1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

58 minutes ago, Herr Doktor Strangemember said:

With everyone carping on being schooled by fish, this thread might just flounder. :-)

Well there's no sense getting all crappie about it. The fish is there to serve a specific porpoise. 

Finally fixed the darn bump stops!! For those of you not familiar with the term: suspension compression limits. Many, many hours of head scratching went into that one. Why the Unity documentation is so poor, I don't know. Sorry for the delay, @Shadowmage, it was not easy to find. Pointless handing it over with that rather fundamental aspect broken though. Code tidy and comment, then I'll hand over. 

Neutral steering. Yes, of course, I'd forgotten that term. As already pointed out, yes it is supported. I'm hoping to improve the steering in the next version of the plugin too

Edited by lo-fi

Now before anyone lobs in a Marlin....

This question is for the working 1.0.5 version.

Has anyone ever messed with a vehicle with the repulsers docked to another vessel? More specifically I am working on a Navy LCAC (Hovercraft) and I built a boat to acomidate two of them inside. I have the LCAC docked to the boat on spawn. Place the whole thing in the water with V.M. And everything works great. Undock hover craft, still works but, I nolonger have the AG setup for inc/dec height. And when the LCAC departs into the water it is now way to low in the water with no ability to increase height. Any good suggestions? Also on that not as no one has really been talking about repulsers.... They are still on the table for future builds of KF right? I literally just started messing with them more seriously about a week ago. Really like how they act like super long travel shocks and not just hold a specific height like invisible stilts. Been making a LCAC build seriously challenging though. Wound up using hidden landing gear to absorb a hard landing over rolling terrain.

Edited by V8jester

Does a save/reload after undocking fix it? Can you change height using RCM? It'll be some interesting little gotcha like that I've missed.

The repulsors will 100% be back. In fact, they'll be the first things to come out of the foundry before wheels, tracks or anything else. They rely on the same tech as wheels, but, of course, need none of the grip stuff to work. Hovercraft skirts would actually be quite possible, it's just something I never got around to modelling.

3 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

@Shadowmage please ignore the latest commit, I've got my GitHub in a pickle :blush:

:)

No problem, been busy so far today getting back into the swing of work... cleaning up the mess that my temp replacements left for me, taking care of all the important/sensitive stuff that they couldn't do while I was away.

Might have time to start looking at it a bit later this afternoon/evening (still playing catch-up at home too)... so no rush.  Should definitely have a bit of time later in the week after I get caught up a bit more.

Just give me a shout out when you think it is all ready :)

6 hours ago, lo-fi said:

Finally fixed the darn bump stops!! For those of you not familiar with the term: suspension compression limits. Many, many hours of head scratching went into that one. Why the Unity documentation is so poor, I don't know. Sorry for the delay, @Shadowmage, it was not easy to find. Pointless handing it over with that rather fundamental aspect broken though. Code tidy and comment, then I'll hand over. 

Neutral steering. Yes, of course, I'd forgotten that term. As already pointed out, yes it is supported. I'm hoping to improve the steering in the next version of the plugin too

Excellent to hear good progress on suspension!

Regarding the steering...can we have a toggleable option here? The current model in the 1.0.x plugin should be one option, the other a simpler clutch-brake steering that can at most simply lock one track and requires forward throttle input to steer from a dead stop? Perhaps it could even let us use tracks a little earlier in the tech tree. We'd start out with tracked rovers that move in a bit of a herky-jerky manner, ala M4 Sherman, T-34, etc, then as we progress we unlock neutral steering and the much smoother mixing we see in the currently released mode. Having it as a toggleable option means that we, for whatever reason(Replica building? Testing in sandbox for a career build?), can use either mode on a whim once both are available.

FWIW I usually find myself feathering in enough throttle to effectively clutch-brake around anyway, as I find it faster to traverse the vehicle than letting it pivot.

