[0.90] Stanford Torus 0.6

michaelhester07

I've had a spinning station on my previous save. Not a torus, a mast-and-a-hub design with infernal robotics. I've used two sets of engines atttached to the ends, one for spinning up, one for spinning down. You can do the same here. You don't need a very powerful ones. I've used those LV-1's for a station of around 20 tons, and that was rather overpowered. A pair of Mainsailsshould do the job. Not very fast tho, but fast is bad here. Fast is always bad where big masses are concerned.

For a 25M torus, I'd suggest just adding a spin animation to the model, like a part in LLL does. now for the BIIIG torus, the spin-up would be accomplished by two stock nuclear rockets rotated 90 degrees in pinwheel formation, that will, after maybe 20 minutes, achieve the desired spin. I have a radial attachment port that should do the trick there. Then you would need a spin decoupler to attach a docking rig... Preserving the spin through scene changes/save-load might be possible with a plugin applied to the spin decoupler.

That science lab has some SERIOUS geometry problems. =( The airlock is so broken right now that kerbals die the instant they attempt EVA, I have no idea what's wrong. =( The thing has pervasive object placement issues. The most serious of which is that the IVA view is rendered after the EVA view so, in this model, you can see right through the central core... maybel i'll just move that to the other model... Tragically, the artwork shown is not visible in IVA -- ...? (guess where I got that!) Anyway, those kerbals seem to be having a bit too much fun. =P I can see why the author didn't want to maintain this anymore... =\

D6JRr2Z.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Lol I stopped maintaining this because I wanted to work on something else full time (it's that civilian population thing). Yesterday I decided to pick it back up, starting with solving the station kraken issue with the structural integrity field module.

The station kraken problem is a build up of momentum in the station's parts due to floating point error. For some reason physics are calculated with Float instead of Double. With Double there would be no kraken. This momentum is stored on the part's rigidbody velocity field. If I set that velocity to match the root part velocity there is no longer a buildup of sub part momentum. I tested this by launching a stanford torus with my cruiser parts mod and noted that with the field disabled that 2 huge power reactors on the bottom started spinning like a loose hose. With the field enabled they were stable in place.

With the SIF working I can fix the mark 2 hull so that the ground plate module works as intended. And with better modelling skill I can make the parts look a whole lot better than they used to.

You know, i would like to see some video about this mod working hand in hand with something like Karbonite or Kethane. would help a noob like me to understand how this will work, specially, i would like to see how you would send this ....... to any orbit

thanks

You know, i would like to see some video about this mod working hand in hand with something like Karbonite or Kethane. would help a noob like me to understand how this will work, specially, i would like to see how you would send this ....... to any orbit

thanks

Basically this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_torus

The use of Extraplanetary Launchpads is recommended. The torus in my mod won't weigh 10 million tons, more like 10 thousand so that it is practical to build in game. The construction idea is the same though:

Establish a ground base to mine materials. Get fuel with karbonite. Launch materials up to an orbiting station which performs the construction.

If you plan to launch it you'll need about 96 Kerbodyne KR 2L motors or 8 cruiser fusion engines if you use Netherdyne RnD alpha.

Didn't know I needed this mod but now I must have it omg.

i would like to see how you would send this ....... to any orbit

Extraplanetary Launchpads man. Orbital construction is practically required for this.

I would recommend using MKS with this as well for the logistics module. Repeatedly launching 400 tons of material at a time from the Mun to LMO gets old pretty fast. The first two... yea that was fun. My old tests took 16 launches to make up the materials needed.

• 3 weeks later...

yay! Let me know how I can help. I stripped all IVA from EVA and all EVA from IVA models and then stitched them back together using a hidden feature of Raster Prop Monitor. I couldn't get the geometry transforms to work, but I got everything else tweaked pretty good.

• 3 months later...
What kind of license do these parts have, I would like to use the Supercollider for the production of antimatter

Freethinker, from the OP

Also: The license I think is one of the creative commons ones now. I want people to feel free to make changes to my mod to suit their purpose. Materials related to it that I release will go to the curse site linked above.

Though the licence listed on Curse is CDDL (which is also open source thankfully ) But based on the orginal post's wishes id call it CC BY NC 4.0 (which is the same as Civilian Population)

When I took over Civ Pop,(which is also CC by-nc 4.0) MichaelHester07 sent me all source files for both projects, So your welcome to use the Supercollider (or any other part) with proper attribution to him. Lemme know if you need any of the model/texture or unity files.

When I took over Civ Pop,(which is also CC by-nc 4.0) MichaelHester07 sent me all source files for both projects, So your welcome to use the Supercollider (or any other part) with proper attribution to him. Lemme know if you need any of the model/texture or unity files.

Intresting to know. Do you know of any other mods which make use of the Supercollider part? seems a great part to produce rare resources, antimatter (for antimatter power/propulsion), exotic material (for warp travel).

Intresting to know. Do you know of any other mods which make use of the Supercollider part? seems a great part to produce rare resources, antimatter (for antimatter power/propulsion), exotic material (for warp travel).

No other mods use the Supercollider as far as i know. The only parts i know that have been utilized form this pack are one part which ive imported into Civilian Population. (the laser smelter) And the Mass Driver- http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/103511-Pre-Release-0-90-FIXED-Netherdyne-Mass-Driver-Mod

• 1 year later...

Great MOD it's great for space stations which I'm currently trying to work on its got fuel tanks that holds alot of fuel it's got everything. But theres one problem EVERYTHING IS HUGE.... Why???? like why can't the parts be smaller but still holed as much fuel the same stations and everything even though you can reduce the size to edit it but when you fly it, it creates lag and is very big at the launch pad dude reduce the size of everything by like 100000000x and the MOD would be great

Edited by Vanamonde
Language.

• 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, Darth Jeb said:

Seems like the curse download page is missing. Any other place to download it?

This mod is actually broken, all the models should be updated, otherwise you'll have terrible lag, if you're lucky.

• 2 years later...

Is this mod still alive? I'm dying to use to Stanford torus again but i don't think the Netherdyne mass accelerator mod adds it still. D:

It's so sad that all the legends of modding leave the community eventually, even if it is just an inevitability.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.