1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

1 hour ago, V8jester said:

Yes indeed. I seem to recall a set on cfg's for stock wheels once spoon a time. And I recall I didn't miss anything about the stock system :)

You guys planning a similar approach this time around with stock wheel compatibility?

I had the stock conversion 90% done when we encountered the 'force-based-harmonic-oscillations-due-to-critical-dampening' issue (which caused us to start from scratch using joints).

As far as I know it is still on the table; if it doesn't get included with KF, I'll release a stand-alone set of patches to fix up the stock parts.

Hey y'all.  Just popping in to say I have not, as has been passed around in the alley ways, died and rotted.  Well... I haven't died anyway.  Life is, after all, a slow rotting of our bodies until we stop functioning... so to speak...

Okay, that's disgusting to think about... moving on.

I was looking at a stream of Planet Nomads which, according to those streamers, is built on Unity and, from what I've witnessed, has some pretty interesting wheel physics going on.  Derpy as heck, but functional including suspension systems and whatnot.  This certainly means it's possible to get this stuff to work to some degree as far as the engine is concerned.  It is, at the very least, able to provide some hope for better wheel physics in KSP eventually.

Hey buddy, good to hear from you.

Planet nomads looks interesting, I wonder what they're using as wheel simulation... Although the stock U5 colliders work OK for simple rigidbody stuff. It's KSP that sends them wild.

1 hour ago, Moggiog said:

Is it possible to get an ETA on the U5 version of Kerbal Foundries?

of course mate; it's a ksp 1.2 release date + 2 months + a random number of days (to account for unexpected bugs and delays of development)

edit: oh yeah, an obligatory fish slap for you sir:

fish.slapping.dance.jpg

Edited by riocrokite

10 hours ago, Moggiog said:

I could come up with the date with a couple calendars and a cannon...  But otherwise, the ETA is "When it gets here."

22 hours ago, Moggiog said:

Poor guy lol. He's gonna be fish slapped into next month.... 

Still, all in good fun.... [WHACK] [thump] :D 

Heheheheheheheheheheheheee!! 

On 9/1/2016 at 10:38 AM, Moggiog said:

latest?cb=20130708042120

...SOMEONE had to do it! So why not the guy who started the trend of using the Holy Mackerel for it in the first place?

Seriously impressed with the effort gone into the fish slapping! 

RL stuff (making the most of the short summer we have here!)  has meant I've not had a lot of time to do much of anything, so slow progress. Things are quieting down though and I'm finally able to sit in front of the pc for a decent stint without my back screaming at me, so I'll be back into properly in the coming week :)

I also managed to find my copy of 3D studio, so I'll eventually be able to do some modeling stuff again! Quite looking forward to that.

@Shadowmage

I can't fault your friction implementation, it seems spot on in the U5 rig. Really looking good. Looking at sticky friction to get rid of that tiny bit of creep on slopes at very low speeds, though:

We can use the lateral and forward joint drives just like the suspension, and it works like a charm. Rock solid on side slopes :). Manipulating the xDrive spring value gives an easy way to phase it in as speed drops, so there need not be any nasty transition, but it ought to be tied into the slip of the tyre in the forward direction. Before I go messing with too much, is there an elegant way to add this into your methods? I have a feeling the absolute numbers on this one are going to be an eyeballed "this kinda feels right", but the implementation will want some looking at. Any ideas?

If we can get this one last bit nailed I'll look at wrapping it into 5.2 form (it's only really the joint related bits that are different), building a PartModule to add it into parts that have been exported with wheel colliders and wrapping the KF plugin around it.

First bug report... When using tank steering using differential torque, the vehicle continues to rotate for double the amount of time the control input is applied for. Debug force lines confirm, and I've checked that my very simple control script isn't doing anything odd - it drops torque back to zero at the correct point when the key is released. I've disabled the lateral sticky friction joint drive too, which actually makes it worse!

I can make a youtube or send the scene if you need, but this one ought to be easy enough to reproduce.

6 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

First bug report... When using tank steering using differential torque, the vehicle continues to rotate for double the amount of time the control input is applied for. Debug force lines confirm, and I've checked that my very simple control script isn't doing anything odd - it drops torque back to zero at the correct point when the key is released. I've disabled the lateral sticky friction joint drive too, which actually makes it worse!

I can make a youtube or send the scene if you need, but this one ought to be easy enough to reproduce.

Perhaps the inertia is the issue here? Takes n time to start spinning, n time to stop spinning, right?

@lo-fi

What you are probably seeing is the wheels are breaking loose and continuing to accelerate, and it is taking n additional seconds for the built-up inertia in the wheel to be bled off through friction (which continues to turn the vehicle). 

Take a look at the wheel rpm/angular rate while you are turning, if it is something crazy then the wheel is broken loose/spinning in place and will take a bit to spin down.

Try 1.) Increasing fwd friction; this will prevent breaking loose and apply greater friction to spin down the wheel faster. 2.) Add an RPM limiter to your input script by decreasing/zeroing torque when a specified max rpm is reached; this prevents extreme excess road/wheel velocity differences and the maximum spin-down time when it breaks loose. 3.) Increase the wheelMass value; this will decrease the angular velocity input for the same torque input, but will also decrease the wheels want to break loose and limit its acceleration when it does break loose.

Also note that the friction curves need a bit of adjusting to have the 'hump' come a bit later in the curve, this will also decrease the wheels wanting to break loose/spin in place, but will need a bit of time playing around with it to get the right feel.  Might also need tuning on a per-wheel basis for different wheel setups.

my suggestions:

-Christie suspension

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christie_suspension

-Prebuilt tank hulls (for lazy people)

-armored tracks (like Churchill and B1 Bis)

Image result for churchill I

Image result for B1 bis

-also, would be nice to have some sort of customizable tracks that fit around other parts, but I don't know if that would be possible.

(and please, add the TOG II)

Image result for TOG II profile

51 minutes ago, Cornelius McMuffin said:

my suggestions:

I believe your suggestions are a bit premature. Keep in mind the guys are trying to get the physics to work with them at the moment; we'd be lucky to see a stock conversion by 1.2. Additionally, if you want these items to be present in the game, learn how to model and create one yourself! Grab yourself Blender or something and fab up a couple of models. The documentation is easy to find, and all the tools are free of cost.

Additionally, some of your suggestions are outside the scope of Kerbal Foundries (by my interpretation). Prebuilt tank hulls and a specific tank are the realm of your own mod, based upon the groundwork of Kerbal Foundries.

im pretty sure the point is to perfect the wheels it's self. any idiot can make a tank in KSP, or steal some texture files from an online resource.

also, im not to sure how your setup here works, but with your tank track issue, have you considered the direction that the friction is applied? consider that you're turning a tank on the spot; the tracks are essentially moving sideways, not forwards. perhaps if there's a way to make a far greater resistance on the wheels moving sideways maybe that would help? change the perpendicular friction variables?