1,282 members have voted

1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

*grin* :D Lots of stuff you hopefully won't even realise is there, because it just works. Well that's in intention, anyway, and part of the reason for the lengthy development cycle. But there are a good few new parts to play with, and the next project which sort of ties in is well underway...

Yeah, a nice electric blower fan would be perfect. Bonus points if it has a filter that needs cleaning, so it blows out dust particles because Jeb swiped the ventilation fan from R&D to propel himself around on his new hover cycle.

So I got this thing working this evening:

It doesn't do anything other than look pretty for the moment, but it's quite fun to use :) sizes of rubble need randomising and all that kind of stuff, but I'd like to think it has some potential...

Sorry if this sounds a bit blunt, but do you know what I need more than a (mostly useless) bulldozer blade? Some new/more/better wheels, landing gear, and landing LEGS! Those are things that I wish were being worked on right now. Just sayin'. :huh:

That being said, though, your stuff is still a 'must have' in my parts catalog, and I never use any other wheels besides yours, so keep up the great work, lo-fi! :) I'd rather you continue to think outside the box and keep creating oddball things that no one else has ever thought of than just rest on your laurels and never develop anything new again. So even if you're not working on stuff I want you to work on, I'm glad that you keep working on stuff. Hope that makes sense, lol. :sticktongue:

Happy Holidays, my friend!

:D

You've pretty much described my working method ;) In doing this (while I'm waiting on some other stuff to get done), I learn about things I previously hadn't know about, which opens up possibilities, generates ideas and improves my existing stuff. I'd get bored just turning out wheels and tracks (it's just a workflow now), so I tend to do it when I have a particular idea - it's really hard otherwise. Landing legs I will get to at some point, but setting the plugin up how I want is proving a challenge. The plugin framework for wheels and tracks is all there and stable now, so grab the tools and crank out some models if there's something particular you want to see in game. I'll put some effort into documenting it when the next release is out the door :)

And, of course, happy holidays! :D

http://youtu.be/OcbmIk-x-Zg

It doesn't do anything other than look pretty for the moment, but it's quite fun to use :) sizes of rubble need randomising and all that kind of stuff, but I'd like to think it has some potential...

Is wo der if tho could be integrate into mining some how. You should give roverdude a shout.

I'm not the one spending the time to make a mod, so what I'm saying isn't worth much, but still: it seems to me you should finish one thing before starting another, if only for the sake of keeping yourself sane and not letting all the things you could possibly put in a mod run away with you and spiral out of control.

http://youtu.be/OcbmIk-x-Zg

Those rocks look to me like miniature potato asteroid models (like the ones used to make asteroids currently).

Lo-Fi, I wouldn't mind some new landing gear for the MK3 Super Heavy part system. Think airliner or cargo plane style multi-wheeled gear units. That'd really make my day.

And how could we make that idea even more insane... and awesome as well? Give them an optional toggle into a repulsor too! Isn't that just totally insane? You better believe it!

Gaalidas, I like the way you think! We do need landing gear that doubles as repulsors! Would certainly help with the effort of getting MK3 stuff off of the ground when loaded. My current effort is trying to deliver a pair of Rockomax Jumbo 64 tanks, plus their landing gear, to Kerbin's North Pole. I've got a research base up there and, well, given all the driving around we've had to do, some of our machinery is threatening to run out of gas. So we've stripped the oxidizer from the biggest gas cans we can fit in the MK3 Heavy system, fitted them with wheels, docking ports, probe cores, lights, and electrical supplies, and tried to fly them out to the North.

Well, 12 jet engines and the biggest array of floppy wing panels I've ever seen later, I've managed to get off the runway, start to make my northbound turn, and that's about as far as I've gotten, given that unforseen problems have hit on a few occasions. (Who knew you actually have to strut your payloads before making a turn with a MK3 Super-Heavy? I didn't until the fuel tank dislodged from the docking port, smashed into the cargo doors, and caused an explosion.)

Managed one run where I got close and had to set it down, only to find the stock landing gear isn't tough enough to handle that kind of weight settling onto it at 70 m/s. Hence thinking "hey, we could really, really use some sturdy landing gear" and "I know tank tracks make decent gear, but they don't retract."

