[0.90] Stanford Torus 0.6

michaelhester07

ANYTHING CAN BE LIFTED INTO ORBIT WITH ENOUGH THRUST

Paging Whackjob...

Has anyone nudged him, btw? I know he likes to stay stock but 1,200m has to be a lot of temptation :-) It would be nice to see his comment on this if nothing else.

• 2 weeks later...
I must say, this is awesome! Now to just be able to put it together in VAB, any suggestions?

Use the Hanger Extender Plugin (should be on curse), it allows you to move the camera outside the VAB or SPH for building excessively large crafts or stations. Also Tweak scale is also a good mod to use on the Torus Parts, as you can scale the parts down considerably while you assemble the station.

Use the Hanger Extender Plugin (should be on curse), it allows you to move the camera outside the VAB or SPH for building excessively large crafts or stations. Also Tweak scale is also a good mod to use on the Torus Parts, as you can scale the parts down considerably while you assemble the station.

Got the Hanger Extender plugin, which helped a bit - I'll look for the Tweak scale addon. I have tried a few different sequences of parts, but ran into the problem of where to attach docking clamps (and which ones to use). I guess I'll just keep experimenting. Thanks for the suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Had to sign up to the forum because this thing is to amazing, but frustrating - most likely just me though.

I have the hanger extension mod and I can "build" the ring outside the VAB. My question is "Are the parts suppose to connect together? If so how I cant seem to work it out." Could you post a pic of the whole thing assembled or a quick guide as to what connects to what. Or just let me know if I have missed the point.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I made a little config file patch that adds Modular Kolonization System generators to the Torus parts. I named it Torus MKSifier, enjoy! :D

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8zAlgvrk6rSU1Z3X0FSaGVPcDQ/edit?usp=sharing

What it is:

TorusMKSifier is a simple config file addition applied via ModuleManager to turn michealhester07's amazing Stanford Torus parts into large versions of RoverDude's Modular Kolonization System generators. The way it works is I've copied parts of existing MKS config files and tweaked the values to suit the larger parts.

Required mods:

RoverDude's Modular Kolonization System (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79588-0-24-2-USI-Kolonization-Systems)

michaelhester07's Stanford Torus (See your current thread :P)

ialdabaoth's Module Manager, maintained by sarbian at the time of writing this (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55219-Module-Manager-1-5-6)

Recommended:

A way to generate lots and lots of power - Station Science Labs generate some power, but you'll probably find yourself needing quite a few of them to power your station. I wanted to encourage fancier generators/beamed power networks/solar arrays rather than giving enough free power to suit your needs. There are plenty of options to choose from, but if you're having trouble finding one, KSP Interstellar has fancy beamed power networks that should do the trick.

Module multipliers:

Torus == 4x Kerbitat, 10x of every inflateable storage module

Habitation Module == Habitation Module

Biodome == 4x Aeroponics, 1x Biolab

Station Science Lab == 2x Colony Command Center, 10x Power Distribution Unit

Forest == Agricultural

Space Dock == 2x Refinery, 2x Fabrication, , 2x Factory, 2x Assembly,

Station Docking Module == 2x Machinery Plant, 3x Repair Shop

For instance, the test station with a krew of 456 had:

1x Torus

12x Habitation Module

8x Biodome

6x Station Science Lab (Not enough to power it!)

16x Forest

1x Space Dock

1x Station Docking Module

Here's an old screenshot from before I fixed the final issues:

(Pretend the description doesn't exist, I've solved those problems long ago :cool:)

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Yski

• 1 month later...

Been a long time since I visited this thread. I sort of put it out there and let it fly. Since im back into KSP I'm planning to update this mod. I still want to do a progressive science experiment mod to go with it too. I'll dig up my dev thread to list the plans. I'l also want to try the mksified changes.

Released version 0.4 with mostly stability enhancement and bug fixes. When building my torus today I discovered a glitch: The station habitat may prevent the torus from finalizing properly. Don't use the station habitat module until I've released a fix for it (unless you want to watch a 1km wide explosion).

Hey, I know this is probably a stupid as hell question, but... how is it even possible to get these into the air? How i it even possible to get these landed safely? I can see using the Launchpads, but... how would you move them? I can see dozens of rockets being used in the pics, but that's kinda ridiculous.

Also, I want the solar panels, but I don't want to have to download something I'd never use, considering I have MKS and OKS... could you perhaps release just the solar panels?

Hey, I know this is probably a stupid as hell question, but... how is it even possible to get these into the air? How i it even possible to get these landed safely? I can see using the Launchpads, but... how would you move them? I can see dozens of rockets being used in the pics, but that's kinda ridiculous.

Also, I want the solar panels, but I don't want to have to download something I'd never use, considering I have MKS and OKS... could you perhaps release just the solar panels?

Just download the pack, install it, then delete all the parts that you don't want. That's what I did, I'm not currently using Extraplanetary Launchpads, so I just deleted the EP parts from the Torus parts folder to save on memory.

Moving these parts is very difficult, but it is doable. Or if you want it in space without the hassle of trying to launch it, use the HyperEdit mod to put the station into orbit, or the bases on the surface.

If you want to launch the torus hull it should be noted that you can surface attach pretty much anything to it, including 90 fuel tanks and Kerbodyne rocket clusters. That is how you would get it to orbit without EPL. It might be expensive that way in a career mode though.

Version 5 has large fuel tanks you might get use out of.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.