Best/most realistic Planet Pack?

jfull

I've been interested in trying out any mods that add additional planets to KSP for some time now, but a majority of the ones I see are either low quality, have planets that are redundant with existing ones, have very unrealistic planets, or simply contain more planets than I feel like adding.

What I'm asking is, what do you think is the best or most realistic planet pack?

I have heard that some planets come pre-packaged with Planet Factory, what ones are those?

Edited by jfull

Planet Factory with the Realism Overhaul, RSS cfgs. Those look the most real.

I actually think you might have misunderstood what I meant by realistic (or maybe I just didn't explain myself very well). I'm perfectly happy with the reduced planet scale of the stock KSP planets, and I don't think I'll ever touch RSS.

What I meant by unrealistic planets are just planets and moons that just couldn't realistically exist. Stuff like moons around moons, rings around moons (I believe the Sentar system has both of those...), or objects orbiting far too close to each other. Anything that just looks improbable.

Moons can have moons... They just have to be a lot smaller than the moon they're orbiting.

This is true, but due to gravitational interactions with the parent planet, the moon's moon wouldn't maintain its orbit forever

What I meant by unrealistic planets are just planets and moons that just couldn't realistically exist.

The 1/11th scale KSP stock solar system couldn't realistically exist.

Check out the Urania system, I've only given it a cursory glance but it looks good.

I have looked at it too, and unfortunately it isn't to my liking. Almost all the moons of Urania have moons themselves, and more importantly the textures of the planets do not resemble the style of the stock KSP planets.

The 1/11th scale KSP stock solar system couldn't realistically exist.

True, but I interpret the tiny solar system as being representative of a real-sized solar system. The smaller size is just to make it easier for players by reducing the dV to orbit and simplifying interplanetary transfers. It also makes it feasible to explore a large portion of the surface of planets in not too much time.

Edited by jfull

- What about Alternis Kerbol?

- I think that there are two planets included in the Planet Factory pack and that they are just lame placeholder example planets.

I think these planet packs have had very few actual users because of their steep memory requirements and thus very little criticism.

When the 64-bit windows client comes out (and if it's stable), way more people are gonna get these packs.

And the motivation to create better packs will increase I'm sure.

Edited by Smorfty

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.