And yes, I know tank tracks work as good landing gear from experience. Got a couple planes that used that in 0.25.

I've been considering attempting NEAR lately. I installed FAR a long time ago and all it managed to do was confuse mechjeb and flip my rockets when I started the gravity turn. I have heard it's a lot better now, and simpler with NEAR to make function.

As for tracks that retract, that is an awesome idea! What do you think, lo-fi? I'd say both a track that that can retract vertically into a compartment like a landing gear unit would, and perhaps one which would retract sideways, or better yet extend slightly, rotate sideways, and then vertically retract. Better yet if they had a half-way animation point where the "wheels" inside the track deployed repulsor disks. that would be some ultimate stuff there. I could even see that being useful for rovers, when/if those retracting/self-leveling landing legs come into the light.

Yes, I know, I'm not helping the situation of trying to get lo-fi to publish a release. We consumers of modded stuff are never happy with what we have, are we?

To get the effect of retracting, I fiddled around with an inverted cargo bay (or a regular one, when RetroFuture and/or the OPT pack came out with top & bottom opening cargo modules) and IR parts to pull some repulsors into the hull when not in use. IR parts aren't very steady though, and have some weird wobbly issues. Never did try them for parts with more complicated suspensions though. We'd need an easy way to, with one action, lower the suspensions to their retracted level and then lock them into place so that they don't try to respond to their own change in height as they are retracted. Otherwise it'll be like trying to lift a ball and chain straight by twisting the end of the chain. Gravity doesn't like it when you try to cheat it. Long story short, you come close to a broken finger if you try that. My left index finger still has a sore nerve and it's been years.

Edited by Gaalidas

I've been considering attempting NEAR lately. I installed FAR a long time ago and all it managed to do was confuse mechjeb and flip my rockets when I started the gravity turn. I have heard it's a lot better now, and simpler with NEAR to make function.

Ehh, you'll still flip your rockets turning if you don't adjust. You have to turn very gently.

Also, the hovercraft hits 250m/s over water and 2 dead kerbals per flight over anything else, if anyone's wondering.

Ehh, you'll still flip your rockets turning if you don't adjust. You have to turn very gently.

Also, the hovercraft hits 250m/s over water and 2 dead kerbals per flight over anything else, if anyone's wondering.

In that case, pea soup physics is the way for me. I use mechjeb usually, so the turns are pretty gentle and controlled... and then they suddenly flip and aim for the ground at full throttle. I'm pretty sure that's not the "right direction towards space" that we're aiming for.

Firstly awesome mod, especially love the tracks, I use them for all rovers!

The unfinished texture for the smallest tracks has been annoying me a bit though, so I went ahead and quickly sorted it out.

GSofoWV.jpg

The file is below for anyone who wants it, you just replace the old file with this one.

here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0jTBhRYrQ-8dzdWRXBxT09kNnc/view?usp=sharing

Also wondering how to add a normal map for the part, as I haven't got a clue and would like to add one.

I'm currently doing a challenge to drive to the south pole and I'm having a problem with the huge wheels. They seem unable to cope with anything but the smoothest terrain - if I meet a slope of any kind, I get flung around. It's like the wheels are just very thin poles that snag on the ground. Here's a video of the problem (sorry for potato quality):

How can I limit it?

I've experienced similar things with those wheels in the past. In my case, however, the worst was when a single wheel part in an array of 16 medium wheels got stuck on the ground and ripped the entire craft to tiny bits.

I've noticed on the large wheels that if you tip the vehicle back far enough, the wheel mesh will begin to clip with the ground. my only guess is that the area being used for the collision with the ground is too small for the total size of the wheel. Your problem, however, feels like the collision area is too low and too large for the wheel, causing it to clip with the ground before the suspension collision area can react. I'm no expert in any of that though, so it's all speculation at this point.

Those large wheels are rather hard to keep stable though. They need some work to really be usable.

If you're patient, you ought to be able to coat the upper surfaces of that hovercraft in solar panels. That should go a long way towards increasing the range, although the effectiveness will be decreased at the poles.