1,282 members have voted

1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

I'll nab that if you don't mind :), been as though I already have a model similar to it.

I hear ya:) I need top-mounted heavy wheels that can turn widely (important for long vehicles) and then have all suspension and stuff hidden inbetween them, not on the right/left side so the whole construction is narrow and fits underneath the sides of a frame :) If you can do it I promise I can collaborate and prepare special version of frame so it all fits nicely;)

Maybe I can take up that offer in the future instead?

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

I really, really, really need to read some of the dev update notes... Found a set of wheels that I thought were going to be completely awesome, find I can't drive on 'em. No big deal. I know what they're supposed to do, and once they do work... I'll have fun driving sideways.

I really, really, really need to read some of the dev update notes... Found a set of wheels that I thought were going to be completely awesome, find I can't drive on 'em. No big deal. I know what they're supposed to do, and once they do work... I'll have fun driving sideways.

Is it the most recently added wheel? 'cause you may want to look at this post ;)

Yeah, the meccanum no worky yet :(

btw, I may have just released 1.8 beta... At what point does one post a release thread in the general add-ons forum?

When your level of insanity reaches that critical point where you feel you are not suffering enough and need about 50 billion more people asking you to change your mod to fit their vision of it.

Honestly, I don't know.

Sage advice, I'll wait for the dust to settle. Are more people really going to download if posted to the release forum though???

A big, big thank you to all of you who've been involved so far. Testing, suggesting, inspiring, configuring, texturing... Its an absolute pleasure!

Just downloaded 1.8 - Thanks! best wheels out there. Did notice one thing while downloading - the first page of this thread has the license as CC BY-NC-SA while the KerbalStuff page lists it as GLP3.

Sage advice, I'll wait for the dust to settle. Are more people really going to download if posted to the release forum though???

You'll get the people who A) don't visit the dev forum, and B) won't download stuff until its officially released. I know when i started looking at the forum I didn't venture into development. Now its the opposite "who cares about released mods, the real cool stuff is in development!" :P

Ah, got ya, Zodius.

Yeah, it's entirely possible to make multi wheel gear, there's a set in development. Basically, the only limitation with the KF plugin is that you can't make a single part that has wheels each side that need independent control: A 4 wheel buggy as a single part, for example. Other than that, it's designed to give complete freedom of design. The same modules run the tracks, wheels, screw and skid - even the bulldozer blade I was playing around with. The same would be true for landing gear and landing legs. The only limit is time and imagination :) did you have a design in mind?

I'm pretty sure the Repulsors are very heavily tweaked wheels, so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have any 'thrustvector'.
This is not an answer!!

With help from smokescreen and hotrockets ,i have managed to add some visual effects to the AlphaRepulsor.So for all who want to try it,here is MM patch:

@PART[AlphaRepulsor]:FINAL

{

@EFFECTS

{

@RepulsorEffect

{

MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST

{

name = glow

modelName = MP_Nazari/FX/flameionK

transformName = Mesh001

collide = True

collideRatio = 0.5

localRotation = 0,180,0

localPosition = 0,0,-5

fixedScale = 1

sizeClamp = 10

initialDensity = 0.6

physical = True

stickiness = 0.1

randomInitalVelocityOffsetMaxRadius = 3.5

emission

{

power = 0 0.5 //if the effect is too intense when low,change this to lower number

power = 1 0.7 //if the effect is too intense when high,change this to lower number

}

energy

{

power = 0 0.5

power = 1 1

}

speed

{

power = 0 5

power = 1 6

}

size

{

power = 0 2.5

power = 1 2

}

logGrow

{

power = 0 10

power = 1 5.3

}

logGrowScale

{

power = 0 1

power = 1 2.5

}

}

}

}

}

80LAqxV.png?1

EDIT:this works with AlphaRepulsor from 1.7

Edited by sebi.zzr

That looks pretty cool already, but Im a bit reluctant to install hotrockets again, last time I installed it many engines had 2 different effects and nazari has not been on for months. Is there an all in one MM package for 0.90? Ive got 50+ mods installed and many effects were borked in 0.24.2 already... Bit tiresome to figure out which configs are working and which are not.

That looks pretty cool already, but Im a bit reluctant to install hotrockets again, last time I installed it many engines had 2 different effects and nazari has not been on for months. Is there an all in one MM package for 0.90? Ive got 50+ mods installed and many effects were borked in 0.24.2 already... Bit tiresome to figure out which configs are working and which are not.

Smokescreen is updated to 0.90. For hotrockets you only need core pack and you can delete all *.cfg except FX folder.

Well, you can delete all the configs, but then you'll only get the added functionality in the game, and not the actual effects applied to any of the parts. I've used Hotrockets for some time now, and the only time I had problems was when I tried to install a sound update mod and hotrockets together without trying to merge the effect definitions in the MM files.

If you're not into complicated sound mods and addons, then you should have little trouble with the configs.

- - - Updated - - -

This is not an answer!!

Oh but that is the answer you're getting. BAM! Okay, I have no clue what I mean by that... so feel free to disregard....

With help from smokescreen and hotrockets ,i have managed to add some visual effects to the AlphaRepulsor.So for all who want to try it,here is MM patch:

@PART[AlphaRepulsor]:FINAL

{

@EFFECTS

{

@RepulsorEffect

{

MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST

{

name = glow

modelName = MP_Nazari/FX/flameionK

transformName = Mesh001

collide = True

collideRatio = 0.5

localRotation = 0,180,0

localPosition = 0,0,-5

fixedScale = 1

sizeClamp = 10

initialDensity = 0.6

physical = True

stickiness = 0.1

randomInitalVelocityOffsetMaxRadius = 3.5

emission

{

power = 0 0.5 //if the effect is too intense when low,change this to lower number

power = 1 0.7 //if the effect is too intense when high,change this to lower number

}

energy

{

power = 0 0.5

power = 1 1

}

speed

{

power = 0 5

power = 1 6

}

size

{

power = 0 2.5

power = 1 2

}

logGrow

{

power = 0 10

power = 1 5.3

}

logGrowScale

{

power = 0 1

power = 1 2.5

}

}

}

}

}

EDIT:this works with AlphaRepulsor from 1.7

That's some awesome stuff. Now that the release is upon us, I do hope you'll continue to experiment with this. the effect is pretty, though it might be a little too... hmm... busy? A more subtle and possibly slightly smaller effect might be more appropriate. We're not trying to burn a hole in the ground when we turn them on... as awesome as that would be when the repulsors are turned on full blast. That would be one way to burn the turkey dinner in 1 second flat.

If you'd like to model and texture something I can certainly rig it up and configure for you, it doesn't take me long ;) Only caveat is that the model needs to be symmetrical left to right for that kind of mounting, but that shouldn't be too much of a hardship with that design. The KF plugin does the steering like that as standard, so it'll be a good choice.
I'll nab that if you don't mind :), been as though I already have a model similar to it.

Maybe I can take up that offer in the future instead?

Yah, that would be great ZodiusInfuser:) I think the original wheels are symmetrical so there shouldn't be any problems. Btw is it possible for the suspension to do something like this? (probably not much needed now but would be a nice future proof feature when there are some scattered rocks on planet surfaces;))

Oscillating_axles_features.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, and thanks for the heads up. Now fixed :)

congrats on your release mate! new tracks and wheels rocks:)

Edited by riocrokite

Cool, I'll check that out later :)

I'm afraid the oscillating suspension is something we cant do currently. Any type of swing arm with two wheels on either end either needs physics joints in the middle or some very clever plugin trickery which currently doesn't exist. A range of Kerbal style construction type wheels would be kinda cool, though.