Edited by Kenobi McCormick

1 hour ago, lo-fi said:

Hovercraft skirts would actually be quite possible, it's just something I never got around to modelling.

That would actually be really cool if this ever comes around. If not no worries. But if I may. You may want to consider making a skirt in either 4-6 sections. Or if you could adopt some kind of Procedural mentality to make them. Also the issue I am currently fighting. An inflatable nose. The SXT crash bags work fairly well. But have the phisics of a flubber ball filled with nitro glycerine. Many Kerbals died in the creation of my LCAC.

I didn't try a reload after launch but I'll give that a shot tonight.

Cool, I've got it fixed now. I know how you feel about going on holiday; I'm self employed, so going away is a complete nightmare.

Commenting and formatting to follow - I just wanted to get a working copy committed. Will see if I can bodge the Unity scene into co-operating too, but basically treat my new class like the old wheel collider.

Of particular note:

• "sticky friction" and suspension is controlled by the joint drives.
  • specifically, lateral friction is controlled solely via the xDrive. This can simply be manipulated at any speed and need not be only for sticky friction.
  • forward friction is controlled in the same manner by the zDrive. An interesting way to manipulate this might be simply pulling the contact object fore and aft.
  • No attempt has been made to destroy the suspension joint when contact with the ground is left. It simply seamlessly transitions into becoming an ordinary kinematic joint and follows the wheel GO around gracefully. As there's nothing of the contact GO to interact with anything else, this seems to cause no problems.
  • Bump stops are controlled by the linear joint limit. 
  • I've included no control inputs. I've just been using a script to "push" the craft around with a magic force, which seemed more appropriate when testing sticky friction.
  • Punch-through performance can be improved by clever trickery with where the ray is cast from. It will only ever be as good as the cast used, however. Spheres are far better in this respect!!

• 4 minutes ago, Kenobi McCormick said:

Regarding the steering...can we have a toggleable option here? The current model in the 1.0.x plugin should be one option, the other a simpler clutch-brake steering that can at most simply lock one track and requires forward throttle input to steer from a dead stop? Perhaps it could even let us use tracks a little earlier in the tech tree. We'd start out with tracked rovers that move in a bit of a herky-jerky manner, ala M4 Sherman, T-34, etc, then as we progress we unlock neutral steering and the much smoother mixing we see in the currently released mode. Having it as a toggleable option means that we, for whatever reason(Replica building? Testing in sandbox for a career build?), can use either mode on a whim once both are available.

FWIW I usually find myself feathering in enough throttle to effectively clutch-brake around anyway, as I find it faster to traverse the vehicle than letting it pivot.

I don't see why not. You can effectively turn off the neutral steering by setting the steeringTorque curve to zero in the config, should you so desire. 

4 minutes ago, V8jester said:

That would actually be really cool if this ever comes around. If not no worries. But if I may. You may want to consider making a skirt in either 4-6 sections. Or if you could adopt some kind of Procedural mentality to make them. Also the issue I am currently fighting. An inflatable nose. The SXT crash bags work fairly well. But have the phisics of a flubber ball filled with nitro glycerine. Many Kerbals died in the creation of my LCAC.

I didn't try a reload after launch but I'll give that a shot tonight.

Sadly, I don't think procedural skinned meshes will ever be possible, which is what you'd need for the skirt :( 

2 hours ago, lo-fi said:

Hovercraft skirts would actually be quite possible, it's just something I never got around to modelling.

49 minutes ago, V8jester said:

Hi all

It wont surprise anybody to know I've tried it, it used to have repulsors( boo hoo)  that deployed as the skirt inflated but now is on slippy phys material  ( and I'm sure if  lo-fi dusts off the posts memory it'll seem strangely familiar) didn't know if i still had a copy (found it in an old .90 game)(and the original repulsor too)

Spoiler

jsZJ2Dp.png?1

24 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Please elaborate. Are these distinct from what PWings and B9 Procedural Wings have done?

