1,282 members have voted

1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

Haha mate you just made my day! Ive tested the surface track and came up with something I think thats been tried since there are wheels in this game. I think I finally made something motorcyclish. And thanks to your plugin it even behaves somewhat like one :D

Edited by Haifi

That's seriously close to that video shared a while back (some quad-zillion posts ago, roughly) about a guy who made a track-powered sled. Just replace the back surface track with a few of those skids and it'd be really freakishly close.

Looks awesome though. You can really achieve that wheelie thing with these wheels/tracks what with their high starting torque and their suspension. That reminds me, I need to get back in and do some more testing with the torque values. I was messing around in .25 with the curves and had tweaked my configs with about an average of 6 extra definitions in those keys for various levels in order to try and smooth out that sudden acceleration that was causing my large-wheeled rovers to flip upside down with just a tap of the accelerator. I wonder how difficult it would be to write a wheel-tweakables-style set of tweakables for the wheels and tracks to do things like torque modification, perhaps with a few presets and whatnot (assuming we don't already have that and I'm not being stupid right now). I'm gonna have to do some fiddling around I guess. The trouble with tweakables is that I hate having to re-tweak for every wheel in the editor. Ugh, my brain is getting cluttered now. Must... stop... thinking.... gah!

Oh, hey, while you're at it with the surface track, how about a surface wheel too? just the same model, except a wheel where the track is. Heck, you could probably use the track, but just give it only one "wheel" inside of it. Either way, that might be the one thing that could make that motorcycle thing even better.

Edited by Gaalidas

I had so much fun with that tracked version already, kind of giggling all the time lol. It could be just me, but perhaps the tracks give it a more kerbal style look and feel :D

Edited by Haifi

The sky is blue because we brainwashed you to think it's blue. Blue does not exist, it is only an illusion of the mind.

"We" are not there yet, but "you" might be. For what is "there" but another form of "here" that we are not "at" yet? Thus, everywhere that is "here" is "there" also. And all that is "there" can also be "here" given the right circumstances. From this point of view, you are "there" but from your point of view, "there" is "here" and the rest of us are "there," and "here" is where we are.

It does seem to be those that are in the Development version. I think we're getting close to a release though, so no need to loose your sanity over it.

By the way, lo-fi... I've re-done some optimizations to the code, but for the most part that does not make any changes to functionality in any way. In its current state, the project compiles with absolutely no warnings or errors. Very impressive. I'm holding off updating Github with any new optimizations or additions until I know you won't revert them when you update.

That's seriously close to that video shared a while back (some quad-zillion posts ago, roughly) about a guy who made a track-powered sled. Just replace the back surface track with a few of those skids and it'd be really freakishly close.

Looks awesome though. You can really achieve that wheelie thing with these wheels/tracks what with their high starting torque and their suspension. That reminds me, I need to get back in and do some more testing with the torque values. I was messing around in .25 with the curves and had tweaked my configs with about an average of 6 extra definitions in those keys for various levels in order to try and smooth out that sudden acceleration that was causing my large-wheeled rovers to flip upside down with just a tap of the accelerator. I wonder how difficult it would be to write a wheel-tweakables-style set of tweakables for the wheels and tracks to do things like torque modification, perhaps with a few presets and whatnot (assuming we don't already have that and I'm not being stupid right now). I'm gonna have to do some fiddling around I guess. The trouble with tweakables is that I hate having to re-tweak for every wheel in the editor. Ugh, my brain is getting cluttered now. Must... stop... thinking.... gah!

Oh, hey, while you're at it with the surface track, how about a surface wheel too? just the same model, except a wheel where the track is. Heck, you could probably use the track, but just give it only one "wheel" inside of it. Either way, that might be the one thing that could make that motorcycle thing even better.

Yep, can do a surface wheel. That was just what I felt like making at the time :) The torque tweakable already alters the torque curves, as it just scales them before applying. Can modify the slider range, but 0-2 seems to work well for most things, and EC consumption gets updated too.

Wait a second... Where are those mini-tracks from? Is that in the dev version, but not 1.7 (unless I am blind as a headless bat)? Can we all have access to that dev version? Why is the sky blue? Are we there yet? ARE WE THERE YET?!

I am just full of questions.

Close. Very close. Pushing on a bit more than I would have, having decided it's time to go beta.

