's the Toffee covered kind, then I make an exception). 

Edited by lo-fi

If the Kerbals didn't want things to explode, why did they build everything out of Explodium?  After all, exceeding impact tolerances doesn't result in a crumpled tin can, it results in a Kerbin-Shattering Kaboom.

Sorry I've been a bit quiet this week; been busy at work lately and it has left little energy/motivation for coding after work.  Should have a bit of time tomorrow and Sunday to do additional testing and development on what we have so far.  It was looking fairly good when I worked on it last, but there is undoubtedly some stuff that still needs cleaned up and/or fixed.

Sadly it cannot be tested in KSP 1.1.3 as-is due to the changes in Unity between 5.2.4 and 5.3+ (and 5.4).  May do a bit of investigation to see if I can get it working in 5.2 with a few changes.... but might have to wait until 1.2 is available for any real testing.

@lo-fi did you have any luck locating information regarding the mod/developer testing access for 1.2?

3 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Cool pic! lo-fi plz make wheels like that

2 hours ago, lo-fi said:

I don't have a working copy of 3D studio any more and blender makes me turn into an enormous green rage monster. Isn't pretty :(

I might undertake the modeling, though I have no idea how to texture or bludgeon Unity into accepting it. Don't count on it, though. I've got a submission for a contest to model up, and then lots of schoolwork.

As for the choice of program: I learned on Blender about a month ago and have no experience with any other program. So, Blender it is.

6 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

I might undertake the modeling, though I have no idea how to texture or bludgeon Unity into accepting it. Don't count on it, though. I've got a submission for a contest to model up, and then lots of schoolwork.

As for the choice of program: I learned on Blender about a month ago and have no experience with any other program. So, Blender it is.

I was about to offer, under the proviso that someone clarifies copyright of the image for re-use as design for gaming objects.  Also, you'd need to know the requirements for whatever wheel modules you're working towards.

That said, that "buggy"'s wheels would probably even work with stock wheels.  Doesn't look like they'd be blocked.  They still wouldn't act quite like wheels of course.  And the lever arm suspension as illustrated is clearly better suited to KF wheels than KSP stock wheels.

If you guys would like to model it, I can do another YouTube tutorial on setting up with KF, or do the Unity bit myself. I have quite a cunning way of rigging up asymmetric designs that you can't do with stock :) We can use the process to pass on some knowledge too! It's no good having it all locked in my head. 

@Shadowmage, I'm looking into toggling the sticky friction at low speeds - it's just a case of playing with the linear X spring value. Similarly for being stopped with the brakes applied for the Z. I think adding it in slowly as speed drops will be better than simply toggling on/off and should lead to less funny handling potential. Other than that, it looks OK, and I can probably bash into 5.2 compatible without much work.