Details on how the skinned meshes are setup can be found here. As you can see, you rigidly have to define the relationships between the dummy objects that get manipulated in-game by code and the mesh that's deformed. Creating something that could be pieced together at runtime seems highly unlikely. Anything procedural that's been done in KSP has been mesh that's created real-time, gets manipulated, mapping co-ordinates generated, then stays static. It's a very,very different thing to tracks, skirts or whatever else with deform-able mesh.

1 minute ago, lo-fi said:

Details on how the skinned meshes are setup can be found here. As you can see, you rigidly have to define the relationships between the dummy objects that get manipulated in-game by code and the mesh that's deformed. Creating something that could be pieced together at runtime seems highly unlikely. Anything procedural that's been done in KSP has been mesh that's created real-time, gets manipulated, mapping co-ordinates generated, then stays static. It's a very,very different thing to tracks, skirts or whatever else with deform-able mesh.

That makes sense. As say B9 or regular Proc wings are ridged in game. But wheels / tracks will react to bashing them about on the ground. Well Believe me a couple predefined skirt parts would still be welcome. We could just simply place them as needed. But all that aside I just sit on the bleachers all googly eyed anytime something new and shinny rolls out of the foundry.

17 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

I see. It's the realtime, physics application which is challenging.

How about super-low-friction suspension elements which look like skirts? That way the meshes aren't deforming, but rather just moving about like the components of a wheel's control arms, et cetera. Is that more achievable?

On 9 August 2016 at 0:08 AM, lo-fi said:

Looks like you're new here, so a few words on how this all works. 

From a forum point of view, posting "please make this for me. Please" doesn't tend to be well received. "I'd like to make an M1 hull. Where do I start" or "would love an M1 hull. Anyone got any suggestions? " will get you much further. Modding is a lot of work; please respect that we do this for free, and that making any kind of part is a fair undertaking. 

On a personal note: I've never done requests. Certainly not for replicating real stuff. It's too much work, everyone's  a critic, and I find it uncreative and rather boring. Not that I'm getting at or dissing anyone who likes that sort of thing - there's some stunning replica real stuff out there - it just isn't my bag. Inspiration from real things is a different thing. Taking a look at something, turning it upside down and coming up with something new that kind of resembles it; that's my cup of tea. And, of course, nobody can tell you it "doesn't look right". 

If there's something you really want, the tools are free and the processes are well documented so go get creating! I'm sure if you were to make a decent M1 hull, it would be quite popular. 

I would seriously like to see you make the Hull of the M1 Abrams please, please...BTW, when will you make the mod compatible for x64?

BTW(again),I am not new to this forum...

1 minute ago, Vonnmillard said:

I would seriously like to see you make the Hull of the M1 Abrams please, please...BTW, when will you make the mod compatible for x64?

Killicon_holy_mackerel.png?t=20110425100Killicon_holy_mackerel.png?t=20110425100Killicon_holy_mackerel.png?t=20110425100Killicon_holy_mackerel.png?t=20110425100Killicon_holy_mackerel.png?t=20110425100Killicon_holy_mackerel.png?t=20110425100Killicon_holy_mackerel.png?t=20110425100Killicon_holy_mackerel.png?t=20110425100

Stop asking.

51 minutes ago, Vonnmillard said:

If you aren't new, then you should have read the forum rules, which specifically state that users are not to pester mod developers as to when the mod will be released/updated. It's like a five year old asking: "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" only more so since writing a mod takes so much work. Please, if you say it's so easy, write your own mod to do it, and perhaps you can get them to add it in. I'm sure everyone would appreciate it.

Here are the community rules: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/30064-Community-Rules-October-27th-2013 
In Rule 2.3 section F, it lists among the forbidden posts "Messages that repeat inquiries about updates or content from modders." 

1 hour ago, Vonnmillard said:

@Vonnmillard's post is in direct violation of this rule. If this action is repeated, I will be forced to notify the moderators. Please consider yourself warned.

Edited by Mycroft