1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

7 hours ago, lo-fi said:

If you guys would like to model it, I can do another YouTube tutorial on setting up with KF, or do the Unity bit myself. I have quite a cunning way of rigging up asymmetric designs that you can't do with stock :) We can use the process to pass on some knowledge too! It's no good having it all locked in my head. 

@Shadowmage, I'm looking into toggling the sticky friction at low speeds - it's just a case of playing with the linear X spring value. Similarly for being stopped with the brakes applied for the Z. I think adding it in slowly as speed drops will be better than simply toggling on/off and should lead to less funny handling potential. Other than that, it looks OK, and I can probably bash into 5.2 compatible without much work. 

I am approaching the Lander/rover part of my mods and I would immensely value ANY sort of video guide on how to setup wheel with KF. I've been trying to delay rover parts until there is a better solution than the current stock model and I think KF might be the way to go. I will read back on the lengthy thread at some point to learn more. I am wondering if there is a way to do a rocker-bogie system with KF with animated deployment :)

Thanks for all you do!

15 minutes ago, akron said:

I am approaching the Lander/rover part of my mods and I would immensely value ANY sort of video guide on how to setup wheel with KF. I've been trying to delay rover parts until there is a better solution than the current stock model and I think KF might be the way to go. I will read back on the lengthy thread at some point to learn more. I am wondering if there is a way to do a rocker-bogie system with KF with animated deployment :)

Thanks for all you do!

You're very welcome, and I'm more than happy to help. Post some sketches of what you've got in mind; I'll give you some idea of what we can do and how. If I'm catching what you mean correctly, a rocker bogie is not easy, but entirely possible. I made one already that I never finished or released. All the modules, if I remember correctly, are in the plugin.

1.0.x, of course, until we finish our work for 1.1+

12 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

You're very welcome, and I'm more than happy to help. Post some sketches of what you've got in mind; I'll give you some idea of what we can do and how. If I'm catching what you mean correctly, a rocker bogie is not easy, but entirely possible. I made one already that I never finished or released. All the modules, if I remember correctly, are in the plugin.

1.0.x, of course, until we finish our work for 1.1+

Great! I can honestly live with some compromise between realism and playability, specially if it makes it easier to rig and works better in-game. I'll work on some sketches and ideas but I can definitely wait until you guys work out the kinks for 1.1+

The rover wheels that I am 100% sure I am doing are the ones for Lunokhod and Mars Science Lab (Curiosity). I am also considering Mars Exploration Rovers (Spirit/Opportunity) which would be similar to MSL, and the ESA ExoMars rover

Thanks!

Oooof. The rocking bogie is one thing... Doing it hung on the end of those legs and setting up the retract is not likely to be easy. Don't let me put you off, but you've set yourself quite a challenge there :)

I don't have anything that will replicate the turn on the spot steering either, I'm afraid. Not yet, anyway. 

16 hours ago, lo-fi said:

I don't have a working copy of 3D studio any more and blender makes me turn into an enormous green rage monster. Isn't pretty :(

Hey try MODO!

The indie version isn't bad either, some limits, but they're manageable for KSP game-art.

3 minutes ago, martinezfg11 said:

Hey try MODO!

The indie version isn't bad either, some limits, but they're manageable for KSP game-art.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. 

1 hour ago, lo-fi said:

Oooof. The rocking bogie is one thing... Doing it hung on the end of those legs and setting up the retract is not likely to be easy. Don't let me put you off, but you've set yourself quite a challenge there :)

I don't have anything that will replicate the turn on the spot steering either, I'm afraid. Not yet, anyway. 

How about splitting it into two parts to semi-fake it. Essentially a single wheel on an angled suspension (front) and two wheel on a bogie (rear)?

Just quickly did up
jM9p2u7.pngyCatXjt.png
And realize I don't really know how I'll need to set up the suspension arms.

Doing this for Stock KSP, I'd make that "trailing" arm a rotating piston so the wheel could travel directly up and down along a straight suspension path.  (I'd also need to make 2 versions for the two directions of said piston/arm.)  But there's been lots of talk of rigging suspension in KF, so a rotating arm?  Either way, the "small" pistons on the side will be pistons tracking the arm rotation.

2 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Forgot.  DB Link to the blender file   https://www.dropbox.com/s/zp2p8ak6io09bij/bigwheel.blend?dl=0

No colliders yet.

Never a need for a mesh collider on a wheel. Popping a box collider or two on in Unity is quite sufficient and performs far better. Lovely work, though! 

Regarding the rotating/trailing arm... It's a little more work setting up a part that doesn't have mirror symmetry and there are some special methods I've built into the plugin to allow it. May be best if I make a quick YouTube tutorial. 

Edited by lo-fi

1 hour ago, lo-fi said:

Never a need for a mesh collider on a wheel. Popping a box collider or two on in Unity is quite sufficient and performs far better. Lovely work, though! 

Regarding the rotating/trailing arm... It's a little more work setting up a part that doesn't have mirror symmetry and there are some special methods I've built into the plugin to allow it. May be best if I make a quick YouTube tutorial. 

One of the reasons I didn't make one.  I'm deeply suspicious of the collision helper thing KSP has started using.  All that said, I usually add a box or similar for the suspension mechanism so the part can be moved around in the VAB.  The wheel collider in Unity covers off the wheel itself.

The blender file was updated to split the tire and wheel.  Should make "broken" wheels a tad easier.  And lazy texturing, which is my usual reason.  :-)

I also stretched the "tread knobs" a bit. 

hTIEBO8.png

9 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

One of the reasons I didn't make one.  I'm deeply suspicious of the collision helper thing KSP has started using.  All that said, I usually add a box or similar for the suspension mechanism so the part can be moved around in the VAB.  The wheel collider in Unity covers off the wheel itself.

FFR: That's exactly the way they should be set up. The wheel colliders don't work on their sides, so the collision enhancer in the wheel is there to stop it falling through the terrain in that situation, NOT to colliderwith the ground under normal operation where the wheel collider is doing its job. *cough* TR-2L *cough*. A sphere collider is the best thing to use, being the least performance hungry.

A box collider here or there in the suspension for selection and part collision is perfect. Colliders set to the "wheel colliders ignore" layer will not be clickable.

Feel free to grab some textures from KF, by the way. You'll find some suitable rubber/tyre textures you can paste in to get that looking good. The painting has a lovely impression of the pads being dark/worn rubber, with the rest that doesn't actually run on the ground that much being brown and dusty, which looks great.

Edited by lo-fi

Not to hurry you or anything, but could I/we have a rough estimate of release please?

A day? A week? A month? I loved this mod, especially the tracks, can't contain my excitement.

8 hours ago, Cyst said:

Not to hurry you or anything, but could I/we have a rough estimate of release please?

A day? A week? A month? I loved this mod, especially the tracks, can't contain my excitement.

I'm afraid it really is a case of "soon". 

We're attempting  to literally rewrite the wheel that the clever people at Nvidia got so wrong in U5. Not only for this mod, but hopefully for the good of all things wheeled.  

54 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

I'm afraid it really is a case of "soon". 

We're attempting  to literally rewrite the wheel that the clever people at Nvidia got so wrong in U5. Not only for this mod, but hopefully for the good of all things wheeled.  

Yes indeed. I seem to recall a set on cfg's for stock wheels once spoon a time. And I recall I didn't miss anything about the stock system :)

You guys planning a similar approach this time around with stock wheel compatibility?