[0.90] Stanford Torus 0.6

michaelhester07

LoL ok now I have to make it actually Elysium sized. Yea I estimate the station in the movie is 100 km diameter. I only made mine 1.2km diameter so that the physics wouldn't break. Even at that size the physics are having a tough time staying together. From the look of that youtube clip my station would only be as big as the star destroyer from the clip.

LoL ok now I have to make it actually Elysium sized. Yea I estimate the station in the movie is 100 km diameter. I only made mine 1.2km diameter so that the physics wouldn't break. Even at that size the physics are having a tough time staying together. From the look of that youtube clip my station would only be as big as the star destroyer from the clip.

Actually it was 60 km http://blog.wolframalpha.com/2013/08/16/elysium/

I wonder how guy from this clip managed to get it so big without his physics crashing, welding mod could have helped but still...

Not sure if you saw this article but there is a lot of useful info there.

What else can we determine about Elysium? Well, based on its angular diameter as seen from the surface, one can determine its altitude. I was unable to get an exact measurement of its angular diameter, but I estimate that Elysium appeared at least as large as the Sun, which gives us an upper limit on its orbital distance.

The formula for angular diameter is:

Formula for angular diameter,

where δ is the angular diameter, d is the actual diameter of the object, and D is the distance from the viewer. The angular diameter of the Sun is 0.009177 radians. Putting this and the diameter of Elysium into the formula and solving for D yields an upper altitude of 6,538 kilometers, or 4,063 miles.

Edited by Myrten

• 1 month later...
can you include a .craft file, I find it very hard to assemble one, even with FShangarExtender.

The biggest problem for me are the camera controls, there doesn't seem to be any way to turn the camera towards the inside of the ring. Makes attaching anything in a sensible place a bit difficult.

..I wonder how hard it would be to make a quick mod to do replace the editor camera controls?

Edited by Yski

• 1 month later...

Hi MichaelHester,

As I've tried to notify you of several times now, I forked the Mass Drivers from the mod (as the CDDL-1 license allows it, as long as I credit you), and re-released them as a separate mod...

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/103511-Pre-Release-0-90-FIXED-Netherdyne-Mass-Driver-Mod

I seem to be experiencing a problem with the Mass Accelerators, however. Instead of simulating recoil (Newton's Third Law: for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction) as I would expect, and indeed initially thought was the case, the Mass Accelerators seem to in many cases being accelerating themselves in the *SAME* (rather than opposite) direction as the payload- despite the fact that this breaks all the laws of physics...

I could use some help figuring this out. And if I was wrong, and the Mass Accelerators do NOT simulate recoil (and the existing acceleration is just due to friction with the loading-rails on horizontal designs), I would ask that you release a new version of the .DLL that causes the Mass Accelerators to now simulate recoil (and would allow me to use it in my fork by still using the CDDL-1 license, allowing me to replace the earlier .DLL with the newer one...)

Thanks again for your awesome work! I hope you'll address my issue relatively soon!

Regards,

Northstar

• 3 weeks later...

Jebediah broke down and cried upon hearing this news. =(

Okay, it looks like I'm going to have to take over here. =\ What happened to the hatch placement on the science lab?

The distribution file was very sloppy but that doesn't matter anymore. =\ I'll see what I can do about it.

=( What gives with that hatch on the science lab, I needed it near the bottom! How the hell are u supposed to use it as a base if you can't get in and out easily? =\

Anyway, I'm getting more serious about taking over this project, I need to recruit some 3D d00dz, I'll be doing the programming.

The hatch placement on the science lab moved to the top because when you used it on a torus station you couldn't get into it. Getting out had a strong chance of clipping into the station and blowing everything up.

sorry bout the ground base. I hope you brought KAS for ladder parts (they do let you place ladders right?)

u know, I never could figure out how to use those super-large parts. =\ The 25m ring looked interesting but I had no way of launching it and EL wasn't working well enough to do anything with it. That left the science lab, due to the fact that it looks like it should be in a gravity environment, I therefore decided to use it as a lander. I gave it some fuel and crap (in the part) bolted on some engines and sent it on its way...

I can see you using the science lab part on a base. Like i had said I moved the door so that it doesn't clip into a torus hull when you place it. Bad things can happen when a kerbal steps out into a clipped hull (like a whole station blowing up). I moved the other module (the habitat module)'s door for the same reason. The downside is that this will require you to engineer a ladder on the side of it for your future bases if you use it on a world with a lot of gravity (eve, duna).

The 25m ring launch... Just strap 5 kerbodyne tanks with KR-2Ls together to handle the weight. Remember: anything can fly if you put enough thrust under it.

=\

I managed to get blender installed but I didn't realize that ksp had custom file formats for all this ****... How am I supposed to develop for this? Also, I re-added the biodome farm because that's a useful part for colonization, especially when TAC life support is added.

That's simply epic. ;) We need the inside part

One thing that catches my soon-to-be aerospace engineer eye. The outer torus edges are sharp. That shape would require crazy amount of structural elements to support it. It should be more torus-like, with smooth sides.

• 2 weeks later...

Y0zers, I've been playing around with the StationHabitat module. I managed to do quite a bit of damage to it... The models are now roughly half as complicated as they used to be. More remarkably though, the kerbals are now visible from flight view!!! Numerous glitches and problems with the model's encoding remain. =( The airlock is broken because I had to clean up a bunch of detritus around it. I'm extremely noob with Blender and there are a lot of things that need to be fixed and cleaned up before this new version can be released, if you want to help me with this, I can send you my WIP. (Requires Raster Prop Monitor).

Anyone tried to walk inside the torus while on EVA?

Also, would be nice for a plugin to spin up the torus to the same rate as before, after all the time warps, loads/saves etc. Otherwise the amount of propellant consumed for spin-ups would be crazy.

Anyone tried to walk inside the torus while on EVA?

Also, would be nice for a plugin to spin up the torus to the same rate as before, after all the time warps, loads/saves etc. Otherwise the amount of propellant consumed for spin-ups would be crazy.

Makes you wonder eh... how someone would spin up a stanford torus so that there's 1G worth of gravity inside.

During a test with my biosphere framework I found that centrifugal force actually does work in the game. I had a kerbal inside a biosphere while the ship's thrusters were lit up and it put the ship into a rather strong roll. The only thing left would be making the kerbal believe he is landed. I wanted to have real gravity effect in a stanford torus but couldn't figure out how to do it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.