The sky is blue because we brainwashed you to think it's blue. Blue does not exist, it is only an illusion of the mind.

"We" are not there yet, but "you" might be. For what is "there" but another form of "here" that we are not "at" yet? Thus, everywhere that is "here" is "there" also. And all that is "there" can also be "here" given the right circumstances. From this point of view, you are "there" but from your point of view, "there" is "here" and the rest of us are "there," and "here" is where we are.

It does seem to be those that are in the Development version. I think we're getting close to a release though, so no need to loose your sanity over it.

By the way, lo-fi... I've re-done some optimizations to the code, but for the most part that does not make any changes to functionality in any way. In its current state, the project compiles with absolutely no warnings or errors. Very impressive. I'm holding off updating Github with any new optimizations or additions until I know you won't revert them when you update.

No changes to make now, go for it and I'll update this end.

I just wanted to drop by and let you know these parts are made of awesome! Rovers look a whole lot cooler and are a whole lot more sturdy. I'm sending his baby to Duna first thing.

http://i.imgur.com/VV83szG.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/oHtrdO3.png?1

Cheers dude, nice looking rover! Send us a few pics on Duna?

@Haifi, I can't quite believe that actually works. Awesome!

Ill see if i can do a vid for youtube tomorrow, if you like. I'd love to have a higher speed version of the tracks, tested the bike with scaled down SRB's and did hit around 100m/s without crashing it :confused:

So q.e.d. its steerable when you get past the learning curve :D

Totally possible, nearly impossible to control in a meaningful way. Have to use engines to keep it upright, so I think it could be done with any wheel and enough reaction wheels/RCS/engines. A better designer than me may come up with something superior:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59567837/unicycleofdeath.PNG

Hah! That totally makes me wanna recreate Claptrap in KSP, i might give that a spin.

For reference:

borderlands-claptrap-robot-deluxe-action-figure-640x640.jpg

Ill see if i can do a vid for youtube tomorrow, if you like. I'd love to have a higher speed version of the tracks, tested the bike with scaled down SRB's and did hit around 100m/s without crashing it :confused:

Higher speed version of the tracks, you say?

Screenshot%202015-01-10%2020.10.04.png

I did notice that, as soon as the tracks exceed their normal speed (16-ish m/s), it's basically impossible to keep the vehicle going straight. Better not touch the steering!

I also learned it's nearly impossible to destroy the rover chassis, and it also floats very... unusually. =)

Screenshot%202015-01-10%2020.11.09.png

Hmmm, that does give me some ideas... Vids always welcome here!

Edit: you may find that's the very strong reaction wheels in the DSR chassis causing that, unless you disabled torque or run in docking mode? KSP floatation is... a law unto itself, though I'm currently reworking the DSR range, which will include some config value tweaking. Yep, they're tough!

Edited by lo-fi

I love the DSR's durability, though. They ought to be extremely durable for the amount of punishment they go through.

Actually, that reminds me, I ought to try some destructive testing to see just... how durable they are...

I think maybe I need to perhaps drop one from orbit...

I did notice something re: the skids - as you can see in the picture, they tend to sink into the ground. They also have a strange behavior when moving at high speeds - they seem to catch on the terrain now and then with a little jerk or twitch. I think it's a function of how fast you are accelerating, but I'm not sure. Low thrust on that same engine resulted in smooth-ish movement, high thrust = twitchy. Maybe it just has to do with them clipping into the ground though. They also appear to be lubricated by a never-ending fountain of grease, having very little friction...

Screenshot%202015-01-10%2020.22.31.png

EDIT: on some terrain they sink (runway?), on other terrain they don't seem to, or not as much... they're a little bit catchy/twitchy/jerky all the time under acceleration though, I think...

SECOND EDIT: Hahaha, I also did a nosedive straight into the ground at 100 m/s with that rover body, and every other part of the ship blew up instantly, but it survived. IMMORTAL!

THIRD EDIT: And the reaction wheel is strong enough that you can just roll the rover around if your wheels blow up. That thing is awesome. Pretty sure Jeb is the only one who didn't vomit profusely.

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

Ahhh, I don't think they've been tested much. Looks like it's a collider hitting the ground (only the wheel colliders should). Thanks, I'll look into it. They're something Spanner came up with: useful for making snowmobiles and strapping Kerbals to ;)